Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#981 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:55 am

doordoor123 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
He doesn't have a high ceiling at all. His whole game is overrated. He's a career back up.

Ya, I totally disagree. His issues are with maturing his game and mentality, but the talent is easily R1.

There is no reason he cant become a less positional versitle version of Richaun Holmes (IE: He doesn't seem likely to have the ability to slide to C as often as Richaun does).

I would rather draft a guy that could potentially be a starter.

In R2? There are likely 2, maybe 3, guys that will be drafted in R2 and become eventual starters and that's optimistic b/c this draft is super deep IMO. From 2014 there is only Jokic and Clarkson (Who should be more of a 7/8th man). 2013 has zero R2 starters. 2012 has Draymond, Crowder & Middleton. Even if this draft is a elite R2 your still only looking at 3 starters at best.

There is because he's not nearly as athletic or as good of a shot blocker. He has a good first step and throws it down hard, but he isn't athletic and most of his blocks in college were below the ball. He won't be getting those same opportunities. He's also a one foot jumper. With two feet he barely gets over the rim. It's why he's better at recovery blocking than actually standing in the middle and blocking shots. He's a rim runner and pick and roll player that can't play center in the NBA.

Evan, do I really have to tell you you crossed a line there?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Gam
Bench Warmer
And1: 806

Post#982 » by Gam » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:09 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
He doesn't have a high ceiling at all. His whole game is overrated. He's a career back up.

Ya, I totally disagree. His issues are with maturing his game and mentality, but the talent is easily R1.

There is no reason he cant become a less positional versitle version of Richaun Holmes (IE: He doesn't seem likely to have the ability to slide to C as often as Richaun does).

I would rather draft a guy that could potentially be a starter.

In R2? There are likely 2, maybe 3, guys that will be drafted in R2 and become eventual starters and that's optimistic b/c this draft is super deep IMO. From 2014 there is only Jokic and Clarkson (Who should be more of a 7/8th man). 2013 has zero R2 starters. 2012 has Draymond, Crowder & Middleton. Even if this draft is a elite R2 your still only looking at 3 starters at best.

2016 2nd round draftee Malcolm Brogdon was a starter for a playoff team in his rookie season.
crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Post#983 » by crows2 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:04 am

Speaking of Brogdon, surely his success as a rookie gets someone like Josh Hart some looks at the end of the 1st round? He should be able to carve out a career as a good solid role player at the very least.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#984 » by 12footrim » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:32 pm

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Aleksandar-Vezenkov-6429/

Aleksandar Vezenkov

6-9 SF, just under 22 years old, with a 20 PER in 30 Euro League games. I'd be all over this guy in the 2nd round. He's not even being projected as a draft pick.

You don't just put up 20 PER's in the Spanish league and Euro leagues.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#985 » by No-Man » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:48 pm

12footrim wrote:http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Aleksandar-Vezenkov-6429/

Aleksandar Vezenkov

6-9 SF, just under 22 years old, with a 20 PER in 30 Euro League games. I'd be all over this guy in the 2nd round. He's not even being projected as a draft pick.

lol at SF

I'd draft Sasha just because he is really good as a spot up shooter, but man he barely passes the athletic threshold if he passes it at all
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#986 » by 12footrim » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:27 pm

Fischella wrote:

Aleksandar Vezenkov

lol at SF

I'd draft Sasha just because he is really good as a spot up shooter, but man he barely passes the athletic threshold if he passes it at all

Either way he's 6-9, 225 and is highly productive 21 year old in the 2nd best league in the world. I believe there would be a place for him on my team as a 2nd rounder at worst.

There are a lot of players that play in the Euro league and aren't that productive. You can have all the athleticism in the world and if it doesn't translate to positives on the court who cares. It's not like the guy is undersized or old.

He shot 67.6% from 2 and 48% from 3 point in 30 games in the Euro league. Decent rebounding as well and good size.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#987 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Aleksandar Vezenkov

The only position he can play in a team is stretch four. Some of these mock draft sites get into ridiculousness with the positions they list for foreign players.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,529

Post#988 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:24 pm

I like Vezenkov as well. I think he has a good chance of being a rotation player even if it's just a spot up shooter
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#989 » by doordoor123 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:44 pm

Luke Nelson, the Brit that went to UC Irvine. He's 6'3, big, beautiful jumpshot (over 40% from 3), moves really well off-ball, pretty good defensive instincts. Interesting prospect.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#990 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:07 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Luke Nelson, the Brit that went to UC Irvine. He's 6'3, big, beautiful jumpshot (over 40% from 3), moves really well off-ball, pretty good defensive instincts. Interesting prospect.

I liked him quite a bit at the European Under-20 championship a few years back.
trevor2g
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#991 » by trevor2g » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:10 pm

My 3 potential sleepers are
- Jonah Bolden (UCLA/Australia)
- Sindarius Thornwell (South Carolina)
- Cam Oliver (Nevada)
CapnGreenGanja
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#992 » by CapnGreenGanja » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:27 am

There's a lot of players in this class I can see being potentially good. I think this class will be as good as the hype it's had so far. Ask for sleepers, even though I think he had a better chance of going first round last season. Ivan Rabb seems like he'll be a great roll player wherever you play him. You can pretty much mold him into anything your team needs between the the SF/PF position.

Also like Blossomgame and Swannigan.

Sent from my SM-G360V using RealGM mobile app
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#993 » by reanimator » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Keeping my eyes on Esa Ahmad, Quentin Goodin, Tyler Hall, Ky Bowman and Landry Shamet this year.

Also interested to see what Malik Newman and Derryck Thornton Jr do in bounce back years. Charles Matthews at Michigan is another guy who is seemingly in a setting/culture/system that should help him expand his game.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#994 » by Marcus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:35 pm

reanimator wrote:Keeping my eyes on Esa Ahmad, Quentin Goodin, Tyler Hall, Ky Bowman and Landry Shamet this year.

Also interested to see what Malik Newman and Derryck Thornton Jr do in bounce back years. Charles Matthews at Michigan is another guy who is seemingly in a setting/culture/system that should help him expand his game.

Yeah Newman I am excited about as he has a lot of things to like if you're scouting from the league. Will probably need to show more in the way of playmaking chops though without having ideal size for a shooting guard.

Thornton I always liked but he clearly needs to find himself a good fit.

I'm still a believer in Svi Mykhailiak as a good role player in the league with some 3&D potential when the confidence in his stroke is going. Call me crazy lol.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#995 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:07 pm

Most of us know about Maryland's version of long swing-forward Justin Jackson - as opposed to the Justin Jackson who played for UNC last season. But MD's got an even better prospect in Bruno Fernando. Very energetic player at 6'10, listed at 245 but probably closer to 235. He's a better prospect than Diamond Stone was, imo - mainly because he's in much better shape than Stone. He's got surprisingly good offensive skills - aggressive scorer and shows flashes as a passer, needs to get a little stronger on the boards and should do so, good shot-blocker, he's a little over-aggressive defensively - like most freshman bigs. I expect he'll stay another year in college, but if he's offered a 1st round guarantee, who knows? The best player from Angola.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#996 » by doordoor123 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Ruzious wrote:Most of us know about Maryland's version of long swing-forward Justin Jackson - as opposed to the Justin Jackson who played for UNC last season. But MD's got an even better prospect in Bruno Fernando. Very energetic player at 6'10, listed at 245 but probably closer to 235. He's a better prospect than Diamond Stone was, imo - mainly because he's in much better shape than Stone. He's got surprisingly good offensive skills - aggressive scorer and shows flashes as a passer, needs to get a little stronger on the boards and should do so, good shot-blocker, he's a little over-aggressive defensively - like most freshman bigs. I expect he'll stay another year in college, but if he's offered a 1st round guarantee, who knows? The best player from Angola.

I like Fernando, but I don’t think he’s a prospect this year. There are just too many centers in this draft. I DO really like Kevin Huerter though. I think he’s a prospect too. I have him in the top 12 of his position.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#997 » by No-Man » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Fernando seems like an okay back-up big, can he defend perimeter players at all? can he pass? I doubt the upside as a 1st round talent is there.

Been from Angola tho, he'd have an easy out since getting a contract in Europe is gonna be easy.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#998 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 pm

Fischella wrote:Fernando seems like an okay back-up big, can he defend perimeter players at all? can he pass? I doubt the upside as a 1st round talent is there.

Been from Angola tho, he'd have an easy out since getting a contract in Europe is gonna be easy.

Well, his future is as a center - not at PF in today's NBA, and he's shown good shot-blocking ability. And yes, he's made a few outstanding passes. I think the upside is there, but he needs more development at both ends. We'll have to see as the schedule gets more difficult - especially in the physical Big Ten.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#999 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:08 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Most of us know about Maryland's version of long swing-forward Justin Jackson - as opposed to the Justin Jackson who played for UNC last season. But MD's got an even better prospect in Bruno Fernando. Very energetic player at 6'10, listed at 245 but probably closer to 235. He's a better prospect than Diamond Stone was, imo - mainly because he's in much better shape than Stone. He's got surprisingly good offensive skills - aggressive scorer and shows flashes as a passer, needs to get a little stronger on the boards and should do so, good shot-blocker, he's a little over-aggressive defensively - like most freshman bigs. I expect he'll stay another year in college, but if he's offered a 1st round guarantee, who knows? The best player from Angola.

I like Fernando, but I don’t think he’s a prospect this year. There are just too many centers in this draft. I DO really like Kevin Huerter though. I think he’s a prospect too. I have him in the top 12 of his position.

Agreed - this is a great draft for bigs. Huerter's a very unusual player - who might make it more for his defense than offense. A lot of people will say he doesn't pass the eye test - also has an unorthodox shooting stroke. I think he'll be a 4 year college player. Of their guards, I think Darryll Morsell has the most upside but probably needs another year - a very versatile player. He hurt his hamstring - might miss a few games.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#1000 » by Catchall » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:18 pm

Kilian Tillie can do a bit more than he's showing at Gonzaga. He could rise during draft workouts. Ultimately, I think he's a big off the bench at the next level, but he could be a decent rotation player.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to NBA Draft