tsmith
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Re: Markelle Fultz 

Post#701 » by tsmith » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:16 am

916fan wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
A better way to look at it is that Harden doesn't play 'above the rim'. 'Isn't a good athlete' is a way too broad and inaccurate statement.

I just don't understand how anyone could call Harden unathletic. He's an absolute bull with the ball in his hands. I've guarded the guy a few times at the Drew League, impossible to move him and he's fast. Not "deceptively fast" either, just fast.

No one called him unathletic. I don't think he's quick on-ball. He relies on his 1st step and dribble moves more than his overall speed, acceleration, and burst. He doesn't get a good shift when changing directions either.

He's one of the most physical players despite getting the soft label. People underrate how much of his game revolves around his big body and strength. In some of his drives, he uses his body to shield off defenders while driving, instead of relying on pure quickness. I think Harden is an above average athlete, but I wouldn't say he's a good one.

I don't think vertical=quickness alone. Steph isn't much of a vertical leaper, but he's still one of the most athletic players in the NBA. On the contrary, Grayson Allen is a great vertical leaper with some explosion, but he's probably a slightly-below average to average athlete because of he lacks the other stuff. A good athletic SG would be DeMar DeRozan for me.

My entire point was that you don't need to be a great or even good athlete to excel in the NBA. There's lots of players who aren't good athletes but are still good in the NBA. If you guys disagree with me on Harden, there's still Devin Booker, Klay Thompson, Malcom Brogdon, etc.

You just said "Harden is not a good athlete".
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#702 » by 916fan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:45 pm

t_smith979 wrote:
916fan wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:
I just don't understand how anyone could call Harden unathletic. He's an absolute bull with the ball in his hands. I've guarded the guy a few times at the Drew League, impossible to move him and he's fast. Not "deceptively fast" either, just fast.

No one called him unathletic. I don't think he's quick on-ball. He relies on his 1st step and dribble moves more than his overall speed, acceleration, and burst. He doesn't get a good shift when changing directions either.

He's one of the most physical players despite getting the soft label. People underrate how much of his game revolves around his big body and strength. In some of his drives, he uses his body to shield off defenders while driving, instead of relying on pure quickness. I think Harden is an above average athlete, but I wouldn't say he's a good one.

I don't think vertical=quickness alone. Steph isn't much of a vertical leaper, but he's still one of the most athletic players in the NBA. On the contrary, Grayson Allen is a great vertical leaper with some explosion, but he's probably a slightly-below average to average athlete because of he lacks the other stuff. A good athletic SG would be DeMar DeRozan for me.

My entire point was that you don't need to be a great or even good athlete to excel in the NBA. There's lots of players who aren't good athletes but are still good in the NBA. If you guys disagree with me on Harden, there's still Devin Booker, Klay Thompson, Malcom Brogdon, etc.

what are you talking about? him not being a "good" athlete does not = nonathletic. When I talk about athleticism, I have tiers. poor athlete, below average athlete, average athlete, above average athlete, good athlete, etc.
tsmith
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#703 » by tsmith » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:24 am

916fan wrote:
t_smith979 wrote:
916fan wrote:No one called him unathletic. I don't think he's quick on-ball. He relies on his 1st step and dribble moves more than his overall speed, acceleration, and burst. He doesn't get a good shift when changing directions either.

what are you talking about? him not being a "good" athlete does not = nonathletic. When I talk about athleticism, I have tiers. poor athlete, below average athlete, average athlete, above average athlete, good athlete, etc.

So one moment you are saying "Harden is not a good athlete" next you are saying "Harden is an above average athlete", you are completely contradicting yourself.
916fan
Pro Prospect

Post#704 » by 916fan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:03 pm

t_smith979 wrote:
916fan wrote:
t_smith979 wrote:You just said "Harden is not a good athlete".

So one moment you are saying "Harden is not a good athlete" next you are saying "Harden is an above average athlete", you are completely contradicting yourself.

yep.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#705 » by Marty McFly » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:21 am

916fan wrote:
t_smith979 wrote:
916fan wrote:what are you talking about? him not being a "good" athlete does not = nonathletic. When I talk about athleticism, I have tiers. poor athlete, below average athlete, average athlete, above average athlete, good athlete, etc.

yep.

:lol:
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#706 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:31 am

I can't believe the Sixers would make him play on an injured shoulder so the most logical answer is they can't detect anything wrong with him. But maybe it's still sore to him? I don't know. He's not even attempting outside shots and took a jump ball with the wrong hand so something is up.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#707 » by reanimator » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:07 am

He doesn't even shoot during the shoot arounds.

He is clearly hurt.

Shame because you can see the handle, creativity and vision.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#708 » by Upperclass » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:12 am

He's not hurt. He's a mental midget and has the yips. Seems like he's scared of the pressure
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,669

Post#709 » by SelfishPlayer » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:55 am

It didn't take much of the season for me to be proven right. Fultz was not worthy of being the #1 pick. His heavy usage of the pick and roll game on the college level was a red flag. He was featured by his head coach into "looking" like the top player, but he just didn't do it easily enough. He needed the offense built around him, he just didn't simply beat people off of the dribble whenever and wherever he wanted like De'aaron Fox.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#710 » by reanimator » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Yeah, I'm not buying the "its mental" stuff

Mentally weak kids shoot jumpers, if anything.

Its way too early but I haven't seen any of this class of PGs jump out at me yet.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#711 » by jonjames » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:18 pm

Alot were super high on him on this board declaring him as the clearcut best player and prospect in the draft..i had him rated behind fox ball smith jr and jackson. His college record, lack of dynamic athleticisn, and loser mentality were red flags for me. Granted hes a very good athlete but his foot speed is quite slow for his position. D'angelo Russell was a similar comp but russell is more skilled imo. Obviously its super early to dismiss him for his poor start bc hes dealing with shoulder injury. Im not rly sure why the coaching staff is letting him play thru it. He wont bust but i dont think he will live up to #1pick..not with embiid simmons on the team.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#712 » by GimmeDat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:31 am

The jumper is a big part of his game. He's definitely not 100%. Really concerning Philly aren't sitting him out.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#713 » by SelfishPlayer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:35 am

The shoulder injury seems like an attempt at damage control from Fultz's side. Medical examiners can not find anything wrong with his shoulder, but supposedly at some point during the summer his shoulder hurt so bad that he constructed a new shooting form? I believe he worked on a new shooting form because his initial form was too slow and didn't do well at the free throw line. A hurt anything doesn't make you use an entirely new form, it may cause a breakdown in the fundamentals of your form, but not an entirely new form.

Brauer
Bench Warmer
And1: 806

Post#714 » by Brauer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:34 am

Your pre-draft predictions about Fultz are irrelevant to how Markelle is playing right now because he isn't really the same player we has back in Washington.

Anyways, I have no idea what's up with the shooting thing though. Neither does anyone tbh. But it's driving me insane.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#715 » by reanimator » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:12 am

The Sixers allowed Embiid to play with a torn meniscus and people doubt that they'd allow Fultz to play injured? Confirmation bias is a hell of a drug.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#716 » by reanimator » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:02 pm

Read on Twitter
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#717 » by SelfishPlayer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:41 am

It seems that the fluid went the other way. Fultz received a cortisone shot in his shoulder some weeks ago. His agent has retracted the story about Fultz getting his shoulder drained.
https://sports.yahoo.com/agent-markelle-fultz-fluid-drained-injured-right-shoulder-204710862.html

This is ugly. I knew that he wasn't worthy of being the #1 pick, but damn... :banghead:

Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#718 » by Mulhollanddrive » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:52 am

Would be ecstatic if Phoenix bought low on Fultz in exchange for a Bledsoe package.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#719 » by reanimator » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:39 pm

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23923211076044513280

Very clearly the agent retracted the floor at the request of the Sixers but it accomplished what it needed to.
916fan
Pro Prospect

Post#720 » by 916fan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:38 pm

Fultz camp and the Sixers are creating an entire **** show.

1. He had a minor shoulder injury somewhere along this timeline
2. Changes his shot for an uknown reason, and struggles to shoot FTs and 3s.
3. Sixers say his shoulder is sore, resulting in the re-adjusted new form.
4. Unknown sources say he did try to change his jumpshot over the summer. FT shooting woes coninue
5. Fultz says the FT shot is him trying to adjust because of his shoulder injury.
6. Agent comes out saying he had fluid drained from his shoulder and that he couldn't even lift his shoulders up.
7. Sixers come out and say no, that drainage didn't happen.
8. Agent retracts his statements from 5. saying he had cortisone injected into his shoulder, not a drainage
9. Sixers confirm the cortisone shot, and explained they used "shoulder sourness" to disclose it.
10. Fultz will miss the next 3 days and his shoulder will need to be re-evaluated
11. Sixers GM implies that Fultz trying to change his jumpshot in August resulted in the shoulder injury
12. Fultz's trainer says Fultz was not trying to change his shot, says he had no clue why the Sixers said that. Says Fultz changed his jumpshot because of the injury.
13. Sixers coach says Fultz wanted to change his shot, spent the entire summer trying to.

Return to NBA Draft