Who's better: Josh Jackson or Andrew Wiggins?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Who's the better prospect: Josh Jackson or Andrew Wiggins?

Josh Jackson
54%
Andrew Wiggins
46%

Total votes: 228

OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Re: Who's better: Josh Jackson or Andrew Wiggins? 

Post#161 » by OFWGKTA » Fri Feb 3, 2017 4:07 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Just thinking if Boston build around Thomas and Phoenix build around Booker, they're going to need an elite defensive wing with bonus points for passing to get them open shots.

Jackson might not be best available player but might be best available pairing, in the same way GSW / Curry would choose Green over Thompson.

Eh for Boston we're more in need of a scorer/shooter. We already have Crowder, Bradley, and Smart playing elite defense. Rozier and Brown have also shown potential to be really good wing defenders.
Froob wrote:Friends is like Kyle Lowry, everyone says it's amazing but you sit down and watch it and you're just like meh...

GuyClinch wrote: Regulation is mostly to blame - also excessive medical costs.
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#162 » by jrob23 » Sat Feb 4, 2017 3:32 am

Wiggins was a much better prospect and #1 overall. Jackson is not on his level. You guys are predictably prisoners of the moment. Wiggins is putting up 22-4-2 at 21 y/o playing with babies around him. His upside is upper 20s ppg and better peripherals. That's elite and top 10 in the NBA. And Jackson is a better prospect? lmao smh. get a grip guys
Vesper
Junior
And1: 66

Post#163 » by Vesper » Sat Feb 4, 2017 3:38 am

Would it be fair to say that Josh Jackson's floor would be Marcus Smart?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#164 » by Marcus » Sat Feb 4, 2017 5:10 am

Vesper wrote:Would it be fair to say that Josh Jackson's floor would be Marcus Smart?

No.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#165 » by brackdan70 » Sat Feb 4, 2017 5:38 am

Vesper wrote:Would it be fair to say that Josh Jackson's floor would be Marcus Smart?

quite different types of players.

I expect Jackson to be better than Smart though and I love Smart.
Sign here
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#166 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sat Feb 4, 2017 7:43 am

Is Jackson a good defender against bigger opponents?

He will be facing LeBron, Giannis, Leonard, Durant etc...
jrob23
Starter

Post#167 » by jrob23 » Sat Feb 4, 2017 6:10 pm

he'd have to disappoint to have a floor as low as Smart. He's a better prospect. But I can see the comparison.
Vesper
Junior
And1: 66

Post#168 » by Vesper » Sat Feb 4, 2017 6:22 pm

Floor wise I can see the similarity with Jackson and Smart. Obviously, if JJ becomes as good as he can be, he's nowhere near Smart
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#169 » by Marcus » Sat Feb 4, 2017 7:19 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Is Jackson a good defender against bigger opponents?

He will be facing LeBron, Giannis, Leonard, Durant etc...

He's a good defender period. Not as long as the names mentioned here and will need to fill out a little more for Bron if he can. But he's capable of defending those guys.

Now if you're asking for him to shut them down that's a different conversation. Those aren't guys you shutdown. But he can make life a little uncomfortable for them.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#170 » by CptCrunch » Sat Feb 4, 2017 8:04 pm

jrob23 wrote:Wiggins was a much better prospect and #1 overall. Jackson is not on his level. You guys are predictably prisoners of the moment. Wiggins is putting up 22-4-2 at 21 y/o playing with babies around him. His upside is upper 20s ppg and better peripherals. That's elite and top 10 in the NBA. And Jackson is a better prospect? lmao smh. get a grip guys

You just severely overrate Wiggins. Wiggins as a prospect was literally worse than Jackson at every facet of the game except for shooting.

22-4-2 with average to mediocre efficiency while being a bottom 5 percentile defender. Raw stats do not matter.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#171 » by bigboi » Sat Feb 4, 2017 9:03 pm

paulbball wrote:
jrob23 wrote:Wiggins was a much better prospect and #1 overall. Jackson is not on his level. You guys are predictably prisoners of the moment. Wiggins is putting up 22-4-2 at 21 y/o playing with babies around him. His upside is upper 20s ppg and better peripherals. That's elite and top 10 in the NBA. And Jackson is a better prospect? lmao smh. get a grip guys

You just severely overrate Wiggins. Wiggins as a prospect was literally worse than Jackson at every facet of the game except for shooting.

22-4-2 with average to mediocre efficiency while being a bottom 5 percentile defender. Raw stats do not matter.

Raw stats do matter, tf are you talking about. The game is built on raw stats. That being said, Jackson will be much better than Wiggins
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#172 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Feb 5, 2017 5:09 pm

bigboi wrote:
paulbball wrote:

Raw stats do matter, tf are you talking about. The game is built on raw stats. That being said, Jackson will be much better than Wiggins

The game is built on raw stats? Pretty sure the game came decades before that...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
oddwolfhooligan
Sophomore
And1: 83

Post#173 » by oddwolfhooligan » Tue Feb 7, 2017 7:00 am

Look man, I'm gonna try to say this nicely since you're probably pretty young. Your constant superiority complex on this board is beyond stale and wreaks of insecurity. Having the mindset that everyone who disagrees with you is just a "prisoner of the moment" is flat out childish. Scouting isn't an exact science and I guarantee you that there are some brilliant basketball minds in the world who *gasp* feel differently than you do about Jackson and Wiggins.

If you're so confident about your opinions, why not just let your track record speak for itself over time instead of constantly going out of your way to talk down those who have a different opinion than you do?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,640

Post#174 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 7:40 am

Player A per 40
20.8 ppg, 7.1 rbs, 1.9 asts, 1.4 stls, 1.2 blks
44 FG%, 34 3pt%, 77 FT%, 56 TS%
21.4 PER, .170 WS/40, 5.4 OBPM, 3.0 DBPM, 8.5 BPM

Player B per 40
21.5 ppg, 9.4 rbs, 4.0 asts, 2.2 stls, 1.6 blks
49 FG%, 34 3pt%, 54 FT%, 54 TS%
23.9 PER, .179 WS/40, 4.8 OBPM , 5.4 DBPM, 10.2 BPM

I think everyone would look at that and go player B has the superior stats. The only advantage player A has really is FT%. Either than that player B appears to be the much better all around player and two way player.

I think the FT% gives it away but player B is Jackson while player A is Wiggins. Add in the fact Jackson is known for his crazy work ethic and his pitbull mentality on the court while one of Wiggins biggest critiques to this day is his lack of an alpha type mentality on the court. They are the same height, Wiggins has the advantage in wingspan but isnt using it and is still an awful defender. He also has the slight edge athletically over Jackson but Jackson's athleticism will never be looked at as a weakness for him or something that will put a cap on his ceiling, hes probably the 2nd best athlete in this draft behind DSJ.

So I think all the people who were hyping Jackson up to being the better all around prospect are looking just fine right now. Theyre definitely close but I dont think too many people were saying it was lopsided.
jrob23
Starter

Post#175 » by jrob23 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 2:42 pm

bigboi wrote:
paulbball wrote:

much better? Def not in scoring. I do think he'll have better counting stats as Wiggins has been a major disappointment in that regard. But we are talking about as prospects. Wiggins was actually thought to be great defensively and all around. It just never materialized.
jrob23
Starter

Post#176 » by jrob23 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 2:53 pm

oddwolfhooligan wrote:

Look man, I'm gonna try to say this nicely since you're probably pretty young. Your constant superiority complex on this board is beyond stale and wreaks of insecurity. Having the mindset that everyone who disagrees with you is just a "prisoner of the moment" is flat out childish. Scouting isn't an exact science and I guarantee you that there are some brilliant basketball minds in the world who *gasp* feel differently than you do about Jackson and Wiggins.

If you're so confident about your opinions, why not just let your track record speak for itself over time instead of constantly going out of your way to talk down those who have a different opinion than you do?

I give zero Fs. If I see everyone paying too much attention to single recent game performances or forgetting what transpired literally 3 years ago, I'm going to call them out on it. Sorry not sorry. I'm pretty sure as a 42 y/o I'm not "pretty young" and 100% have zero insecurity. Sounds like you might be though because you are triggered lmao.

It's a message board. Relax. We are here to discuss basketball and "prove" we know more than others. It's fun...to be right...and be so very wrong. Also, saying people are "prisoners of the moment", "fanboy", "homer", etc are all things I've been guilty of and been called. But I didn't cry about it because in many instances it's been true.

p.s. not for nothing but did you ever think I may have had earlier smack talk interactions with people and myself been talked down to so I am just responding in kind and you're just coming in on the tail end of an exchange? nah...def not.
jrob23
Starter

Post#177 » by jrob23 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 3:06 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

Player A per 40
20.8 ppg, 7.1 rbs, 1.9 asts, 1.4 stls, 1.2 blks
44 FG%, 34 3pt%, 77 FT%, 56 TS%
21.4 PER, .170 WS/40, 5.4 OBPM, 3.0 DBPM, 8.5 BPM

Player B per 40
21.5 ppg, 9.4 rbs, 4.0 asts, 2.2 stls, 1.6 blks
49 FG%, 34 3pt%, 54 FT%, 54 TS%
23.9 PER, .179 WS/40, 4.8 OBPM , 5.4 DBPM, 10.2 BPM

I think everyone would look at that and go player B has the superior stats. The only advantage player A has really is FT%. Either than that player B appears to be the much better all around player and two way player.

I think the FT% gives it away but player B is Jackson while player A is Wiggins. Add in the fact Jackson is known for his crazy work ethic and his pitbull mentality on the court while one of Wiggins biggest critiques to this day is his lack of an alpha type mentality on the court. They are the same height, Wiggins has the advantage in wingspan but isnt using it and is still an awful defender. He also has the slight edge athletically over Jackson but Jackson's athleticism will never be looked at as a weakness for him or something that will put a cap on his ceiling, hes probably the 2nd best athlete in this draft behind DSJ.

So I think all the people who were hyping Jackson up to being the better all around prospect are looking just fine right now. Theyre definitely close but I dont think too many people were saying it was lopsided.

okay....Jackson turns 20 y/o in three days. At 20 y/o Wiggins was in his second season in the NBA scoring 20.7 ppg.
oddwolfhooligan
Sophomore
And1: 83

Post#178 » by oddwolfhooligan » Tue Feb 7, 2017 5:58 pm

jrob23 wrote:
oddwolfhooligan wrote:

I give zero Fs. If I see everyone paying too much attention to single recent game performances or forgetting what transpired literally 3 years ago, I'm going to call them out on it. Sorry not sorry. I'm pretty sure as a 42 y/o I'm not "pretty young" and 100% have zero insecurity. Sounds like you might be though because you are triggered lmao.

It's a message board. Relax. We are here to discuss basketball and "prove" we know more than others. It's fun...to be right...and be so very wrong. Also, saying people are "prisoners of the moment", "fanboy", "homer", etc are all things I've been guilty of and been called. But I didn't cry about it because in many instances it's been true.

p.s. not for nothing but did you ever think I may have had earlier smack talk interactions with people and myself been talked down to so I am just responding in kind and you're just coming in on the tail end of an exchange? nah...def not.

Yes, I'm the triggered one. Alright, man. You do you.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#179 » by ItsThatEasy » Tue Feb 7, 2017 7:15 pm

jrob23 wrote:
oddwolfhooligan wrote:

I think you might be in the minority if you're here to prove you know more than others.

Myself and the majority of people on this forum are here simply because we enjoy the game, appreciate learning new things and engaging in productive conversations.

If you're here to prove something you have a much bigger problems than Wiggins vs. Jackson.
tsmith
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#180 » by tsmith » Wed Feb 8, 2017 5:39 am

jrob23 wrote:

We are here to discuss basketball and "prove" we know more than others.

I doubt many people come on here to prove their better then anyone. People come here to share knowledge and discuss basketball.

Return to NBA Draft