Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,475

Re: Who is Tyler Dorsey? 

Post#21 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:19 pm

mojo13 wrote:
Greek wrote:What about him? he had very good season, really good shooter.

I know that he is not coming out, but since he is Greek and he has Greek passport i am interest to read the opinion of people that actually saw him

It is a stretch to call him Greek. But if your country needs American guards to be relevant then go for it.
He is born and raised in the US - he doesn't speak Greek and had never been there before last year playing for the u19 team.
He had one Greek maternal grandparent (deceased). His mother was not born nor raised in Greece (mother born in Israel and raised in USA).
Greece can be a little loose with its citizenship requirements (hey you like Greek food? Here is a passport! :)

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/07/09/tyler-dorsey-oregon-ducks-greece-u19s

Good player though - I really liked him at Oregon this year. and he was probably the best player on the Greek u19 team last summer.
I think he needs to stay at Oregon one more year. Oregon can be a great team if everyone comes back.

Greece does not have loose citizenship requirements. It has very similar laws as the USA does, and actually it's one of the by far hardest countries in all of Europe to get a passport from. It also has much stricter and tougher eligibility rules for qualifying to play for its sports national teams than USA does. Much tougher and stricter in the case as compared to USA by leaps and bounds.

Papagiannis and Charalampopulos were better players than Dorsey on that Greek team last year. Dorsey was the 3rd best player on that team, being just barely slightly better than Vassilis Toliopoulos.

Also Greece;'s national team requires all its players be able to speak Greek. They either have to speak Greek before they join the program (Koufos, Auguste), or they have to learn how to do so once they get into the program (Nick Galis, Nick Calathes, Michael Bramos, Tyler Dorsey). Calathes and Bramos both said they had to learn Greek once they agreed to join their national team. Dorsey said the same thing last summer, and had said that he's already had extensive lessons in Greek.

The Greek senior national team has a Greek coach, and all of their coaching and training is done in Greek language, with no English being spoken. So yeah, they have to know Greek, or learn it.

Greek, I told you Larentzakis is one of the best young guards in Europe. He would be a college senior if he was American. You said he had awful stats and there was no hope for him. Well, he has great stats for a player his age now in a league like Greek League, even terrific stats, considering his team does not feature him at all, and uses him more as a role player.

But he's getting consistent minutes now, and he's showing all those same great skills and scoring abilities that he showed in all the youth tournaments.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk2ggBRA0m4[/youtube]

He is definitely one of the top young guard prospects in Europe.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#22 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:21 pm

According to reports, Dorsey will enter the 2016 NBA draft.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#23 » by No-Man » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:30 pm

He is in without an agent, like 50% of the underclassmen who have declared, he should come back.
I like his potential, he actually moves well and plays defense, needs to tighten up his handle and shot, become a pro basically, but he has a better NBA-profile than those of Waiters or Rivers, guys that he has been compared to.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:54 pm

Fischella wrote:He is in without an agent, like 50% of the underclassmen who have declared, he should come back.
I like his potential, he actually moves well and plays defense, needs to tighten up his handle and shot, become a pro basically, but he has a better NBA-profile than those of Waiters or Rivers, guys that he has been compared to.

He might just stay in and if he does not get drafted go play in the Greek League. He has been offered a lot of money to play in Greece, the same situation as Ioannis Papapetrou.

Return to NBA Draft