Potential sleepers

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#81 » by No-Man » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:11 pm

Kelly has a much bigger frame and is longer, he can sort of defend bigs 1on1, and is a more fluid player.
Bonner is stronger than this kid too, and a more physical player.

I dont see it, he should follow his dad's path and play in Europe where he can make money and have a really good career.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#82 » by 165bows » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:02 pm

Fischella wrote:
SlowPaced wrote:Thoughts on Kyle Wiltjer? He's been on a scoring rampage lately, 30, 32, 35 and 25 in his last four games. Can he be anything more than a Ryan Kelly at the next level?

he is going to end up in Europe, really weak physically, plus stiff, he can barely move.
Uthoff is more interesting for example.

What do you think about Uthoff's potential? Seem like a solid second round choice, and what's a fair comp, Singler?
No-Man
RealGM

Post#83 » by No-Man » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:11 pm

He is stronger than Wiltjer, a better athlete, longer also, I like him, dunno how well he will translate but he is intriguing, Singler was a bit bigger and had a more versatile game, but Uthoff seems to project as a better defender.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#84 » by Gomes3PC » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:14 pm

Uthoff is a significantly better defender, stronger base to play in the post, and has some real post moves. Just as good a shooter.

Kind of like him as a bit of a Ryan Anderson type.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#85 » by SlowPaced » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:36 pm

Fischella wrote:He is stronger than Wiltjer, a better athlete, longer also, I like him, dunno how well he will translate but he is intriguing, Singler was a bit bigger and had a more versatile game, but Uthoff seems to project as a better defender.

I don't understand why you're comparing Uthoff with Wiltjer. I didn't bring up Wiltjer to compare him with Uthoff.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#86 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:35 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Fischella wrote:Robert Carter Jr., another smallball C type, with range, mobility, and strength, not quite the passer but he plays smart.

He's definitely getting slept on at this point. If he measures at 6'9 (with shoes), he'll definitely be a first rounder. He's in much better shape after sitting out last season. he reminds me of a shorter Mark West. Real good all-around player, and the passing skills have arrived. Real safe pick - much as Bobby Portis was a safe value pick.

I'm surprised Draftexpress still doesn't even have him as a 2nd rounder. He's so steady, and consistency is a great trait to have in the NBA. He's on a team that might have its entire starting 5 in the NBA next season, and he could end up as their top scorer and rebounder. David West is the best comp I can think of for him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#87 » by Johnlac1 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:45 pm

165bows wrote:
Fischella wrote:
SlowPaced wrote:Thoughts on Kyle Wiltjer? He's been on a scoring rampage lately, 30, 32, 35 and 25 in his last four games. Can he be anything more than a Ryan Kelly at the next level?

he is going to end up in Europe, really weak physically, plus stiff, he can barely move.
Uthoff is more interesting for example.

What do you think about Uthoff's potential? Seem like a solid second round choice, and what's a fair comp, Singler?

After watching him for three years he's definitely a better prospect than Singler. Longer and much better def prospect. Deceptive athleticism. Looks a little ungainly, but can put the ball on the floor and dribble drive past players. Good leaper. Better rebounder....blocks shots away from the basket. Easily shoots NBA-distance threes plus a better scorer inside. Could probably play three and four although a little thin for four.
And for what it's worth, if he had stayed with Wisconsin, we might have had consecutive NCAA titles. Them's the breaks.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,731

Post#88 » by BoyzNTheHood » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:45 am

Ruzious wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Fischella wrote:Robert Carter Jr., another smallball C type, with range, mobility, and strength, not quite the passer but he plays smart.

He's definitely getting slept on at this point. If he measures at 6'9 (with shoes), he'll definitely be a first rounder. He's in much better shape after sitting out last season. he reminds me of a shorter Mark West. Real good all-around player, and the passing skills have arrived. Real safe pick - much as Bobby Portis was a safe value pick.

I'm surprised Draftexpress still doesn't even have him as a 2nd rounder. He's so steady, and consistency is a great trait to have in the NBA. He's on a team that might have its entire starting 5 in the NBA next season, and he could end up as their top scorer and rebounder. David West is the best comp I can think of for him.

They do. They have him at 44 in 2017.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
ChrisTheFuturePaul
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#89 » by ChrisTheFuturePaul » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:46 am

Gary Payton II? Tenacious sounding dude, could be be an Avery Bradley type?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#90 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:19 am

ChrisTheFuturePaul wrote:Gary Payton II? Tenacious sounding dude, could be be an Avery Bradley type?

Gary Payton II might be the best point guard in the draft. I like him better than Dunn atm and I LOVE Dunn. He just reminds me of a player that gets overlooked for his age and team. He's quick, athletic, strong, can pass, stealing machine, physical defender, big hands. He could even become a better shooter. Whoever gets him is going to be lucky. I love his attitude too.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#91 » by No-Man » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:42 am

doordoor123 wrote:
ChrisTheFuturePaul wrote:Gary Payton II? Tenacious sounding dude, could be be an Avery Bradley type?

Gary Payton II might be the best point guard in the draft. I like him better than Dunn atm and I LOVE Dunn. He just reminds me of a player that gets overlooked for his age and team. He's quick, athletic, strong, can pass, stealing machine, physical defender, big hands. He could even become a better shooter. Whoever gets him is going to be lucky. I love his attitude too.

Payton is 24 and he is not a PG at all, he is a combo and he cant shoot it and is really shaky as a playmaker.
Reminds me of Markel Brown.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#92 » by No-Man » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:31 am

Of my original list some have lowered their level of play in conference games, especially Swanigan and Lawson, others look like 2 years prospect giving the college they are at Davis, Chriss, Lydon, Edwards, Kornet, and basically only Hernangomez is up there, although after DX has officially jumped on the bandwagon he is not a sleeper anymore.

Ben Bentil, Paris Bass and Keita Bates-Diop are more names to consider.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:12 pm

Fischella wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Payton is 24 and he is not a PG at all, he is a combo and he cant shoot it and is really shaky as a playmaker.
Reminds me of Markel Brown.

He can become a better shooter and I don't think their team is well coached (can be a better PG). He's a much better defender than Brown and I think both shooting and playmaking are trivial in terms of prospects (unless they're REALLY bad). He has the speed to pressure offenses and he escapes guys off-ball pretty well. He's a combo, but he's a guy that is really underrated only for his age and team (like Curry).
Im actually looking for an article I read last year about how the "safe" picks or the picks that are overlooked are usually the guys that are not elite athletes. Guys like Curry and Thompson. In the article Bobby Portis was mentioned and Bobby Portis looks pretty good right about now. I've been trying to look for those overlooked players and I think Payton is it.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#94 » by TKainZero » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:40 pm

Isaac Hamilton from UCLA
3&D SG

For a 2nd rounder potential 3&D guy, you cannot go wrong.
Not high end, 2nd round or undrafted FA guy.

Not a star or anything.
Just a dude that will ball out, and can hit the 3, and play some Defense.

Sometimes you want to swing for the fences with draft picks, sometimes you just grab a guy that wont hurt you.
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Gomes3PC
General Manager

Post#95 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:45 pm

Moses Kingsley - this year's Jordan Mickey, who is dominating the NBDL and crushed it during Summer League. 6-9 with a 7-2 wingspan, averaging 16.5/9.7 on 55% FG% and averaging 3.8 blocks+steals per game. 30.3 PER is among the best in high-major hoops. Bouncy, consensus top-50 recruit and coming from Nigeria, he's still fairly new to basketball.

All signs point to a guy who I think will be a really nice bench big but isn't even on draft boards right now.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#96 » by Dame Lizard » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:37 am

One of my favourites AJ Hammons put up 32 points, 11 rebounds, 4 blocks, 5 assists in 29 minutes today, on 14/17 FG and 4/4 FT.

One of the great things I've been saying about Hammons is that his age works to his advantage imo. People won't be drafting him in the Top 10, so there will be some playoff teams /aspiring playoff teams who could potentially draft him on a cheap 4 year contract whilst he'd be in a couple of his prime years. It worked wonders for GSW having Festus and Draymond on rookie deals during their championship last season, Hammons could provide a team with that same kind of value, whilst also having really good post-rookie contract NBA potential imo.
Gomes3PC
General Manager

Post#97 » by Gomes3PC » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:32 am

I have a hard time seeing Ainge pass on Hammons if he's there with the Mavs or Cs picks. Just checks so many boxes of what he likes in a big and what the current Celtic big man rotation lacks.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by doordoor123 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:22 pm

Marquese Chriss is a lottery pick. He has elite explosion and and elite verticallity. He also moves like a wing at 6'10 and is an excellent defender for someone that size. If he develops a shot he can be a legitimate star. I saw him live and he just has IT.
I also think Dejounte Murray is a legitimate pick in the first round. If he stays another year he has the chance to make a lottery leap. He's so quick for his size and will fit in much better in an NBA offense. His upside might be higher than a lot of the top guys this year.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#99 » by No-Man » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:23 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Marquese Chriss is a lottery pick. He has elite explosion and and elite verticallity. He also moves like a wing at 6'10 and is an excellent defender for someone that size. If he develops a shot he can be a legitimate star. I saw him live and he just has IT.
I also think Dejounte Murray is a legitimate pick in the first round. If he stays another year he has the chance to make a lottery leap. He's so quick for his size and will fit in much better in an NBA offense. His upside might be higher than a lot of the top guys this year.

He is not going to declare, neither of them are.
I am high on Chriss, not so much in Murray, he is just too chaotic and cant shoot.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by doordoor123 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:25 pm

Fischella wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:Marquese Chriss is a lottery pick. He has elite explosion and and elite verticallity. He also moves like a wing at 6'10 and is an excellent defender for someone that size. If he develops a shot he can be a legitimate star. I saw him live and he just has IT.

He is not going to declare, neither of them are.
I am high on Chriss, not so much in Murray, he is just too chaotic and cant shoot.

Murray has the physical ability to be a great player, but he needs another year and needs to develop. In terms of upside (not ready right away), I think he's a first round talent. Chriss just looks like he can be dominant one day.

Return to NBA Draft