Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

Chriscarr9924
Sophomore
Posts: 206
And1: 146
Joined: Jul 12, 2013
       

Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#1 » by Chriscarr9924 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:21 pm

Who is the best comparison for him? I dont know very much about the guy.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
User avatar
Barnsey
Junior
Posts: 296
And1: 87
Joined: Jun 14, 2003
Contact:
 

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#2 » by Barnsey » Thu May 28, 2015 1:28 pm

There's been heaps of recent discussion about this already in the threads dedicated to him + the player comp threads. But basically there's lots of mixed opinions. Some think he's gonna be a bust like Nikoloz Tskitishvili. Some think he's gonna be the next coming for Dirk or Raef Lafrentz. Most seem to think Bargnani is the most accurate comparison.

My personal opinion is i think he'll be a bust if he's taken top 10. No way in hell is he another Dirk. Nowhere near as dynamic or as quick a thinker. He's super skinny, and hasn't put on any weight in the past year. He's pretty mobile for his size, but doesn't jump high, and will lose mobility advantage once he gains weight cos he's not that explosive. He also doesn't have the kind of court awareness you'd expect from someone who is supposed to have so much upside. Great shooter though, but he's 7'1" and plays like SF. Shies away from contact. No toughness. Gets pushed around and knocked off balance very easily, like Cody Zeller did when he first came up. I think Bargnani is a pretty good comparison, though i don't think he'll average 20ppg like Bargnani did.

Recent discussions that should fuel your curiosity:
Twitter: @Barnsketball
Pb
Freshman
Posts: 63
And1: 14
Joined: Dec 30, 2004
 

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#3 » by Pb » Thu May 28, 2015 4:59 pm

Pau, both are/were skinny long white euros, able to shoot from outside and pretty good facing up. Bargnani was a much better shooter than Porzingis is at this point, and I don´t see Nowitzki at all. Mirotic with less shooting and a better face up game could be a good one too.
User avatar
Barnsey
Junior
Posts: 296
And1: 87
Joined: Jun 14, 2003
Contact:
 

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#4 » by Barnsey » Thu May 28, 2015 6:38 pm

Pau was way better at the same age. Way more accomplished.

Just had to get that out there..
Twitter: @Barnsketball
jpatrick
Starter
Posts: 2,406
And1: 503
Joined: May 30, 2007
 

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#5 » by jpatrick » Thu May 28, 2015 7:21 pm

Barnsey wrote:Pau was way better at the same age. Way more accomplished.

Just had to get that out there..


Is this correct? I just took a quick look at the ACB website and I could be reading it wrong, but it looks like Pau averaged about 4 points per game as a 19 year old compared to Porzingis' 11. Now, Pau probably played for a much better team therefore minutes and shots were harder to come by.

I still say that as long as he can get up in the 240 pound range, he'll have an Ibaka-like effect on games. I don't think he'll ever be a guy that you run your offense through like Pau or Dirk, but like Ibaka, he'll spread the floor and provide very good rim protection. He's not the athlete that Ibaka is, although he is a good athlete, but he'll make up for that difference with length. I wouldn't be shocked if he measured in at 7'2" with a Gobert-like standing reach.
Pb
Freshman
Posts: 63
And1: 14
Joined: Dec 30, 2004
 

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#6 » by Pb » Thu May 28, 2015 8:03 pm

As I did Mirotic vs porzingis I can add Gasol easily:

Mirotic 2013 vs. Porzingis 2014 vs. Gasol 2001
http://www.acb.com/stsacumjug.php?cod_jugador=BGK
http://www.acb.com/stsacumjug.php?cod_jugador=259
http://www.acb.com/stsacumjug.php?cod_jugador=A2C

Points per minute 0.54 vs 0.49 vs 0.48
Rebounds per minute 0.24 vs 0.22 vs 0.22
Assist per minute 0.05 vs 0.02 vs 0.03
Steals per minute 0.05 vs 0.04 vs 0.05
Blocks per minute 0.02 vs 0.05 vs 0.05
Fouls per minute 0.07 vs 0.13 vs 0.08
Value per minute (kind of per) 0.69 vs 0.50 vs 0.60
Shooting % (1pt, 2pt, 3pt) 78, 59, 35 vs 79, 53, 32 vs 59, 59, 35

As you can see Porzingis and Gasol look quite alike, Gasol being a bit better, he was playing in a much better team though and his minutes were mainly as a SF, while porzingis plays PF mainly. Gasol's development during the year was amazing, while Porzingis is been kind of consistent through the year.
HotelVitale
General Manager
Posts: 7,970
And1: 3,964
Joined: Sep 14, 2007
Location: West Philly, PA

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#7 » by HotelVitale » Thu May 28, 2015 8:06 pm

I said this on the Hezonja thread, but the thing about him as 'slow-thinking' and soft has been overblown and taken out of context. In general, he plays very aggressively and quickly. There are times when he's late on rotations or ball watches or doesn't have a good escape plan when he's in traffic. But that's a fault that many many 19 year olds would have playing in a decent overseas league against vets. When draftexpress brings stuff like that up, they're saying that he's not a fully formed player and makes mistakes. They're absolutely NOT saying he's an especially slow or dull-witted player, or that he makes such bad decisions all the time that he might be unplayable. (If he was, he would be much further down the current list of prospects.See, for example, how far Hassan Whiteside fell because of his reaction/mentality issues.)

That said, I think he's a risk in the top 6-7. It's not clear what he'll develop into and nothing about him suggests a star. You're drafting him for his height/length and his shooting stroke and hoping you can mold him into something unique. I think that people who like him see a Rasheed Wallace-type player, who uses length to contest shots and shoot 3s over the top of people, while also running the floor and being part of a fluid offense. Not a dominant rebounder but a good athlete who can do a bit of everything on offense and hold his own on defense.
jpatrick
Starter
Posts: 2,406
And1: 503
Joined: May 30, 2007
 

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#8 » by jpatrick » Thu May 28, 2015 8:57 pm

Pb wrote:As I did Mirotic vs porzingis I can add Gasol easily:

Mirotic 2013 vs. Porzingis 2014 vs. Gasol 2001
http://www.acb.com/stsacumjug.php?cod_jugador=BGK
http://www.acb.com/stsacumjug.php?cod_jugador=259
http://www.acb.com/stsacumjug.php?cod_jugador=A2C

Points per minute 0.54 vs 0.49 vs 0.48
Rebounds per minute 0.24 vs 0.22 vs 0.22
Assist per minute 0.05 vs 0.02 vs 0.03
Steals per minute 0.05 vs 0.04 vs 0.05
Blocks per minute 0.02 vs 0.05 vs 0.05
Fouls per minute 0.07 vs 0.13 vs 0.08
Value per minute (kind of per) 0.69 vs 0.50 vs 0.60
Shooting % (1pt, 2pt, 3pt) 78, 59, 35 vs 79, 53, 32 vs 59, 59, 35

As you can see Porzingis and Gasol look quite alike, Gasol being a bit better, he was playing in a much better team though and his minutes were mainly as a SF, while porzingis plays PF mainly. Gasol's development during the year was amazing, while Porzingis is been kind of consistent through the year.


Interesting numbers, the only thing I would caution is that your are comparing a 19 year old Porzingis to a 20 year old Gasol and a 22 year old Mirotic. That age difference might not seen like alot, but a year of physical development makes a huge difference when evaluating these guys.
Human Being
Pro Prospect
Posts: 955
And1: 93
Joined: Jan 10, 2010

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#9 » by Human Being » Thu May 28, 2015 9:46 pm

Barnsey wrote:There's been heaps of recent discussion about this already in the threads dedicated to him + the player comp threads. But basically there's lots of mixed opinions. Some think he's gonna be a bust like Nikoloz Tskitishvili. Some think he's gonna be the next coming for Dirk or Raef Lafrentz. Most seem to think Bargnani is the most accurate comparison.

My personal opinion is i think he'll be a bust if he's taken top 10. No way in hell is he another Dirk. Nowhere near as dynamic or as quick a thinker. He's super skinny, and hasn't put on any weight in the past year. He's pretty mobile for his size, but doesn't jump high, and will lose mobility advantage once he gains weight cos he's not that explosive. He also doesn't have the kind of court awareness you'd expect from someone who is supposed to have so much upside. Great shooter though, but he's 7'1" and plays like SF. Shies away from contact. No toughness. Gets pushed around and knocked off balance very easily, like Cody Zeller did when he first came up. I think Bargnani is a pretty good comparison, though i don't think he'll average 20ppg like Bargnani did.

Recent discussions that should fuel your curiosity:

only the bolded parts are wrong
koko wrote:
YFZblu wrote:
koko wrote:I want to F Navarro. Do him some nasty things.

:o


Watchin him play makes me horny. Deal with it, i did.
Frank Dux
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,385
And1: 4,782
Joined: Jul 08, 2009
 

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#10 » by Frank Dux » Fri May 29, 2015 12:50 am

Pb wrote:Pau, both are/were skinny long white euros, able to shoot from outside and pretty good facing up. Bargnani was a much better shooter than Porzingis is at this point, and I don´t see Nowitzki at all. Mirotic with less shooting and a better face up game could be a good one too.


No way. Pau plays like a PF/C with some guard skills. Porzingis is taller, but doesn't have the upside to be a player of Pau's caliber. He's far too raw. Pau always had a pretty strong base to hold his ground in the post, I just don't see that with Porzingis.

I think Porzingis is what he is. I don't see him developing elite NBA skills.
Damkac
Veteran
Posts: 2,769
And1: 2,386
Joined: Apr 18, 2011
Location: Poland

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#11 » by Damkac » Fri May 29, 2015 6:40 am

His best comparison is *random tall white european guy*
Image
903124
Sophomore
Posts: 109
And1: 17
Joined: Jan 17, 2015

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#12 » by 903124 » Fri May 29, 2015 7:21 am

Human Being wrote:only the bolded parts are wrong


I think he really get push around and having an average vertical.
Human Being
Pro Prospect
Posts: 955
And1: 93
Joined: Jan 10, 2010

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#13 » by Human Being » Fri May 29, 2015 7:47 am

Regarding vertical - compared to who? Guards, Dwight and Deandre? yes, an awful vertical. For 7ft+ guys - above average!
koko wrote:
YFZblu wrote:
koko wrote:I want to F Navarro. Do him some nasty things.

:o


Watchin him play makes me horny. Deal with it, i did.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,339
And1: 1,063
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#14 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:35 pm

I'm tired of people regurgitating the same false information over and over again. I can't promise he's not a bust, but he has the tools to make a great player of himself in the league.
User avatar
PockyCandy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 8,202
And1: 16,008
Joined: Jan 27, 2015
Location: Making videos that you watch
 

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#15 » by PockyCandy » Fri May 29, 2015 1:53 pm

Could someone give a comparison that doesn't involve a white European big man (although someone did give Ibaka as a comp).
Image

My Youtube Channel. The #1 place to watch highlights of classic running-backs AND forgotten NBA legends:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRCZ96IaHDaW8xr5TZq3GUQ
User avatar
Barnsey
Junior
Posts: 296
And1: 87
Joined: Jun 14, 2003
Contact:
 

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#16 » by Barnsey » Fri May 29, 2015 2:31 pm

Pb wrote:As I did Mirotic vs porzingis I can add Gasol easily:

Mirotic 2013 vs. Porzingis 2014 vs. Gasol 2001
http://www.acb.com/stsacumjug.php?cod_jugador=BGK
http://www.acb.com/stsacumjug.php?cod_jugador=259
http://www.acb.com/stsacumjug.php?cod_jugador=A2C

Points per minute 0.54 vs 0.49 vs 0.48
Rebounds per minute 0.24 vs 0.22 vs 0.22
Assist per minute 0.05 vs 0.02 vs 0.03
Steals per minute 0.05 vs 0.04 vs 0.05
Blocks per minute 0.02 vs 0.05 vs 0.05
Fouls per minute 0.07 vs 0.13 vs 0.08
Value per minute (kind of per) 0.69 vs 0.50 vs 0.60
Shooting % (1pt, 2pt, 3pt) 78, 59, 35 vs 79, 53, 32 vs 59, 59, 35

As you can see Porzingis and Gasol look quite alike, Gasol being a bit better, he was playing in a much better team though and his minutes were mainly as a SF, while porzingis plays PF mainly. Gasol's development during the year was amazing, while Porzingis is been kind of consistent through the year.

The key difference is that Pau's team won the Spanish National Cup and Pau was named MVP. Kristap's team was fighting for relegation all season.
Twitter: @Barnsketball
Notanoob
Analyst
Posts: 3,392
And1: 1,161
Joined: Jun 07, 2013

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#17 » by Notanoob » Fri May 29, 2015 3:15 pm

PockyCandy wrote:Could someone give a comparison that doesn't involve a white European big man (although someone did give Ibaka as a comp).

Rasheed Wallace after going without food for five days and no post-up game?
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,339
And1: 1,063
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#18 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:23 pm

Notanoob wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:Could someone give a comparison that doesn't involve a white European big man (although someone did give Ibaka as a comp).

Rasheed Wallace after going without food for five days and no post-up game?


Michael Jordan, but six inches taller with a worse handle, worse speed, worse lateral movement, worse defense, better three point shot, worse at taking contact, and worse potential.
Pb
Freshman
Posts: 63
And1: 14
Joined: Dec 30, 2004
 

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#19 » by Pb » Fri May 29, 2015 3:27 pm

Barnsey wrote:
Pb wrote:As I did Mirotic vs porzingis I can add Gasol easily:

Mirotic 2013 vs. Porzingis 2014 vs. Gasol 2001
http://www.acb.com/stsacumjug.php?cod_jugador=BGK
http://www.acb.com/stsacumjug.php?cod_jugador=259
http://www.acb.com/stsacumjug.php?cod_jugador=A2C

Points per minute 0.54 vs 0.49 vs 0.48
Rebounds per minute 0.24 vs 0.22 vs 0.22
Assist per minute 0.05 vs 0.02 vs 0.03
Steals per minute 0.05 vs 0.04 vs 0.05
Blocks per minute 0.02 vs 0.05 vs 0.05
Fouls per minute 0.07 vs 0.13 vs 0.08
Value per minute (kind of per) 0.69 vs 0.50 vs 0.60
Shooting % (1pt, 2pt, 3pt) 78, 59, 35 vs 79, 53, 32 vs 59, 59, 35

As you can see Porzingis and Gasol look quite alike, Gasol being a bit better, he was playing in a much better team though and his minutes were mainly as a SF, while porzingis plays PF mainly. Gasol's development during the year was amazing, while Porzingis is been kind of consistent through the year.

The key difference is that Pau's team won the Spanish National Cup and Pau was named MVP. Kristap's team was fighting for relegation all season.


Yes, and the position they played, Gasol was mainly having minutes at SF, he was way better at the end of the season, in the link you can check his numbers for Play-offs (41% from 3pt range or 0.84 value per minute to start with), just amazing. My opinion is that you can expect some kind of big improvement from Porzingis during next 1-2 years, then you have an all-star PF, if he does not improve that much, then you have a decent rotation big.

Gasol did not have a polished post game at all when he was drafted, he developed it in Memphis. I see Porzingis having a similar development, I would take him for sure after the 6th pick. Porzingis at this point is a great prospect of Face Up PF, he can bust the same Towns or Okafor can, these two won't be available after the first 2 picks.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
Posts: 27,928
And1: 8,843
Joined: Jan 20, 2004
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#20 » by Curmudgeon » Fri May 29, 2015 3:29 pm

Donatas Motiejunas
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit

Return to NBA Draft