Potential sleepers

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

User avatar
Onus
General Manager
Posts: 8,141
And1: 1,329
Joined: May 12, 2008
Location: NOA

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1761 » by Onus » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:06 am

getrichordie wrote:I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks about Kristian Doolittle out of Oklahoma.

6'7" big 3&D wing (>230 lbs) who shot it well from mid-range and deep this year and put up some good defensive metrics. Struggled to finish at the rim as a higher-usage guy, but on lower usage last year, he finished >60% at the rim.

I really like what I'm seeing on film from him. Good size and solid athleticism and his touch really stands out to the point where you feel confident he's going to be able to get baskets at the next level.

Needs to tighten up his handle but he had stretches where he looked smooth and under control.


Seems like an undersized 4 more so than a wing. Seems like he should be drafted as his game is pretty polished as a senior. Just not sure if he has the athleticism to get by people which will relegate him to a lot of pull ups which he’s pretty good at but is hard to to stay efficient at.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 40,331
And1: 6,562
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1762 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:47 am

karkinos wrote:not gonna write too much about anthony cowan jr but if anyone pulls up his highlights, his dribbling, quickness, and arsenal of moves to get to the rim are eye candy.
not a great shooter but might be one of the underrated playmakers and passers of this draft. he's too good to go undrafted imo. maryland's team was highly successful despite his not so great shooting percentages.

Terp fan here - he's way too streaky a shooter in a bad way. He did do a nice job of adding some muscle for his senior year, but still has trouble finishing against bigger/stronger players. Not a dynamic passer for a PG - he's looking for his shot. He's fast and quick enough to get by his man, but then has trouble finishing. He can be effective with his speed at times, but I just don't see him being quite good enough for the NBA.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
atlantabbq99
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,801
And1: 1,244
Joined: Mar 28, 2013

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1763 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:00 pm

Jalen Smith - A mid to late first round pick that could end up being an all-star. Lanky elite defensive big, super athletic with an above average 3pt shot and free throw shooter. Poor man's Anthony Davis.

Markus Howard - Undersize PG who will go in the 2nd round but will probably have a 10 year career and become a fan favorite. Great shooter, high volume scorer, will probably get a couple of 6th man of the year considerations. All his comparisons to Isiah Thomas are legit.
BlazersBroncos
Analyst
Posts: 3,032
And1: 2,130
Joined: Oct 27, 2016

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1764 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:17 pm

Ya, I see Jalen Smith as a late lotto talent rather than some mid 20's guy. He is a 21st century PJ Brown.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 11,675
And1: 2,924
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1765 » by Stillwater » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:56 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Ya, I see Jalen Smith as a late lotto talent rather than some mid 20's guy. He is a 21st century PJ Brown.

he really is a stretch 4 imo not a longterm 5. But for that to become lottery worthy he needs to get a lot better mentally defensively though to earn real minutes.His mid range defense is terrible.
I can see him having some success at the 5 early on just with good rim protection/hops and rim running along with a the bonus shooting range. But in the end think a stretch 4 role is more reasonable with improved defense esp if he strugles to add center mass.
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 8,221
And1: 1,729
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1766 » by getrichordie » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:35 pm

Stillwater wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:Ya, I see Jalen Smith as a late lotto talent rather than some mid 20's guy. He is a 21st century PJ Brown.

he really is a stretch 4 imo not a longterm 5. But for that to become lottery worthy he needs to get a lot better mentally defensively though to earn real minutes.His mid range defense is terrible.
I can see him having some success at the 5 early on just with good rim protection/hops and rim running along with a the bonus shooting range. But in the end think a stretch 4 role is more reasonable with improved defense esp if he strugles to add center mass.


This is the reason he will fall. Some teams see him as a tweener. Not strong enough in legs to be effective against most NBA bigs down low. Not good enough defensively to be a 4.
#yeezy4prezzy

:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 11,675
And1: 2,924
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1767 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:51 am

getrichordie wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:Ya, I see Jalen Smith as a late lotto talent rather than some mid 20's guy. He is a 21st century PJ Brown.

he really is a stretch 4 imo not a longterm 5. But for that to become lottery worthy he needs to get a lot better mentally defensively though to earn real minutes.His mid range defense is terrible.
I can see him having some success at the 5 early on just with good rim protection/hops and rim running along with a the bonus shooting range. But in the end think a stretch 4 role is more reasonable with improved defense esp if he strugles to add center mass.


This is the reason he will fall. Some teams see him as a tweener. Not strong enough in legs to be effective against most NBA bigs down low. Not good enough defensively to be a 4.

Yep whomever takes him either bets on his defensive upside as a 4 a little earlier or he goes later to orgs only seeing a stretch 5 rim protector
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
atlantabbq99
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,801
And1: 1,244
Joined: Mar 28, 2013

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1768 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:48 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:Ya, I see Jalen Smith as a late lotto talent rather than some mid 20's guy. He is a 21st century PJ Brown.


PJ could be a floor for Jalen. I see him alot better as a solid #2 on a good team like Sonics' Shawn Kemp or Hawks' Dan Roundfield
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 11,675
And1: 2,924
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1769 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:09 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:Ya, I see Jalen Smith as a late lotto talent rather than some mid 20's guy. He is a 21st century PJ Brown.


PJ could be a floor for Jalen. I see him alot better as a solid #2 on a good team like Sonics' Shawn Kemp or Hawks' Dan Roundfield

wow thats a high bar there. I like him as a prospect but Rainman? idk about that
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
atlantabbq99
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,801
And1: 1,244
Joined: Mar 28, 2013

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1770 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:50 pm

Stillwater wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:Ya, I see Jalen Smith as a late lotto talent rather than some mid 20's guy. He is a 21st century PJ Brown.


PJ could be a floor for Jalen. I see him alot better as a solid #2 on a good team like Sonics' Shawn Kemp or Hawks' Dan Roundfield

wow thats a high bar there. I like him as a prospect but Rainman? idk about that


Both Kemp and Roundfield were late first round picks, but ended up being elite defensive all stars but could give you 18 point per night. Jalen is lanky, athletic defender with an above average jumpshot, and is projected to be a mid to late first round pick as well.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 11,675
And1: 2,924
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1771 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:35 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:
PJ could be a floor for Jalen. I see him alot better as a solid #2 on a good team like Sonics' Shawn Kemp or Hawks' Dan Roundfield

wow thats a high bar there. I like him as a prospect but Rainman? idk about that


Both Kemp and Roundfield were late first round picks, but ended up being elite defensive all stars but could give you 18 point per night. Jalen is lanky, athletic defender with an above average jumpshot, and is projected to be a mid to late first round pick as well.

I wasn't talking draft value, but more so type of prospect. Smith if he reaches his ceiling could be a high level stretch 4.
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
karkinos
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,685
And1: 1,706
Joined: Nov 06, 2009

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1772 » by karkinos » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:36 pm

Ruzious wrote:
karkinos wrote:not gonna write too much about anthony cowan jr but if anyone pulls up his highlights, his dribbling, quickness, and arsenal of moves to get to the rim are eye candy.
not a great shooter but might be one of the underrated playmakers and passers of this draft. he's too good to go undrafted imo. maryland's team was highly successful despite his not so great shooting percentages.

Terp fan here - he's way too streaky a shooter in a bad way. He did do a nice job of adding some muscle for his senior year, but still has trouble finishing against bigger/stronger players. Not a dynamic passer for a PG - he's looking for his shot. He's fast and quick enough to get by his man, but then has trouble finishing. He can be effective with his speed at times, but I just don't see him being quite good enough for the NBA.

i think it's ok that he is shot first, pass second type of guard. that's what today's modern nba is looking for.
lack of consistency with shooting is a common theme in pretty much every draft, so that never turns me away entirely from a player. i like to be optimistic so despite the small chances, 2nd round pick on him is fairly reasonable.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,439
And1: 1,114
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1773 » by doordoor123 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 8:55 pm

Grant Riller looks like a beast. He has the ball on a string. He’s a pretty bad defender, but his offensive game is great. I think when he has an NBA-level coach his issues will get better. He has a lot of bad IQ things. I would be surprised if he’s drafted before the late 2nd just because I think he’ll spend a lot of time in the G-league.
Catchall
RealGM
Posts: 11,017
And1: 4,543
Joined: Jul 06, 2008
     

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1774 » by Catchall » Sat Jul 4, 2020 1:40 am

Deep sleepers: Mane, Kispert, Diane
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
Posts: 12,215
And1: 3,362
Joined: Mar 11, 2010

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1775 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:08 am

OK, now that GROD is taking away my current 2nd round target I will try and look at some other guys.

One that sticks out is Ayayi, who doesn't seem to be talked about very much (cant find a prospect thread). Looks like he has NBA caliber tools with good length and athleticism, still pretty young and some good advanced stats. Probably wont be a great 3 point shooter but is at least passable enough to be a threat (82 FT% gives hope of improvement maybe) and seems to be a decent finisher. Pretty decent A/T ratio for a combo guard and a great rebounder for the position.

I cant find a thread, is there a major flaw or something I am missing that keeps him from being in discussion? Sounds like he is putting himself into the draft but is a maybe to return. Honestly on paper and from a cursory glace at some highlight videos he looks like he maybe should be pushing first round territory...?
User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 8,221
And1: 1,729
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1776 » by getrichordie » Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:29 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:OK, now that GROD is taking away my current 2nd round target I will try and look at some other guys.

One that sticks out is Ayayi, who doesn't seem to be talked about very much (cant find a prospect thread). Looks like he has NBA caliber tools with good length and athleticism, still pretty young and some good advanced stats. Probably wont be a great 3 point shooter but is at least passable enough to be a threat (82 FT% gives hope of improvement maybe) and seems to be a decent finisher. Pretty decent A/T ratio for a combo guard and a great rebounder for the position.

I cant find a thread, is there a major flaw or something I am missing that keeps him from being in discussion? Sounds like he is putting himself into the draft but is a maybe to return. Honestly on paper and from a cursory glace at some highlight videos he looks like he maybe should be pushing first round territory...?


Great minds think alike :wink:

Ayayi gets knocked for being a "caretaker" PG and doesn't get talked about much because many assume he is returning for some reason (not sure why). I also think he doesn't show a lot of flash and doesn't do a lot of things that make people go "ooooh! ahhhh!" so I think that hurts his realgm/twitter stock a good bit as well.

He plays a lot more like a shooting guard, IMO, but he has shown stretches of knocking down 3s with consistency and can really attack and finish at the rim well due to his toolset. He needs to get a little bigger (180 lbs.) but I think he can.

I think his defense is fairly good and will get better as he gets stronger.

I have him in the 35-45 range.
#yeezy4prezzy

:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD

Return to NBA Draft