Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,475

Re: Domantas Sabonis 

Post#81 » by Mirotic12 » Sat May 7, 2016 6:21 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:
No. Songaila was just a quick and fast small ball four that could run the floor, hustle, and finish. He was a pure energy and hustle role player, with absolutely nothing else to offer.

I agree that Dom will not be as good as Scola, unless he really improves. Scola is FIBA legend, guy has so much skill. You really have to be good and skilled to be relevant in the NBA with those athletic shortcomings.

Songaila had a nice jumper. Dom has far more potential at back to the basket, but overall I think they are similar. Dom is also energy guy who can run the floor, has great intangibles, but can't jumo over a newspaper.

Let's stop the thing that always happens in NBA message forums - comparing white Euroleague players only to other white Euroleague players (Sabonis and Scola), or comparing players from one country only to other players from that same country (Sabonis and Songaila, etc.).

It's almost always a nonsense, and totally illogical. It's especially true in the case of Sabonis, who has a very American style of basketball game, and was taught mainly how to play American old school big man basketball by his father. Also because Sabonis plays more with physical attributes, rather than being a scoring monster.

I can think of many non Lithuanian players, many American players, many black players, many players that never played in Europe, that he is more similar to than Scola or Songaila, or Splitter, or whatever players are being mentioned here.

This whole comparing white players to white players, Euroleague players to Euroleague players, players from one country to players from that same country, etc. was started by these NBA mock draft sites like nbadraft.net and draftexpress.com and it's just incredibly stupid. Somehow since they kept doing it, it became something that people think is legitimate and correct. It's not. It's actually completely illogical and stupid.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,595

Post#82 » by UcanUwill » Sat May 7, 2016 6:34 pm

Give me your comparison then
sv-x-as
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,074

Post#83 » by sv-x-as » Sat May 7, 2016 7:15 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
Fischella wrote:
saintEscaton wrote:I think he projects as a solid backup center, seeing some Tiago Splitter. Has a relentless motor and is a cerebral playmaker in the post but isn't a faceup threat and lacks a polished back to the basket reperotire, kinda relies on bullyball which won't tranlsate in the NBA . He has some some ability to finish with his right hand which is promising. Hoever his wingpsan is only .5 inches more than his 6'10 height which really lowers his upside

Splitter was a elite defender against PF, I can see that, offensively I think Splitter has more finesse but if Domas develops a jumper he might not need that, and he is a better passer.

The only thing Splitter could ever do on offense was finish on pick and rolls created by elite pick and roll masters. His all around offensive game has always been atrocious.

franckyvinvin12 wrote:I saw a comparison with Luis Scola, I can definitely see it.

Scola's offensive game is light years better than Sabonis'. I don't see any similarity at all.

UcanUwill wrote:Domantas is PF for sure, and I am exited for him at FIBA level. But NBA, I don't know, even in his highlights looks very underwhelming as NBA prospect. Doesn't have the length at all, exclusively below the rim player. He has a very low ceiling, people compare him to Scola, Scola is his best case scenario I think.

Scola isn't his best case scenario. Scola is so vastly superior offensively and in skills, that there is no way Sabonis is going to be as good as him. He might get a role similar to Scola, or bigger. He might have similar numbers, and maybe better. The N BA is all about getting in the right team, right situation, and with the right coach and system.

But I can guarantee Sabonis will never be as good of a player as Scola. At least not as good as Scola was once he developed a mid range jumper. For a long time, Scola did not have a reliable mid range jumper. But once he developed that, he was an offensive monster.

Sabonis would need to make colossal strides in scoring ability and offensive skills to get to where prime Scola was at. It's not in the least bit realistic IMO.

UcanUwill wrote:He doesn't look taller to me. I kinda can't believe this comparison hasn't been made yet, since he is Lithuanian and all. Darius Songaila?

No. Songaila was just a quick and fast small ball four that could run the floor, hustle, and finish. He was a pure energy and hustle role player, with absolutely nothing else to offer.

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
sv-x-as wrote:
He is way way more skilled then Songaila, has better motor and has a fight in him. Songaila was better shooter though.

I don't know about young Sabonis but I think you're selling Darius Songaila way short. Songaila would flourish in today's small ball NBA because he was highly skilled.

I watched Songaila from his days at Wake Forest all the way to his games as a Wizard. In the Princeton sets Songaila was effective as an undersized C. He was like a poor man's Draymond Green. Very versatile.

Songaila was like the least skilled power forward of any well known Lithuanian players at his position.

K. Lavrinovic (he's a 4/5, but spent most his career as a 4)
Jankunas
Motiejunas
Arlauckas (if you want to count him, did not play in their national team, but he's Lithuanian American)
Kleiza
Kuzminksas (he's a SF in Euroleague, but in NBA he would probably be a PF)
D. Lavrinovic (he's a C, but he started as 4/5)
Zavackas

Every single one of the good Lithuanian 4s, 3/4s, and 4/5s of the last 15 years are/were way more skilled than Songaila.

Im not saying that Dom can be like Scola or that he will ever be. But to guarantee that he wont be is as stupid as to claim that he will be better. Its not like Scola was some monster athlete.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,475

Post#84 » by Mirotic12 » Sat May 7, 2016 8:02 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Give me your comparison then

I'd compare him more to someone like Andray Blatche to be honest about it.

sv-x-as wrote:
Im not saying that Dom can be like Scola or that he will ever be. But to guarantee that he wont be is as stupid as to claim that he will be better. Its not like Scola was some monster athlete.

The point is that Scola is light years better at scoring and in offensive skills. So the probability that Sabonis ever becomes comparable as a skilled player and scorer is extremely unlikely. I'm not honestly seeing how stating that could even be in the slightest bit controversial.
sv-x-as
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,074

Post#85 » by sv-x-as » Sat May 7, 2016 8:55 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:

sv-x-as wrote:

The point is that Scola is light years better at scoring and in offensive skills. So the probability that Sabonis ever becomes comparable as a skilled player and scorer is extremely unlikely. I'm not honestly seeing how stating that could even be in the slightest bit controversial.

Scola is light years better then a 20 yo kid.
RationalGaze
Junior
And1: 63

Post#86 » by RationalGaze » Sun May 8, 2016 6:14 pm

sv-x-as wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

sv-x-as wrote:

Scola is light years better then a 20 yo kid.

Not at his current age. Sabonis would be a better player for the Raptors than Luis.
diamonddave6316
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#87 » by diamonddave6316 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:02 pm

I'd love to see Sabonis slide to the Pacers at 20, he'd be a good fit next to Myles Turner. Turner can shoot away from the basket and on defense is a rim protector. Sabonis has a high basketball IQ , and great footwork which will help him be effective as a post scorer.

His strengths blend well with Myles Turner and both being 20 would give the Pacers 2 young , versitle bigs to build around with Paul George.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#88 » by EddieJonesFan » Sat May 14, 2016 9:47 pm

Post leaping-ability David Lee.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#89 » by EddieJonesFan » Sat May 14, 2016 9:48 pm

diamonddave6316 wrote:I'd love to see Sabonis slide to the Pacers at 20, he'd be a good fit next to Myles Turner. Turner can shoot away from the basket and on defense is a rim protector. Sabonis has a high basketball IQ , and great footwork which will help him be effective as a post scorer.

His strengths blend well with Myles Turner and both being 20 would give the Pacers 2 young , versitle bigs to build around with Paul George.

For sure.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#90 » by Killboard » Sun May 15, 2016 3:08 am

I think he will be a poor man love or z-bo. Not has high potential on offense due his lack of face up game at this point, but solid man defense, great rebounding and post moves. If he can defend quick PF that would be the difference between him being a solid starter vs a solid bench player.

He would fit great with Towns, if we can trade down for extra assets I would be thrilled picking him.

Return to NBA Draft