2018 NBA Draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,952

Re: 2018 NBA Draft 

Post#1221 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Dec 9, 2017 7:58 pm

One guy I thought could be a sleeper last year was Moritz Wagner. Haven't seen Michigan play this year, but noticed his outside shooting numbers are a little lower, rebounding much better. Anyone else a fan of his NBA potential? I see him as like a 6th man, Kelly Olynyk type or a small ball 5 like Mareese Speights.
Tippy
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#1222 » by Tippy » Sat Dec 9, 2017 8:40 pm

Pacers fan here. Curious who some of the better perimeter defenders are to watch. I've watched some guys already (Mikal Bridges, Bruce Brown, Khyri Thomas) Who could be some other guys to watch?
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#1223 » by blazeyo » Sat Dec 9, 2017 8:53 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:One guy I thought could be a sleeper last year was Moritz Wagner. Haven't seen Michigan play this year, but noticed his outside shooting numbers are a little lower, rebounding much better. Anyone else a fan of his NBA potential? I see him as like a 6th man, Kelly Olynyk type or a small ball 5 like Mareese Speights.

I like Moritz Wagner. He is a good passer despite his low assist numbers, very cerebral, good shooting touch, has some nice post moves and counters and a good all-around college player no doubt.

Hard for me to project him as an NBA player though... kinda bad and stiff on defense, doesn't project to be a good rebounder, lacks length and has very low blk%.

I see him as a good player in the Euroleague, but as far as NBA goes he currently doesn't project to be much.
He looks more like Kaminsky or Jerebko to me rather than Speights and Olynyk.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#1224 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:17 am

Jackson in 26 minutes had 17 points, 13 rebounds, 5 blocks (on just 7 FGAs).

Looks like he's added himself into a top 6.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#1225 » by doordoor123 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:33 am

Tippy wrote:Pacers fan here. Curious who some of the better perimeter defenders are to watch. I've watched some guys already (Mikal Bridges, Bruce Brown, Khyri Thomas) Who could be some other guys to watch?

Love Khyri Thomas. He’s underrated for sure. Um Jacob Evans, LaGerald Vick, Matisse Thybulle, Charles Matthews, Shai Gilgous-Alexander, Hamidou Diallo, DeAnthony Melton, Jevonte Carter
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,801

Post#1226 » by yoyoboy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:17 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Jackson in 26 minutes had 17 points, 13 rebounds, 5 blocks (on just 7 FGAs).

Looks like he's added himself into a top 6.

Yeah I think Ayton, Bagley, and Doncic are basically locked into that top three. And then Porter Jr, Bamba, and Jackson Jr are pretty much givens for the next three spots.

It's still early though, so a lot can change I guess.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#1227 » by No-Man » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:23 pm

Best fits to me of the guys I like the most;

Luka; Chicago, huge market for him, strong POA defender that is figuring out his shooting in Dunn, solid shooting around him, solid bigs in RoLo and Felicio if he ever gets in shape again, Hoiberg is a good coach for him if he sticks

MPJ; Atlanta, they have nobody at the 4 going forward, could make a dynamic duo with Collins, really good mix for him with a guy that can carry the load in Schröder and he can help him opening the floor, some solid wing prospects that ensure that he plays as a 4 in Bazemore and Prince, super solid organization in terms of development.

Bagley; Sacramento, defensively they have some bigs that ideally could pair well with his weaknesses, WCS, Skal, maybe Giles, they would give him the ball to drive and finish, the only qualm is how he matches with Fox, but both like to attack and push.

Ayton; Phoenix, having a scoring Guard that can play PnR would make his life so easy, the bigs around him are perfect too, Bender esp but some stuff from Chriss, or smallball with Dudley-Jackson-Warren, solid situation for him.

Miles Bridges; gonna say Dallas, Carlisle would have no issue playing him at the 4 or interchanging with Barnes, playing off DSJ is ideal for him, great lob catcher in that role, can space the floor, Dallas runs motion which helps too.

Mikal Bridges; gonna say Memphis just cause with LeBron you never know, team that is going to want to compete, culture is perfect for him, will fit right in off-ball with Gasol and Conley and they need a longterm solution on the wing.

JJJ; probably of the remaining teams the Cavs esp if LeBron stays, can space the floor better than the other bigs, defensive instincts are way more advanced and on offense playing with James will help him tremendously.

Knox; easily Philly, put him on the Saric role, he can defend reasonably well already, the shooting looks solid and he is a ball mover, has more potential on D and attacking close-outs than Dario even if you lose some passing or IQ.

Bamba; the Clippers to me, Blake is likely gonna stay but Jordan might be gone, playing off Blake would be good for him, they have solid shooters and playmakers, gonna groom him to be a starting C and develop steadily.

Sexton; probably the Knicks to be honest, they have been historically bad at grooming Guards, but hey, Ntilikina can play the 2 long-term, they need someone that gets to the teeth of the defense, KP will help him tremendously and THJ can get some of the load while Frank and Sexton mature, or you can play the 3 at the same time since NY has no SFs.

Trae Young; Orlando, a risky bet for the Magic but at this point they have not much to lose, he can push the pace and shoot it, help to find guys like Gordon, take the ball away from Vuc&Fournier, elevate the offense.

Bruce Brown Jr.; Charlotte, they need perimeter depth in the worst way I don't think Brown is a PG but can run an offense from the bench, his duo with Monk would be really optimal, at worst I think he is gonna be a really strong defender that can pass some.

Robert Williams; Philly with their own pick, I doubt teams are gonna play Williams at C often so as a PF he needs to play with a big that can shoot, Embiid would be bananas for that, he also is smart and can pass, finish, really good anticipation off-ball, imagine him in the Amir Johnson role, can be insurance for Embiid and also play together at times.

Lonnie Walker IV; Phoenix with the Heat pick, if Booker is gonna have a huge usg going forward better to have a 3&D guard next to him, I am not sure how much can Walker do off-ball yet but the stroke is projectable, he has some intriguing physical tools and if he can defend ones he is about perfect for that, not really many more guys come to mind that fit that bill (Jevon Carter but you are not drafting him this high).

Dzanan Musa; Portland, solid story with intl prospects, need a wing that can shoot in the worst way possible, Dzanan has the confidence to at least take them from day 1, playing next to strong creators and around good defenders like Aminu, Harkless or Nurkic is ideal for him.

Those are my top15 guys at the moment.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#1228 » by Mr B » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:17 pm

I like Miles Bridges but he plays the same position as Barnes. Bridges is not a 4. I would say that Bamba, or Jackson would be better fits. Dallas need a big man and rim protector and someone to catch lobs.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#1229 » by No-Man » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:06 pm

Mr B wrote:I like Miles Bridges but he plays the same position as Barnes. Bridges is not a 4. I would say that Bamba, or Jackson would be better fits. Dallas need a big man and rim protector and someone to catch lobs.

Bridges is way better at catching lobs than Bamba or JJJ
I'd be tempted to select those but in the end to me Bridges been a wing trumps them both
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1230 » by Mr B » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:29 pm

Fischella wrote:
Mr B wrote:I like Miles Bridges but he plays the same position as Barnes. Bridges is not a 4. I would say that Bamba, or Jackson would be better fits. Dallas need a big man and rim protector and someone to catch lobs.

I'd be tempted to select those but in the end to me Bridges been a wing trumps them both

The Mavs biggest weakness is defense and rebounding. They are also lacking a dominant big. With Bamba or Jackson they would also have filled the two toughest positions to fill (PG and C). They already have a good wing in Barnes. Now if the Mavs end up with a pick between 6-10 and if Jackson is off the board (Bamba will certainly be gone) then I would look at Miles Bridges. Robert Williams would also have to be in consideration for the Mavs as well as Knox. Once you get past those first 5-6 players there’s a drop in talent so I’d just take the best player regardless of position and figure out how/where to play them later.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#1231 » by blazeyo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Fischella wrote:

Lol, you think Miles Bridges is going to be a consistent lob target in the PnR as a 4? ridiculous claim. oth Jackson and Bamba are going to be much better roll man bigs when it's all said and done. Miles Bridges athleticism allows him to be a decent lob target against college competition, but that's not going to be there in the NBA, and he isn't going to be used that way.

Both JJJ and Bamba are going to be a bigger threat as rollers with their length only.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#1232 » by doordoor123 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:07 pm

He’s definitely not a starting 4, unless it’s against smaller line-ups. But he is a back up 4 against small units.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1233 » by Mr B » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:08 pm

doordoor123 wrote:

He’s definitely not a starting 4, unless it’s against smaller line-ups. But he is a back up 4 against small units.

Just like Barnes.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#1234 » by doordoor123 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:10 pm

Mr B wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Just like Barnes.

In that sense, I guess, but other than that he’s nothing like him.
Mr B
RealGM

2018 NBA Draft 

Post#1235 » by Mr B » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:18 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Just like Barnes.

In that sense, I guess, but other than that he’s nothing like him.

I definitely get that, I’m just saying that the Mavs already have a wing that can play backup PF. Their needs are a starting C or PF that brings rebounding and defense. Only until the elite bigs are off the board would I consider drafting a wing if I’m the Mavs. And even if Bamba, and Jackson (or Ayton and Bagley) are off the board I’d still have to consider Robert Williams instead of Miles Bridges (again for the Mavs).
No-Man
RealGM

Post#1236 » by No-Man » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:39 am

blazeyo wrote:
Fischella wrote:

Lol, you think Miles Bridges is going to be a consistent lob target in the PnR as a 4? ridiculous claim. oth Jackson and Bamba are going to be much better roll man bigs when it's all said and done. Miles Bridges athleticism allows him to be a decent lob target against college competition, but that's not going to be there in the NBA, and he isn't going to be used that way.

Both JJJ and Bamba are going to be a bigger threat as rollers with their length only.

Of course not, he has a better feel and frame for it just now, it was an example against them more than towards Bridges been great at it, I think he can be used at times as such still though.

you are probably right, still that's a small part of the whole argument and I would draft Miles ahead of both for almost any team.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#1237 » by doordoor123 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:17 am

Fischella wrote:
blazeyo wrote:
Fischella wrote:Bridges is way better at catching lobs than Bamba or JJJ

Of course not, he has a better feel and frame for it just now, it was an example against them more than towards Bridges been great at it, I think he can be used at times as such still though.

you are probably right, still that's a small part of the whole argument and I would draft Miles ahead of both for almost any team.

The reason why I could understand that is because yes, Bamba and Jackson are valuable pieces to any winning team, just like Mikal Bridges. They’re valuable for what they do. At the same time, none of them really have the chance to be a featured player on offense. None of them are going to dominate the ball and control the game. Miles has the ability to potentially have the ball in his hands and make decisions that can impact how successful a team is. That in itself is really valuable with the gifts that he has. Ayton also has the ability to dominate the ball with the offensive versatility he has. I was talking about this in another post, but it’s a completementary peice versus a piece that can be the center of the offense. Miles has the ability to evolve into that over time with his passing if he can become a better shooter and create off the dribble.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1238 » by Mr B » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:25 am

doordoor123 wrote:
Fischella wrote:
blazeyo wrote:

The reason why I could understand that is because yes, Bamba and Jackson are valuable pieces to any winning team, just like Mikal Bridges. They’re valuable for what they do. At the same time, none of them really have the chance to be a featured player on offense. None of them are going to dominate the ball and control the game. Miles has the ability to potentially have the ball in his hands and make decisions that can impact how successful a team is. That in itself is really valuable with the gifts that he has. Ayton also has the ability to dominate the ball with the offensive versatility he has. I was talking about this in another post, but it’s a completementary peice versus a piece that can be the center of the offense. Miles has the ability to evolve into that over time with his passing if he can become a better shooter and create off the dribble.

I think Miles would be a great fit on the Mavs if Barnes wasn’t already there if if the plan was to trade Barnes. Even though they have different games they essentially will have the same impact on an offense. Barnes is more suited for a more half court, isolation style of offense and Miles might be suited for a more run and gun style. I know for a fact the Mavs prefer more of a running offense so that is where I could see them drafting Miles and moving Barnes. That still leaves them with a HUGE hole at PF/C though and their rebounding and defense would still be atrocious.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#1239 » by Chi town » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:17 am

Fischella wrote:Best fits to me of the guys I like the most;

Luka; Chicago, huge market for him, strong POA defender that is figuring out his shooting in Dunn, solid shooting around him, solid bigs in RoLo and Felicio if he ever gets in shape again, Hoiberg is a good coach for him if he sticks

With Dunn trending how do you see Luka and him fitting together?
No-Man
RealGM

Post#1240 » by No-Man » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:48 am

Chi town wrote:
Fischella wrote:Best fits to me of the guys I like the most;

With Dunn trending how do you see Luka and him fitting together?

Fine, Dunn is still not ideally a primary, so having Luka would help him a ton, Dunn's strong POA defense will help Luka also, the only issue is who defends star SFs but every team has that problem, you can solve it with a system, or eventually finding a stopper and having LaVine as a 6th man, who knows if he will be good enough as a starter or finding a stud defensive Center

And those are problems for the future, Chicago shouldn't worry about them too much.

Return to NBA Draft