King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Re: Willie Cauley-Stein 

Post#21 » by King Ken » Wed Apr 8, 2015 6:09 pm

LloydFree wrote:
jpengland wrote:Floor - Brandon Wright
Ceiling - Larry Sanders

It just doesn't excite as a top 5 pick, I guess. But he could be vary valuable to pretty much any team IMO.

Brandan Wright was a better player as a Freshman than Caulie-Stein was as a Junior. I don't see how the better prospect could be his "Floor".

Offensive player, yes. Defensively, he was never in the same league with WCS. Just because of size, WCS can play center, something Wright never could.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#22 » by LloydFree » Wed Apr 8, 2015 6:20 pm

King Ken wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
jpengland wrote:Floor - Brandon Wright
Ceiling - Larry Sanders

It just doesn't excite as a top 5 pick, I guess. But he could be vary valuable to pretty much any team IMO.

Brandan Wright was a better player as a Freshman than Caulie-Stein was as a Junior. I don't see how the better prospect could be his "Floor".

Offensive player, yes. Defensively, he was never in the same league with WCS. Just because of size, WCS can play center, something Wright never could.

You're judging Caulie-Stein's Defense as a Junior to Brandan Wright's defense as a Freshman. WCS' defense as a Freshman was no better than Wright's and the offense is no contest. Either way its a faulty comparison and disrespectful to Brandan Wright. WCS will be lucky to reach Brendan Wright level in the NBA.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
King Ken
General Manager

Post#23 » by King Ken » Wed Apr 8, 2015 6:52 pm

LloydFree wrote:
King Ken wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Brandan Wright was a better player as a Freshman than Caulie-Stein was as a Junior. I don't see how the better prospect could be his "Floor".

You're judging Caulie-Stein's Defense as a Junior to Brandan Wright's defense as a Freshman. WCS' defense as a Freshman was no better than Wright's and the offense is no contest. Either way its a faulty comparison and disrespectful to Brandan Wright. WCS will be lucky to reach Brendan Wright level in the NBA.

WCS defense right now is better than Wright's for the NBA. He simply has a much better defensive ability and tools. He is a much better athlete in general. He weighs 240 pound compared to Wright's 220 and only 209 out of college. Wright couldn't bench 185 once out of UNC. This isn't comparable.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#24 » by LloydFree » Wed Apr 8, 2015 7:01 pm

King Ken wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
King Ken wrote:Offensive player, yes. Defensively, he was never in the same league with WCS. Just because of size, WCS can play center, something Wright never could.

WCS defense right now is better than Wright's for the NBA. He simply has a much better defensive ability and tools. He is a much better athlete in general. He weighs 240 pound compared to Wright's 220 and only 209 out of college. Wright couldn't bench 185 once out of UNC. This isn't comparable.

Ridiculous. You can't compare Willie Caulie-Stein's NBA defense to Brandan Wright's NBA defense because WCS isn't in the NBA. You can only compare them at the same stage of development.
WCS is what Sam Dalembert was as a sophmore at Seton Hall. A college defensive terror due to his physical tools.
WCS is a future 'Shaqtin a fool' all-star on offense. He tops out as Sam Dalembert and bottoms out as Javale Mghee.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
King Ken
General Manager

Post#25 » by King Ken » Wed Apr 8, 2015 7:05 pm

LloydFree wrote:
King Ken wrote:
LloydFree wrote:You're judging Caulie-Stein's Defense as a Junior to Brandan Wright's defense as a Freshman. WCS' defense as a Freshman was no better than Wright's and the offense is no contest. Either way its a faulty comparison and disrespectful to Brandan Wright. WCS will be lucky to reach Brendan Wright level in the NBA.

Ridiculous. You can't compare Willie Caulie-Stein's NBA defense to Brandan Wright's NBA defense because WCS isn't in the NBA. You can only compare them at the same stage of development.
WCS is what Sam Dalembert was as a sophmore at Seton Hall. A college defensive terror due to his physical tools.
WCS is a future 'Shaqtin a fool' all-star on offense. He tops out as Sam Dalembert and bottoms out as Javale Mghee.

:nonono:
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 9,508

Post#26 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Apr 8, 2015 7:37 pm

You can't just automatically project Cauley-Stein defensively. It remains to be seen if it will translate. The Dalembert comp was accurate in the sense that he was a menacing shotblocker in college, yet in the league guys still go through and around him. Cauley-Stein isn't a sure thing defensively at all. The guy doesn't even love basketball either.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#27 » by teerfour+40LG » Wed Apr 8, 2015 9:22 pm

Cauley-Stein has Reggie Evans offense. His block rate this year is awful, and he has never rebounded. He's not a starter. Bench C.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#28 » by LloydFree » Wed Apr 8, 2015 9:52 pm

teerfour+40LG wrote:Cauley-Stein has Reggie Evans offense. His block rate this year is awful, and he has never rebounded. He's not a starter. Bench C.

What does it matter that he's a center that is a zero on offense and doesn't rebound? He can stay in front of guards that play in the SEC... :nonono:
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#29 » by Killboard » Thu Apr 9, 2015 8:28 am

Neithet of Jordan, Chandler or Dalembert were the athletes than WCS is. He can defend every position in college, and his feet are quick enough to defend guards and still helping on the weak side at the same time.
I think it will depend on the coach that draft him. He seems to have a flying mind and the coach must be on him to keep his objectives reachable without frustrating him. But the guy has the tools to br a defensive nightmare in the NBA, and given the proper PG and system he could be a weapon on offense.
But for success at the next level he must learn to be more physical and a bad boy, just like jordan is. Foul every rebound without nobody seems to note.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#30 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Apr 9, 2015 8:58 am

A few years ago i said that Mason Plumlee reminds me of Noah. In this year's draft, Willie reminds me of Noah.

7 footer with good feet, good defense, and good hustle, whose offense will come from his hustle plays and IQ. Just like Noah, at best he is not a #1 or #2, but could be a very good #3 who might make one or two all star games and a few DPOY considerations if he puts in the hard work and things go well.
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#31 » by DickGrayson » Thu Apr 9, 2015 9:11 am

teerfour+40LG wrote:Cauley-Stein has Reggie Evans offense. His block rate this year is awful, and he has never rebounded. He's not a starter. Bench C.

maybe because Karl Towns was assigned to protect the rim and WCS was assigned to guard the perimeter?

WCS is a more than capable shot blocker.

His block rate % was 13.4 last year, it dropped down to 8.4 this year. It just shows how WCS's role was changed. He's a good shot blocker, better than Tyson Chandler for sure. Towns just happens to be very good at shot blocking and primary focus on defense was to swat shots.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#32 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Apr 9, 2015 2:08 pm

I know it's a minority view, but WCS is a bust waiting to happen. He has no offensive skills whatsoever.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,665

Post#33 » by Negrodamus » Thu Apr 9, 2015 2:19 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:I know it's a minority view, but WCS is a bust waiting to happen. He has no offensive skills whatsoever.

Judging by everyone else's opinion in this thread, it doesn't seem like a minority.

I will say this: if you're anticipating any form of offensive production out of WCS, then you will be disappointed unless he has an unforeseen epiphany in the pros. I see a place for him in the NBA, but I wouldn't spend a top 15, maybe even 20, pick on him.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#34 » by sipclip » Thu Apr 9, 2015 4:11 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:I know it's a minority view, but WCS is a bust waiting to happen. He has no offensive skills whatsoever.

Judging by everyone else's opinion in this thread, it doesn't seem like a minority.

I will say this: if you're anticipating any form of offensive production out of WCS, then you will be disappointed unless he has an unforeseen epiphany in the pros. I see a place for him in the NBA, but I wouldn't spend a top 15, maybe even 20, pick on him.

WCS absolutely has an offensive skill and that is the ability to finish around the rim. Some people don't consider that a skill but those people would be wrong. Earlier someone mentioned WCS being Reggie Evans on offense but that isn't even remotely true. Reggie Evans you can leave alone on the offensive end but WCS you have to keep a body on because if you don't he will get a lob around the rim. In this sense he is similar to Deandre Jordan. Jordan may not have a lot of offensive skills but because he can finish around the rim he has to covered. If you don't guard him then he will get easy buckets all game. Also the ability for a big to run the floor and get easy buckets is also skill.

Defensively the guy has it all. He can guard inside and outside and contests shots around the rim.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,665

Post#35 » by Negrodamus » Thu Apr 9, 2015 4:33 pm

sipclip wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

WCS absolutely has an offensive skill and that is the ability to finish around the rim. Some people don't consider that a skill but those people would be wrong. Earlier someone mentioned WCS being Reggie Evans on offense but that isn't even remotely true. Reggie Evans you can leave alone on the offensive end but WCS you have to keep a body on because if you don't he will get a lob around the rim. In this sense he is similar to Deandre Jordan. Jordan may not have a lot of offensive skills but because he can finish around the rim he has to covered. If you don't guard him then he will get easy buckets all game. Also the ability for a big to run the floor and get easy buckets is also skill.

Defensively the guy has it all. He can guard inside and outside and contests shots around the rim.

I don't know if you're just watching his highlight videos or what, but there was no other player I dreaded more with the ball in his hands than WCS. Yes, he can dunk alley oops. He can definitely dunk over a defender if he's caught out of position. If he's posting a guy up and gets the ball from 10 feet in, he was a complete liability. Zero touch; pretty much throwing the basketball in the vicinity of the basket. Contested dunks? Will most likely get fouled, but he will certainly not finish. I love Willie, but he was a complete liability on offense, ESPECIALLY around the rim. The fact that the offense could have worked it around and possibly gotten the ball to KAT (someone who is great at finishing around the rim) makes Willie a negative on offense. Luckily he could defend extremely well.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Post#36 » by KF10 » Thu Apr 9, 2015 5:05 pm

WCS would be a fit in George Karl's system. I like him for the Kings.

Rudy, WCS & Cousins front court would be a formidable unit, imo.

He is the "rim runner" that Karl has been wanting. He is a transition beast and can outrun 99% of bigs in the NBA. Easy points. Like others has said, he is a threat for lobs (andre miller to WCS, anyone?) due to his insane athleticism and skill to finish around the rim.

He would be an incredible P&R roll man ala Chandler where he can catch anything above rim and throw it down with authority.

He would be a pest in the offensive boards due to his quick 1st and 2nd jump.

He is an improving FT shooter. I think he shot a ~30ish% clip at the FT line in his freshman year, got better in his 2nd year and is now a ~60ish% FT shooter as a junior.

He even showed signs of a mid range jumper (!). Key word "signs" though. Did not flash it enough but it's there. That said, to me, if he works hard, he can obtain the mid range jumper in the NBA.

We all know he will be a game changer on defense. He would be even more sick once he gains strength so that he can be an elite rim protector. He is already an elite perimeter defender.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#37 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Thu Apr 9, 2015 7:27 pm

I think he's a little overrated in the mocks I have seen - I personally have him as a late lottery guy.

That said, he does provide a pretty unquestionable NBA skill-set that is in demand... so I could kind of see a team that needs a guy like that (Lakers, Sacramento, Denver, Miami) reaching for him if they drop out of the top 5. Wouldn't agree with the pick, and wont mock it up that way, but it is entirely possible. Not sure he will go beyond Phoenix though, and someone like Boston would be thrilled to have him at their pick.
FargoWolf
Pro Prospect
And1: 395

Post#38 » by FargoWolf » Thu Apr 9, 2015 7:34 pm

I know people will say his post up ability doesn't matter in the NBA but to me it is a huge red flag that somebody with his size and athletic ability couldn't develop even a rudimentary low post game while in college for three years. Can't even post up 6'5 guys, it is just sad. All he can do is dunk offensively. His defense is great but even great college defenders struggle right away in the league.

There seems to be a cult of Wolves fans that love him but I think he would be a disaster in Minnesota. On the right team I could see him making an impact perhaps but I am skeptical.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#39 » by sipclip » Thu Apr 9, 2015 7:35 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
sipclip wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

I don't know if you're just watching his highlight videos or what, but there was no other player I dreaded more with the ball in his hands than WCS. Yes, he can dunk alley oops. He can definitely dunk over a defender if he's caught out of position. If he's posting a guy up and gets the ball from 10 feet in, he was a complete liability. Zero touch; pretty much throwing the basketball in the vicinity of the basket. Contested dunks? Will most likely get fouled, but he will certainly not finish. I love Willie, but he was a complete liability on offense, ESPECIALLY around the rim. The fact that the offense could have worked it around and possibly gotten the ball to KAT (someone who is great at finishing around the rim) makes Willie a negative on offense. Luckily he could defend extremely well.

No one is expecting him to be a post player. I'm strictly talking about the fact that you can't just leave the guy alone on the offensive end because all he has to do is go towards the hoop and it is an easy lob for dunk. The clippers do not post up DJ either but he is very useful on the offensive end because whenever his defender leaves him it tends to turn into an easy 2 points. There is no reason that it can't be the same way with WCS.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,602

Post#40 » by youngthegiant » Thu Apr 9, 2015 7:40 pm

Here is my own personal highlight vid of WCS. Check it out

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq2meKXJSsg[/youtube]

Return to NBA Draft