Who's better: Josh Jackson or Andrew Wiggins?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Who's the better prospect: Josh Jackson or Andrew Wiggins?

Josh Jackson
54%
Andrew Wiggins
46%

Total votes: 228

Johnny Be Goode
Freshman
And1: 29

Re: Who's better: Josh Jackson or Andrew Wiggins? 

Post#121 » by Johnny Be Goode » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:59 pm

Josh looks otherwise like a fantastic prospect. He has basically everything but his shot seems to be broken. Should we be concerned that this is another MKG case? (56FT% and 25 3P%)

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/josh-jackson-2.html
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#122 » by Mulhollanddrive » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:59 am

Would you consider this similar to how Jackson projects?

17 Points, 9 Rebounds, 4 Assists
50% 2PT, 29% 3PT, 65% FT

That's peak Josh Smith.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#123 » by ItsThatEasy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:03 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Would you consider this similar to how Jackson projects?

50% 2PT, 29% 3PT, 65% FT

That's peak Josh Smith.

If you factor in that he won't take as many 3's as Smith then yes. He's too smart of a player to jack up shots he's not good at. And I believe his peak FT% will be a tad higher than 65% also.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,788

Post#124 » by Upperclass » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:02 pm

He's Gerald Wallace 2.0 15/16ppg, 6rbdge, 1blk, 1.5/2 stls, 44% fg, 31%3pt type guy
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#125 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:44 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:

50% 2PT, 29% 3PT, 65% FT

That's peak Josh Smith.

If you factor in that he won't take as many 3's as Smith then yes. He's too smart of a player to jack up shots he's not good at. And I believe his peak FT% will be a tad higher than 65% also.

11 percent of Smith's fga in Atlanta were threes. I guarantee Jackson will take that many if not more. Smith took more deep twos than threes.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#126 » by ItsThatEasy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:46 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:

50% 2PT, 29% 3PT, 65% FT

That's peak Josh Smith.

11 percent of Smith's fga in Atlanta were threes. I guarantee Jackson will take that many if not more. Smith took more deep twos than threes.

Thanks for the correction. In this scenario my statement regarding him not taking shots he's poor at still rings true. He's not a long-2 guy in general from what I've seen.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#127 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:57 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:

Thanks for the correction. In this scenario my statement regarding him not taking shots he's poor at still rings true. He's not a long-2 guy in general from what I've seen.

It'll be very difficult for him to be effective on offense as a SF while taking such few shots outside of 15 feet. That's very rare these days.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#128 » by GimmeDat » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:12 am

He is very MKG-esque, but I'd say his shot is a lot more fixable, plus he has his ball handling and facilitating skills. That's a high impact prospect.
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#129 » by guille_4 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:07 pm

GimmeDat wrote:He is very MKG-esque, but I'd say his shot is a lot more fixable, plus he has his ball handling and facilitating skills. That's a high impact prospect.

I've never seen him play but his numbers look more MKG-esque than Wiggins-esque.

He must have a lot of intangibles and be a good defender. It's surprising to see a SF ranked so high with such poor 3PT and FT percentages (52,9% FT% and 26,7% 3PT%).

His playmaking abilities don't really show up in the boxscore. 3,1 assists @ 2,3 TOs.
tsmith
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#130 » by tsmith » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:27 pm

guille_4 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:He is very MKG-esque, but I'd say his shot is a lot more fixable, plus he has his ball handling and facilitating skills. That's a high impact prospect.

I've never seen him play but his numbers lookmore MKG-esque than Wiggins-esque.

He must have a lot of intangibles and be a good defender. It's surprising to see a SF ranked so high with such poor 3PT and FT percentages (52,9% FT% and 26,7% 3PT%).

His playmaking abilities don't really show up in the boxscore. 3,1 assists @ 2,3 TOs.

Cant really make such brass calls after admitting you've never even seen him play...
guille_4
Sixth Man

Post#131 » by guille_4 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:45 pm

t_smith979 wrote:
guille_4 wrote:

Cant really make such brass calls after admitting you've never even seen him play...

Calls? Either you have the reading comprehension of a 6 year old or you have misread me.

I'm not making any calls.
tsmith
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#132 » by tsmith » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:57 pm

guille_4 wrote:
t_smith979 wrote:
guille_4 wrote:

Calls? Either you have the reading comprehension of a 6 year old or you have misread me.

Is calling him 'MKG-esque' not a call???
BillyKingGM
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#133 » by BillyKingGM » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:40 pm

I'd say this question is a bit of a misnomer.

I think Wiggins had the higher ceiling when he was a prospect, but now I think his ceiling has to have been adjusted based on what we've seen...

So, I think Josh Jacksons apparent ceiling now is higher than Wiggins current apparent ceiling, but theres a damn good chance JJ takes the same hit to his apparent ceiling when he enters the NBA, just like Wiggins has. Though personally, I do prefer JJ due to his defensive abilities.
guille_4
Sixth Man

Post#134 » by guille_4 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:16 pm

t_smith979 wrote:
guille_4 wrote:
t_smith979 wrote:Cant really make such brass calls after admitting you've never even seen him play...

Is calling him 'MKG-esque' not a call???

I never called him MKG-esque. I said that his numbers look more MKG-esque than Wiggins-esque.

The subject of the sentence is 'Josh Jackson's numbers' not 'Josh Jackson'.
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,878

Post#135 » by Zeitgeister » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:25 pm

guille_4 wrote:

I've never seen him play but his numbers look more MKG-esque than Wiggins-esque.

Per 40

Andrew Wiggins
20.8 ppg (.563 TS%) 7.1 rpg, 1.9 apg, 1.4 spg, 1.2 bpg

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
15.3 ppg (.570 TS%) 9.5 rpg, 2.4 apg, 1.3 spg, 1.2 bpg

Josh Jackson
21.9 ppg (.556 TS%) 9.1 rpg, 4.3 apg, 2.2 spg, 2.1 bpg

Jackson looks noticeably better than both of them, especially as a playmaker and gets considerably more steals and blocks than Wiggins and MKG.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,669

Post#136 » by Kolkmania » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:55 pm

BillyKingGM wrote:I'd say this question is a bit of a misnomer.

I think Wiggins had the higher ceiling when he was a prospect, but now I think his ceiling has to have been adjusted based on what we've seen...

So, I think Josh Jacksons apparent ceiling now is higher than Wiggins current apparent ceiling, but theres a damn good chance JJ takes the same hit to his apparent ceiling when he enters the NBA, just like Wiggins has. Though personally, I do prefer JJ due to his defensive abilities.

I don't think the chances are equal. Andrew Wiggins was all about potential, due to his athleticism, wingspan and age. Josh Jackson has a much higher floor in my opinion. Even if he's never going to hit the 3 at ~33%, he'll contribute with his rebounding, playmaking, hustle plays and defensive versatility.

To be fair, they're nothing alike. The whole comparison is made because they both play(ed) for Kansas.
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#137 » by jrob23 » Sun Jan 1, 2017 12:02 am

Josh Jackson is about as elite a defender as you can find. His BBIQ is world's better than Wiggins. That said, you have to consider that Wiggins is only about 70% the player he'll end up being. Eventually I expect a much better defender and about a DeRozan type offensive player. Kid's not even 22 y/o. He's as good as Kobe was at the same age. Jimmy Butler was getting 8 mpg as a 22 y/o lol. Wiggins has superstar potential. He was a much better prospect than Jackson.

I don't think Jackson will ever be a great scorer in the NBA. If he gives you 16 ppg 8 rpg 5 apg with lockdown defense than he's worth a high pick though. And that's just in his early years. Prime years and he could reach 20 ppg. It's just as easy to win with guys like Jackson as it is Wiggins so neither is necessarily the definitively better option. Jackson could be a taller Avery Bradley. Since AB is a quasi all star and DPOY candidate (at least last year he was) than that's a good thing.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#138 » by GimmeDat » Sun Jan 1, 2017 12:40 am

I think the best comparison I can come up with is prime Igoudala. Elite defender, great feel for the game, very athletic, multi-skilled, jump shot isn't great but otherwise a talented scorer.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#139 » by Marcus » Sun Jan 1, 2017 12:47 am

GimmeDat wrote:I think the best comparison I can come up with is prime Igoudala. Elite defender, great feel for the game, very athletic, multi-skilled, jump shot isn't great but otherwise a talented scorer.

That Andre with more of a killer instinct is a pretty good player.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#140 » by GimmeDat » Sun Jan 1, 2017 12:53 am

Marcus wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:I think the best comparison I can come up with is prime Igoudala. Elite defender, great feel for the game, very athletic, multi-skilled, jump shot isn't great but otherwise a talented scorer.

That Andre with more of a killer instinct is a pretty good player.

Absolutely, and if he does happen to figure that jumper out, then he can be a star.

His talent level plus his BBIQ and feel for the game is an exciting combination. In the spirit of this thread, I'd say yes, Wiggins has more potential, but I think Jackson has a good chance to be a higher impact player.

Return to NBA Draft