Jamal Murray?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,767

Re: Jamal Murray? 

Post#121 » by Upperclass » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:20 am

I compared Murray to Mayo too, early in the season.. but Murray looks to be a more purposeful player. Mayo has the athletic edge, and was a comparable shooter and passer.. but his IQ was always on the borderline of what would be deemed acceptable in a high rotation player.. If the Grizz had kept and continued to groom Mayo, he wouldve been a very good player.. Mayo had the higher ceiling between these two.. but Murray will more likely meet his.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#122 » by NewWolvesOrder » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:12 am

Upperclass wrote:I compared Murray to Mayo too, early in the season.. but Murray looks to be a more purposeful player. Mayo has the athletic edge, and was a comparable shooter and passer.. but his IQ was always on the borderline of what would be deemed acceptable in a high rotation player.. If the Grizz had kept and continued to groom Mayo, he wouldve been a very good player.. Mayo had the higher ceiling between these two.. but Murray will more likely meet his.

Not sure what ceiling you're talking about. He hit the league at 21 and showed little to no improvements thru the years. He basically was at his ceiling then. His ceiling was never high. He was a fabricated prospect, a product of his older age compered to his HS and college competition.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,767

Post#123 » by Upperclass » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:48 pm

^^ Talent-wise.. Mayo was more talented due to his athletic edge and ability to get shots off.. Better ballhandler, similar style passer, comparable shooter. He was also quicker and more athletic. And just as confident if not moreso.

Murray is really unathletic going to the basket. He seems to have pretty good offensive and court awareness and his shot is lights out and fairly quick. But Mayo was a better prospect.. age didnt have anything to do with it. Im not referencing his numbers.. just talent.

Mayo also averaged 18ppg, on pretty good percentages his first two years, before Memphis brought in Tony Allen to start over him, which was a mistake. That, along with niggling injuries hampered his development more than anything.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#124 » by dalton749 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:51 pm

Murray is going to have a similar impact to Lillard IMO, best scorer in the draft. He doesn't rely on athletiscm, he's craft and take whatever the defence gives him. He will be a capable pg or sg.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#125 » by NewWolvesOrder » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:38 pm

Upperclass wrote:^^ Talent-wise.. Mayo was more talented due to his athletic edge and ability to get shots off.. Better ballhandler, similar style passer, comparable shooter. He was also quicker and more athletic. And just as confident if not moreso.

Murray is really unathletic going to the basket. He seems to have pretty good offensive and court awareness and his shot is lights out and fairly quick. But Mayo was a better prospect.. age didnt have anything to do with it. Im not referencing his numbers.. just talent.

Mayo also averaged 18ppg, on pretty good percentages his first two years, before Memphis brought in Tony Allen to start over him, which was a mistake. That, along with niggling injuries hampered his development more than anything.

Come on son, It wasn't a mistake, Memphis was a sub .500 team with Mayo starting. As soon as Allen came and pushed him to the bench Memphis team took off and never looked back till this season. Mayo is a scrub who never done anything worthy in this league. His upside was never high. 20 y.o college freshman, how does it even happen to an american born player?
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#126 » by dballislife » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:50 am

murray has great handles, and underrated passing, vision, and PG skills...hes gonna be good already with his scoring and shooting game...if his pg game develops well he can be a star, cus he has near elite 3 ball potential too
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,795

Post#127 » by HotelVitale » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:13 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Upperclass wrote:I compared Murray to Mayo too, early in the season.. but Murray looks to be a more purposeful player. Mayo has the athletic edge, and was a comparable shooter and passer.. but his IQ was always on the borderline of what would be deemed acceptable in a high rotation player.. If the Grizz had kept and continued to groom Mayo, he wouldve been a very good player.. Mayo had the higher ceiling between these two.. but Murray will more likely meet his.
Not sure what ceiling you're talking about. He hit the league at 21 and showed little to no improvements thru the years. He basically was at his ceiling then. His ceiling was never high. He was a fabricated prospect, a product of his older age compered to his HS and college competition.

This might just be semantics but I think we would all agree that Mayo had the higher ceiling--he had better physical traits to start off with and he could've filled them in with skill and experience/decision-making. He didn't though, so he never achieved anything close to his ceiling. He was a good athlete who could shoot and he never learned to make any of that translate into being a good NBA player.

Murray is starting with less but seems further along and much more likely to sharpen his skills/decision-making to the very high level they'll need to be at for him to succeed every night in the NBA.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,665

Post#128 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:42 pm

Mayo was old for his class and using PEDs.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#129 » by NewWolvesOrder » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:10 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:

This might just be semantics but I think we would all agree that Mayo had the higher ceiling--he had better physical traits to start off with and he could've filled them in with skill and experience/decision-making. He didn't though, so he never achieved anything close to his ceiling. He was a good athlete who could shoot and he never learned to make any of that translate into being a good NBA player.

Murray is starting with less but seems further along and much more likely to sharpen his skills/decision-making to the very high level they'll need to be at for him to succeed every night in the NBA.

Lol, not all would agree, that's for sure.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#130 » by pelifan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:34 pm

dalton749 wrote:Murray is going to have a similar impact to Lillard IMO, best scorer in the draft. He doesn't rely on athletiscm, he's craft and take whatever the defence gives him. He will be a capable pg or sg.

Lillard athletically tested at DRose levels. I can't think of a star guard in the league with as little quickness/explosiveness as Murray. Closest I can come up with is Goran Dragic but he's a totally different animal.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#131 » by dalton749 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:09 pm

pelifan wrote:
dalton749 wrote:Murray is going to have a similar impact to Lillard IMO, best scorer in the draft. He doesn't rely on athletiscm, he's craft and take whatever the defence gives him. He will be a capable pg or sg.

Lillard athletically tested at DRose levels. I can't think of a star guard in the league with as little quickness/explosiveness as Murray. Closest I can come up with is Goran Dragic but he's a totally different animal.

I just meant on the same level of play, not as a comparison between their games. I guess I didn't explain that very well.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#132 » by nykgeneralmanager » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:54 pm

For those who watched a good amount of Murray, is there a good explanation for his TO numbers exceeding his assists? That concerns me about a player who should have good vision and playmaking skills.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#133 » by moss_is_1 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:26 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:For those who watched a good amount of Murray, is there a good explanation for his TO numbers exceeding his assists? That concerns me about a player who should have good vision and playmaking skills.

He seemed like he wasn't asked to create as much for his teamates. He didn't play PG at all, because of Ullis and Briscoe. If you go watch him playing for Canada he shows his PG skills there.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,135

Post#134 » by GopherIt! » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:32 am

SHAQ32 wrote:Does anyone else see similarities in his game with OJ Mayo?

If the Wolves draft him at five I may change my screen name to "liljamalmurray."
GopherIt!
RealGM

Post#135 » by GopherIt! » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:35 am

pelifan wrote:

Admit it Dell, you want him to drop to #6.
pelifan
RealGM

Post#136 » by pelifan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:46 am

GopherIt! wrote:
pelifan wrote:

Admit it Dell, you want him to drop to #6.

Don't you believe the rumors NO wants to trade out? This draft sucks and Murray is the suckiest. Tell your friends in the Wolves front office.
pelifan
RealGM

Post#137 » by pelifan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:48 am

GopherIt! wrote:

If the Wolves draft him at five I may change my screen name to "liljamalmurray."

Liljamalmurray? What are you going to be a 6'4 shooting guard with trex arms too?
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#138 » by saintEscaton » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:57 am

moss_is_1 wrote:
nykgeneralmanager wrote:For those who watched a good amount of Murray, is there a good explanation for his TO numbers exceeding his assists? That concerns me about a player who should have good vision and playmaking skills.

He seemed like he wasn't asked to create as much for his teamates. He didn't play PG at all, because of Ullis and Briscoe. If you go watch him playing for Canada he shows his PG skills there.

He was miscast a combo guard to star the season because he flashed playmaking abilities in the Pan Am games/ Nike EYBL. But Coach Cal quickly pulled the plug on that failed experiment and gave back primary playmaking duties to Ulis. He saw a big uptick when we was relegated to spot up duty off the ball early February. For the season Murray had an assist percentage that was below average even for wing players
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

GopherIt!
RealGM

Post#139 » by GopherIt! » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:07 am

pelifan wrote:
GopherIt! wrote:

Liljamalmurray? What are you going to be a 6'4 shooting guard with trex arms too?

Nah. I will declare him goat and talk about the rich texture of his hair.
pelifan
RealGM

Post#140 » by pelifan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:13 am

GopherIt! wrote:
pelifan wrote:
GopherIt! wrote:

Nah. I will declare him goat and talk about the rich texture of his hair.

Hopefully he gets a nice beard he can keep dry on the bench

Return to NBA Draft