Frank Ntilikina

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

coutournant
Junior
And1: 75

Re: Frank Ntilikina 

Post#41 » by coutournant » Sun Feb 5, 2017 12:59 pm

He plays SG at Strasbourg and it is obvious he's not comfortable at this position offesively.
He's a pure PG, since the beginning of hois carreer he always been at his best when playing PG. He excels at setting the game, controlling the pace af the game. He's not aggressive enough to play at the wing, that's what he's showing here in France.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#42 » by reanimator » Sun Feb 5, 2017 3:03 pm

I don't think Ntilikina will have a problem creating his shot at all. Good shake with the length and fluidity to get separation. I'm starting to agree he is a SG who plays PG in a pinch....you can definitely initiate the offense from that position.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#43 » by Upperclass » Sun Feb 5, 2017 7:54 pm

From tapes, he looks alot like Jeremy Lamb. Kinda basic
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#44 » by jrob23 » Sun Feb 5, 2017 8:05 pm

coutournant wrote:He plays SG at Strasbourg and it is obvious he's not comfortable at this position offesively.
He's a pure PG, since the beginning of hois carreer he always been at his best when playing PG. He excels at setting the game, controlling the pace af the game. He's not aggressive enough to play at the wing, that's what he's showing here in France.

wait..so he's not 100% comfortable playing SG after playing PG his whole career? Get out!!! The point is he may love playing PG, and excelled playing PG versus scrubs in Europe...but in the NBA he does not possess PG skills and won't be a true PG. So since he is adept at 3 pt shooting, defense, and has adequate passing skills and handle for a SG...he'll be a SG. Whatever it takes to get on the floor. Maybe down the road he can improve his handle enough to be a PG but initially I expect a combo guard type deal like Jamal Murray, Marcus Smart, Harden, etc.
jrob23
Starter

Post#45 » by jrob23 » Sun Feb 5, 2017 8:07 pm

yeah...real basic /s

does not seem to have an issue creating one bit
reanimator
Analyst

Post#46 » by reanimator » Sun Feb 5, 2017 8:13 pm

Much better defensively than Jeremy Lamb, a better passer and doesn't settle for long 2s like Lamb. Similar body types, I guess.
coutournant
Junior

Post#47 » by coutournant » Sun Feb 5, 2017 8:16 pm

jrob23 wrote:
coutournant wrote:He plays SG at Strasbourg and it is obvious he's not comfortable at this position offesively.

wait..so he's not 100% comfortable playing SG after playing PG his whole career? Get out!!! The point is he may love playing PG, and excelled playing PG versus scrubs in Europe...but in the NBA he does not possess PG skills and won't be a true PG. So since he is adept at 3 pt shooting, defense, and has adequate passing skills and handle for a SG...he'll be a SG. Whatever it takes to get on the floor. Maybe down the road he can improve his handle enough to be a PG but initially I expect a combo guard type deal like Jamal Murray, Marcus Smart, Harden, etc.

He possesses PG skills... and no SG skills ! those two positions are much different
jrob23
Starter

Post#48 » by jrob23 » Sun Feb 5, 2017 9:17 pm

coutournant wrote:
jrob23 wrote:

He possesses PG skills... and no SG skills ! those two positions are much different

I take it you didn't watch the above tape or are just being intentionally obtuse. How can you not see him raining threes, taking guys off the dribble, finishing drives and dishing assists? What exactly are these SGs you've been watching doing? lmao. Too funny. Anyone with any knowledge of basketball can see from that tape he has SG skills.
coutournant
Junior

Post#49 » by coutournant » Mon Feb 6, 2017 8:45 am

I've watched almost all of his game in his carreer (I've been the first to talk about Ntilikina in this forum), and what he is doing at U18 is as a PG who can starts the possession with the balls in his hands.
It is obvious you never see him play in his current team at Strasbourg. He plays off the ball most of the time and his game really doesn't translate well. When he is the first guard he plays with all the confidence he needs, because that's what he does the best.
Some players feel better at a position in particular and this is obviously the PG spot for Frank. It has been since the beginning of his carreer
jrob23
Starter

Post#50 » by jrob23 » Mon Feb 6, 2017 7:38 pm

coutournant wrote:I've watched almost all of his game in his carreer (I've been the first to talk about Ntilikina in this forum), and what he is doing at U18 is as a PG who can starts the possession with the balls in his hands.
It is obvious you never see him play in his current team at Strasbourg. He plays off the ball most of the time and his game really doesn't translate well. When he is the first guard he plays with all the confidence he needs, because that's what he does the best.
Some players feel better at a position in particular and this is obviously the PG spot for Frank. It has been since the beginning of his carreer

He may be drafted as a PG, but he'll be the 4th best PG in the draft if he is. If he's drafted as a SG there's nobody better. I'm just of the opinion he has an easier path to playing time and success as a SG than as a PG regardless of what he prefers to play. If a team works him out and says you could be drafted #1 as a SG, you'll be amazed at how quickly he "feels better" as a SG. The point is, as an NBA prospect, he has translatable SG skills and you claim he doesn't.
coutournant
Junior

Post#51 » by coutournant » Thu Feb 9, 2017 9:49 am

I feel like a lot of people have biased perception of Ntilikina, due to draft hype may be.
One year ago, almost everybody in this thread was saying Ntilikina was a bad shooter, which was really not the case since Frank always have been a great shooter.
Nowadays there is a trend saying he is a better fit as a shooting guard. He may play off the ball at Strasbourg but that doesn't mean he's good at this position. In fact he demonstrates every week that he struggles off the ball. I am just relating what is happening with Strasbourg. He's still elite in defense no matter the position, but he is lost on offense at SG/SF positions, really.
jrob23
Starter

Post#52 » by jrob23 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:59 am

coutournant wrote:I feel like a lot of people have biased perception of Ntilikina, due to draft hype may be.
One year ago, almost everybody in this thread was saying Ntilikina was a bad shooter, which was really not the case since Frank always have been a great shooter.
Nowadays there is a trend saying he is a better fit as a shooting guard. He may play off the ball at Strasbourg but that doesn't mean he's good at this position. In fact he demonstrates every week that he struggles off the ball. I am just relating what is happening with Strasbourg. He's still elite in defense no matter the position, but he is lost on offense at SG/SF positions, really.

for the umpteenth time, it doesn't matter! Who cares how good he is playing as a SG for the first time in his life at Strasburg? It's how he projects at the NBA level. He can hit threes spotting up, off screens, in transition. He can blow by people off the dribble if they challenge his shots or just on mismatches and he can finish or dish. He's a top defender. Those are literally SG skills. Again, what is it that you think he doesn't have to be a SG? Because you have a sense he doesn't like it? Or that he's not uber confident or 100% acclimated to the position? smh. You do realize that he has several months of coaching, training, games, camp, Summer League and pre season to get ready right?
coutournant
Junior

Post#53 » by coutournant » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:07 am

NBA front office don't draft people at position they can't play.
It is obvious you have no clue about Ntilikina. You only judge by one game in U18 which is a total bias
BillyKingGM
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#54 » by BillyKingGM » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:31 pm

jrob23 wrote:
coutournant wrote:
jrob23 wrote:

I take it you didn't watch the above tape or are just being intentionally obtuse. How can you not see him raining threes, taking guys off the dribble, finishing drives and dishing assists? What exactly are these SGs you've been watching doing? lmao. Too funny. Anyone with any knowledge of basketball can see from that tape he has SG skills.

I like the jamaal murray comparison a lot. I think Franks ceiling is a bit higher just due to his length, though.
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#55 » by shawn_hemp » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:08 pm

This guy reminds me of Tyreke Evans. Not a terrible player to have on your team, but idk if I'd take him in the top 10 or even top 15

I think he'll have similiar problems that Tyreke had in the NBA, being stuck as a SG who isnt overly competent at shooting the basketball. Whether he'll be able to effectively play PG in the NBA remains to be seen
reanimator
Analyst

Post#56 » by reanimator » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Don't see the Murray comp. Murray can't defend and Ntilikina isn't an elite shooter off the bounce with pretenatural feel.

Think he is more fluid and quick than Evans and projects to be a better shooter. I think the most approximate comp is Jrue Holiday but with even more defensive potential with the extra length.
traax
Junior
And1: 499

Post#57 » by traax » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:51 pm

coutournant wrote:NBA front office don't draft people at position they can't play.
It is obvious you have no clue about Ntilikina. You only judge by one game in U18 which is a total bias

You dont have to argue with this troll. He has absolutely no clue and his talent evaluation is terrible. Do yourself a favour and safe your energy for people who are worth it. Look at his posts about Fultz, its basically everything you have to know....
jrob23
Starter

Post#58 » by jrob23 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:20 pm

traax wrote:
coutournant wrote:NBA front office don't draft people at position they can't play.

You dont have to argue with this troll. He has absolutely no clue and his talent evaluation is terrible. Do yourself a favour and safe your energy for people who are worth it. Look at his posts about Fultz, its basically everything you have to know....

triggered. We'll see who has no clue lmao.
jrob23
Starter

Post#59 » by jrob23 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:28 pm

exactly. NBA teams will draft him BECAUSE he CAN play SG. You just don't think he can and I keep asking what a SG does that he can't and...silence. I judge players by watching tape, seeing measurements, reading scouting reports. Before December there simply wasn't more than a couple of bad videos on him. Watching those he seemed way too overrated as a PG. Now that we have more to go on it's pretty clear to me that everyone, including me, is/was miscasting him as a PG. If teams are adamant he's a PG it will take a fair amount of time for him to improve enough to succeed there. He has the requisite talent to be a SG on Day 1. Just an opinion. Not trolling. Am I speaking greek? How is this concept foreign? You have a too tall PG with less than stellar handle and it's confusing that his future may lie at SG. The NBA is littered with guys like him. Some guys who were Centers in college are PF in the NBA. Some SF in college are SG in the NBA. This isn't a new thing smh
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,527

Post#60 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:19 pm

jrob23 wrote:

exactly. NBA teams will draft him BECAUSE he CAN play SG. You just don't think he can and I keep asking what a SG does that he can't and...silence. I judge players by watching tape, seeing measurements, reading scouting reports. Before December there simply wasn't more than a couple of bad videos on him. Watching those he seemed way too overrated as a PG. Now that we have more to go on it's pretty clear to me that everyone, including me, is/was miscasting him as a PG. If teams are adamant he's a PG it will take a fair amount of time for him to improve enough to succeed there. He has the requisite talent to be a SG on Day 1. Just an opinion. Not trolling. Am I speaking greek? How is this concept foreign? You have a too tall PG with less than stellar handle and it's confusing that his future may lie at SG. The NBA is littered with guys like him. Some guys who were Centers in college are PF in the NBA. Some SF in college are SG in the NBA. This isn't a new thing smh

Looking at his current stats in France I don't think Frank will be playing either position in the NBA from day 1. IMO he is the biggest project in the whole first round. If teams think they can strike gold with him they're likely going to have to wait for years anyways. It's unlikely he goes from being last on his French team in PER to a usable NBA player in one year. If a team drafts him it's cause he's an 18 year old with good tools who they hope is 2 years away from being something

Return to NBA Draft