Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

dham1974
Assistant Coach
And1: 65

Re: Brandon Ingram 

Post#361 » by dham1974 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:58 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:Better or worse prospect than Jabari Parker?

Jabari and its not even close. Jabari had a much higher floor coming out and has already shown he can atleast be a 19/6 type player with good efficiency. Jabari also has the higher ceiling also. I would choose Jabari 10 out of 10 times. Jabari would be the run away #1 pick this year

Correct me if I'm wrong but Jabari plays on one end of the floor. He's not great from long range he's melo without the versatile scoring. So how does he have higher floor? Ingram is the better passer more versatile scorer and better defender.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#362 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:10 pm

dham1974 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:Better or worse prospect than Jabari Parker?

Jabari and its not even close. Jabari had a much higher floor coming out and has already shown he can atleast be a 19/6 type player with good efficiency. Jabari also has the higher ceiling also. I would choose Jabari 10 out of 10 times. Jabari would be the run away #1 pick this year

Correct me if I'm wrong but Jabari plays on one end of the floor. He's not great from long range he's melo without the versatile scoring. So how does he have higher floor? Ingram is the better passer more versatile scorer and better defender.

I dont have much doubt that Jabari will be a good 3 point shooter within the next couple years. He was a good 3 point shooter all throughout high school and the first half of college. He has good form so I dont think it will be long till hes a legit threat from there. Jabar was the better 3 point shooter than Melo in college and Melo didnt have a good 3 point shooting season till he was 24, Melo has had 8 seasons where he has shot under 35% from 3. Jabari has the much better footwork and low post scoring as well than Ingram. Jabari is also the far superior athlete as well. Ingram without a doubt is the superior defender coming out of college and has the higher defensive upside. But I think Jabari has all the tools to become at least an average defender. I think he is going to be an offensive stud, I think in a couple years Jabari is going to be a 23-25 ppg scorer while shooting around 50% (again put up 19/6 on 50% after the break this year). I dont think the edge Ingram is going to have over him on defense will be enough to make up for the edge on the offensive end that Jabari has.
dham1974
Assistant Coach

Post#363 » by dham1974 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:25 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
dham1974 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I dont have much doubt that Jabari will be a good 3 point shooter within the next couple years. He was a good 3 point shooter all throughout high school and the first half of college. He has good form so I dont think it will be long till hes a legit threat from there. Jabar was the better 3 point shooter than Melo in college and Melo didnt have a good 3 point shooting season till he was 24, Melo has had 8 seasons where he has shot under 35% from 3. Jabari has the much better footwork and low post scoring as well than Ingram. Jabari is also the far superior athlete as well. Ingram without a doubt is the superior defender coming out of college and has the higher defensive upside. But I think Jabari has all the tools to become at least an average defender. I think he is going to be an offensive stud, I think in a couple years Jabari is going to be a 23-25 ppg scorer while shooting around 50% (again put up 19/6 on 50% after the break this year). I dont think the edge Ingram is going to have over him on defense will be enough to make up for the edge on the offensive end that Jabari has.

So you're talking about all the things Jabari could work on and become better but acting like Ingram is a finished product lol ok

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#364 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:30 pm

dham1974 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
dham1974 wrote:

So you're talking about all the things Jabari could work on and become better but acting like Ingram is a finished product lol ok

I dont ever recall saying Ingram was a finished product. I just think Jabari is a superior player. I think Ingram is going to be a good starter and may make an all star or two. I think he will be limited because of how skinny and lack of athleticism
dham1974
Assistant Coach

Post#365 » by dham1974 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:59 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
dham1974 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I dont ever recall saying Ingram was a finished product. I just think Jabari is a superior player. I think Ingram is going to be a good starter and may make an all star or two. I think he will be limited because of how skinny and lack of athleticism

Again you project improvement for Jabari but talk as if Ingram is a finished product. Durant is skinny but he's a better player than melo ever was so here it is you're projecting Jabari to improve his shot and defense but think But ingram won't improve his post foot work or get stronger. I smell bias.

Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,755

Post#366 » by Prez » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:29 am

Jabari was literally instructed by Kidd not to shoot 3s for most of this year. We can still consider it a question mark, but we gotta factor in context. Watching almost all Bucks games this year I have zero concern about Jabari's jumpshot/range. I have no doubts he will be a very good shooter.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#367 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:43 am

dham1974 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
dham1974 wrote:

Jabari Parker's weakness coming into the NBA was lack of athleticism, lack of ability to get into the paint, below the rim play - which he proved all of that wrong (he's probably one of the most dynamic finishers in the NBA), essentially he mitigated most of his offensive weaknesses already.

The thing you're harping on...is one of the things that Parker proved he could already do. Parker could shoot in college and HS, and just doesn't take shots in the NBA out of coaching design.

How is projecting Parker to be a 3 point shooter, which is what people already know he can do, the same as giving Parker benefit of the doubt while giving Ingram none?

Also, it is way easier to project the type of player Parker will become than Ingram because Parker is not nearly as raw as Ingram (nor was Parker as raw as Ingram when Parker was in college).

On top of that, Parker was a better player in college than Ingram was...
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#368 » by saintEscaton » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:01 am

I think Ingram has a higher ceiling than Tayshaun Prince, he should be lethal in catch and shoot situation immediately due to his compact mechanics, quick gather and high release point. Although I don't know if he has NBA 3 range yet , he was usually towing the line and didn't hit many from deep. His awkward gait/ lack of lateral agility will hamper him. If his frame can support enough weight to absorb contact without sacrificing burst and he can learn to creatively finish off of one foot that will mitigate some concerns.
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#369 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:11 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
dham1974 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Jabari Parker's weakness coming into the NBA was lack of athleticism, lack of ability to get into the paint, below the rim play - which he proved all of that wrong (he's probably one of the most dynamic finishers in the NBA), essentially he mitigated most of his offensive weaknesses already.

The thing you're harping on...is one of the things that Parker proved he could already do. Parker could shoot in college and HS, and just doesn't take shots in the NBA out of coaching design.

How is projecting Parker to be a 3 point shooter, which is what people already know he can do, the same as giving Parker benefit of the doubt while giving Ingram none?

Also, it is way easier to project the type of player Parker will become than Ingram because Parker is not nearly as raw as Ingram (nor was Parker as raw as Ingram when Parker was in college).

Exactly! Thank you!
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#370 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:17 am

Milbuck wrote:Jabari was literally instructed by Kidd not to shoot 3s for most of this year. We can still consider it a question mark, but we gotta factor in context. Watching almost all Bucks games this year I have zero concern about Jabari's jumpshot/range. I have no doubts he will be a very good shooter.

And I believe that was a very smart move by Kidd to instruct him to stay away from the 3 point shot. This basically forced Jabari to work on other parts of his game. One major problem he had towards the end of his year at Duke was he kinda fell in love with step back 18 footers and the 3. Jabari really improved throughout the year his movement off the ball (moved pretty bad off the ball at Duke) and by the end of the year he was putting up 19 a game on 50% shooting without really using his jumper. I think next year his 3pt % is going to be around 33-34 on maybe 1.5 attemps a game. But I think by the time hes 24 he will be around 37-38% from deep. Again this dude was known for his jumper in high school, his mechanics are really good as well
dham1974
Assistant Coach

Post#371 » by dham1974 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:59 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
dham1974 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

There's probably a good reason kid doesn't want him shooting 3s my guess is because he's not good at it. 25% or whatever he shot ain't going to cut it. You would think he would have a good % since he took so little but he doesn't. I'm not harping on anything I'm pointing out where Ingram is better than him. Passing shooting and defense. You can make up your own projections but it doesn't make it true.

HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#372 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:06 am

dham1974 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
dham1974 wrote:

There's probably a good reason kid doesn't want him shooting 3s my guess is because he's not good at it. 25% or whatever he shot ain't going to cut it. You would think he would have a good % since he took so little but he doesn't. I'm not harping on anything I'm pointing out where Ingram is better than him. Passing shooting and defense. You can make up your own projections but it doesn't make it true.

Giannis cannot pass, because Kidd told him not to play point guard. There's probably a good reason Kidd doesn't want Giannis playmaking. That's similar rationale to what you're using.

Jabari is designed to be a cutter and finisher on the Bucks, he never had plays even called up for him - as for why Kidd does this, who knows, probably for development. Kidd is an unorthodox coach on top of being an inexperienced one.

Also, I think Parker's value is going to come from mid range game.
dham1974
Assistant Coach

Post#373 » by dham1974 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:14 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
dham1974 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

Giannis cannot pass, because Kidd told him not to play point guard. There's probably a good reason Kidd doesn't want Giannis playmaking. That's similar rationale to what you're using..

Huh? Wtf yea ignore the low % and design whatever angle fits your argument lol I'm done debating this comparable offensive player with way better defense how is that not better? Anyway like who you like and I'll do the same

Return to NBA Draft