Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,965

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#61 » by tmorgan » Wed Jun 3, 2015 10:14 am

Porzingis needs to go to a team that can afford for him to fail... and to give him time to develop. The potential is too tantalizing for him to fall that far, though. He has like a 10% chance to be an all-star and a 30% chance to completely wash out and/or get broken in half.

I do like the Uncle Cliffy comp, though, with potential for more.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#62 » by 12footrim » Wed Jun 3, 2015 12:35 pm

mos_def wrote:
12footrim wrote:
mos_def wrote:
Its nbadraft, but Ive seen others were they say his has narrow shoulders so they question how much mass he can put on
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/kristaps-porzingis

Draft express says he has a good frame. Regardless anyone is capable of adding musculature to any frame and getting stronger.

Not really. Take Brandon Wright for example. He has always been skinny. You can bulk up but if your body structure doesnt allow it you wont get that big, which is why most people look at shoulders to fill in. I dont expect Porzingis to get bigger than 245 tops, which is still small for a player his size and players around him will be getting just as big/stronger with him

Sure, there are some extreme examples of ectomorphs mostly from east African decent, but I don't think it's impossible even for them to gain some weight and most importantly strength with the right nutrition and hard work. Even Manute Bole eventually got pudgy when he was old. and retired.I also have a hard time believing a guy of northern European decent couldn't put on bulk. Genetically most northern Europeans are built for colder climates and generally carry more bulk anyway and have more physiological traits to retain heat.

I also think Wright staying relatively lean might be more about his game. I think he is certainly stronger and has more defined muscles but his game is all about dunking off pick and rolls and running in transition. He has no back to the basket game where bulk would help. On D is value is more of a shot blocker to anyway and helping block shots around the rim than having the bulk of holding position or someone 5 feet farther out like a Zach Randolph.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,012

Post#63 » by R-DAWG » Thu Jun 4, 2015 5:35 pm

Pb wrote:Pau, both are/were skinny long white euros, able to shoot from outside and pretty good facing up. Bargnani was a much better shooter than Porzingis is at this point, and I donĀ“t see Nowitzki at all. Mirotic with less shooting and a better face up game could be a good one too.

That is scary
majortom71
Starter
And1: 1,186

Post#64 » by majortom71 » Tue Jun 9, 2015 4:38 am

Can someone please explain to me what the hype is for this guy? He is always listed in top 5 of every mock draft out there and I just don't see it. For one he is a 7 footer that has poor rebounding ability and then his best NBA comp is Bargnani... :nonono:
Also he looks like a twig out there. I can seem him getting bullied around the basket.

Yet again he's always listed top of mock drafts! I don't get it... :confused: :confused: :confused:
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#65 » by Notanoob » Tue Jun 9, 2015 5:43 am

majortom71 wrote:Can someone please explain to me what the hype is for this guy? He is always listed in top 5 of every mock draft out there and I just don't see it. For one he is a 7 footer that has poor rebounding ability and then his best NBA comp is Bargnani... :nonono:
Also he looks like a twig out there. I can seem him getting bullied around the basket.

Yet again he's always listed top of mock drafts! I don't get it... :confused: :confused: :confused:

He's very mobile for a guy his height, he can shoot 3s and he can block shots due to his length. Power Forwards who can protect the rim and shoot 3s are extremely rare and very valuable to teams, so even if he's going to get pushed around and suck on the glass, they're willing to sacrifice those traits for his other gifts.

I think that he's overrated if he's listed in the top 5.
HB2
Pro Prospect
And1: 93

Post#66 » by HB2 » Tue Jun 9, 2015 6:50 am

majortom71 wrote:Can someone please explain to me what the hype is for this guy? He is always listed in top 5 of every mock draft out there and I just don't see it. For one he is a 7 footer that has poor rebounding ability and then his best NBA comp is Bargnani... :nonono:

His only problem is that he is not NBA ready body wise, thus teams might be hesitant to pay him 2 years of NBA salary waiting for him to develop his body. Other than that you have 7'2 PF who can put it on the floor, can shoot threes, can block shots and DOES NOT have poor rebounding ability. He has good athleticism and is only 19, when he stops growing you will have freak of nature on your hands.
koko wrote:
YFZblu wrote:
koko wrote:I want to F Navarro. Do him some nasty things.

:o

Watchin him play makes me horny. Deal with it, i did.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#67 » by teerfour+40LG » Tue Jun 9, 2015 7:10 am

Someone said 2013-14 Chris Bosh, and I like that comparison, but without the 1 on 1 scoring ability.

I really doubt he can play the 4 in the NBA. He's too tall and not athletic enough. He should been seen as a center.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#68 » by fendilim » Tue Jun 9, 2015 7:17 am

I've been on the Kristaps bandwagon since last year (I wanted the Magic an Exum-Kristaps draft last year for the Magic). Anyway, I think KP can be a really good player in the right system. His skills seems to be transferable to the NBA. His shooting and length is a vital part of his game, and I don't see that changing. TBH, I think he clud be this year's Giannis in terms of being a freak athelete, upside, but still has a lot to improve on in order to succeed in this league.

Case in point Jan Vesley. Someone on our board brought up how Vesley's game didn't translate very well in the NBA. Like mentioned by another poster, Vesley wasn't put in the right situation and played a totally different position in the NBA. And I hope this doesn't happen to Kristaps regardless of which team drafts him.
PLT
Ballboy
And1: 23

Post#69 » by PLT » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:32 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/609090238716051456[/tweet]
TripleA1
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#70 » by TripleA1 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:17 am

This guy has some flaws but his skillset and production at his age is very promising. A lot people calling him a bust already but I think his tools will aid until his body and basketball i.q catch up like serge ibaka.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,702

Post#71 » by Viper1500 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:03 am

I'm hoping he's the real deal and the Magic can draft this guy. Pretty insane athleticism for a guy his size and to have a 3 point stroke. That's rare
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,669

Post#72 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:27 am

Have his wingspan and standing reach been measured and reported anywhere?
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#73 » by Moooose » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:03 am

Bargnani's the closest comparison I can think of.
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#74 » by Dcebucks11 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:08 am

He doesn't look athletic or explosive to me, just tall and skinny, Needs to hit the weights badly, i don't see any muscle on the guy.. and his instincts are supposedly poor.. Right now I'd say he's comparable to Donatas Motiejunas with a bit better shooting but much worse post game.

Noway I would draft him over mudiay
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#75 » by Village Idiot » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:05 am

I like Bosh as the ceiling and Frye as the probable. Back to Europe as the floor.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#76 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:43 pm

Are there really no concrete measurements for this guy? I'm watching his workout and his body looks very narrow and arms are relatively short. His height may not be an advantage at all if his wingspan and standing reach are that of a player typically a few inches shorter than him. Nikoloz Tskitishvili failing in the NBA is one of the main reasons why wingspan and standing reach measurements are taken. NBA execs shouldn't fall for the same highly skilled "big man" mirage again.

Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,298

Post#77 » by Side beard » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:00 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:Are there really no concrete measurements for this guy? I'm watching his workout and his body looks very narrow and arms are relatively short. His height may not be an advantage at all if his wingspan and standing reach are that of a player typically a few inches shorter than him. Nikoloz Tskitishvili failing in the NBA is one of the main reasons why wingspan and standing reach measurements are taken. NBA execs shouldn't fall for the same highly skilled "big man" mirage again.

His wingspan is 7'2 or 7'3. Don't recall correctly.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#78 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:23 pm

Side beard wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:Are there really no concrete measurements for this guy? I'm watching his workout and his body looks very narrow and arms are relatively short. His height may not be an advantage at all if his wingspan and standing reach are that of a player typically a few inches shorter than him. Nikoloz Tskitishvili failing in the NBA is one of the main reasons why wingspan and standing reach measurements are taken. NBA execs shouldn't fall for the same highly skilled "big man" mirage again.

I've searched for it and read people say similar measurements but during my research, much like your post, those measurements were never attached to a credible source that has conducted these measurements in the past. This is concerning. You would think that front offices would demand measurements and all draft prospect media outlets would be commenting on his lack of measurements. Is this something done purposely by him and his handlers to hide that his wingspan and standing reach are below average for a player of his height?

Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,298

Post#79 » by Side beard » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:29 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:
Side beard wrote:

I've searched for it and read people say similar measurements but during my research, much like your post, those measurements were never attached to a credible source that has conducted these measurements in the past. This is concerning. You would think that front offices would demand measurements and all draft prospect media outlets would be commenting on his lack of measurements. Is this something done purposely by him and his handlers to hide that his wingspan and standing reach are below average for a player of his height?

He said it himself. Just like his weight 230. We just have to wait for official measurments.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,531

Post#80 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:01 pm

Porzingis production for his age is very encouraging and should help reduce his bust risk compared to some classic busts of the past like Darko, Yi, Skita, etc.. A 20 PER player at a high level in Europe as a 19 year old is really good and I believe Kevin Pelton had him ranked 7th in projected WARP in February based on European/NBA translation. I feel like if he's not worth a top 5 pick situation it'll be like Jonas where the team is still getting something but just not as impressive as they hoped

Return to NBA Draft