Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,489

Re: Rowan Barrett Jr., best 16 years old player in the World 

Post#61 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:24 am

I think he looks like a good prospect but Im not seeing a surefire star from him. To be honest not really a big fan of anyone in this class except for Zion's athleticism. Bol Bol is really long but I actually think he has bust written all over him when he gets to the NBA. Dont know why but I just think he is going to have a hard time sticking in the league. I know that is a big thing to say and probably will be sig worthy in a bad way in a few years, just how I see him.

Reddish has major character and work ethic concerns. I also think hes a solid prospect but lacking the explosiveness and motor to be a star. There are 0 PGs in this draft that I think are Lotto worthy. I really like Tre Jones as a college player but think hes going to have a hard time in the league just like his brother. I think Zion is going to be the clear #1 guy by the time the draft roles around and to me the class is looking pretty weak.
crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#62 » by crazy_me_87 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:41 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I think he looks like a good prospect but Im not seeing a surefire star from him.

Could you point to why? I'm curious.
Derento
Junior
And1: 114

Post#63 » by Derento » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:35 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I think he looks like a good prospect but Im not seeing a surefire star from him. To be honest not really a big fan of anyone in this class except for Zion's athleticism. Bol Bol is really long but I actually think he has bust written all over him when he gets to the NBA. Dont know why but I just think he is going to have a hard time sticking in the league. I know that is a big thing to say and probably will be sig worthy in a bad way in a few years, just how I see him.

Reddish has major character and work ethic concerns. I also think hes a solid prospect but lacking the explosiveness and motor to be a star. There are 0 PGs in this draft that I think are Lotto worthy. I really like Tre Jones as a college player but think hes going to have a hard time in the league just like his brother. I think Zion is going to be the clear #1 guy by the time the draft roles around and to me the class is looking pretty weak.

What's Reddish's Character and Work ethic concerns? For someone so skilled I would be surprised he would have these problems.
Bol Bol one the best shooting 7fts I've seen in a while so just based on that he has a pretty solid floor.
Derento
Junior
And1: 114

Post#64 » by Derento » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:37 pm

From what I've seen and read It seems to me Reddish is by far most versatile defender out of the top prospects in 2018 recruiting class. Plus he's well rounded in everything so he would be my 1 this class.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#65 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:54 pm

Derento wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I think he looks like a good prospect but Im not seeing a surefire star from him. To be honest not really a big fan of anyone in this class except for Zion's athleticism. Bol Bol is really long but I actually think he has bust written all over him when he gets to the NBA. Dont know why but I just think he is going to have a hard time sticking in the league. I know that is a big thing to say and probably will be sig worthy in a bad way in a few years, just how I see him.

What's Reddish's Character and Work ethic concerns? For someone so skilled I would be surprised he would have these problems.
Bol Bol one the best shooting 7fts I've seen in a while so just based on that he has a pretty solid floor.

I've heard a lot of rumblings of how entitled Reddish is. Heard he was pretty much unbearable on the USA team. Don't get me wrong he is super skilled and versatile, I've just heard a lot of rumblings about his character already which is definitely not a great sign.

I agree Bol Bol has a great shooting touch, I honestly have nothing to really point to either than my gut for how I feel about him.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#66 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:14 pm

crazy_me_87 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I think he looks like a good prospect but Im not seeing a surefire star from him.

He seems like a jack of all trades to me and master of none. I question how consistent of a scorer he will be in the half court. Don't get me wrong the dude has shown a ton of potential like in the game against USA. I've also seen plenty of games where up against a legit athlete he looks average though. I think his lack of a consistent jumper and average to below average handles also also hurts his consistency in scoring in the half court.

I'm in no way calling him a bust, I think he's going to be a legit prospect. But as of right now I'm not seeing a surefire star or a guy with a ridiculously high ceiling either. I just don't see anything elite about his game yet.

For me the elite prospects usually have something elite that their game is kind of built around and that kind of allows them to fall back on that thing when the competition gets better. Lonzo and Simmons with their passing, Porter with his combination of athleticism and shooting, DSJ with his athleticism and ability to run PnR, Tatum with his footwork and scoring, Bamba with his length and rim protection and so on. So again I don't see that elite thing Barrett's game is built around and I think this is what leads to his inconsistencies when going up against top athletes and size.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#67 » by nolang1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:13 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
crazy_me_87 wrote:

He seems like a jack of all trades to me and master of none. I question how consistent of a scorer he will be in the half court. Don't get me wrong the dude has shown a ton of potential like in the game against USA. I've also seen plenty of games where up against a legit athlete he looks average though. I think his lack of a consistent jumper and average to below average handles also also hurts his consistency in scoring in the half court.

I'm in no way calling him a bust, I think he's going to be a legit prospect. But as of right now I'm not seeing a surefire star or a guy with a ridiculously high ceiling either. I just don't see anything elite about his game yet.

For me the elite prospects usually have something elite that their game is kind of built around and that kind of allows them to fall back on that thing when the competition gets better. Lonzo and Simmons with their passing, Porter with his combination of athleticism and shooting, DSJ with his athleticism and ability to run PnR, Tatum with his footwork and scoring, Bamba with his length and rim protection and so on. So again I don't see that elite thing Barrett's game is built around and I think this is what leads to his inconsistencies when going up against top athletes and size.

I don't think Barrett has much worse footwork than Tatum (especially if we're talking incoming high school senior Tatum). Or at least Barrett's footwork is largely used to drive to the basket whereas Tatum's is used to generate mid-range jumpers.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#68 » by mojo13 » Fri Sep 1, 2017 6:25 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
crazy_me_87 wrote:

I see where you are coming from but consider most of what we have seen from him in the last couple years has been him competing against kids 1-3 years older (it is the Shabazz Mohammed inverse). That might be muting your perspective on his strength and athleticism somewhat. He seems to up his game in big situations against better talent. The 38 he dropped on the USA was a bit of a "oh $hit!" moment for me. He dominated every player the USA threw at him. To me what stands out is his total package - offense, defense, IQ, passing, he played PG for Canada for long most of the game against the USA because Canada's PG was hurt. Yes he has allot to work on - who doesn't as a young 17 year old? I share your concerns that I don't see a worldly elite talent yet - but I am not sure that is necessary. Sort of reminds me of a Paul Pierce type player. Not a flashy player, but insanely consistent, efficient, smart no meaningful weakness.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#69 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Sep 1, 2017 6:42 pm

mojo13 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
crazy_me_87 wrote:

I see where you are coming from but consider most of what we have seen from him in the last couple years has been him competing against kids 1-3 years older (it is the Shabazz Mohammed inverse). That might be muting your perspective on his strength and athleticism somewhat. He seems to up his game in big situations against better talent. The 38 he dropped on the USA was a bit of a "oh $hit!" moment for me. He dominated every player the USA threw at him. To me what stands out is his total package - offense, defense, IQ, passing, he played PG for Canada for long most of the game against the USA because Canada's PG was hurt. Yes he has allot to work on - who doesn't as a young 17 year old? I share your concerns that I don't see a worldly elite talent yet - but I am not sure that is necessary. Sort of reminds me of a Paul Pierce type player. Not a flashy player, but insanely consistent, efficient, smart no meaningful weakness.

I do want to clarify that I like him as a prospect, I think he's a good prospect. But when I think of what a #1 prospect or surefire prospect should be, I don't think he falls under that category. For instance if I was comparing him as a prospect compared to the guys in the 2018 draft class. I got him behind Bagley, Porter, Ayton and Bamba. To me those guys all have elite skills or attributes to fall back on and to me all have really high ceilings. While to me Barrett is a good prospect (no doubt a top 10 in any draft) just not as exciting as most top prospects. I actually think he's similar to say Wendell Carter. I think a really solid prospect with whoever drafts him is probably going to be really happy. I could even see him making a couple all Star teams. But I just don't see that elite level like I see with the other guys I mentioned.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#70 » by reanimator » Fri Sep 1, 2017 8:33 pm

Derento wrote:From what I've seen and read It seems to me Reddish is by far most versatile defender out of the top prospects in 2018 recruiting class. Plus he's well rounded in everything so he would be my 1 this class.

Yeah, I gotta say Barrett Jr and Reddish are far ahead of Zion for me. Also think Quentin Grimes has lotto potential and a guy like Nassir Little is rapidly improving.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#71 » by nolang1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:04 pm

He's announcing his commitment in an hour. Duke, Kentucky, and Oregon are the final three.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#72 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:18 pm

DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,331

Post#73 » by DK-All Day » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:20 pm

How is Coach K always getting the best recruits every year? Hot damn!
Handsome.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#74 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:22 pm

DK-All Day wrote:How is Coach K always getting the best recruits every year? Hot damn!

Now theyre going all out to try and land Zion. A class of RJ/Zion/Cam/Tre would be freaking ridiculous. Doubt they can land Zion though. But I cant wait to see Cam and RJ together with Tre running point. What a class so far.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,356

Post#75 » by CptCrunch » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:49 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
DK-All Day wrote:How is Coach K always getting the best recruits every year? Hot damn!

Now theyre going all out to try and land Zion. A class of RJ/Zion/Cam/Tre would be freaking ridiculous. Doubt they can land Zion though. But I cant wait to see Cam and RJ together with Tre running point. What a class so far.

Jones
Barrett
Reddish
Possibly Zion
Bolden

I'm sure at least 15 NBA teams would trade their roster for Duke's 2018 roster.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#76 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:52 pm

paulbball wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Jones
Barrett
Reddish
Possibly Zion
Bolden

I'm sure at least 15 NBA teams would trade their roster for Duke's 2018 roster.

Give me Javin over Bolden and that is my dream lineup. Just crazy versatility 2-5 and the perfect PG with Tre to run that offense. Ive never been the biggest Bolden fan, either than being really long I dont think hes really good at anything still. Javin is the better rebounder/defender/athlete and has a potential jump shot. Bolden would be the perfect big to come in and show some size and strength for 20 minutes.

What I would do to see Zion choose Duke haha.
akhan786
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#77 » by akhan786 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:21 am

As a Duke fan, to be honest I'm not as convinced as everyone else on Zion. I think he's going to struggle against better competition.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,187

Post#78 » by clyde21 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:35 am

Why is this guy considered the #1 prospect? Zion looks much more impressive. Granted it's only highlights but still.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,356

Post#79 » by CptCrunch » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:53 am

clyde21 wrote:Why is this guy considered the #1 prospect? Zion looks much more impressive. Granted it's only highlights but still.

Barrett killed Team USA as someone who just turned 17 weeks before tourney, played a bunch of players from 2017 and 2016 class plus some top 2018 players.

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2017/0807/Canada-USA#|tab=boxscore_statistics

Edit: Here is a list of players with their rank, listed by their minutes played. Team USA mostly got top 20 player along with some super old almost 19 year olds from 2016.

PJ Washington - 2017 #12
Carsen Edwards - 2016 #88
Cam Reddish - 2018 #3
Austin Riley - 2016 #17
Payton Prichard - 2016 #54
Hamidou Diallo - 2017 #11
Immanuel Quickley - 2018 #12
Louis King - 2018 #21
Kevin Huerter - 2016 #49
Brandon McCoy - 2017 #16
Josh Okogie - 2016 NR (16/5 at Georgia Tech/ACC as a true freshmen, was super old at almost 19)

Zion has the body of a NFL player with the athleticism of LeBron. Him clowning on high school kids isn't as impressive.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,617

Post#80 » by UcanUwill » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:38 pm

clyde21 wrote:Why is this guy considered the #1 prospect? Zion looks much more impressive. Granted it's only highlights but still.

I watched him quite a bit in U19 and was blown away. And he was 17.

Return to NBA Draft