Wade Baldwin

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

User avatar
BoyzNTheHood
Veteran
Posts: 2,518
And1: 2,717
Joined: Apr 19, 2015

Wade Baldwin 

Post#1 » by BoyzNTheHood » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:14 am

Who's a Vandy fan, or has seen enough Vandy games to provide a decent scouting report on him? I've seen him a couple of times and am convinced he's a future superstar if he wants it, but maybe I'm missing a lot. I'm surprised there aren't more people talking about him?
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
2 Clutch
Freshman
Posts: 56
And1: 10
Joined: Dec 25, 2014
 

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#2 » by 2 Clutch » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:35 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:Who's a Vandy fan, or has seen enough Vandy games to provide a decent scouting report on him? I've seen him a couple of times and am convinced he's a future superstar if he wants it, but maybe I'm missing a lot. I'm surprised there aren't more people talking about him?


What do you see that convinces you he'll be a superstar?

I like him as a prospect, from what I've seen the Avery Bradley comp is close enough for me. I see him as a similar style of prospect but I need to see more of him.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
Posts: 48,695
And1: 28,352
Joined: Jul 16, 2009

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#3 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:17 pm

Do it all point guard with long arms and doesn't make mistakes. Can shoot, can attack, and can defend. Court vision isn't amazing and doesn't have elite quickness, but he's got solid potential - a more PG oriented version of Bradley isn't terrible, but I think Kirk Hinrich is a better one.

I don't see superstar at all, to be honest.
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,463
And1: 2,959
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#4 » by Fischella » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:19 pm

He has the tools to be a really good starter in a really good team, not a superstar by any stretch
User avatar
BoyzNTheHood
Veteran
Posts: 2,518
And1: 2,717
Joined: Apr 19, 2015

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#5 » by BoyzNTheHood » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:44 pm

Honestly, I haven't seen enough of him to back up any of my statements, it's just a gut feeling. Without elite quickness or handles it will be tough for him to even be a star, but his length is off the charts and he still has a lot of skills to make up for what he lacks. Is there potential for him to be a Rondo like defender? I'm thinking if that's possible and he can be something like Calderon was in Toronto on offense that's a pretty good player.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
hcsilla
General Manager
Posts: 9,890
And1: 646
Joined: Jan 11, 2002

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#6 » by hcsilla » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:25 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:Do it all point guard with long arms and doesn't make mistakes.


Doesn't he?

He makes almost 3 TO's per game next to 3.4 assists.

Can shoot, can attack, and can defend. Court vision isn't amazing and doesn't have elite quickness, but he's got solid potential - a more PG oriented version of Bradley isn't terrible, but I think Kirk Hinrich is a better one.


Hinrich is actually a quite good comparison, although he was a more of a passer in college.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
Posts: 48,695
And1: 28,352
Joined: Jul 16, 2009

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#7 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:55 pm

hcsilla wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:Do it all point guard with long arms and doesn't make mistakes.


Doesn't he?

He makes almost 3 TO's per game next to 3.4 assists.

Can shoot, can attack, and can defend. Court vision isn't amazing and doesn't have elite quickness, but he's got solid potential - a more PG oriented version of Bradley isn't terrible, but I think Kirk Hinrich is a better one.


Hinrich is actually a quite good comparison, although he was a more of a passer in college.


Wasn't an issue last year. I'm thinking (hoping) it's just nerves / us having a terrible coach. Dom what I've seen, he's not forcing passes / trying to make bad ones.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,339
And1: 1,064
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#8 » by doordoor123 » Fri Jan 1, 2016 1:40 am

Bottom line: he's a project. I love length so naturally I have him ahead of guys with more upside.
Gomes3PC
Head Coach
Posts: 6,808
And1: 2,443
Joined: Feb 10, 2006

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#9 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Jan 1, 2016 4:36 am

Anyone with his size and shooting ability is worth taking a hard look at.
User avatar
youngthegiant
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,713
And1: 2,895
Joined: Aug 31, 2011
     

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#10 » by youngthegiant » Tue Jan 5, 2016 9:54 pm

just barely landed on my radar, but he looks damn good. Good length, crafty, good shooter. Looks more like a sg than a pg to me.
User avatar
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
Posts: 48,094
And1: 2,150
Joined: May 30, 2005
Location: New Jeruz
Contact:
     

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#11 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:47 pm

Anyone want to do a season recap on this guy? I haven't watched a lot of college ball lately.
Image
PD28 wrote:Retirement Bod Dudley FTW!
Coeur
Veteran
Posts: 2,925
And1: 445
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#12 » by Coeur » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:49 am

Josh Adams and Dejounte Murray are both going to be much better players.


People are having a hard time with pg's in this years draft. Doesn't mean you force someone with a great wingspan into a spot they don't belong
User avatar
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
Posts: 48,094
And1: 2,150
Joined: May 30, 2005
Location: New Jeruz
Contact:
     

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#13 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:48 am

Coeur wrote:Josh Adams and Dejounte Murray are both going to be much better players.


People are having a hard time with pg's in this years draft. Doesn't mean you force someone with a great wingspan into a spot they don't belong

Want to expound on this a little? A little breakdown on his pros and cons? NBA career projection?
Image
PD28 wrote:Retirement Bod Dudley FTW!
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,463
And1: 2,959
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#14 » by Fischella » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:47 pm

Baldwin, like all Vanderbilt prospects, will look better in the pros when he is asked to do less, he is a defensive Guard that can shoot and handle it a little bit, he is more suited for the 3&D PG like Beverley or modern day Kirk Hinrich, but he had a way bigger load at Vandy than the one he should.
Same for Damian Jones who is suited as a p&r finished, space eater and rimrunner big, that can protect the paint, and in college he was seeing more action as a post-up player than as a finisher, when is much better at the former.

Luke Kornet is another example of that, with a basic stretch big role, focusing on his strengths he will be a much more effective player.

Baldwin will be perfect for a team like Milwaukee.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
Posts: 48,695
And1: 28,352
Joined: Jul 16, 2009

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#15 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:27 pm

I don't think I've ever agreed with fischella before, but I've been saying he's gonna be a Kirk Hinrich player for a while - more athletic Kirk is my ceiling. Reminds me a bit of Reggie Jackson too, but more Kirk.

James has a **** attitude, btw, and Luke was basically ONLY a spot up shooter (even if he had a huge mismatch). Also, Stallings (our HC) is **** terrible. Hated him when I was there when we had John, Jeff, and Fes. **** **** **** coach.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,143
And1: 5,289
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#16 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:58 pm

He seems like a good solid prospect in the Avery Bradley mold, but the one negative is that his efficiency numbers decreased a bit in his sophomore year. More was expected from him, but still I'd expect more improvement from freshman to sophomore year. It's an indication that his ceiling on the offensive end isn't real high.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
Coeur
Veteran
Posts: 2,925
And1: 445
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#17 » by Coeur » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:45 pm

Ruzious wrote:He seems like a good solid prospect in the Avery Bradley mold, but the one negative is that his efficiency numbers decreased a bit in his sophomore year. More was expected from him, but still I'd expect more improvement from freshman to sophomore year. It's an indication that his ceiling on the offensive end isn't real high.

Avery Bradley is a world class athlete. I went to a hoops summit game and came out thinking John wall and Avery Bradley are a level ahead of all these guys.

Wade Baldwin is no Avery Bradley
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,143
And1: 5,289
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:24 pm

Coeur wrote:
Ruzious wrote:He seems like a good solid prospect in the Avery Bradley mold, but the one negative is that his efficiency numbers decreased a bit in his sophomore year. More was expected from him, but still I'd expect more improvement from freshman to sophomore year. It's an indication that his ceiling on the offensive end isn't real high.

Avery Bradley is a world class athlete. I went to a hoops summit game and came out thinking John wall and Avery Bradley are a level ahead of all these guys.

Wade Baldwin is no Avery Bradley

John Wall was the first pick in his draft while Bradley was the 19th pick for a reason (no, not because of Wall's shooting ability :) ). As Charles Barkley said about a gifted but marginal NBA player - The game ain't run and jump; It's basketball. There are a lot of world class athletes that can't play in the NBA.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
Upperclass
Veteran
Posts: 2,622
And1: 956
Joined: Aug 09, 2005

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#19 » by Upperclass » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:47 pm

Avery Bradley is one of the best athletes in the NBA. Probably top 5 quickness and speed. He went 19th because he was small and position less. Odd logic you have there.

Baldwin reminds me of George Hill. But I dont know if he's as cerebral. Hill for all of his flaws, has always had a mature, steady game. Baldwin is a bit of a spazz at times.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,339
And1: 1,064
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Wade Baldwin 

Post#20 » by doordoor123 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:44 pm

Upperclass wrote:Avery Bradley is one of the best athletes in the NBA. Probably top 5 quickness and speed. He went 19th because he was small and position less. Odd logic you have there.

Baldwin reminds me of George Hill. But I dont know if he's as cerebral. Hill for all of his flaws, has always had a mature, steady game. Baldwin is a bit of a spazz at times.


IMO if Baldwin was George Hill's size he wouldn't make it in the league. I still think there's a chance he doesn't make it in the league. He needs to be drafted to the right team like Houston, but even then I don't think he's a great pick.

Return to NBA Draft