Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Re: Jayson Tatum 

Post#61 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:50 am

jrob23 wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
jrob23 wrote:
I noticed that when he was dunking over that 7 footer. How unathletic he was /s. I sometimes wonder if you ever even watch him. Or like I surmise you do...but months ago read a scouting report on draftxpress and are just stubbornly sticking by that despite mountains of evidence proving it/you wrong. As for 3 pt he's shooting .417% in Feb. Not saying he's proving anything but his skill set suggests that he should be adequate or better especially when you see what a great FT shooter he is.

I don't understand why people label every big man as a 7 footer. It was Kennedy Meeks, he's like 6'9''. Why are you denying that his vertical explosiveness off one foot is a legitimate problem? He even missed a dunk in the same game against North Carolina.

Meeks is close to 6'10" with a 7 foot reach. It's semantics. So you are arguing about 2 inches? omg too funny. Sorry but the narrative that he's not explosive is played out for everybody but his haters. I've shown plenty of highlights of him dunking on people. You guys just don't want to admit you're wrong. Who cares if he lacks explosion off one foot? Is this some long standing rule that only guys that jump off one foot are deemed explosive? like wtf? Oh no!!! He missed a dunk! smh lmao. I'm done trying...its pointless.

No because youre trying to build a false narrative when you say he dunked on a 7 footer. Again Kennedy Meeks is 6'9.5" and honestly is one of the least athletic big men in the ACC. Even UNC fans joke and say he cant jump over a phone book. So saying he dunked over a 7 footer and leaving it at just that is painting a very incorrect picture. And like Kolkmania said Tatum ended up missing a dunk a couple minutes later and it was because of lack of explosion. He tried to two hand dunk and got rejected by the rim.

I dont get why you think im on some crusade or something to tear down Tatum. If you saw what I was saying before the season and at the start of the season I was saying he was in contention to be #1. Then add in he plays for Duke, I admittedly have a Duke bias, dont you think I would be trying to go above and beyond to try and look like I was right about him and defend him? Also 41% from 3 in Feb? Theyve played 3 games in Feb and hes gone 2/3, 2/6 and 1/3. Youre quoting an extremely small sample size and 2 of the 3 games he shot 33%. I dont hate Tatum as a prospect, I dont question his skills either. All I do is question his ceiling because of the lack of explosion on offense, that is why I know longer have him with that group of the top 4 and have him in the 2nd tier group.
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#62 » by shawn_hemp » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:52 am

Yeah that's understandable. He doesn't really stand out from the crowd like Josh Jackson does when he moves around.

he is an above average athlete in college, which means he'll be a somewhat average one in the NBA.

If you combined Jayson Tatum's skill set with JJ's body you'd have a clear number one I guess is what I'm saying

And you have to figure JJ will only grow as a player learning from NBA staff and veterans, whereas I don't know if Jayson Tatum will ever get close to JJ when it comes to pure athleticism

Tatum is definitely more of a 3-4 tweener whereas JJ is better at 2-3 and I think both will be good players, but JJ has a chance to be really good.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#63 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:26 am

28/8 for Tatum tonight on 8/13 shooting and 6/7 from 3 and 6/6 from the line. That was against arguably the best defense in the nation and he also played great defense as well. He put Duke on his back in the 2nd half and just carried that team on the road. Really showed his shot making ability tonight.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#64 » by Mulhollanddrive » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:55 am

That was really impressive, probably how people imagined him at the start of season as a skilled scorer with length on rebounding and defense.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#65 » by Marcus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:48 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:That was really impressive, probably how people imagined him at the start of season as a skilled scorer with length on rebounding and defense.

Basically. Figured this would be him out the gate before the injury. Kids this young don't normally have or see a skillset that varied.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#66 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:16 pm

Marcus wrote:
Mulhollanddrive wrote:That was really impressive, probably how people imagined him at the start of season as a skilled scorer with length on rebounding and defense.

Basically. Figured this would be him out the gate before the injury. Kids this young don't normally have or see a skillset that varied.

He's clearly in the elite 5 of the 2017 draft - ahead of Isaac, imo - and Isaac's a helluva prospect. Actually, because of the age difference, I might take Tatum over Jackson.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#67 » by doordoor123 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:05 pm

Tatum is one of the safer picks IMO. I don't worry he's going to be bad. I think he needs to figure a few things out IQ-wise like where to be on defense, when to drive and when to shoot, but I think once he figures it out he will be good. I don't think he's going to be the player he is in college and I have a hard time figuring out what position he will play, but he's a smart player that works hard.

In terms of him vs Isaac, it's hard to say for me. You can't deny Isaac's high ceiling. Tatum is an all-around player, but Isaac has big advantages in terms of translating to the NBA. His speed for his size, his length, his three point shooting with long arms and his ability to finish over the rim. Those are big things.
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#68 » by jrob23 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:23 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Tatum is one of the safer picks IMO. I don't worry he's going to be bad. I think he needs to figure a few things out IQ-wise like where to be on defense, when to drive and when to shoot, but I think once he figures it out he will be good. I don't think he's going to be the player he is in college and I have a hard time figuring out what position he will play, but he's a smart player that works hard.

In terms of him vs Isaac, it's hard to say for me. You can't deny Isaac's high ceiling. Tatum is an all-around player, but Isaac has big advantages in terms of translating to the NBA. His speed for his size, his length, his three point shooting with long arms and his ability to finish over the rim. Those are big things.

he does get lost on defense sometimes but he has the effort and hustle and can stay in front of guys or keep them off the block. His lateral quickness/footwork when going against quicker guys is pretty bad tbh. You see it when he has to switch on guards. But he should be fine with the majority of SF and PF in the NBA. I think he grows out more and becomes a stretch 4 because he has to be north of 6'9". When I watch games and see him standing close to Giles he is pretty much the same height. He'll have good versatility defensively.

He and Isaac are very comparable talents and you could go either way imo
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#69 » by mattao313 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:07 pm

The guy plays under the rim nice first step but if he doesn't live at the free throw line he's going to miss a lot of bunnies around the rim.
Championships
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#70 » by reanimator » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:09 pm

I don't think either Tatum or Isaac are number one options and Isaac's game is more likely to mesh with most franchise player types.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#71 » by DirtyDez » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:21 am

So is he a legit 6'10"?
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#72 » by No-Man » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:42 am

DirtyDez wrote:So is he a legit 6'10"?

No, he's about 6'9 tops
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#73 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Fischella wrote:

No, he's about 6'9 tops

Ya I've been seeing this on a bunch of threads saying people think he's 6'10. I don't get where that came from, I think he's going to measure out to be about 6'7 without shoes and probably 6'8.5" with shoes.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#74 » by DirtyDez » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:12 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Fischella wrote:

No, he's about 6'9 tops

Ya I've been seeing this on a bunch of threads saying people think he's 6'10. I don't get where that came from, I think he's going to measure out to be about 6'7 without shoes and probably 6'8.5" with shoes.

Really? When it shows him on the line from a court level camera angle dude looks like AD. Maybe the camera adds 2". :dontknow:
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#75 » by jrob23 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:17 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Fischella wrote:

No, he's about 6'9 tops

Because Giles is supposed to be 6'11" and when he and Tatum are standing next to one another there doesn't look to be much more than an inch or so difference if that. Also, because Tatum measured 6'8.25 w/shoes last Spring and he appears to have grown some in the past year. Not difficult to see why people believe he's 6'9" or above. Definitely not enough to elicit incredulity. But we obviously won't know until he's measured. 6'10" might be a stretch though.

This is from before the season. As you can see he and Giles (who we know measured 6'10.75" w/shoes) are side by side. Tatum's shoulder's are actually higher than Giles and he's just a tad below eye level and looks to be within 1 to 1.5 inches away in height if we're being generous. I know you dig in your heels despite evidence that contradicts your opinion and may challenge whether they are in fact that close in height lol but it's pretty obvious there isn't 2-3 inch difference. It looks like Tatum is still growing and even closer now than before. I see them in huddles or on the floor together and I swear there isn't even an inch difference now.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2016/11/17/usa-basketball-coach-says-duke-can-scary-freshmen-debut/
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#76 » by CptCrunch » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:27 pm

jrob23 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Fischella wrote:No, he's about 6'9 tops

Because Giles is supposed to be 6'11" and when he and Tatum are standing next to one another there doesn't look to be much more than an inch or so difference if that. Also, because Tatum measured 6'8.25 w/shoes last Spring and he appears to have grown some in the past year. Not difficult to see why people believe he's 6'9" or above. Definitely not enough to elicit incredulity. But we obviously won't know until he's measured. 6'10" might be a stretch though.

This is from before the season. As you can see he and Giles (who we know measured 6'10.75" w/shoes) are side by side. Tatum's shoulder's are actually higher than Giles and he's just a tad below eye level and looks to be within 1 to 1.5 inches away in height if we're being generous. I know you dig in your heels despite evidence that contradicts your opinion and may challenge whether they are in fact that close in height lol but it's pretty obvious there isn't 2-3 inch difference. It looks like Tatum is still growing and even closer now than before. I see them in huddles or on the floor together and I swear there isn't even an inch difference now.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2016/11/17/usa-basketball-coach-says-duke-can-scary-freshmen-debut/

Late 2015: http://bluedevilnation.net/2015/11/signing-period-gold-for-duke/

Sep 16: https://scontent-sjc2-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/c0.109.1080.1080/14373998_348239208847268_1414812401_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTMzOTUyOTk4OTM5NzI4NjIxMw%3D%3D.2.c

Tatum seems to have grown. His shoulder is even with Giles. He might be a tad bit shorter since his neck seems to be shorter. If Giles can hit 6'8" without shoes, I think he is going #3.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#77 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:52 pm

I just think it's very hard to judge height of players based off of pictures of them standing next to each other. Tons of different things play into it like the angle of the picture, if one guy is standing just slightly closer to the camera.

Duke's listing of heights is always off, they don't measure their guys, they just have them put down their height according to the player. Again I think Tatum might be 6'8.5" if he grew a little he might be 6'9 if he's wearing some padded shoes. I just don't think he's grown close to 2 inches since last summer. If people are hoping for a height increase I think it's safe to think 6'9 not 6'10.

And if we are judging off of what he looks like compared to teammates, he looks like the same size as Amile and Amile is 6'7 without shoes.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#78 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:31 am

Tatum just putting on a show right now on ESPN. Great scoring, great rebounding, picking up the best offensive player every possession.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#79 » by Arsenal » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:35 am

Jayson Tatum is a superstar. So hoping we get him to finish out our Big 3 with Embiid/Simmons.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#80 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:38 am

Arsenal wrote:Jayson Tatum is a superstar. So hoping we get him to finish out our Big 3 with Embiid/Simmons.

He'd fit very well with those two.

Return to NBA Draft