Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,496

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1101 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:41 am

troy brown with a 12/10/5 stat line. he's gonna be special imo

he may not be a "sleeper" but i don't see any threads about him or anyone talking about him so i guess i'll post about him here lol
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,072

Re: RE: Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1102 » by Wizop » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:57 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:Is Jalen Brunson the next Kyle Lowry/ Jameer Nelson?

Lol no.
are you saying no because you don't think he's worth drafting or because you don't like the comparisons? I like him a lot but don't see him going high. How about next Bragdon - a 2nd round point guard who will contribute as a rookie?

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#1103 » by doordoor123 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:37 pm

Wizop wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:Is Jalen Brunson the next Kyle Lowry/ Jameer Nelson?

Lol no.
are you saying no because you don't think he's worth drafting or because you don't like the comparisons? I like him a lot but don't see him going high. How about next Bragdon - a 2nd round point guard who will contribute as a rookie?

Kyle Lowry is a much better defender and he’s quicker. Brunson doesn’t have the speed or defense/size to be a starter in the NBA. He can shoot though and he’s a pretty good passer. He also just doesn’t have upside. He is what he is. I could see him has a middle second round pick as a back up, but I’m concerned he won’t make it on the floor in his NBA Career because he he isn’t a defender and he’s slow. Look at Jose Calderon, who also is a good passer, can shoot and is slow. He’s only starting now because his team is injured and he can shoot next to LeBron. If not for that (and his experience) he would be out of the league. But I see Brunson as a third string PG and maybe he carves a role for himself if he can shoot it consistently and make the most of his opportunities.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#1104 » by Wizop » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:47 pm

if Brunson can be as good as Calderon, he's worth a second round pick and maybe a low first.

doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#1105 » by doordoor123 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Wizop wrote:if Brunson can be as good as Calderon, he's worth a second round pick and maybe a low first.

As good as Calderon is right now, not in Calderon’s prime. Calderon was in the NBA before the game sped up. In the draft where Shabazz Napier was a late first, yeah he would be a late first, but last year and this year are deep in terms of young players and players that can contribute more. I would be super super surprised if Brunson was even an early second. Guys like Landry Shamet, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, DeVonte Graham, Tony Carr, JeVonte Carter, Keenan Evans, Andrew Jones and maybe even Shake Milton have a chance to go ahead of him. Shamet has starter upside, Gilgeous-Alexander has size, defense and upside, Graham has speed, big off-the-dribble ability, and quick hands, Carr has starter upside, Carter has elite defense, Evans has NBA speed and athleticism, Jones has high-end upside and Shake Milton has size.

Personally not a fan of Brunson, but he has a fan base. To me he’s a good college player, but he doesn’t have much of an NBA role.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#1106 » by Wizop » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:37 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Personally not a fan of Brunson, but he has a fan base. To me he’s a good college player, but he doesn’t have much of an NBA role.

I take your point. There have been many point guards in recent years who failed to transition to the nba. It's long been true that point guards take time with many spending time overseas or in minor leagues before blossoming but that time may be over.

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#1107 » by The-Power » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:43 am

Kenny Wooten from Oregon looked like the next Jordan Bell over the past three games. Got his hands on everything against Fresno State. BLK% of 17.9, 8.6 BLK per 100 at 6'9''.
Mario_Kasun
Sophomore
And1: 152

Post#1108 » by Mario_Kasun » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:08 am

I really like Victor Sanders @ Idaho. Flying way under the radar. Probably wont get drafted but the dude can really put in the hoop
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#1109 » by No-Man » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:25 pm

Not sure how real he is but Ajdin Penava numbers are insane
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#1110 » by doordoor123 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:13 pm

Fischella wrote:Not sure how real he is but Ajdin Penava numbers are insane

I don’t watch Marshall games, but this guy looks really good from the clips I’ve seen. Not quick, but fluid, has great vision and could see him running the P&R at the next level. He has a strong body, can shoot, etc. His lack of hops might make him a little worse of a defender in the NBA, but this is a great find.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#1111 » by SlowPaced » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Penava looks very intriguing in the videos of him that are available. Puts the ball on the floor, shoots it well, blocks everything. Wonder what his wingspan is. He doesn't have much in the way of hops but gets 4.8 blocks per game, including three 9 block games.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#1112 » by GimmeDat » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:33 am

First look at Penava after seeing you guys mention him... what an intriguing prospect. He's a bit disappointing as an athlete but as you said door door, he's fluid.

Not quite sure what he is at the next level, but there's definitely NBA potential there.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#1113 » by The-Power » Wed Jan 3, 2018 2:20 am

I can see a role for Yante Maten in the NBA. He makes quick decisions on offense and obviously has knack for scoring and rebounding. He fits well into a motion-based offense where he can touch the ball around the elbows or at the top of the key and make plays from there.

On defense he has more potential than he's shown this season, imo. He appears to be holding back a little in order to avoid foul trouble given his clear alpha-status on this Georgia team but he moves well enough and has enough pedigree as a shot blocker for me to believe that he can ramp it up once he gets into the NBA as a role player.

Also relatively young for a Senior. I can see him being a valuable role player and a steal in the second round on the right team. This last caveat is important, however, as it is for most 2nd round picks with limited opportunities and flaws that will only make them valuable in the right role and environment.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#1114 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jan 3, 2018 2:42 am

The-Power wrote:I can see a role for Yante Maten in the NBA. He makes quick decisions on offense and obviously has knack for scoring and rebounding. He fits well into a motion-based offense where he can touch the ball around the elbows or at the top of the key and make plays from there.

On defense he has more potential than he's shown this season, imo. He appears to be holding back a little in order to avoid foul trouble given his clear alpha-status on this Georgia team but he moves well enough and has enough pedigree as a shot blocker for me to believe that he can ramp it up once he gets into the NBA as a role player.

Also relatively young for a Senior. I can see him being a valuable role player and a steal in the second round on the right team. This last caveat is important, however, as it is for most 2nd round picks with limited opportunities and flaws that will only make them valuable in the right role and environment.

He does look like an NBA player on offense, even though he’s not the quickest guy. He makes it up with his strength and passing ability. He has a slow release on his shot with short arms and he’s undersized. But in the NBA teams will kill his defense. He can’t defend against the P&R and unlike college, the NBA is full of it. His lateral movement is also pretty bad. I liked Georges Niang as well, but he couldn’t carve a role in the NBA, I don’t think Maten will be able to.
XxMisterFreakXx
Pro Prospect
And1: 295

Post#1115 » by XxMisterFreakXx » Wed Jan 3, 2018 9:55 pm

Collin Sexton from Alabama ATH and quick with 6’6.5 wingspan and a 8’0 standing reach no one really is talking about him much definitely a sleeper pick IMO.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#1116 » by The-Power » Wed Jan 3, 2018 10:13 pm

XxMisterFreakXx wrote:Collin Sexton from Alabama ATH and quick with 6’6.5 wingspan and a 8’0 standing reach no one really is talking about him much definitely a sleeper pick IMO.

Most people here seem to have him in the 7-12 range. Are you higher on him than that? I wouldn't say Collin Sexton is being slept on as everybody knows him quite well and almost everyone includes him in their mock drafts as a lottery player. Actually, he has been one of the most hyped prospects during the summer when he plenty of national attention and media coverage.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#1117 » by doordoor123 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 12:32 am

Jay Jay Chandler from Texas A&M is a super athletic PG. He’s a freshman that just started playing for A&M. He had a good game against Florida, but when I saw Texas A&M live about a month ago (before he was getting much minutes) this guys was jumping out of the building on warmup dunks. He looks like he can’t defend, but he has great burst and he’s really athletic. A name to watch next year and maybe someone that will get better through the year.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#1118 » by No-Man » Thu Jan 4, 2018 12:34 am

Chuma Okeke has really solid numbers for a frosh
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#1119 » by doordoor123 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 12:53 am

Dewan Huell is a first round pick. People are sleeping on him. He’s so quick, athletic and fluid for 6’11. Hes has some big games and has good free throw form (could mean potential in a jumper).
No-Man
RealGM

Post#1120 » by No-Man » Thu Jan 4, 2018 1:42 am

Cameron Johnson is a top30 guy to me

Return to NBA Draft