Justise Winslow

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Re: Justise Winslow 

Post#41 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:02 am

Justise Winslow was a monster today aside from Okafor - 13 pts 12 rebs 5 ast 4 stls 3 blks

His energy level is off the charts - he'll be an impact player because of his defence and energy alone.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#42 » by doordoor123 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:04 am

I really like Winslow. I wouldn't say he's Kawhi, but definitely has similar attributes. Kawhi will always be a better finisher and team-player, but I think Winslow will eventually be an attacker. He reminds me of a taller Victor Oladipo. I also think Kawhi has a better IQ.
sweetcity
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,289

Post#43 » by sweetcity » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:59 pm

doordoor123 wrote:I really like Winslow. I wouldn't say he's Kawhi, but definitely has similar attributes. Kawhi will always be a better finisher and team-player, but I think Winslow will eventually be an attacker. He reminds me of a taller Victor Oladipo. I also think Kawhi has a better IQ.

Kawhi wingspan = 7'3
Winslow wingspan = 6'10

They really arent that close. Winslow looks more like KJ McDaniels then Kawhi Leonard
djphan
Senior
And1: 215

Post#44 » by djphan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:23 pm

winslow has been playing really well.... he deserves top 5 consideration at this rate...
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#45 » by Marcus » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:44 pm

sweetcity wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:I really like Winslow. I wouldn't say he's Kawhi, but definitely has similar attributes. Kawhi will always be a better finisher and team-player, but I think Winslow will eventually be an attacker. He reminds me of a taller Victor Oladipo. I also think Kawhi has a better IQ.

Kawhi wingspan = 7'3
Winslow wingspan = 6'10

They really arent that close. Winslow looks more like KJ McDaniels then Kawhi Leonard

you talking just in terms of size and length or you talking in terms of game?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#46 » by TheOGJabroni » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:01 pm

I'm not saying he'll be James Harden but his ability to grab a rebound and bring the ball up the court with speed and draw fouls in the paint is very Harden-esque. He's a good playmaker as well. Not near the shooter though.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#47 » by E-Balla » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:28 pm

Winslow reminds me of Iggy a bit but he's a complete bonehead. Whoever gets him will get so annoyed at his stupidity ala JR Smith.
gags1288
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#48 » by gags1288 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:33 pm

[quote="E-Balla"]Winslow reminds me of Iggy a bit but he's a complete bonehead. Whoever gets him will get so annoyed at his stupidity ala JR Smith.[/quote]

WTF are you talking about? Winslow is a very smart and cerebral player who makes very few mistakes on the court and takes very few bad shots. He is nothing like JR Smith in his approach to the game. If anything, it would behoove both he and Duke for him to be a more selfish player.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#49 » by E-Balla » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:43 pm

gags1288 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Winslow reminds me of Iggy a bit but he's a complete bonehead. Whoever gets him will get so annoyed at his stupidity ala JR Smith.

WTF are you talking about? Winslow is a very smart and cerebral player who makes very few mistakes on the court and takes very few bad shots. He is nothing like JR Smith in his approach to the game. If anything, it would behoove both he and Duke for him to be a more selfish player.

2 things:
1. You must not watch much Duke if you think Justise doesn't make dumb plays. Each game I find myself thinking "WTF is he doing?"

2. Never said he plays like JR. I actually said he plays like Iggy. He makes dumb mistakes like JR does. Example: when JR hit Terry up 2-0 against Boston and was suspended in the next game - a loss. I can see Winslow making that type of dumb play.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM

Post#50 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:02 pm

E-Balla wrote:
gags1288 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Winslow reminds me of Iggy a bit but he's a complete bonehead. Whoever gets him will get so annoyed at his stupidity ala JR Smith.

2 things:
1. You must not watch much Duke if you think Justise doesn't make dumb plays. Each game I find myself thinking "WTF is he doing?"

2. Never said he plays like JR. I actually said he plays like Iggy. He makes dumb mistakes like JR does. Example: when JR hit Terry up 2-0 against Boston and was suspended in the next game - a loss. I can see Winslow making that type of dumb play.

Really? He doesn't seem to come off as that type of player. I thought he was more heady and cerebral.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#51 » by E-Balla » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:13 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
gags1288 wrote:

2 things:

Really? He doesn't seem to come off as that type of player. I thought he was more heady and cerebral.

His basketball IQ is off the charts. Defensively he's a hound and Coach K said only Grant Hill was better out the gates. He might be the best Duke defender since Shane Battier. He just makes some of the dumbest mistakes sometimes. He'll do something out of nowhere like kick the ball hard as hell or grab Justin Anderson's leg 6 inches away from the nearest ref down 5 with 5 minutes left against the #2 team in the country at the time.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#52 » by Marcus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:14 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
gags1288 wrote:

2 things:

i wouldn't say its to the extreme E-Balla is putting it but Jus does have occassions on the court that make you wonder what he may have been thinking.

He's got coast to coast ability but there are times where he just grabs a board and goes, head down, no real chance and making anything positive happen, dribbles into a crowd and turns the rock over, or just goes to fast and doesn't have help. He gets away with it more often than not at Duke. He'll need to pick his spots better in the league though.

Sometimes overly aggressive on the defensive end too in terms of making the highlight block instead of the "solid defensive play" when he has fouls and should curve back some of his aggressiveness.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#53 » by Marcus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:15 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:
E-Balla wrote:2 things:

His basketball IQ is off the charts. Defensively he's a hound and Coach K said only Grant Hill was better out the gates. He might be the best Duke defender since Shane Battier. He just makes some of the dumbest mistakes sometimes. He'll do something out of nowhere like kick the ball hard as hell or grab Justin Anderson's leg 6 inches away from the nearest ref down 5 with 5 minutes left against the #2 team in the country at the time.

oh thoseeeeeeeeeee. yeah. forgot about those. lol.
Watch More Basketball

Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM

Post#54 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:17 pm

Marcus wrote:
Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:
E-Balla wrote:2 things:

i wouldn't say its to the extreme E-Balla is putting it but Jus does have occassions on the court that make you wonder what he may have been thinking.

He's got coast to coast ability but there are times where he just grabs a board and goes, head down, no real chance and making anything positive happen, dribbles into a crowd and turns the rock over, or just goes to fast and doesn't have help. He gets away with it more often than not at Duke. He'll need to pick his spots better in the league though.

Sometimes overly aggressive on the defensive end too in terms of making the highlight block instead of the "solid defensive play" when he has fouls and should curve back some of his aggressiveness.

Curious - how does Winslow compare to someone like Rondae-Hollis Jefferson at the NBA level? I know Rondae is more of a SF, with virtually no jumpshot right now compared to Winslow, but both are seen as high energy, defense first type of players.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#55 » by E-Balla » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:21 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:

Curious - how does Winslow compare to someone like Rondae-Hollis Jefferson at the NBA level? I know Rondae is more of a SF, with virtually no jumpshot right now compared to Winslow, but both are seen as high energy, defense first type of players.

He's better at everything to me maybe outside of driving to the rim in halfcourt situations but his seemingly random bouts of stupidity scare me off of him. I'd still take him well over RHJ who probably will go at the end of the first. Winslow is a good pick at 10 to me and if a coach can get him to stop playing stupid he's the best wing coming out this year.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#56 » by Marcus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:25 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:

personally i like Jus a lot more because i feel like he brings more to the table overall. RHJ is the better defender though. If Jus is Iggy then Rondae is a longer Tony Allen IMO.

Neither will be stars, they can however be important pieces with the right talent around them.
Watch More Basketball

Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM

Post#57 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:33 pm

Marcus wrote:
Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:
Marcus wrote:

personally i like Jus a lot more because i feel like he brings more to the table overall. RHJ is the better defender though. If Jus is Iggy then Rondae is a longer Tony Allen IMO.

Neither will be stars, they can however be important pieces with the right talent around them.

As a Raptors fan who is also a big Winslow fan, I'm being realistic knowing that we're not likely to get Winslow, since the Raptors will be picking at the 19-20 range. So, I've been watching Rondae play, and I think at that 19-20 range, he'd be a good substitute for Winslow.

But, I agree - Winslow is a more all-around player at this stage compared to Rondae. Hopefully, Rondae can develop some sort of jumpshot along the way like Winslow. Rondae does have the ability to make plays, and is a good passer, so he has that going for him offensively at least.
gags1288
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#58 » by gags1288 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:40 pm

[quote="E-Balla"][quote="gags1288"][quote="E-Balla"]Winslow reminds me of Iggy a bit but he's a complete bonehead. Whoever gets him will get so annoyed at his stupidity ala JR Smith.[/quote]

WTF are you talking about? Winslow is a very smart and cerebral player who makes very few mistakes on the court and takes very few bad shots. He is nothing like JR Smith in his approach to the game. If anything, it would behoove both he and Duke for him to be a more selfish player.[/quote]
2 things:

2. Never said he plays like JR. I actually said he plays like Iggy. He makes dumb mistakes like JR does. Example: when JR hit Terry up 2-0 against Boston and was suspended in the next game - a loss. I can see Winslow making that type of dumb play.[/quote]

I've watched every game that he's played at Duke. He rarely makes bad decision, he rarely takes bad shots, and Duke plays their best when he's aggressive and hunts his shot a little bit.

It's funny that you compare him to Igoudala (and yet argue he is not a smart player), who is also a very good decision maker and smart player. They certainly have some similarities in their play making ability, advanced physiques, and high level defensive potential. That said, Justise is miles ahead of where Igoudala was offensively as a freshman and probably ahead of a sophomore Igoudala as well.

I'm guessing your comparison to JR Smith stems from the two flagrants that he received this season, which were both for effectively tripping players after he had fallen to the floor. I view those plays as dumb and as the emotion getting the best of him, but I don't view them as a systemic issue, I don't think he's a loose cannon, and I don't thing he belongs anywhere near the likes of JR Smith or Marcus Smart in that respect.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#59 » by treefi » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:28 am

Winslow stealing the show again.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM

Post#60 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:16 am

treefi wrote:Winslow stealing the show again.

Yep. He's an impressive prospect. His 3pt shot looks pretty good. But, got caught celebrating on the 2nd end of back-to-back 3s, giving up a layup at the other end. That can be coached out of him, though.

Return to NBA Draft