Domantas Sabonis

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: Domantas Sabonis 

Post#21 » by skywalker33 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:17 pm

Whatever position he plays in the NBA, dude made himself some money this weekend !!
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
MrTwister
Sixth Man
And1: 1,081

Post#22 » by MrTwister » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:04 pm

Sabonis reminds me on another Lithuanian Jankunas.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#23 » by Johnlac1 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:16 pm

DerekRD wrote:
Johnlac1 wrote:
Nuggets18 wrote:He didnt have any problem shotting Poeltl down. A guy who is one of the most skilled 7footers to play college ball the last few years. Somewhere between Embiid and Okafor

Didn't see the game, but afterwards Sabonis admitted he got a lot of help. Sabonis is a good player, but I'll take Poeltl over him any day.

Watched the whole game. He definitely got some help but the same can be said about Poeltl guarding him. Plus one of Poeltl's baskets came with Sabonis on the bench. Poeltl got in foul trouble in the first half but even with not playing a ton he kept gassing in the second half. Sabonis tweaked his ankle at the end of the first half and was less aggressive in the second half (I think he had 11/7 at halftime).

I've seen both....Poeltl just has a lot more potential at the next level. If he gets a 15 ft jump shot down, he'll be very tough to guard. He has also has good defensive instincts. I've seen Poeltl take his man off the dribble at the top of the key and get to the basket awfully quick. And there was his steal and spectacular dunk against Wash St. I haven't seen Sabonis do anything that athletic. Like I said, I like Sabonis, but it's Poeltl for me at the next level.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#24 » by TKainZero » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:19 am

NBA players kids are all the rage these days...
Someone will bite on Sabonis early.

He cannot live up to his dad thou. Sabonis was one of the best players in basketball history.
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#25 » by skywalker33 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:05 am

TKainZero wrote:NBA players kids are all the rage these days...
Someone will bite on Sabonis early.

He cannot live up to his dad thou. Sabonis was one of the best players in basketball history.

While I agree Dom won't surpass his dad's legacy, Dell's son is looking a bit better than Pop's
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#26 » by KqWIN » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:33 am

Sabonis and Poeltl squared off in international play once before if anyone was interested in watching that. Interesting watch, if you're bored. You get to see Poeltl being used in a way that's completely different than how he was used at Utah. He even drained a three!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM97r_I33lU&feature=youtu.be
sv-x-as
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,074

Post#27 » by sv-x-as » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:22 am

Stackey wrote:Undersized center with average wingspan. And no, he can't just switch to PF positicon, because he can't shoot. Not even mid range. But American hype machine is strong on him.

And claim that he can be compared to Luis Scola doesn't even deserve to be commented.

He can shoot. Just watch some games from this year before commenting.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#28 » by jcsunsfan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:45 pm

Sabonis can shoot the midrange just fine. He is a pf. He is an excellent defender, not just in the post, but also out on the floor. His back to the basket footwork is way advanced for his age. And rebounding is the most-translatable skill from college to the pros. As a center, he is a bit undersized. As a pf, he is just fine.
zZero
Sophomore
And1: 272

Post#29 » by zZero » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:53 pm

He's a PF and he has pretty decent jumpshot, dunno what some of you guys talking about.. He will develop 3pt shot in the long run, as of right now Sabonis is really underrated, if he drops past 15 it's a huge steal.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,744

Post#30 » by UcanUwill » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:00 pm

Domantas is PF for sure, and I am exited for him at FIBA level. But NBA, I don't know, even in his highlights looks very underwhelming as NBA prospect. Doesn't have the length at all, exclusively below the rim player. He has a very low ceiling, people compare him to Scola, Scola is his best case scenario I think.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#31 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:36 pm

I think he is the best post player left in the tournament. Is this correct?
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#32 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:42 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Domantas is PF for sure, and I am exited for him at FIBA level. But NBA, I don't know, even in his highlights looks very underwhelming as NBA prospect. Doesn't have the length at all, exclusively below the rim player. He has a very low ceiling, people compare him to Scola, Scola is his best case scenario I think.

Offensively yes, but defensively he can be a much better player, plus a better rebounder. So he can be a more complete player than Scola.
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#33 » by peachbucket » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:47 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Domantas is PF for sure, and I am exited for him at FIBA level. But NBA, I don't know, even in his highlights looks very underwhelming as NBA prospect. Doesn't have the length at all, exclusively below the rim player. He has a very low ceiling, people compare him to Scola, Scola is his best case scenario I think.

Offensively yes, but defensively he can be a much better player, plus a better rebounder. So he can be a more complete player then Scola.

A better rebounding and defending Scola is a borderline all star.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#34 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:56 pm

peachbucket wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:

Offensively yes, but defensively he can be a much better player, plus a better rebounder. So he can be a more complete player then Scola.

yeah, but becoming Scola good offensive player is not a guarantee. I'd say scola /nick colison cross.
sweetcity
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,289

Post#35 » by sweetcity » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:04 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
peachbucket wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:

yeah, but becoming Scola good offensive player is not a guarantee. I'd say scola /nick colison cross.

Thats a great comparison
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,744

Post#36 » by UcanUwill » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:47 pm

Better rebounder for sure, but I doubt hes a good as Scola on O. Scola is one of FIBA gods, dude can flat out score on fools. People don't realize on how hard to be relevant in the NBA when you as unathletic and short as Sabonis/Scola.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#37 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:12 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Better rebounder for sure, but I doubt hes a good as Scola on O. Scola is one of FIBA gods, dude can flat out score on fools. People don't realize on how hard to be relevant in the NBA when you as unathletic and short as Sabonis/Scola.

He's also a better man defender
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#38 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:20 pm

His wingspan is just a hair longer than his height - they call that normal outside of the NBA.
He's averaging 17+ pts per game and 11+ rebounds per game. Since he achieves that with brains, not brawn or skills; his game should translate well into the NBA. Is he going to be a superstar? Probably not. Starter? Maybe someday on the right team. But he'll make an excellent backup at center and power forward - situation depending. --- One man's opinion
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#39 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:49 pm

He seems stronger than he looks. First off if 238 pounds (Nike Skills Academy) is correct that is quite a bit for 6'10 player. Secondly look at what he did to Poeltl, along with his post up success against other players
RationalGaze
Junior
And1: 63

Post#40 » by RationalGaze » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:43 pm

Finished his last game with 19 points, 17 rebounds, 5 blocks, and 1 assist. Very nice game considering Syracuse doubled and triple teamed the hell out of him until the guards opened things up more for him. Probably not a shot blocker at the next level, but he will get you smart blocks. Sabonis made a huge leap this year and he has shown off a jumper as well as 5-14 from three so his next huge leap will be more jumpers followed by the three shot. 6'11" and 240lbs. will get the job done to be a force at the next level as a PF, because the kid absolutely uses his strength every game as he loves to compete.

Return to NBA Draft