Tyler Ulis

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

RationalGaze
Junior
And1: 63

Re: Tyler Ulis 

Post#21 » by RationalGaze » Wed May 11, 2016 10:35 pm

Fischella wrote:He is 5'10 in shoes, I think he looked taller than 5'9 this year, he also has a solid wingspan, he does look long in the court

And people still want to project him as a backup. Hope Memphis or the Spurs get him and add another 10-14lbs. of muscle to him by next year.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#22 » by doordoor123 » Thu May 12, 2016 12:48 pm

RationalGaze wrote:
Fischella wrote:He is 5'10 in shoes, I think he looked taller than 5'9 this year, he also has a solid wingspan, he does look long in the court

And people still want to project him as a backup. Hope Memphis or the Spurs get him and add another 10-14lbs. of muscle to him by next year.

I don't think he's a starter at all, but there is a very small chance he becomes very good. Bulls need someone like him, but I think 14 is a stretch. I think he's more of a 20s guy or very early 2nd round. I could see his stock falling only because other guys have their stock rising and it's hard to take a guy that's 5'10 in the first round. At the same time, the last time the draft was this weak Shane Larkin was drafted 18 overall and Ulis is much better than that.
cellar-door
Starter
And1: 1,095

Post#23 » by cellar-door » Thu May 12, 2016 7:38 pm

149 pounds!
That's 37 pounds lighter than Isaiah Thomas was at the same height at the 2011 combine and 32 pounds lighter than the shorter Nate Robinson in 2004.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by doordoor123 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:48 pm

cellar-door wrote:149 pounds!
That's 37 pounds lighter than Isaiah Thomas was at the same height at the 2011 combine and 32 pounds lighter than the shorter Nate Robinson in 2004.

Also with a 38 inch vert
RationalGaze
Junior

Post#25 » by RationalGaze » Thu May 12, 2016 7:51 pm

And?
Kid won SEC defensive player of the year at that kind of weight and that's the same conference Wade Baldwin played in for all the people wowing over his wingspan and supposed defense.
He'd be great for Memphis since they'll be rebuilding for 3 years in the least.
At 149lbs. he proved himself to be the best point this year. Looking forward to all the teams that pass on him and he beats all the players with all the physicals.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#26 » by darealjuice » Fri May 13, 2016 6:10 am

RationalGaze wrote:

And?
Kid won SEC defensive player of the year at that kind of weight and that's the same conference Wade Baldwin played in for all the people wowing over his wingspan and supposed defense.
At 149lbs. he proved himself to be the best point this year. Looking forward to all the teams that pass on him and he beats all the players with all the physicals.

That's great that he can win defensive awards against college players, but point guard is the premier position in the NBA. He just isn't going to be able to match up with the physicality of the point guards in the league right now unless he packs on at least a solid 20 pounds. I liked Ulis in college and think he has the skill to have a role on a NBA team, but there's no way he's going to see the court when he's going to be guarding an NBA-caliber point guard that is 5 inches taller and 50+ pounds heavier than him.
RationalGaze
Junior

Post#27 » by RationalGaze » Fri May 13, 2016 10:14 am

darealjuice wrote:
RationalGaze wrote:

And?

That's great that he can win defensive awards against college players, but point guard is the premier position in the NBA. He just isn't going to be able to match up with the physicality of the point guards in the league right now unless he packs on at least a solid 20 pounds. I liked Ulis in college and think he has the skill to have a role on a NBA team, but there's no way he's going to see the court when he's going to be guarding an NBA-caliber point guard that is 5 inches taller and 50+ pounds heavier than him.

Yeah it's pretty neat that a guy goes to a premiere college and where all the high school talent across the country gets condensed and still dominates the bigger competition at a higher level making difficult plays look easy every game. Kid defended awfully well against competition he's not supposed to and did it better than anyone else in the conference.
The kid puts on 20lbs of muscle and then what? He can all of a sudden do the things he's doing now? The muscle addition is going to help him with the Nba grind, but he can play for any open position until he gets the muscle added over the course of 24 months to ease anyone with thoughts of durability issues that might rise up.
Dragan, Ingram, Furkan, and Poeltl need more muscle, but are those guys just role players in the meantime? They can play regardless of their current weight as I see it and with more muscle an even higher level.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#28 » by EMG518 » Fri May 13, 2016 10:39 am

RationalGaze wrote:
darealjuice wrote:
RationalGaze wrote:And?

Yeah it's pretty neat that a guy goes to a premiere college and where all the high school talent across the country gets condensed and still dominates the bigger competition at a higher level making difficult plays look easy every game. Kid defended awfully well against competition he's not supposed to and did it better than anyone else in the conference.
The kid puts on 20lbs of muscle and then what? He can all of a sudden do the things he's doing now? The muscle addition is going to help him with the Nba grind, but he can play for any open position until he gets the muscle added over the course of 24 months to ease anyone with thoughts of durability issues that might rise up.
Dragan, Ingram, Furkan, and Poeltl need more muscle, but are those guys just role players in the meantime? They can play regardless of their current weight as I see it and with more muscle an even higher level.

He may not have played against 1 starting level nba point guard the entire year. Its college, not the NBA. The only one whom is even being considered in the 1st round is Baldwin. I am definitely on the skeptics side. He is less athletic than others that have played at his height and he is significantly smaller at 149lbs as well. I don't see it.
RationalGaze
Junior

Post#29 » by RationalGaze » Fri May 13, 2016 11:07 am

EMG518 wrote:
RationalGaze wrote:
darealjuice wrote:

He may not have played against 1 starting level nba point guard the entire year. Its college, not the NBA. The only one whom is even being considered in the 1st round is Baldwin. I am definitely on the skeptics side. He is less athletic than others that have played at his height and he is significantly smaller at 149lbs as well. I don't see it.

Neither did Kris Dunn unless you think Valentine is a point guard. Everyone knows it's college competition, but that doesn't discredit what the players do. College is the next step then the Nba. Ulis has quickness and speed that he has in full control. He doesn't explode to the basket, but the other 2 attributes will help him out constantly.
If anyone watched Baldwin you'd see easily he's not first round talent, but people love to forget what someone did in a season and just bring out the measuring stick. Lol players might as well skip college ball all together and get paid internationally. Ulis flat out balls and Baldwin doesn't.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#30 » by EMG518 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:55 am

RationalGaze wrote:
EMG518 wrote:
RationalGaze wrote:

Neither did Kris Dunn unless you think Valentine is a point guard. Everyone knows it's college competition, but that doesn't discredit what the players do. College is the next step then the Nba. Ulis has quickness and speed that he has in full control. He doesn't explode to the basket, but the other 2 attributes will help him out constantly.
If anyone watched Baldwin you'd see easily he's not first round talent, but people love to forget what someone did in a season and just bring out the measuring stick. Lol players might as well skip college ball all together and get paid internationally. Ulis flat out balls and Baldwin doesn't.

If one guy is arguing he doesn't believe a guy in college is going to be able to guard a NBA level point guard with his height, size, and athleticism and you point towards him guarding college kids that really doesn't help your case. TThe people he was playing against wont be in the league becasue they are not good enough and the defenses are different at the college level. Everything is stacked against him. There is not 1 player that size in the league. Not 1.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#31 » by darealjuice » Fri May 13, 2016 3:47 pm

RationalGaze wrote:
darealjuice wrote:
RationalGaze wrote:And?

Yeah because outside of Kentucky, the SEC is just filled to the brim with NBA talent these days right?

He puts on at least 20 pounds of muscle and he isn't going to be a rag doll on defense. You can act like size doesn't matter all you want, but it does. Point guards these days can just take him down in the post and go to work on him, he won't be able to do anything about it when they have at least 40 pounds on him and can just go right over the top of him. He needs to be a lot stronger to be able to compete against grown ass men at the deepest, most talented position in the league. Just about every single player he goes up against is going to be MUCH better, stronger, and faster than any of the point guards he went up against in the SEC. Every position on the court physically dominates him top to bottom, he's a defensive liability no matter what. There's a chance that he comes into the league as the least physically mature player in the entire league.

I don't get how you can compare Ulis's situation with Bender, Ingram, Korkmaz, or Poeltl. They are all players that are going to be able to compensate for their low weight with their height and length, which pretty obviously not a strength of Ulis.
cellar-door
Starter
And1: 1,095

Post#32 » by cellar-door » Fri May 13, 2016 4:17 pm

If Ulis is going to defend at the NBA level he'll need to put on a lot of muscle. He'll never be above average, it's just a product of size. If he gets stronger a team can hide him in their system like Stevens did with Thomas, but if not it'll just be post ups and forcing switches every possession. NBA teams are much better equipped to exploit size issues than College teams, and Ulis won't have the kind of quickness advantage he has against non-NBA level college guards.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#33 » by NuggetsWY » Fri May 13, 2016 5:03 pm

We all know there have been some very short players that have been successful in the NBA: Bouges & Iverson & many others. SOME find a way to do what everyone said they could not do. "Too thin" & "too light"? That's what they said about Kevin Durrant & Reggie Miller and many others. Are the odds against Ulis? Yes! Do I want him on my team? Not sure. Am I betting against him? NO WAY!!!
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,485

Post#34 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Fri May 13, 2016 5:52 pm

I'm not sure a guy who's 149 lbs can put on 20 lbs of muscle. He doesn't have the frame to carry that extra weight without sacrificing quickness.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#35 » by No-Man » Fri May 13, 2016 6:31 pm

Ulis is a long fibers guy, like Rondo or Curry, that meaning that even if he doesnt weigh much it doesnt mean that he has no strength, he is a lean guy, but he is all strength.

I expect him to be just fine, he projects as a plus defender actually.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:46 pm

Fischella wrote:Ulis is a long fibers guy, like Rondo or Curry, that meaning that even if he doesnt weigh much it doesnt mean that he has no strength, he is a lean guy, but he is all strength.

I expect him to be just fine, he projects as a plus defender actually.

Yeah, he's agressive, moves really well laterally, great center of gravity and uses his whole body to defend. He's also not the kind of defender that gambles too much. Like Chris Paul, he uses his smaller size to an advantage by seeing the ball at a different angle and pouncing with his good vertical to get balls thrown over him.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#37 » by Rockmaninoff » Fri May 13, 2016 6:46 pm

^ There just isn't much precedent for a player that small having success without bulk and elite athleticism.

What's the comparison here? TJ Ford?
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:56 pm

Rockmaninoff wrote:^ There just isn't much precedent for a player that small having success without bulk and elite athleticism.

What's the comparison here? TJ Ford?

His weight will be an issue in some cases, but he should be fine defending point guards because he's quick laterally (can stay in front of his man) and he could square up quickly. I think a lot of guys are going to think they could bully him and they're going to get charges. In terms of getting around screens, I think he's small, agile and quick enough to slip through a lot of them and he's quick enough to get moving screen calls. You know how Dellavedova sees where a guy goes before he gets there and takes a different route rather than going through the screen? Ulis does the same thing.
tedwilliams1999
Veteran
And1: 1,787

Post#39 » by tedwilliams1999 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:57 pm

There's just no way a team can afford to waste a first round pick on Ulis. He's got a uphill battle in front of him, if he's going to see any playing time in the NBA. The dude's a warrior and I love his game, so I'm not going to bet against him. The problem is that it's going to take him several years to pack on more weight and to adjust to the NBA game simultaneously. If he does end up finding some success in the NBA, chances are it won't happen on the team that drafted him. For that reason, I want my team to pass on him in the draft, but to look into signing him as a free agent in 2-3 years if he becomes available.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#40 » by Wizop » Fri May 13, 2016 8:59 pm

I'd rather try and sign Yogi Ferrell to a free agent tryout than to use a draft pick on Ulis.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to NBA Draft