De'Aaron Fox

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: De'Aaron Fox 

Post#101 » by No-Man » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:34 am

doordoor123 wrote:He was always the third best prospect for me. It seems like people like to pretend they know what's going on until someone puts up numbers in important games. The way he gets the the basket and his motor have always been elite.

Man actually watch the game with clean eyes and focus on the UCLA defense for once, if this game told you something new, you have to actually change the way you scout these guys all over.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#102 » by reanimator » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:59 am

Fischella wrote:Are people actually watching the games? Fox did great against a defense that basically did everything wrong in terms of how you defend him, kudos to him for staying aggressive, moving the ball quickly when doubled and all that, but UCLA didnt challenge him to shot all game, played close to his hips, and went over screens and crashed continuosly at those, put that together with no rim-protector, and he had like 10 floaters with no opposition.

Yeah, he basically made a living at the cup against a bad defense...something that won't be normal in the NBA.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#103 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:21 pm

OT, but

Fischella wrote: if this game told you something new, you have to actually change the way you scout these guys all over.

76ers board has signatures dedicated to how bad you scout players, just saying if you're going to talk down to people, have your backyard clean first.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,485

Post#104 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:15 pm

Fox may not have checked any new boxes, but he checked the **** out of some old ones on the biggest stage of his career. I don't see how that can be dismissed.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#105 » by jonjames » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:24 pm

EvanZ wrote:
jonjames wrote:His ability to defend run the team make the right passes hit the midrange shot break down defenses off dribble and finish at the basket in half court and transition will all translate at next level. His shooting has gotten better since the beginning of season. Even without much improvement on his shot..he's a taller and more athletic Mike Conley. That's very good floor to say the least.

Mike Conley is a 38% career 3pt shooter who is one of the top 10 point guards in the league for like the last 5 years. I mean are you really sitting there in your bedroom thinking that this dude's *floor* is Mike Conley? Come on man. That's not how this works.

:banghead:

Yes his 3pt % is bad and maybe always will be but his shooting has gotten better and is around the same level as John wall at Kentucky. Wall is now a consensus top 10 pg by everyone and top 5 pg by good amount of ppl. Last night just confirmed to me what I've seen from him earlier in the season.in the late 2nd half there was a sequence where he cut thru defense going full speed and used spin move off his defender and contorted his body hanging in the air almost getting the finish you can't teach that that's just pure basketball instincts. And another play where lonzo and another ucla player tried to double near the half court fox just blew by them and went in for the layup. That Nba spacing is going to be money for fox and I suspect his shot will get better at next level as basketball becomes his full time job. His defense will always be there.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#106 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:59 pm

jonjames wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
jonjames wrote:His ability to defend run the team make the right passes hit the midrange shot break down defenses off dribble and finish at the basket in half court and transition will all translate at next level. His shooting has gotten better since the beginning of season. Even without much improvement on his shot..he's a taller and more athletic Mike Conley. That's very good floor to say the least.

Mike Conley is a 38% career 3pt shooter who is one of the top 10 point guards in the league for like the last 5 years. I mean are you really sitting there in your bedroom thinking that this dude's *floor* is Mike Conley? Come on man. That's not how this works.

:banghead:

Yes his 3pt % is bad and maybe always will be but his shooting has gotten better and is around the same level as John wall at Kentucky. Wall is now a consensus top 10 pg by everyone and top 5 pg by good amount of ppl. Last night just confirmed to me what I've seen from him earlier in the season.in the late 2nd half there was a sequence where he cut thru defense going full speed and used spin move off his defender and contorted his body hanging in the air almost getting the finish you can't teach that that's just pure basketball instincts. And another play where lonzo and another ucla player tried to double near the half court fox just blew by them and went in for the layup. That Nba spacing is going to be money for fox and I suspect his shot will get better at next level as basketball becomes his full time job. His defense will always be there.

Another thing that impressed me about Fox (and I've been a detractor of his) - just 1 turnover. He's much more under control on his drives than he used to be. And I don't care how bad the defense is - When you make 13 of 20 from the field and 13 of 15 from the line against the talented guards that UCLA has, you've done something. Granted, I don't see Alford ever getting an NBA job.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
reanimator
Analyst

Post#107 » by reanimator » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:43 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:Fox may not have checked any new boxes, but he checked the **** out of some old ones on the biggest stage of his career. I don't see how that can be dismissed.

This would make sense, if you didn't see him as a lottery pick prior which I've always thought since his EYBL days, as marcus can attest. I'm not one to think march madness games are bigger than regular season games for prospects, this ain't the difference between the NBA regular season and playoffs.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,360

Post#108 » by Ambrose » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:47 pm

I've really only watched him the last two games but he kind of strikes me as a poor mans Westbrook.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#109 » by reanimator » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:52 pm

Read on Twitter
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#110 » by EvanZ » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:19 pm

Lonzo's defense is terrible.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#111 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:36 pm

reanimator wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:Fox may not have checked any new boxes, but he checked the **** out of some old ones on the biggest stage of his career. I don't see how that can be dismissed.

This would make sense, if you didn't see him as a lottery pick prior which I've always thought since his EYBL days, as marcus can attest. I'm not one to think march madness games are bigger than regular season games for prospects, this ain't the difference between the NBA regular season and playoffs.

I think tourney performances get poo-poo'd way too much around here.

The college season is short. Especially when you take trash non-conference opponents out of the equation. March Madness is a significant portion of a player's games against good teams.

It also come at the end of the season (obv), when freshmen have 30+ games of learnings under their belts. It's the smartest and most polished they'll be before the draft.

So while I don't let tourney sway me hugely one way or another, I absolutely weigh it more than games in early January.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#112 » by HotelVitale » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:40 pm

EvanZ wrote:Lonzo's defense is terrible.

It comes and goes but that play wasn't Ball's fault. No way he's getting around that pick cleanly, clearly should've been a switch there or at the very least a contest even if the switch came too late. And the helper to the left should also at least change Fox's angle by shading into his driving lane (even if he doesn't want to leave his man completely).
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#113 » by EvanZ » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:42 pm

HotelVitale wrote:

It comes and goes but that play wasn't Ball's fault. No way he's getting around that pick cleanly, clearly should've been a switch there or at the very least a contest even if the switch came too late. And the helper to the left should also at least change Fox's angle by shading into his driving lane (even if he doesn't want to leave his man completely).

The second he turned his head away from the ball he was dead.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#114 » by HotelVitale » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:46 pm

EvanZ wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Huh? His head's on a swivel there, and he clearly sees the pick coming and leans into it. #40 completely mishandles the play, and the other help guy plays it like I would play a 15 year-old at the Y (just take a lazy swipe instead of moving my feet).
HotelVitale
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: De'Aaron Fox 

Post#115 » by HotelVitale » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Sixers2125 wrote: I agree that his floor is very high. Mike Conley is a bad comparison because their games aren't not very similar. I just think Fox is gonna be a star, listening to his post game interviews I can tell he is very driven and he hates losing. That's a good trait to have.
That's not how this stuff works, though. We've seen dozens of guys who 'hate to lose' not develop very well, it's mostly not a matter of will or determination. Fox might not have the physical capability to develop an extremely difficult muscle skill (shooting from 24-28 ft against huge and fast defenses), and there's no point in calculating someone's floor with the assumption that they'll develop just fine in something they're clearly far behind in. Seems more fair to calculate a floor based on where they're at and a reasonable development of what they're good at, but without any heroic developments in other areas. (Conley has developed very well in lots of areas, too, though Fox is startign with a better crossover and finishing game.)
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#116 » by Marcus » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:24 pm

reanimator wrote:
Read on Twitter

That Welsh read was horrible.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#117 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:43 pm

Marcus wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm trying to see what Welsh saw there, and the best I can come up with is he thought Leaf was dropping down on the other side of the screen? Trash either way.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,093

Post#118 » by The-Power » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Ambrose wrote:I've really only watched him the last two games but he kind of strikes me as a poor mans Westbrook.

Don't see many similarities. Fox is much more similar to Dennis Schröder.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#119 » by Marcus » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:23 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Marcus wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm trying to see what Welsh saw there, and the best I can come up with is he thought Leaf was dropping down on the other side of the screen? Trash either way.

Yeah I have no idea what he was doing there. Lonzo dies on picks but he didn't read that one wrong he just didn't get the help he should have. Ball didn't fight through. Welsh didn't force Fox into any help and Leaf was trash on that end of the floor with his help and rotation all night. How he constantly left Willis open when they went man was infuriating as a basketball fan.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#120 » by E-Balla » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:36 pm

EvanZ wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

If you don't think that was all Welsh you don't know basketball.

Return to NBA Draft