Kevon Looney

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

User avatar
campybatman
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,100
And1: 185
Joined: Apr 19, 2007

Kevon Looney 

Post#1 » by campybatman » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:12 am

How high could he go in the 2015 draft? What's his best position in the NBA, power forward or small forward?

He's about 6'9'' and has a 7'3'' wingspan. He can really rebound...
Amish Mafioso
Banned User
Posts: 1,736
And1: 1,004
Joined: Apr 02, 2011

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#2 » by Amish Mafioso » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:24 am

Interesting player, but I'm a little concerned with his mental stability.
User avatar
vdalfmd
Sophomore
Posts: 180
And1: 73
Joined: Apr 07, 2014
Location: Rome, Italy
   

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#3 » by vdalfmd » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:41 pm

Everyone assumes that he's going to translate in a pure NBA SF, but I don't buy it.
I like to think him to become a face-up PF who beats slower defenders with that handle and fights inside for rebounds.
OakleyCap
Ballboy
Posts: 5
And1: 0
Joined: Jan 12, 2015
   

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#4 » by OakleyCap » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:38 pm

He's a stretch four at the next level, imo. I wish that he blocked shots at a higher rate but he'll make his living in the league with his ability to hit the glass and stretch the floor.
OakleyCap
Ballboy
Posts: 5
And1: 0
Joined: Jan 12, 2015
   

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#5 » by OakleyCap » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:38 pm

He's a stretch four at the next level, imo. I wish that he blocked shots at a higher rate but he'll make his living in the league with his ability to hit the glass and stretch the floor.
Catchall
General Manager
Posts: 8,246
And1: 3,064
Joined: Jul 06, 2008

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#6 » by Catchall » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:58 am

If he's really a PF then I think I like Lyles better. I don't think Looney will get those boards at the NBA level.
northpass523
Ballboy
Posts: 11
And1: 5
Joined: Jan 16, 2015
Contact:
     

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#7 » by northpass523 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:32 pm

Looney is a nice player, but he's a few years away from contributing at the NBA level. He should stay in school where he will really flourish, but he'll probably be told to enter the draft.

Dude can rebound and play a little around the hoop. I just hope he has a chance to develop more before he's thrown into the fire.
Catchall
General Manager
Posts: 8,246
And1: 3,064
Joined: Jul 06, 2008

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#8 » by Catchall » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:02 pm

Ed Davis with a jumpshot ?
User avatar
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 37,169
And1: 8,716
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Pitcher's Mound
     

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#9 » by TyCobb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:54 am

I got him Top 5 because of his upside (personally got him behind Okafor and Towns). The guy can do it all... rebound, defend, run the court, has length, can shoot. He's need to work on creating his own shot, but he's still scratching the surface.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
reanimator
Starter
Posts: 2,197
And1: 728
Joined: Jan 31, 2014
     

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#10 » by reanimator » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:05 am

TyCobb wrote:I got him Top 5 because of his upside (personally got him behind Okafor and Towns). The guy can do it all... rebound, defend, run the court, has length, can shoot. He's need to work on creating his own shot, but he's still scratching the surface.


can shoot?
User avatar
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 37,169
And1: 8,716
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Pitcher's Mound
     

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#11 » by TyCobb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:09 am

reanimator wrote:
TyCobb wrote:I got him Top 5 because of his upside (personally got him behind Okafor and Towns). The guy can do it all... rebound, defend, run the court, has length, can shoot. He's need to work on creating his own shot, but he's still scratching the surface.


can shoot?


Yeah, he's got a nice stroke but UCLA doesn't run the offense through him because of the PG. He really only gets it when he cleans up the mess on the offensive glass. I think with more reps will become an above average shooter.

I think he's a better shooter than Turner, but the stats would suggest otherwise. A little misleading, imo.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
EMG518
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,926
And1: 450
Joined: Mar 11, 2012

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#12 » by EMG518 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:12 am

TyCobb wrote:
reanimator wrote:
TyCobb wrote:I got him Top 5 because of his upside (personally got him behind Okafor and Towns). The guy can do it all... rebound, defend, run the court, has length, can shoot. He's need to work on creating his own shot, but he's still scratching the surface.


can shoot?


Yeah, he's got a nice stroke but UCLA doesn't run the offense through him because of the PG. He really only gets it when he cleans up the mess on the offensive glass. I think with more reps will become an above average shooter.

I think he's a better shooter than Turner, but the stats would suggest otherwise. A little misleading, imo.


How could you possibly think someone who shoots 30% from 3 and 64% from the line is a better shooter than someone who shoots 43% from 3 and 88% from the line? The stats are misleading, have you watched either of them? Looney cant shoot and Turner's shot is an actual weapon. Can Looney improve his shot?, sure. But he will never have the shot that Turner has.
User avatar
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 37,169
And1: 8,716
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Pitcher's Mound
     

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#13 » by TyCobb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:15 am

EMG518 wrote:How could you possibly think someone who shoots 30% from 3 and 64% from the line is a better shooter than someone who shoots 43% from 3 and 88% from the line? The stats are misleading, have you watched either of them? Looney cant shoot and Turner's shot is an actual weapon. Can Looney improve his shot?, sure. But he will never have the shot that Turner has.


I wouldn't comment on something I've never viewed before. There's a reason why I said the stats are misleading. I've seen them both play, quite a bit.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
EMG518
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,926
And1: 450
Joined: Mar 11, 2012

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#14 » by EMG518 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:17 am

TyCobb wrote:
EMG518 wrote:How could you possibly think someone who shoots 30% from 3 and 64% from the line is a better shooter than someone who shoots 43% from 3 and 88% from the line? The stats are misleading, have you watched either of them? Looney cant shoot and Turner's shot is an actual weapon. Can Looney improve his shot?, sure. But he will never have the shot that Turner has.


I wouldn't comment on something I've never viewed before. There's a reason why I said the stats are misleading. I've seen them both play, quite a bit.


Then you couldnt possibly think Looney is a better shooter than Turner.
User avatar
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 37,169
And1: 8,716
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Pitcher's Mound
     

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#15 » by TyCobb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:19 am

EMG518 wrote:
TyCobb wrote:
EMG518 wrote:How could you possibly think someone who shoots 30% from 3 and 64% from the line is a better shooter than someone who shoots 43% from 3 and 88% from the line? The stats are misleading, have you watched either of them? Looney cant shoot and Turner's shot is an actual weapon. Can Looney improve his shot?, sure. But he will never have the shot that Turner has.


I wouldn't comment on something I've never viewed before. There's a reason why I said the stats are misleading. I've seen them both play, quite a bit.


Then you couldnt possibly think Looney is a better shooter than Turner.


Curious, I'm assuming you've seen them both play as well? Or are you just going by stats? Like I said, Looney is scratching the surface of his offensive impact (and overall game for that matter). The foundation for his jumper is there, he's pretty smooth actually. It's a matter of shot selection for him right now.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
EMG518
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,926
And1: 450
Joined: Mar 11, 2012

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#16 » by EMG518 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:24 am

TyCobb wrote:
EMG518 wrote:
TyCobb wrote:
I wouldn't comment on something I've never viewed before. There's a reason why I said the stats are misleading. I've seen them both play, quite a bit.


Then you couldnt possibly think Looney is a better shooter than Turner.


Curious, I'm assuming you've seen them both play as well? Or are you just going by stats? Like I said, Looney is scratching the surface of his offensive impact (and overall game for that matter). The foundation for his jumper is there, he's pretty smooth actually. It's a matter of shot selection for him right now.


Well if I were going by stats there wouldnt be a way to refute Turner being the superior shooter. If I were going by tape there wouldnt be a way to refute Turner is the superior shooter. Do you hear yourself, The foundation for a jumper is there but you claim he is better than a guy who is shooting 43% from 3 and 88% from the line. I cant fathom anyone watching this pair and thinking for a second Looney has the better shot. I have seen him brick too many shots compared to Turner who doesnt just have a shot but could be used as a shooter. He gets compared to Lamarcus Aldridge for a reason.
User avatar
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 37,169
And1: 8,716
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Pitcher's Mound
     

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#17 » by TyCobb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:33 am

EMG518 wrote:Well if I were going by stats there wouldnt be a way to refute Turner being the superior shooter. If I were going by tape there wouldnt be a way to refute Turner is the superior shooter. Do you hear yourself, The foundation for a jumper is there but you claim he is better than a guy who is shooting 43% from 3 and 88% from the line. I cant fathom anyone watching this pair and thinking for a second Looney has the better shot. I have seen him brick too many shots compared to Turner who doesnt just have a shot but could be used as a shooter. He gets compared to Lamarcus Aldridge for a reason.


I understand this is a controversial opinion because of the stats, but the guy is banging in traffic relentlessly so he's gonna have his percentages take a dip because his body hasn't filled out yet. I like Turner and think he'll be a top 15 pick, but I do worry about his motor.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
EMG518
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,926
And1: 450
Joined: Mar 11, 2012

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#18 » by EMG518 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:44 am

TyCobb wrote:
EMG518 wrote:Well if I were going by stats there wouldnt be a way to refute Turner being the superior shooter. If I were going by tape there wouldnt be a way to refute Turner is the superior shooter. Do you hear yourself, The foundation for a jumper is there but you claim he is better than a guy who is shooting 43% from 3 and 88% from the line. I cant fathom anyone watching this pair and thinking for a second Looney has the better shot. I have seen him brick too many shots compared to Turner who doesnt just have a shot but could be used as a shooter. He gets compared to Lamarcus Aldridge for a reason.


I understand this is a controversial opinion because of the stats, but the guy is banging in traffic relentlessly so he's gonna have his percentages take a dip because his body hasn't filled out yet. I like Turner and think he'll be a top 15 pick, but I do worry about his motor.


He is banging in traffic so his percentages are down from the 3pt line and at the foul line where he takes 6 wide open uncontested shots a game? Nothing you have said makes sense thus far. To be fair though I shouldnt have expected anything to make sense because it is an outlandish claim to make based off of nothing. It is just wrong.
User avatar
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 37,169
And1: 8,716
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Pitcher's Mound
     

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#19 » by TyCobb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:54 am

EMG518 wrote:
TyCobb wrote:
EMG518 wrote:Well if I were going by stats there wouldnt be a way to refute Turner being the superior shooter. If I were going by tape there wouldnt be a way to refute Turner is the superior shooter. Do you hear yourself, The foundation for a jumper is there but you claim he is better than a guy who is shooting 43% from 3 and 88% from the line. I cant fathom anyone watching this pair and thinking for a second Looney has the better shot. I have seen him brick too many shots compared to Turner who doesnt just have a shot but could be used as a shooter. He gets compared to Lamarcus Aldridge for a reason.


I understand this is a controversial opinion because of the stats, but the guy is banging in traffic relentlessly so he's gonna have his percentages take a dip because his body hasn't filled out yet. I like Turner and think he'll be a top 15 pick, but I do worry about his motor.


He is banging in traffic so his percentages are down from the 3pt line and at the foul line where he takes 6 wide open uncontested shots a game? Nothing you have said makes sense thus far. To be fair though I shouldnt have expected anything to make sense because it is an outlandish claim to make based off of nothing. It is just wrong.


He is banging in traffic and plays 32 minutes per game as a true freshman, yeah fatigue is gonna be an issue while he lacks strength and conditioning.

Turner is on a superior basketball team right now than Looney so all his opportunities come much easier than Looney's, who has to work to get his touches.

It's all good if you don't believe me. My opinion may be ridiculous to someone who relies so heavily on stats through mid-January of a prospects freshman season.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
EMG518
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,926
And1: 450
Joined: Mar 11, 2012

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#20 » by EMG518 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:44 am

TyCobb wrote:
EMG518 wrote:
TyCobb wrote:
I understand this is a controversial opinion because of the stats, but the guy is banging in traffic relentlessly so he's gonna have his percentages take a dip because his body hasn't filled out yet. I like Turner and think he'll be a top 15 pick, but I do worry about his motor.


He is banging in traffic so his percentages are down from the 3pt line and at the foul line where he takes 6 wide open uncontested shots a game? Nothing you have said makes sense thus far. To be fair though I shouldnt have expected anything to make sense because it is an outlandish claim to make based off of nothing. It is just wrong.


He is banging in traffic and plays 32 minutes per game as a true freshman, yeah fatigue is gonna be an issue while he lacks strength and conditioning.

Turner is on a superior basketball team right now than Looney so all his opportunities come much easier than Looney's, who has to work to get his touches.

It's all good if you don't believe me. My opinion may be ridiculous to someone who relies so heavily on stats through mid-January of a prospects freshman season.


Yea because Turner playing 22 minutes a game as a freshman, banging bodies while not being physically developed, doubled constantly and fighting to carve out space in the post, playing most often with a big with no offensive game, all of this doesnt hinder his touches and wear on him but Looney, Looney is bricking shots from behind the arc and hitting at a 30% clip and shooting 64% from the line is only because of fatigue. Nothing to do with him not being a good shooter. So ridiuclous.

There is nothing to believe. Tape nor stats back up anything you claim. He isnt a good shooter. Turner is elite for a big already.

Return to NBA Draft