kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Re: Robert Upshaw 

Post#21 » by kennydorglas » Wed May 13, 2015 6:14 pm

Mattya wrote:
kennydorglas wrote:
Mattya wrote:
I doubt it. We all knew he was big and has talent, everything about where he is drafted will depend on his background check and interviews.

yeah, his background is really bad but I had him with a 7'4 wingspan. 7'7 is another level of 'BIG'.
at very least, he'll be drafted in the late 1st IMO

Gobert was drafted in the very late first with better measurements, and significantly less off the court question marks.

Fair point.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#22 » by No-Man » Wed May 13, 2015 7:26 pm

He is really big, the problem is he is not that talented, athletic or professional, from his behaviour, still someone will give him a shot, he is the longest guy in this class.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,955

Post#23 » by Chuck Everett » Wed May 13, 2015 7:31 pm

A late first round pick is a minimal commitment. Two years (plus two options ) at a little over a million. If he pans out, you have a future game changer in the paint. Lakers should be hopeful he drops to 27. Spurs would be another great organization for him (with mentors like David Robinson and Tim Duncan).
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#24 » by No-Man » Wed May 13, 2015 7:33 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:A late first round pick is a minimal commitment. Two years (plus two options ) at a little over a million. If he pans out, you have a future game changer in the paint. Lakers should be hopeful he drops to 27. Spurs would be another great organization for him (with mentors like David Robinson and Tim Duncan).

teams like Spurs have been succesful over the years because they draft guys that will fit their system and are not headcases to begin with.
a 1st round is a really useful resource, no way you burn it in a guy like Upshaw unless you have multiple picks or you are in need of boom or bust talent.
I will bet all my money on the Spurs not even considering Upshaw.
Me personally, I dont think I will draft him until de 40s.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#25 » by Mattya » Wed May 13, 2015 7:35 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:A late first round pick is a minimal commitment. Two years (plus two options ) at a little over a million. If he pans out, you have a future game changer in the paint. Lakers should be hopeful he drops to 27. Spurs would be another great organization for him (with mentors like David Robinson and Tim Duncan).

and if he has a really bad drug problem, then you might even have to worry about the other guys in the locker room even being near him.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#26 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Wed May 13, 2015 8:16 pm

Lakers will probably take a chance on him at 27.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#27 » by Ruzious » Wed May 13, 2015 8:33 pm

Fischella wrote:

teams like Spurs have been succesful over the years because they draft guys that will fit their system and are not headcases to begin with.
a 1st round is a really useful resource, no way you burn it in a guy like Upshaw unless you have multiple picks or you are in need of boom or bust talent.
I will bet all my money on the Spurs not even considering Upshaw.
Me personally, I dont think I will draft him until de 40s.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if the Spurs pick him. They go after boy scouts willing to take Pop's abuse and say Yes sir, No sir, How high sir, may I have another sir. Where he gets drafted depends on how he interviews, imo. If he interviews poorly, nobody's going to draft him. If he interviews well, he could go in the early 20's. Notice he didn't just measure the longest, he also measured with the biggest hands - widest and longest. Good hands makes a very big difference for bigs. Big hands usually means good hands.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#28 » by urinesane » Wed May 13, 2015 10:32 pm

I would think that he would either be a 2nd rounder or undrafted.

There's no way a team is going to give guaranteed money to someone who, like Whiteside, will probably not develop until his 2nd or 3rd team if he ever does.

The red flags are huge with him and I'm guessing that will scare most teams away from using a 1st rounder on him... it just doesn't make sense to take that risk with a guy that was kicked off of two teams in college.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#29 » by MalonesElbows » Thu May 14, 2015 3:53 am

So risky. If his head isn't on straight or just don't really love the game he's Larry Sanders 2.0
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#30 » by Mattya » Thu May 14, 2015 11:32 pm

He interviews so well for a guy with so many off the court questions.
teleblaze
Banned User
And1: 360

Post#31 » by teleblaze » Fri May 15, 2015 12:04 am

Mattya wrote:He interviews so well for a guy with so many off the court questions.

he really sounds like an intelligent guy...
Right?
massive attack
Sophomore
And1: 85

Post#32 » by massive attack » Fri May 15, 2015 6:58 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5vOZho1YuM

Seems like a decent guy in general, more articulate than I thought. Those step-back 3's too!

Return to NBA Draft