Malachi Richardson

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Re: Malachi Richardson 

Post#21 » by Notanoob » Tue May 17, 2016 11:35 pm

He's a super-inefficient scorer who doesn't pass the ball and doesn't have a good steal rate despite having a freakish wingspan and playing in Syracuse's zone. And he's a 20 year old freshman. I think he's a terrible prospect.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#22 » by Moooose » Wed May 18, 2016 7:46 am

kennydorglas wrote:Image

Very interesting player. Creates A LOT of his own offense (hurting his %'s tho).

Kennydorglas, may I know where did you get that chart? I've been looking for something like that.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#23 » by MalonesElbows » Thu May 19, 2016 2:27 am

He doesn't seem to play well with others. A lot of people thought Jeremy Lamb would be great because of that wingspan.
sweetcity
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,289

Post#24 » by sweetcity » Thu May 19, 2016 2:37 am

Im 100% certain he falls out of the first round. Brembrey will go before him to
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#25 » by Upperclass » Thu May 19, 2016 2:59 am

Idk.. I think he's gonna be one of the best players from this draft. I hope the Grizzlies or 6ers luck into him
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#26 » by doordoor123 » Thu May 19, 2016 3:19 am

sweetcity wrote:Im 100% certain he falls out of the first round. Brembrey will go before him to

I agree. He's an iso player with average length and athleticism. He doesn't have a calling card in terms of what does he do on the next level? James Young had the same issue. James Young is probably a good comparison too.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach

Post#27 » by Upperclass » Thu May 19, 2016 5:16 am

James Young had a sloppy game. No real skill besides a decent shot. This kid is polished offensively. He reminds me a lot of Courtney Lee with more upside due to his length
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#28 » by machu46 » Thu May 19, 2016 6:57 pm

Upperclass wrote:James Young had a sloppy game. No real skill besides a decent shot. This kid is polished offensively. He reminds me a lot of Courtney Lee with more upside due to his length

Polished in what way?
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by Upperclass » Thu May 19, 2016 7:12 pm

^^Form on his shot, above-avg vision, very good footwork, solid-ballhandling, finishing with either hand, strong hands with the ball and finishing through contact. His only problem offensively is becoming more consistent with his shot. I actually change my comparison.. he's probably a smarter Nick Young.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#30 » by Catchall » Thu May 19, 2016 9:17 pm

I'm only watching highlights, having heard some of the hype. His body control is pretty elite for a 6'6" player. Great scoring instincts. He's not ready in terms of physical development, but his tools and talent level look near-elite. How did he do in interviews?
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by doordoor123 » Thu May 19, 2016 9:47 pm

Catchall wrote:I'm only watching highlights, having heard some of the hype. His body control is pretty elite for a 6'6" player. Great scoring instincts. He's not ready in terms of physical development, but his tools and talent level look near-elite. How did he do in interviews?

I actually really like his handle and he seems to have a good vert. I think he's going to draw a lot of fouls too. Could end up being James Harden without the passing ability. He also seems to protect the ball very well when driving, which is very Harden-like. I haven't watched Syracuse a lot this year and when I did I wasn't watching Richardson. I'm judging him a lot on a work out and highlights. So don't take my word on him.
machu46
General Manager

Post#32 » by machu46 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:38 pm

Upperclass wrote:^^Form on his shot, above-avg vision, very good footwork, solid-ballhandling, finishing with either hand, strong hands with the ball and finishing through contact. His only problem offensively is becoming more consistent with his shot. I actually change my comparison.. he's probably a smarter Nick Young.

I'm curious to see what DraftExpress ends up having to say about him, but having watched every Syracuse game this season, I don't see much of that.

He has a very quick shot, but his mechanics aren't very consistent, which I'd guess is one of the reasons he was so bad from the mid-range this season, and so inconsistent in terms of how he misses. I'm not sure what suggests to you that he has above average vision. He's not really much of a passer and he had more turnovers than assists this year. I do agree regarding the footwork; his jab-step is especially good. In terms of ball-handling, I don't really see it. He can drive in a straight line well, but he was the 3rd or 4th ball-handler on a team made up of poor ball-handlers. I'd be shocked if the numbers suggest he's a good finisher with his right hand, much less with either hand. And he almost never finished through contact.

I'm really surprised that "polished" would be the word used to describe him. I think he has some potential, but he's extremely raw IMO.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 20, 2016 2:41 pm

machu46 wrote:
Upperclass wrote:^^Form on his shot, above-avg vision, very good footwork, solid-ballhandling, finishing with either hand, strong hands with the ball and finishing through contact. His only problem offensively is becoming more consistent with his shot. I actually change my comparison.. he's probably a smarter Nick Young.

I'm curious to see what DraftExpress ends up having to say about him, but having watched every Syracuse game this season, I don't see much of that.

He has a very quick shot, but his mechanics aren't very consistent, which I'd guess is one of the reasons he was so bad from the mid-range this season, and so inconsistent in terms of how he misses. I'm not sure what suggests to you that he has above average vision. He's not really much of a passer and he had more turnovers than assists this year. I do agree regarding the footwork; his jab-step is especially good. In terms of ball-handling, I don't really see it. He can drive in a straight line well, but he was the 3rd or 4th ball-handler on a team made up of poor ball-handlers. I'd be shocked if the numbers suggest he's a good finisher with his right hand, much less with either hand. And he almost never finished through contact.

I'm really surprised that "polished" would be the word used to describe him. I think he has some potential, but he's extremely raw IMO.

Pretty strong handle IMO with NBA moves.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S89sJWwDJSg[/youtube]

All the highlights ive seen are him pretty much shooting or getting contact-shots. But you've seen more Syracuse games so you should know better.
machu46
General Manager

Post#34 » by machu46 » Fri May 20, 2016 2:49 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
machu46 wrote:

All the highlights ive seen are him pretty much shooting or getting contact-shots. But you've seen more Syracuse games so you should know better.

Nothing he did in this video shows that he's a good ball-handler. Those are all very simple ball-handling drills. Anyways, if your point was simply that ball-handling isn't a weakness for him, then I agree. But it isn't a strength IMO either.

Edit: Just saw the part at the bottom. Like I said, I think he's shown potential to become a decent scorer. He just isn't there yet.

I was able to find some of his percentages that I've been looking for. He shot 58% at the rim (which is solid, but for comparison's sake to other past Syracuse players, MCW shot 60% and Ennis shot 55%. And Malachi shot 22% on 2 point jumpers, compared to 26% for MCW and 31% for Ennis.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 20, 2016 3:01 pm

machu46 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
machu46 wrote:

Nothing he did in this video shows that he's a good ball-handler. Those are all very simple ball-handling drills. Anyways, if your point was simply that ball-handling isn't a weakness for him, then I agree. But it isn't a strength IMO either.

Edit: Just saw the part at the bottom. Like I said, I think he's shown potential to become a decent scorer. He just isn't there yet.

I was able to find some of his percentages that I've been looking for. He shot 58% at the rim (which is solid, but for comparison's sake to other past Syracuse players, MCW shot 60% and Ennis shot 55%. And Malachi shot 22% on 2 point jumpers, compared to 26% for MCW and 31% for Ennis.

Nope. Go watch Jaron Blossomgame try this. Go watch a bunch of other players try this. This isn't average. Comparable to Jerian Grant's workout last year.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by Upperclass » Fri May 20, 2016 3:56 pm

Well whatever the case.. If he lands with Memphis like I think he will.. I'd surprised if he isnt one of the top rookie scorers next season.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#37 » by JN » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:27 pm

Malachi Richardson is up from early 30's to #16 on Draft Express. Seems consistent with some of the news out there that he is passing on certain workouts.

As a Syracuse fan I just didn't see that level of talent. but i long ago gave up on my fake scouting ability. Great for Mali and wish him well.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#38 » by treefi » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:05 pm

MalonesElbows wrote:He doesn't seem to play well with others. A lot of people thought Jeremy Lamb would be great because of that wingspan.

Yeah, I was one of them, and Lamb put up 11.1ppg (17.7ppg as a Sophomore) on 48.7% shooting, 36.8% from 3 as a Freshman.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:22 pm

Apparently he cancelled a workout in the 20s and people think he has a promise somewhere between 10-20.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by Upperclass » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:23 pm

Lamb was a poor ballhandler and was physically weak. This kid has a good handle and is bodily strong in the same way a JR Smith vs. a guy who cant finish through contact like Shumpert. He'll be better than Lamb on that trait alone.

Return to NBA Draft