Potential sleepers

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: RE: Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#681 » by sipclip » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:13 am

GimmeDat wrote:Jonah Bolden had 7/7 three's the other day, seems like leaving UCLA was the right move for him -

I just took a look at his highlight videos and I am loving what I have seen. He looks like a 1st Rd pick to me and I would love to have the jazz snag him with one of their picks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#682 » by GimmeDat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:36 am

sipclip wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:Jonah Bolden had 7/7 three's the other day, seems like leaving UCLA was the right move for him -

I just took a look at his highlight videos and I am loving what I have seen. He looks like a 1st Rd pick to me and I would love to have the jazz snag him with one of their picks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app

I probably sound like a biased Australian here, but I loved what I saw from him as a junior. He's a really multi-skilled guy. He had a disappointing run at UCLA but he's really playing freely for Radnicki.

If you check his game logs on DX he's really improved as the season has gone along. His role has increased through time and his shooting in particular keeps improving by the looks of it. Athletic, mobile, versatile defender, can distribute/handle a bit (though looks like he's been turning the ball over a fair bit lately - natural growing pain through an expanded role though, I guess).

Dunno if I'd take him in the 1st, he's already 21, but I think the 30-50 is fair.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#683 » by reanimator » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:34 pm

Wagner's footwork in the post is for real. Couple that with his ability to shoots 3s and attack perimeter close outs and he has 1st round potential as a rotational offensive small ball 4. Fluid athlete with some bounce and showing potential as a post defender with quick hands and solid rotations but a little too weak right now.

DJ Wilson reminds me of Jared Jefferies. Needs to toughen up but he has the tools and skill.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#684 » by No-Man » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:47 pm

reanimator wrote:Wagner's footwork in the post is for real. Couple that with his ability to shoots 3s and attack perimeter close outs and he has 1st round potential as a rotational offensive small ball 4. Fluid athlete with some bounce and showing potential as a post defender with quick hands and solid rotations but a little too weak right now.

DJ Wilson reminds me of Jared Jefferies. Needs to toughen up but he has the tools and skill.

That one with Jeffries is good.

Wagner can't defend anybody, he couldnt stop Mahmoud when he went hard with the shoulder down and Mahmoud is like 215lbs, he just isnt physical enough, he has the kind of talent to be a versatile big, although he is handle is a bit loose I'd say, but doubt he ever gets the defense up to speed to be good enough to start, he is more of a smallball C if anything.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#685 » by reanimator » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:56 pm

Fischella wrote:
reanimator wrote:Wagner's footwork in the post is for real. Couple that with his ability to shoots 3s and attack perimeter close outs and he has 1st round potential as a rotational offensive small ball 4. Fluid athlete with some bounce and showing potential as a post defender with quick hands and solid rotations but a little too weak right now.

Wagner can't defend anybody, he couldnt stop Mahmoud when he went hard with the shoulder down and Mahmoud is like 215lbs, he just isnt physical enough, he has the kind of talent to be a versatile big, although he is handle is a bit loose I'd say, but doubt he ever gets the defense up to speed to be good enough to start, he is more of a smallball C if anything.

Yeah, he is definitely a guy you bring off the bench for some offense
twosevenstreet
Senior
And1: 168

Post#686 » by twosevenstreet » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:02 pm

tester551 wrote:Don't know if he qualifies as a 'sleeper', but Josh Hart is projected to be a late 1st/early 2nd. I think he has a good chance of being a top 10 player from this draft.

What have others seen in his game.

Hart is the prototypical Senior who goes later due to not having much potential but turns out to be a good contributor. His complete game reminds me of a young Shane Battier

Sent from my LG-H811 using RealGM mobile app
Spread Em and Dead em.
-Sad DLO is gone
-Allen will become LobCity DJ
-Kyrie will be top 3 for MVP if we get to 50+ wins, he will average 27ppg, 7apg, shooting 50-40-90
twosevenstreet
Senior
And1: 168

Post#687 » by twosevenstreet » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:26 pm

shawn_hemp wrote:Every year the same people say "Gonzaga is for real this time" and every year it turns out they aren't for real

I'm not saying that can't change this year, but they do have a pretty easy schedule

Yet the Zags consistently make the sweet 16. They are good program that would make the tournament from any conference

Sent from my LG-H811 using RealGM mobile app
Spread Em and Dead em.
-Sad DLO is gone
-Allen will become LobCity DJ
-Kyrie will be top 3 for MVP if we get to 50+ wins, he will average 27ppg, 7apg, shooting 50-40-90
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#688 » by doordoor123 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:24 am

Is Mike Daum here yet? He looks pretty good.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#689 » by doordoor123 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:32 am

Fischella wrote:

He's 19... He MUST be able to defend with the way he is able to move. I think it's just that he doesn't know what he's doing on defense. He's really really quick for his size and his potential is super high for that.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,685

Post#690 » by BoyzNTheHood » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:12 am

Any info on Reggie Upshaw from Middle Tennessee State? He seems to fit the mold of a sleeper. 6'8" 230 small forward with the clutch gene who has been the main factor in a Cinderella taking out Michigan State last year and Minnesota this year.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#691 » by Ell Curry » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:42 am

Wagner's not awful defensively. He's improved a fair bit and Michigan asks him to get out 25 feet from the basket and trap pick and rolls and he's not awful. Effort is definitely there. Not a good rebounder. For example, Channing Frye was grabbing 2-3 more boards per game in the same amount of time. So, if you can play with him a big who can grab a lot of boards and move his feet, even if he can't shoot, he could be a nice fit.

Offensively, he can shoot but also attack closeouts with a great handle and easy spin moves. Really advanced for a big at any age. So, I do think he'll be able to make plays when bigs run out to run him off the 3 point line.

I think eventually the good O bad D 5s who were starters but are now 3rd bigs will mostly not be Enes Kanter or Al Jefferson types but will be shooting bigs who provide spacing as well as those skills, or they just won't get on the court. Wagner and Markannen could fall more into that category.
Where's the D?
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,102

Post#692 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:07 pm

Anyone else like Jawun Evans out of Oklahoma State?
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,045

Post#693 » by The-Power » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:43 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:Anyone else like Jawun Evans out of Oklahoma State?

How high are you on him? I'd guess most people here like him for a late first/early second. Intriguing player as someone who can run a team with the second unit.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#694 » by bondom34 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:47 pm

I haven't seen much on him but anyone know much about Mikal Bridges? I've not done a ton of studying the draft that far down but now see a couple mocks have him as a first round prospect. He kind of intrigues me for the Thunder.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#695 » by RipCity71252 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:30 pm

bondom34 wrote:I haven't seen much on him but anyone know much about Mikal Bridges? I've not done a ton of studying the draft that far down but now see a couple mocks have him as a first round prospect. He kind of intrigues me for the Thunder.

Tough to see him coming out at this point but if he does, he's probably a late first type guy. I'm not totally sold on his defensive potential (he's weak, doesn't look great getting through screen, and isn't an elite quick-twitch athlete) but his disruptive length and competitiveness should make him above average in time, especially if he can guard 1's and 3's (I have some questions about that right now though).

Offensively there's some things to like, but I think it's hard to envision him being more than an efficient 13-16% usage player in the NBA, as primarily a spot 3 shooter + cut/transition finisher.

Some think he might breakout offensively if he does come back with Hart and Jenkins gone, but I'm not sure that happens. I see Brunson and Divincenzo as being the alpha's with maybe even Paschall ahead of him on the offensive totem pole.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#696 » by RipCity71252 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:34 pm

I think he has low end starting pg upside and in this draft that's worth a look in the top 20. Hell, the Bulls should probably look at him at back end of the lottery.

Defensively he's going to be undersized, but he has good quick feet, competes and a strong Chris Paul like frame that makes you think he should have a chance to be ok holding his position on switches.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,102

Post#697 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:50 pm

The-Power wrote:

How high are you on him? I'd guess most people here like him for a late first/early second. Intriguing player as someone who can run a team with the second unit.

I feel like I'd rather draft him in the late 1st/early 2nd over drafting guys like Dennis Smith Jr. or De'Aaron Fox at the top of round 1. I'm not saying that he's got more potential than those two, but I think we tend to undervalue players with higher skill level without outstanding physical attributes. I think he's quick, he's got a great handle and vision, he can shoot the ball from outside. He's not projected to be a great defender, but assuming Smith Jr will be is still a leap from what he's displayed at NC State. Fox will likely be a good defender, but his shot worries me. I've seen him get Wall comps, but he seems more like Elfrid Payton.

I think Evans will be a very good back up, with potential to become a starter.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,045

Post#698 » by The-Power » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:00 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
The-Power wrote:

I feel like I'd rather draft him in the late 1st/early 2nd over drafting guys like Dennis Smith Jr. or De'Aaron Fox at the top of round 1. I'm not saying that he's got more potential than those two, but I think we tend to undervalue players with higher skill level without outstanding physical attributes.

Since I'm a doubter of DSJ and Fox myself - relative to the average poster on this board that is - I tend to agree with you here.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#699 » by GimmeDat » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:49 am

RipCity71252 wrote:

I think he has low end starting pg upside and in this draft that's worth a look in the top 20. Hell, the Bulls should probably look at him at back end of the lottery.

Defensively he's going to be undersized, but he has good quick feet, competes and a strong Chris Paul like frame that makes you think he should have a chance to be ok holding his position on switches.

Man, we have so many average PG's already, part of me would like to strangle the Bulls FO if they drafted another one. From a BPA standpoint though, I'm praying Evans falls to our Kings pick, which should be high 30's.

We saw undersized PG's with clear ability in Felder and Ulis fall last year despite being mocked in the 1st round at times last year. Now obviously Evans isn't nearly as undersized as those two, but it might suggest he gets shut out of the 1st round a bit. In reality I think he should go in the 20's though.
Derento
Junior
And1: 114

Post#700 » by Derento » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:49 pm

Peter Jok is a sleeper pick for me.
Great shooter off the catch and dribble.
Great free throw shooter.
Has a decent handle.
Long and has solid size.

Return to NBA Draft