Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,124

Re: 2018 NBA Draft 

Post#1961 » by The-Power » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:44 pm

peZt wrote:
kuclas wrote:If by some miracle (like 2014 nba lottery where Cleveland jumped like 8 slots in the nba staff from 9 to 1.

Wonder if the sixers get the number overall 1 (from lakers (2-5 for Celtics). If sixers get the number 1. Do they draft Deandre Ayton and trade Joel Embiid?? Cause they cannot co exist together.

Trade down a couple spots and pick JJJ, Bagley or some of the other guys that fit well with their current group. Or maybe even trade down further and draft Mikal Bridges.
But you never ever trade Embiid

Yeah. Embiid is their key to a championship. You don't trade that key under any normal circumstances and much less for an unproven draft prospect who's chances of ever sniffing at Embiid's impact are miniscule. And that's nothing against Ayton, but Embiid plays close to MVP level when he's on the court – that's just something you can't expect from any prospect, not even the no-brainer 1st picks like AD.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,930

Post#1962 » by kuclas » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:09 pm

The-Power wrote:
peZt wrote:
kuclas wrote:If by some miracle (like 2014 nba lottery where Cleveland jumped like 8 slots in the nba staff from 9 to 1.

Wonder if the sixers get the number overall 1 (from lakers (2-5 for Celtics). If sixers get the number 1. Do they draft Deandre Ayton and trade Joel Embiid?? Cause they cannot co exist together.

Trade down a couple spots and pick JJJ, Bagley or some of the other guys that fit well with their current group. Or maybe even trade down further and draft Mikal Bridges.
But you never ever trade Embiid

Yeah. Embiid is their key to a championship. You don't trade that key under any normal circumstances and much less for an unproven draft prospect who's chances of ever sniffing at Embiid's impact are miniscule. And that's nothing against Ayton, but Embiid plays close to MVP level when he's on the court – that's just something you can't expect from any prospect, not even the no-brainer 1st picks like AD.

You are correct. Trading Embiid is too risky since they have so much vested in his already. And Embiid is a proven All star entity are this point (likely 2nd team all NBA center this year). So even with the injury risks, keep Embiid.

Most likely the Sixers get the 11/12th pick of the Lakers. I can only dream.

Now if the Grizzlies get the number 1 overall pick, than trading Marc Gasol makes more sense cause he's much older and on the decline.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#1963 » by The-Power » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:13 pm

kuclas wrote:Now if the Grizzlies get the number 1 overall pick, than trading Marc Gasol makes more sense cause he's much older and on the decline.

I'd definitely draft Doncic for the Grizzlies. He fits there extremely well immediately and is paired with great leaders on a competitive team – exactly the situation Doncic should be thriving in.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,227

Post#1964 » by doordoor123 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:44 pm

De’Andre Hunter broke his hand. I think he’s going to return next year, which is probably a good idea. Could be a lottery pick next year.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#1965 » by GimmeDat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:57 am

doordoor123 wrote:De’Andre Hunter broke his hand. I think he’s going to return next year, which is probably a good idea. Could be a lottery pick next year.

Damn, really wanted to see Hunter come out.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#1966 » by No-Man » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:59 am

He was never coming out, even had he stayed healthy
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#1967 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:45 pm

Kevin Knox/Jeff Green comparison is pretty solid. Green was a better defender though.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#1968 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:46 am

Syracuse has one of the slowest pace team in the league and I think Tyus Battle is more fit for a fast pace offense. Think he can be better in the NBA.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#1969 » by RipCity71252 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:18 am

Wendell Carter worries me defensively. People talk about his IQ/positioning being pretty good but I think its overrated and has a lot of athletic quirks that I think will be exposed in the nba.

I know I said the opposite a couple days ago, but I think between he and Jontay, Jontay has a better chance to play pf minutes vs traditional lineups. Similar to Zach Randolph athletically.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#1970 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:29 pm

This Oklahoma team is so freaking bad. Their players have no awareness. I don’t know how their fans have faith in them, I root for them to win all the time, but they make so many stupid decisions it’s ridiculous. Trey Young is really doing everything for that team.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#1971 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:34 pm

RipCity71252 wrote:Wendell Carter worries me defensively. People talk about his IQ/positioning being pretty good but I think its overrated and has a lot of athletic quirks that I think will be exposed in the nba.

I know I said the opposite a couple days ago, but I think between he and Jontay, Jontay has a better chance to play pf minutes vs traditional lineups. Similar to Zach Randolph athletically.

Jontay is more of a power forward and Carter is more of a center. But I admit it’s going to be a struggle for Carter defensively. Unless he’s on a super young team he’s more likely a back up until he learns how to play defense. If he never learns how to play defense he’s a high level back up. Nikola Vucevic is still starting though, so it isn’t out of the question he starts even if he can’t defend. Centers that can’t defend usually defend better with a quick shot blocker like Porzingis does with Kanter as long as they’re good rebounders.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1972 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:00 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
RipCity71252 wrote:Wendell Carter worries me defensively. People talk about his IQ/positioning being pretty good but I think its overrated and has a lot of athletic quirks that I think will be exposed in the nba.

Jontay is more of a power forward and Carter is more of a center. But I admit it’s going to be a struggle for Carter defensively. Unless he’s on a super young team he’s more likely a back up until he learns how to play defense. If he never learns how to play defense he’s a high level back up. Nikola Vucevic is still starting though, so it isn’t out of the question he starts even if he can’t defend. Centers that can’t defend usually defend better with a quick shot blocker like Porzingis does with Kanter as long as they’re good rebounders.

I've seen Carter look bad on defense in several games, but... I'm not down on his defensive potential - same with Bagley. Duke is one of the top 10 teams in the nation (out of 350ish) in defensive efficiency, and that can't happen if both bigs aren't doing anything right. It's not an Okafor or Vucevic situation - Carter does have the quickness and agility to improve his footwork. And he also has the length and strength. He just needs coaching and experience, imo. Not saying he'll be as good as Horford, but Horford's been a similar athlete who gradually got better and better defensively.

On Jontay, this may sound nuts, but if anyone remembers Tim Duncan as a freshman at Wake Forest, he was considerably smaller then when he was in the NBA. Jontay's still growing, and he could end up being almost Duncan sized in a few years. Duncan played a lot of PF in the NBA, but in today's NBA, he'd likely be a center - first and foremost. Jontay may start out playing PF, but ultimately I think he's a center. I think he's the most fascinating player in the draft.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,403

Post#1973 » by SeattleJazzFan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:53 pm

doordoor123 wrote:This Oklahoma team is so freaking bad. Their players have no awareness. I don’t know how their fans have faith in them, I root for them to win all the time, but they make so many stupid decisions it’s ridiculous. Trey Young is really doing everything for that team.

so incredibly frustrating to watch. like clockwork, they (including young) are falling apart again in the last 10 minutes.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#1974 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:50 am

This might sound crazy, but I think the Bucks would be smart to trade Jabari Parker for a top 5 pick in this draft. If they can get Jackson or Bamba it would really help them. And they could also probably get more out of it. Jabari is really good and can get better, but hes been injured almost every year and he doesn’t fit next to Giannis Antetokounmpo because neither of them can shoot threes and both are ball-dominant. I also think this is the perfect time to trade for him because you don’t really know what you’re going to get. He could play again next year and get injured because it seems to be tradition for him and any Simeon player.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,819

Post#1975 » by eminence » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:05 am

doordoor123 wrote:This might sound crazy, but I think the Bucks would be smart to trade Jabari Parker for a top 5 pick in this draft. If they can get Jackson or Bamba it would really help them. And they could also probably get more out of it. Jabari is really good and can get better, but hes been injured almost every year and he doesn’t fit next to Giannis Antetokounmpo because neither of them can shoot threes and both are ball-dominant. I also think this is the perfect time to trade for him because you don’t really know what you’re going to get. He could play again next year and get injured because it seems to be tradition for him and any Simeon player.

I see no way Jabari is worth a top 5 pick.
I bought a boat.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect

Post#1976 » by RipCity71252 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:38 pm

I think this draft class as a whole disappoints when we look back at it in 5-7 years. Last year's class was better IMO and as much as I disliked the depth, it blows this year out of the water in the 15-45 range.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#1977 » by The-Power » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:45 pm

RipCity71252 wrote:I think this draft class as a whole disappoints when we look back at it in 5-7 years. Last year's class was better IMO and as much as I disliked the depth, it blows this year out of the water in the 15-45 range.

You disliked the depth of last year's draft class??
NDave79
Sixth Man
And1: 1,348

Post#1978 » by NDave79 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:09 pm

eminence wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:This might sound crazy, but I think the Bucks would be smart to trade Jabari Parker for a top 5 pick in this draft. If they can get Jackson or Bamba it would really help them. And they could also probably get more out of it. Jabari is really good and can get better, but hes been injured almost every year and he doesn’t fit next to Giannis Antetokounmpo because neither of them can shoot threes and both are ball-dominant. I also think this is the perfect time to trade for him because you don’t really know what you’re going to get. He could play again next year and get injured because it seems to be tradition for him and any Simeon player.

I see no way Jabari is worth a top 5 pick.

Plus, isn't he a free agent.

If it's possible, I'm going to start trying to figure out how the Bulls can trade Lavine on draft night.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 976

Post#1979 » by Waynearchetype » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:39 pm

The-Power wrote:
RipCity71252 wrote:I think this draft class as a whole disappoints when we look back at it in 5-7 years. Last year's class was better IMO and as much as I disliked the depth, it blows this year out of the water in the 15-45 range.

Seriously. So many players outside of the lottery are getting big minutes this year.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect

Post#1980 » by RipCity71252 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:41 pm

The-Power wrote:

In the 15-45 range, yes. But more in the sense of potential sleeper starters. Too many bigs. Good amount of rotation level talent, but not a lot of guys that I was particularly a big fan of.

The more I research the draft though, the more I've become aware of my biases. Biggest one for me is better separating out my enjoyment of watching a guy play / stylistic preferences, from the evaluation of their tools and production and how that translates to the NBA.

Return to NBA Draft