De'Aaron Fox

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Re: De'Aaron Fox 

Post#161 » by whitehops » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:53 pm

i'm not too worried about fox's ability to develop his shot, to be honest. his form doesn't look bad, let alone broken and he shoots a decent clip at the free throw line. he also has good touch around the rim which bodes well.

i have to look at the other top prospects (and more of de'aaron) but i like what i see from him.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#162 » by CptCrunch » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:09 pm

Fox is the worst shooting lotto PG/SG prospect to come out in the last decade. Even Ricky "Mystery Man" Rubio shot better in a tougher league.

I don't really care what he did in the tourney. With his complete lack of shooting, I'm not touching him anywhere near top 5.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#163 » by QRich3 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:09 am

I get not putting too much stock in his hot tourney shooting because of the sample size, but then no one should put that much on him shooting 17-69 from 3 the whole season. Yeah, it's not a great indicator and he already had some worries about his shooting, but it's still less than 70 shots in a year, so it's not like it's definitive proof that he'll never learn to shoot.
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#164 » by cksdayoff » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:35 am

whitehops wrote:i'm not too worried about fox's ability to develop his shot, to be honest. his form doesn't look bad, let alone broken and he shoots a decent clip at the free throw line. he also has good touch around the rim which bodes well.

i have to look at the other top prospects (and more of de'aaron) but i like what i see from him.

The kid shoots the ball from the side of his face. That works at the free throw line because he can take his time to align his feet and shooting hand relative to the basket.

Shooting jumpers off the dribble and set shots outside of 15 feet with that form isnt going to work imo. I havent seen someone with that shooting form since the 90s.

That shot needs to be reworked
#failforfultz
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#165 » by Kolkmania » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:44 am

cksdayoff wrote:
whitehops wrote:i'm not too worried about fox's ability to develop his shot, to be honest. his form doesn't look bad, let alone broken and he shoots a decent clip at the free throw line. he also has good touch around the rim which bodes well.

The kid shoots the ball from the side of his face. That works at the free throw line because he can take his time to align his feet and shooting hand relative to the basket.

Shooting jumpers off the dribble and set shots outside of 15 feet with that form isnt going to work imo. I havent seen someone with that shooting form since the 90s.

That shot needs to be reworked

Do you have a picture or film that shows this rare shooting form? From all the tapes I've watched, I never noticed this. He releases it slightly to his left, but that's not uncommon for a left eye dominant player.

This video from a high school games show multiple three point shots from a great angle. I don't see anything close to the extremely particular shooting form you're describing.

For reference a picture of Malik Monk shooting, considered as the best shooter from this class.

cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#166 » by cksdayoff » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:13 am

Kolkmania wrote:
Do you have a picture or film that shows this rare shooting form? From all the tapes I've watched, I never noticed this. He releases it slightly to his left, but that's not uncommon for a left eye dominant player.

Check out 5:40 and 5:46, 5:47, 5:53, 6:00

I think Fox and Monk's forms are different. You're right that Monk brings the ball up slightly left, but Fox literally brings the ball up almost to the side of his head. It varies from shot to shot a little, maybe that's why his jumper has been so inconsistent.
#failforfultz
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#167 » by Kolkmania » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:02 am

cksdayoff wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

Check out 5:40 and 5:46, 5:47, 5:53, 6:00

I think Fox and Monk's forms are different. You're right that Monk brings the ball up slightly left, but Fox literally brings the ball up almost to the side of his head. It varies from shot to shot a little, maybe that's why his jumper has been so inconsistent.

Hmm, I see what you're saying. The angles could be a bit misleading though, do you see it as well at 6:42? But don't get me wrong, I don't think his shooting form is perfect. I would love to see him making it a bit more compact, reducing the cog back while pulling up for example. I think that's why you think his alignment is completely off.

Pause it at 0:58 and play it with 0.25 speed.
Derento
Junior
And1: 114

Post#168 » by Derento » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:53 am

He glides into the paint.
No one will be able to stop him from getting to cup once he tightens his handle.
He can become a very valuable offensive player even if his jump shot remains poor.
Shot almost 50 percent on floaters too.

CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#169 » by CptCrunch » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Derento wrote:He glides into the paint.
No one will be able to stop him from getting to cup once he tightens his handle.
He can become a very valuable offensive player even if his jump shot remains poor.

Where can I find floater %? I see 36.2% from 2's.

https://hoop-math.com/Kentucky2017.php
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#170 » by MotownMadness » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:48 pm

paulbball wrote:

I think it says what his percentage on floaters was in the video and it's pretty good to elite.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#171 » by CptCrunch » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:25 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
paulbball wrote:

I think it says what his percentage on floaters was in the video and it's pretty good to elite.

Can I 'make up' stats if I start making highlight videos? Like this 41k youtuber.

50% floater is quite an absurd figure. If you shoot 50%, make all your shots floaters.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#172 » by MotownMadness » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:47 pm

paulbball wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
paulbball wrote:

Can I 'make up' stats if I start making highlight videos? Like this 41k youtuber.

50% floater is quite an absurd figure. If you shoot 50%, make all your shots floaters.

Are they wrong? I mean DraftExpress is a pretty respectable youtuber.
mr2good
Senior
And1: 355

Post#173 » by mr2good » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:59 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
paulbball wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: I think it says what his percentage on floaters was in the video and it's pretty good to elite.

Are they wrong? I mean DraftExpress is a pretty respectable youtuber.

Yeah I mean if DX was just "making up stats" than they would have been called out for it many times over.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,679

Post#174 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:24 pm

D Fox has a great deal in common with a young Tony Parker. He is such a fast player with great ball handling and finishing ability that he will not need a 3 point shot. He will not need one until he slows down which will be years from now. I have yet to see Fox characterized as a scorer, yet I believe that is what he will be in the NBA much like Rose was once he left Kentucky.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Instincts
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#175 » by Instincts » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:02 am

Yes to fox. He will be very good.
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,928

Post#176 » by islanders11040 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Fischella wrote:
islanders11040 wrote:He was 2-4 on jumpers yesterday. Idk how you categorize 50% as "automatic brick". (13-15 from ft line as a bonus too)

Also is fox still in the 20's for you as of today? If not then where?

He made 1 real jumper, the other one was a one-handed one falling over his man, and his misses where awful, not even close.
yeah he is in the 20s still for me, I said that like what, 2 weeks ago? not changing my stance because of a game that didnt show nothing new, there is where his value normalizes, he is never gonna be available there though.

just checking in. Still in the 20's for u?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#177 » by No-Man » Sun May 21, 2017 9:07 pm

islanders11040 wrote:
Fischella wrote:
islanders11040 wrote:He was 2-4 on jumpers yesterday. Idk how you categorize 50% as "automatic brick". (13-15 from ft line as a bonus too)

Also is fox still in the 20's for you as of today? If not then where?

He made 1 real jumper, the other one was a one-handed one falling over his man, and his misses where awful, not even close.
yeah he is in the 20s still for me, I said that like what, 2 weeks ago? not changing my stance because of a game that didnt show nothing new, there is where his value normalizes, he is never gonna be available there though.

just checking in. Still in the 20's for u?

Yeah, I won't kill somebody if they pick him like in late lotto or the teens, I understand that for some franchises winning it all ain't the priority+you can always justify that value if he becomes a trade asset, but as a prospect himself, as a player, he is a guy I'd not invest a top15 pick on.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#178 » by Damkac » Sun May 21, 2017 9:28 pm

Return to NBA Draft