Stanley Johnson

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Stanley Johnson 

Post#1 » by No-Man » Sun Oct 5, 2014 8:02 am

According to USAB measurements he got to grow to a full 6'8 in shoes, with a wingspan around 7 feet (6'11.5) and he carries 243, he just turned 18 and will be one of the youngest guys in next year draft.

Those numbers are LeBronians, he is not the same athlete, although he is a good one, but with his skill set, and him playing likely SG at Arizona, improving his already advanced guard skills, he played everything from 1-4 at Mater Dei, and his outside shot, mixing that with his aggressive game and winning attitude, defensive minded game and work ethic… can he be in the conversation for 1st overall?

He might grow another inch and get even stronger, a 6'9 250 point-forward with that type of skills…
He can be a saner/better scorer Ron Artest.
crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Re: Stanley Johnson 

Post#2 » by crazy_me_87 » Sun Oct 5, 2014 10:52 am

Ron Artest without the psychosis tendencies was the comparison i thought of too

Johnson is an intruiging two way Prospect, he lacks some offensive superstar Potential but has great two way potential.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#3 » by ManualRam » Sun Oct 5, 2014 12:43 pm

i dont like his shot, his shot release in particular. i also think he lacks a bit of quickness and dexterity (no left) off the bounce but he has always had that artest-like potential. that comparison makes sense. wouldn't take him 1st overall. top 4-5, first wing off the board? sure, he's in the mix. still trying to figure out if that 243 is a good number for him. he seems to be getting bigger around the trunk and it's not helping his quickness. it's good that he won't have to put on weight, but he could look to trim some excess off to get fitter, hopefully improving his quickness. i think there are wings with higher potential offensively, but given his intangibles i think he could have the greater likelihood of coming close to his.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#4 » by No-Man » Sun Oct 5, 2014 2:16 pm

I think Sean Miller can make him improve his quickness and footwork overall, his shot is flat but that stuff can be corrected, he make shots even with his current form, the same with working on his body, that will get better with pro training.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,184

Post#5 » by brackdan70 » Sun Oct 5, 2014 7:39 pm

I am excited to see him play some games.... seems like he could be pretty special for sure.
I don't see him being picked number one...unless he really lights it up
Sign here
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#6 » by ManualRam » Sun Oct 5, 2014 7:47 pm

Fischella wrote:I think Sean Miller can make him improve his quickness and footwork overall, his shot is flat but that stuff can be corrected, he make shots even with his current form, the same with working on his body, that will get better with pro training.

his shot is not only flat but the release is in front of his face, which makes it much easier to contest. he's gonna have to raise his release to improve his ability to create his own shot.

as for his body, he looks like he has the type to put on bad weight easily around his core if he doesn't stay on top of it.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#7 » by LloydFree » Sun Oct 5, 2014 7:53 pm

I like him. He is a better basketball player than Kelly Oubre. Because he is so big and strong in comparison to other HS players, it's a little difficult for me to determine whether his athleticism projects to the NBA as a star or just a good player.
His shot needs to be fixed. He shoots on the way down, like Lebron James used to, as a HS player. That can be fixed.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#8 » by miltk » Mon Oct 6, 2014 9:03 pm

mater dei
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#9 » by ManualRam » Mon Oct 6, 2014 10:49 pm

miltk wrote:mater dei

unless you believe in curses i wouldnt put him in with the rest of the mater dei flops. he's cut from a different cloth. he's got a lot of dog in him.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#10 » by miltk » Tue Oct 7, 2014 3:54 am

ManualRam wrote:
miltk wrote:mater dei

unless you believe in curses i wouldnt put him in with the rest of the mater dei flops. he's cut from a different cloth. he's got a lot of dog in him.

the evidence is in and it's overwhelming. md players is not a curse but a fact of life :D

if one were to gamble on an md player he would be insane not to have a back door escape plan in mind.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#11 » by EricAnderson » Tue Oct 7, 2014 3:26 pm

ManualRam wrote:i dont like his shot, his shot release in particular. i also think he lacks a bit of quickness and dexterity (no left) off the bounce but he has always had that artest-like potential. that comparison makes sense. wouldn't take him 1st overall. top 4-5, first wing off the board? sure, he's in the mix. still trying to figure out if that 243 is a good number for him. he seems to be getting bigger around the trunk and it's not helping his quickness. it's good that he won't have to put on weight, but he could look to trim some excess off to get fitter, hopefully improving his quickness. i think there are wings with higher potential offensively, but given his intangibles i think he could have the greater likelihood of coming close to his.

If you needed a wing in the draft would you take him or Oubre?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#12 » by Marcus » Tue Oct 7, 2014 5:07 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
ManualRam wrote:i dont like his shot, his shot release in particular. i also think he lacks a bit of quickness and dexterity (no left) off the bounce but he has always had that artest-like potential. that comparison makes sense. wouldn't take him 1st overall. top 4-5, first wing off the board? sure, he's in the mix. still trying to figure out if that 243 is a good number for him. he seems to be getting bigger around the trunk and it's not helping his quickness. it's good that he won't have to put on weight, but he could look to trim some excess off to get fitter, hopefully improving his quickness. i think there are wings with higher potential offensively, but given his intangibles i think he could have the greater likelihood of coming close to his.

personally i'd take Stan (im not that big on Oubre though) we'll see how they both look by the time draft day comes but as of right now? I'd go Stanley.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#13 » by ManualRam » Tue Oct 7, 2014 8:35 pm

EricAnderson wrote:

depends on the team imo. if the team has a little longer to wait, i'd probably take oubre. i just think his potential is higher. he's got the prototype size, length, athleticism for an NBA wing. he's more sinewy than johnson, but he does have some strength to his game already as well. i like his shot better as well and i think he has more shot-creating potential down the road. i think he can do a lot of things vertically with his extra length that johnson cannot. johnson appears to be the safer pick for the near term. he has better intangibles. has the more nba-ready body, defends better, has a more consistent motor. is a little better off the bounce, even if he isn't as rangy or bouncy as oubre. both need to clean up their shot selection, but i think oubre is currently a little more prone to taking bad shots. i think a team closer to winning would take johnson, whereas a team that's looking to hit a home run (with a greater chance of striking out) would go for oubre.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#14 » by TucsonClip » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:45 pm

Dont sleep on his passing and vision. The Artest comparison is a pretty good one, considering he has good defensive upside. Dont see him as a lock down defender, but his offensive tools are off the charts.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#15 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:59 pm

TucsonClip wrote:Dont sleep on his passing and vision. The Artest comparison is a pretty good one, considering he has good defensive upside. Dont see him as a lock down defender, but his offensive tools are off the charts.

I see a bigger James harden with obviously better defense. I see him huge upside as a 2 guard with his size ,handle and passing ability .
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#16 » by reanimator » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:22 pm

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Dont sleep on his passing and vision. The Artest comparison is a pretty good one, considering he has good defensive upside. Dont see him as a lock down defender, but his offensive tools are off the charts.

I see a bigger James harden with obviously better defense. I see him huge upside as a 2 guard with his size ,handle and passing ability .

I can't see it.

Harden's handle and shooting are beyond Stan's reach. He is also more efficient than I expect Stan to be. Stan also plays defense.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Marcus » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:27 pm

reanimator wrote:
LeonJordanJr24 wrote:

I can't see it.

Harden's handle and shooting are beyond Stan's reach. He is also more efficient than I expect Stan to be. Stan also plays defense.

Beard is also shiftier and has better body control while Stan is str8 line drives and strength at the cup.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#18 » by reanimator » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:33 pm

Marcus wrote:
reanimator wrote:
LeonJordanJr24 wrote:

I can't see it.

Beard is also shiftier and has better body control while Stan is str8 line drives and strength at the cup.

Yeah, watching him string together crossovers and hesitations is 1 of the most visually pleasing in the NBA
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#19 » by EMG518 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:11 pm

Thats honestly who Jaylen Brown reminds me of. Harden but taller/bigger. Plays more defense and offense isnt where Harden is but I can see him projecting to be very similiar there.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by Marcus » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:16 pm

EMG518 wrote:Thats honestly who Jaylen Brown reminds me of. Harden but taller/bigger. Plays more defense and offense isnt where Harden is but I can see him projecting to be very similiar there.

jaylen also needs to work on his handle, does a decent job of protecting it in traffic with his size and strenght, still needs better control of it when switching speeds though. think that's the next step in Jaylen's game learning how to utilize pace a little better. can't wait to see him at whatever school he decides to attend next year so he official supplant Ben Simmons on the draft boards.
Watch More Basketball

Return to NBA Draft