Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Re: 2018 NBA Draft 

Post#1301 » by reanimator » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:40 pm

The-Power wrote:
reanimator wrote:I'll point out what I want and when I want.

Good for you, just don't expect me to not point out that posts like these are useless and dishonest given that you never took the time to actually address the points I made. Should be easy enough, no?

Even though I might regret it, I will try to emphasize my point yet again.

reanimator wrote:You reference a (non convincing) Eurobasket performance and a small sample of NBA games to validate claims for Markannen being some future offensive anchor (I think this is a fringe opinion) when I doubt your projection would've been similar 11 games in at Zona yet speak in an absolute way about 2 prospects who haven't even started their conference schedule.

To me, it would be much more of a fringe opinion to claim Bagley or Ayton are going to be offensive anchors or anything close to it. I wrote that Markkanen could potentially be the center of a good offense, yes. I'm not saying he will anchor one by himself with little offensive talent around him like the top-tier offensive players in the league, but I do believe Markkanen's skill-set can be used to built around it.

Re: Not even conference schedule yet. True, we have to wait and see. But I don't expect Ayton's and Bagley's skill-set to change drastically over the course of the season. They might very well improve, sure, but I still wouldn't believe you can actually built a good offense centered around these guys because they lack the necessary skill-set which I outlined several times by now.

Markkanen has the potential to be different, however. I'm the first to admit that I wouldn't have spoken this highly of Markkanen eleven games into last season. But, and here's the critical difference, Markkanen had at least one crucial ingredient for being a genuinely great offensive player: his potentially elite shooting ability for a big man. What he further needs to actually there is a good high post-game, the ability to drive and ideally playmaking skills on the move and/or out of the post. I didn't believe Markkanen would improve and show this much this quickly even though I really liked him as a prospect back then (had him roughly in the same spot I have Ayton and Bagley right now). But with him it was always a possibility that he developed an off-the-dribble attacking game and qualities in the high post – which looks brighter and more realistic by the day.

Now, I will say that Ayton and Bagley are equally likely to develop in these areas. Especially Bagley is probably going to end up being better at driving to the rim and handling the ball. The difference is that I still strongly doubt that this would make them elite offensive players because I doubt that players with their profile can be the clear center of a good NBA offense. This is nothing against these two players in particular and this has little to do with how well they do or could potentially do certain things on offense. This is merely my conclusion based on analyzing players and their offensive – and defensive – impact in the NBA for years now. They can still be good and very useful offensive players, though. I'm not denying that.

I'm a firm believer in profiling when it comes to scouting. As much as, or even more than, looking at the details of their skills I tend to look at how their style of play, their skill-set and their mentality is likely to be successful in the NBA and this assessment is predicated on studying actual NBA players. I might have a hard time filtering out the outliers who are so good that they defy common schemes but I'm willing to accept this if I can be more confident in my conclusions of the majority of players. And therefore I stand by my statement that they would both have to become good defenders to be worth drafting in the top 3 and thus far I have little faith in their ability to get there.

Re: Doncic and Markkanen as anchors of a good NBA offense. I sincerely hope we can re-visit this topic a couple years down the road. We won't get on the same page here since I believe Doncic is by far the best talent in this draft because of his offense (you are skeptical of him) and I believe Markkanen has the potential to become one of the best offensive big men in the league (you clearly don't share this opinion). So let's wait and see, hopefully the Bulls draft Doncic and pair him with Markkanen.

Ok, I really don't have an issue with this post and agree with the Bagley/Ayton assessments *atm* but evaluations are definitely fluid, for example, do you think your Mo Bamba evals prior to the season hold up? Do these players actually lack the skillsets needed or do we simply not have the data? There is a difference. I get that you can only project what prospects show you but its definitely important to keep in mind the sample size/competition level, role/opportunity + roster construction, and rate of development.

Doncic fans seem to have a good grasp of this any time his flaws are brought forth and I can't blame them given his rate of development. Likewise, Bagley has had a rapid rate of development. Ayton has a poor team fit IMO. Most teams are still playing cupcakes. If you don't think some of these prospects will look drastically different in the Spring then thats fine but I tend to agree with JustWar's point that some will look totally different. Its probably why I'm not antsy to release a big board til deep in conference play.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,549

Post#1302 » by Alatan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:34 am

Is Nicolas Batum a good comparison for Doncic? They are both smart guard forwards with a shooting and passing touch but limited athleticism. If not why?
Louri
Senior
And1: 351

Post#1303 » by Louri » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Ettorefm wrote:
reanimator wrote:
The-Power wrote:
Doncic and Markkanen would be a combo that would give you a good offense with not much else around them offensively in a couple years, simply because both can be elite offensive players and both games fit incredibly well.

The-Power wrote:In order to get the turn to the current draft prospects again: I simply do not see any way Bagley or Ayton can be the center of a good offense. They can be great complimentary pieces, sure, but neither one is a true building-block on offense.

The-Power wrote:In my eyes, Markkanen is a superior prospect to both Bagley and Ayton.

Idk what to even call this because its certainly past hot take territory.

How are any of his statements (besides the last one, which is pretty debateable) abusrd?

Ayton and Bagley are not alphas. They're not good enough to be the #1 option on any team, and that's fine.

Do I think that Markkanen is a superior prospect? Eeeh..i don't know. I love markkanen, but as a PROSPECT he certainly has a lower ceiling than both those guys.

Markkanen is playing great for the bulls, and the yshould envolve him more, but he'll never be the #1 player on any team hoping to win a championship. Probably will peak as a low-tier 2nd option (as in one of the worst 2nd options out of the 10 or so guys who are 2nd options), which is totally fine.

Ayton might be a bust or a star. Who knows? Also, as a prospect, MArkkanen had huge red flags. We had no idea he'd adjust so easily to the NBA, I thought he'd have to go through growing pains for two or so years before playing as comfortable as he's playing, so we have to judge the 3 players as prospects, before the draft.

Anyway, how is this hot take territory? It seems like you're the one trying to bring attention to yourself..

Markkanen is superior prospect. Before Arizona, Markkanen played in Finnish 2nd division against midgets there. Most of the European prospect that come from Europe, have played in their Euroleague team as a junior. Just like Doncic has played and trained in Real Madrid squad. Markkanen has come in just 2 years from that 2nd league to starting spot in NBA.

Most important thing is that he learns really fast. In first half of Arizona year, he couldn't guard any big men 'cause he had never played against them. He got reputation as a bad defender. Now against Knicks he did keep Porzingis in low scoring when he did guard him. Lauri even did block Porzingis almost without jumping. That is how much he has grown in just 1 year. If Lauri keeps healthy, he will be go to guy in Bulls, same as Porzingis is in Knicks.

Doncic would be nice fit to Bulls, since they have good chemistry with Markkanen immediately and he can make Lauri better. Ayton would be also good fit next to Markkanen. He is so damn athletic and fast. Bagley is worst fit, 'cause they play same position. Bagley can't play as 5 in NBA yet, he is not strong enough. They would still need to get good C to team.
"Larry Nance Jr is better than Lauri Markkanen" -RealGM 2021
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,039

Post#1304 » by Mr B » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:26 pm

If the Bulls draft Doncic I think he’ll be a great fit next to Markkanen on the offensive end however they may find themselves like the Mavs did when they had Nash/Dirk. Their two best players would also be their two worst defenders, which is not good if you’re trying to win an NBA title. Very exciting to watch, and will win a ton of regular season games but won’t be good enough on the defensive end to ultimately win in the playoffs.
janmagn
Starter
And1: 341

Re: RE: Re: 2018 NBA Draft 

Post#1305 » by janmagn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:34 pm

Mr B wrote:If the Bulls draft Doncic I think he’ll be a great fit next to Markkanen on the offensive end however they may find themselves like the Mavs did when they had Nash/Dirk. Their two best players would also be their two worst defenders, which is not good if you’re trying to win an NBA title. Very exciting to watch, and will win a ton of regular season games but won’t be good enough on the defensive end to ultimately win in the playoffs.
Neither one of them is a horrible defender... Nothing special but not guys who will get attacked constantly

Lähetetty minun LG-M250 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#1306 » by CP War Hawks » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:09 pm

The more I see Doncic, Mike Miller is what I compare with many similarities. He's obviously more talented and hopefully that will be his lowest floor.

In today's NBA, I would say maybe Klay with more ball handling, less defensive ability.
Ettorefm
Head Coach
And1: 5,260

Re: RE: Re: 2018 NBA Draft 

Post#1307 » by Ettorefm » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:16 pm

janmagn wrote:
Mr B wrote:If the Bulls draft Doncic I think he’ll be a great fit next to Markkanen on the offensive end however they may find themselves like the Mavs did when they had Nash/Dirk. Their two best players would also be their two worst defenders, which is not good if you’re trying to win an NBA title. Very exciting to watch, and will win a ton of regular season games but won’t be good enough on the defensive end to ultimately win in the playoffs.
Neither one of them is a horrible defender... Nothing special but not guys who will get attacked constantly

Lähetetty minun LG-M250 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

I don't know about Doncic, my problems with his athleticism are on offense...but Markkanen has been playing GREAT defense (for a rookie, which means he 's just average NBa-wise). I watch every bulls game and take notice of his defense because he's one of my main prospects in a keeper fantasy league.
bagsboy wrote:For two hundred years Democrats stole the productive output of slaves and now they seek to enrich themselves with the productive output from the 'rich'. First, Republicans needed to end slavery and next they need to fix taxation with a flat fair tax.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#1308 » by Hoopz Afrik » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:11 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:The more I see Doncic, Mike Miller is what I compare with many similarities. He's obviously more talented and hopefully that will be his lowest floor.

In today's NBA, I would say maybe Klay with more ball handling, less defensive ability.

I like the Mike Miller comparison a lot
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#1309 » by SportsGuy8 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:01 pm

Doncic is better at everything, except for maybe 3pt shooting. But yeah, there are similarities. Doncic is basically Mike Miller on steroids.

He's basically a mix of both Mike and Andre Miller, if you took both players' best attributes.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#1310 » by doordoor123 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:41 pm

SportsGuy8 wrote:Doncic is better at everything, except for maybe 3pt shooting. But yeah, there are similarities. Doncic is basically Mike Miller on steroids.

He's basically a mix of both Mike and Andre Miller, if you took both players' best attributes.

These Doncic comparisons make me want to poke my eyes out.
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#1311 » by SportsGuy8 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:24 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
SportsGuy8 wrote:Doncic is better at everything, except for maybe 3pt shooting. But yeah, there are similarities. Doncic is basically Mike Miller on steroids.

These Doncic comparisons make me want to poke my eyes out.

I really think that a mix of Mike and Andre Miller is actually very accurate. I have been saying for like 2 years that Doncic should end up being a 4-5 inches taller version of Andre Miller with a shot. If you throw some of Mike's characteristics into the mix, it's very close.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#1312 » by blazeyo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Doncic doesn't have an NBA comparison.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#1313 » by reanimator » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:53 pm

No player has a 1:1 comparison but I certainly understand the archetype people are trying to approximate by the players being listed.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#1314 » by No-Man » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:20 pm

Anfernee McLemore from Auburn isn't gonna declare but the guy is a stud
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#1315 » by The-Power » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:04 am

Fischella wrote:Anfernee McLemore from Auburn isn't gonna declare but the guy is a stud

I definitely have him on my list. Along with Kostas Antetokounmpo he's one of the guys who might just be so good physically and in terms of commitment that you can teach them enough about playing basketball so that they can have an impact even in the NBA. McLemore, however, is clearly further ahead in his development it seems.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#1316 » by PLO » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:48 am

Not watching this Villanova game and not sure who is guarding who but Mikal Bridges isn't having the best night and his nominal opponent Quinton Rose is having the opposite.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#1317 » by 916fan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:31 am

doordoor123 wrote:
Ettorefm wrote:
reanimator wrote:

Idk what to even call this because its certainly past hot take territory.

How are any of his statements (besides the last one, which is pretty debateable) abusrd?

Ayton and Bagley are not alphas. They're not good enough to be the #1 option on any team, and that's fine.

Do I think that Markkanen is a superior prospect? Eeeh..i don't know. I love markkanen, but as a PROSPECT he certainly has a lower ceiling than both those guys.

Markkanen is playing great for the bulls, and the yshould envolve him more, but he'll never be the #1 player on any team hoping to win a championship. Probably will peak as a low-tier 2nd option (as in one of the worst 2nd options out of the 10 or so guys who are 2nd options), which is totally fine.

Ayton might be a bust or a star. Who knows? Also, as a prospect, MArkkanen had huge red flags. We had no idea he'd adjust so easily to the NBA, I thought he'd have to go through growing pains for two or so years before playing as comfortable as he's playing, so we have to judge the 3 players as prospects, before the draft.

Anyway, how is this hot take territory? It seems like you're the one trying to bring attention to yourself..

Markkanen was an elite three point shooter at 7 feet, shooting off the catch, dribble and spot up. He was definitely a better prospect than most of these guys. I was up and down with Markkanen because I wasn’t sure if he would be a center or a power forward. His defense wasn’t good enough to be a center and he was soft. But I also suggested he seemed soft because he was away from the basket so much, hovering around the three point line. As an elite shooter with good size, it was hard to see him failing. To me Ayton is a worse prospect, but Bagley is about the same. Bagley has some tools that will translate right away and make him successful, like his passing, rebounding and post game. Ayton looks like he needs a lot of work. I did a mock on a piece of paper and have Ayton around 8. I keep trying to sell myself on him, but I honestly think there are 7 better prospects in this draft. I’m also not too high on Bagley though — I have him 6.

I think it's a bit absurd you think Markkanen was a better prospect than Ayton at the same age....but ok... I don't think there are 7 players better than him either.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#1318 » by Catchall » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:14 am

blazeyo wrote:Doncic doesn't have an NBA comparison.

He's actually comparable in many ways to James Harden.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,482

Post#1319 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:31 am

10/10/9 for Troy brown. favorite player from this class. would be an awesome replacement for melo on my knicks
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#1320 » by Kolkmania » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:17 am

3toheadmelo wrote:10/10/9 for Troy brown. favorite player from this class. would be an awesome replacement for melo on my knicks

At times I lurk at the Knicks board, so I know you're his biggest homer. What do you think of his perimeter defense? I haven't been able to see Oregon play much, and although I like Brown's activity but he seems slower laterally than I thought he was.

I absolutely believe in his shooting mechanics, that 29% from three will rise eventually.

Return to NBA Draft