Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Re: Marvin Bagley 

Post#481 » by KF10 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:56 pm

E-Balla wrote:
KF10 wrote:I heard people are comparing him with Michael Beasley w/o the jumper.

Is that accurate?

Not even close.

nolang1 wrote:
KF10 wrote:I heard people are comparing him with Michael Beasley w/o the jumper.

Is that accurate?

Sure, if he picks up a crippling weed habit, shrinks 3-4 inches, and stops practicing maybe he'll end up like Michael Beasley without the jumper.

Yeah, I thought it was a bizarre comparison myself.

Maybe they meant Beasley back in college? Hmm still, it isn’t a perfect comparison.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#482 » by TheSuzerain » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:05 pm

nolang1 wrote:

Is that accurate?

Sure, if he picks up a crippling weed habit, shrinks 3-4 inches, and stops practicing maybe he'll end up like Michael Beasley without the jumper.

He's pretty much the same size as Beasley. Beasley actually has a slightly taller standing reach from what I googled.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,592

Post#483 » by sixerswillrule » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:41 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

Is that accurate?

He's pretty much the same size as Beasley. Beasley actually has a slightly taller standing reach from what I googled.

Beasley is 1 inch taller than Andre Iguodala.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#484 » by TheSuzerain » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:45 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

Michael Beasley measured at 6-7 without shoes, and 6-8 ¼ with. His wingspan in 7-0 ¼ and his standing reach is 8-11. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Entire-NBA-Pre-Draft-Camp-Measurements,-Combine-Results-Released-2911/ ©DraftExpress

That's not that far off from what we've seen Bagley measured at.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#485 » by nolang1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:47 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

Is that accurate?

No, I distinctly remember Beasley being in the running for the #1 pick until he measured 6'7 barefoot when he was billed as being 6'9-6'10. Also in what should be stickied at the top of the thread or something, Marvin Bagley's listed wingspan and standing reach are from 2014 when he was 15 years old.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#486 » by TheSuzerain » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:52 pm

nolang1 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

No, I distinctly remember Beasley being in the running for the #1 pick until he measured 6'7 barefoot when he was billed as being 6'9-6'10. Also in what should be stickied at the top of the thread or something, Marvin Bagley's listed wingspan and standing reach are from 2014 when he was 15 years old.

See post directly above yours. Beasley has a 7 foot wingspan and 8'11" standing reach.

Bagley has consistently been measured with a 7 foot wingspan. It doesn't seem to me like he has a great standing reach either. Maybe 9'?
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#487 » by sixerswillrule » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:38 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:He's pretty much the same size as Beasley. Beasley actually has a slightly taller standing reach from what I googled.

Michael Beasley measured at 6-7 without shoes, and 6-8 ¼ with. His wingspan in 7-0 ¼ and his standing reach is 8-11. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Entire-NBA-Pre-Draft-Camp-Measurements,-Combine-Results-Released-2911/ ©DraftExpress

Yes, that above information is what I based my first comment on.

How is he pretty much the same size as someone he is 2.5 - 3 inches shorter than?
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,356

Post#488 » by CptCrunch » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Bagley isn't in the NBA, but the hate is already incredible.

6'7" now. Woahz
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#489 » by TheSuzerain » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:50 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:

How is he pretty much the same size as someone he is 2.5 - 3 inches shorter than?

Because when I say size, I don't mean the height of a player's head.

The wingspan is the same. And the only standing reach measurement for Bagley was the 8'9" figure a couple years back. I can certainly see that having gone up, but not significantly more than the 8'11" Beasley was already measured at.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#490 » by Justwar » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:09 pm

Beasley vs Bagley is irrelevant. If Beasley had his mind right he would of been a superstar. Just wrong people around him and a selfish attitude
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#491 » by sixerswillrule » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:17 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:

The wingspan is the same. And the only standing reach measurement for Bagley was the 8'9" figure a couple years back. I can certainly see that having gone up, but not significantly more than the 8'11" Beasley was already measured at.

If you want to focus on length, say length. Size includes height. Bagley clearly has a bigger frame than Beasley and it's not meaningless.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#492 » by TheSuzerain » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:23 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:

If you want to focus on length, say length. Size includes height. Bagley clearly has a bigger frame than Beasley and it's not meaningless.

Wingspan and standing reach are what matters from a functional basketball perspective.

And I don't see why you guys are getting so touchy. Beasley's freshman year was probably better than Bagley's from an NBA prospect perspective.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#493 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:48 pm

I think there are some major differences between Bagley and Beasley. I do think the 2-3 inch height difference is significant. I think Bagley has a much higher chance of playing the 5 compared to Beasley which means even more versatility with Bagley. While Beasley does have the advantage in raw stats I don't think that tells the whole story. Beasley grabbed 15.5 rebounds per 40 compared to Bagley's 14.5 per 40. The big thing missing there is Bagley plays alongside Carter who himself grabs 14.5 rebounds per 40, so I think if Bagley was the only true big that got minutes like was Beasley's situation, the rebounding would easily favor Bagley.

Another big difference is USG%, Beasley put up his numbers on a 35 USG% compared to Bagley's 27%, even that doesn't tell the whole story. Beasley was much more ball dominant than Bagley is, the ball rarely sticks in Bagley's hands. While yes Beasley played with a high motor, many times it was an uncontrollable motor mixed with low IQ, he also wasn't ever known as the hardest worker off the court and always had big time off court question marks. Bagley plays with even a higher motor, he's smarter on the court and his work ethic is known to be elite and has no off court question marks. Plus Bagley has that elite quickness with his 2nd and 3rd jump which Beasley didn't have. I think Beasley could've been a tremendous NBA player if he had his head screwed on right. Bagley has his head screwed on right and in my opinion is even the better prospect as well.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,079

Post#494 » by The-Power » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:55 am

Beasley with a brain and the desire to improve could have actually been a really good NBA player. And by all accounts, Bagley does have a brain and the desire to be great and be coached.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#495 » by King Ken » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:34 am

Duke4life831 wrote:I think there are some major differences between Bagley and Beasley. I do think the 2-3 inch height difference is significant. I think Bagley has a much higher chance of playing the 5 compared to Beasley which means even more versatility with Bagley. While Beasley does have the advantage in raw stats I don't think that tells the whole story. Beasley grabbed 15.5 rebounds per 40 compared to Bagley's 14.5 per 40. The big thing missing there is Bagley plays alongside Carter who himself grabs 14.5 rebounds per 40, so I think if Bagley was the only true big that got minutes like was Beasley's situation, the rebounding would easily favor Bagley.

Another big difference is USG%, Beasley put up his numbers on a 35 USG% compared to Bagley's 27%, even that doesn't tell the whole story. Beasley was much more ball dominant than Bagley is, the ball rarely sticks in Bagley's hands. While yes Beasley played with a high motor, many times it was an uncontrollable motor mixed with low IQ, he also wasn't ever known as the hardest worker off the court and always had big time off court question marks. Bagley plays with even a higher motor, he's smarter on the court and his work ethic is known to be elite and has no off court question marks. Plus Bagley has that elite quickness with his 2nd and 3rd jump which Beasley didn't have. I think Beasley could've been a tremendous NBA player if he had his head screwed on right. Bagley has his head screwed on right and in my opinion is even the better prospect as well.

It's disrespectful to make this comparison. The biggest issue with Beasley is BBIQ more than anything else. He had to play his game to be effective. He never played within a system at KSU or college. If anything, Beasley comparison is best for Trae Young.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#496 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:19 am

Dont look now Duke was 1-3 with Bagley in the lineup and now theyre 3-0 in their last 3 games without Bagley.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,484

Post#497 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:38 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Dont look now Duke was 1-3 with Bagley in the lineup and now theyre 3-0 in their last 3 games without Bagley.

You watch the games. What are you seeing out there?
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#498 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:47 am

Are Duke better defensively in the last 3 games?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#499 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:49 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Dont look now Duke was 1-3 with Bagley in the lineup and now theyre 3-0 in their last 3 games without Bagley.

You watch the games. What are you seeing out there?

Honestly that was just a sad attempt to bump this thread since I thought it was weird Bagley's thread was about to drop to the 3rd page.

Honestly its just better coaching adjustments and playing against worse competition. K finally has switched fully to the zone, anyone who has watched Duke this year knew it was obvious they needed to be a zone team. Also playing against Georgia Tech, VT and a struggling Clemson compared to UVA and UNC helps.

One thing that is clear is Grayson Allen has played much better. He was being very passive this season and letting Bagley be the man. I think youre going to see Bagley's numbers decrease when he comes back (if he comes back) and I think K is going to put the ball in Grayson's hands. I expect to see a more balanced Duke offense and Bagley's numbers to be more along the 18/11 instead of the 21/11 but better efficiency.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#500 » by Justwar » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:46 am

I just think coach k tried to out calipari himself this year instead of doing what won him championships. I think his style of play is compromised by this. I am starting to wonder if he'll have the same problem next year although he should have better shooters

Return to NBA Draft