Lonzo Ball

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Re: Lonzo Ball 

Post#41 » by reanimator » Sun Dec 4, 2016 2:45 am

Really like everything I've seen to this point and have him 3rd on my very early board. Not worried about PnR play or reluctance to drive to this point....as he has all the tools to excel at both.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#42 » by Marcus » Sun Dec 4, 2016 2:50 am

reanimator wrote:Really like everything I've seen to this point and have him 3rd on my very early board. Not worried about PnR play or reluctance to drive to this point....as he has all the tools to excel at both.

Yeah for this being his "big test" he didn't whither under it after a rough first half. Made adjustments for the second and quite frankly (which seems to be ignored) basically turned the tables on the UK PGs in the second half. Fox was absent and Briscoe looked like he had never heard of a baseline before.

Like I said before outside of some head to heads, this being one of them I've seen what I need to see from Lonzo and he's good money with me.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
LonZoBallin
Rookie
And1: 539

Post#43 » by LonZoBallin » Sun Dec 4, 2016 3:05 am

I may be bias but imo he should be the #1 overall pick. People always put him behind Fultz because he can't score like them, behind Fox and Smith because he isn't the athlete they are, but he does it all. And the most important part about being a good point guard, passing, he is in a league of his own.

Then we you add he is a winner, how can't he be the #1 overall pick? When is the last time Lonzo Ball lost a basketball game that meant something? I know his team never lost last season.

As Herman Edwards would say "we play to win the game" All ball does is win.

idc if the sixers take him, the kings, the suns, the twolves. Any team in the NBA takes lonzo ball and they will win games. He will come in the league and be a real player from the first game and will probably lead the league in assists one day. Usually guys that have games like him are poor athletes. That's not the case with Ball. He's an underrated athlete and an underrated scorer/shooter as well. He just looks for team mates as a point guard is suppose to do. Doesn't mean he can't score or shoot.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#44 » by SlowPaced » Sun Dec 4, 2016 3:23 am

Worm122 wrote:Lonzo Ball could be a poor Rajon Rondo?

Doubt it. He could end up being Rajon Rondo but a poor version of him, don't think so.

I see his ceiling as Jason Kidd right now, he's really impressed me so far.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#45 » by Marcus » Sun Dec 4, 2016 3:33 am

LonZoBallin wrote:I may be bias but imo he should be the #1 overall pick. People always put him behind Fultz because he can't score like them, behind Fox and Smith because he isn't the athlete they are, but he does it all. And the most important part about being a good point guard, passing, he is in a league of his own.

Then we you add he is a winner, how can't he be the #1 overall pick? When is the last time Lonzo Ball lost a basketball game that meant something? I know his team never lost last season.

idc if the sixers take him, the kings, the suns, the twolves. Any team in the NBA takes lonzo ball and they will win games. He will come in the league and be a real player from the first game and will probably lead the league in assists one day. Usually guys that have games like him are poor athletes. That's not the case with Ball. He's an underrated athlete and an underrated scorer/shooter as well. He just looks for team mates as a point guard is suppose to do. Doesn't mean he can't score or shoot.

:lol: that screen name combined with your intro statement equals classic.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#46 » by jonjames » Sun Dec 4, 2016 3:35 am

LonZoBallin wrote:I may be bias but imo he should be the #1 overall pick. People always put him behind Fultz because he can't score like them, behind Fox and Smith because he isn't the athlete they are, but he does it all. And the most important part about being a good point guard, passing, he is in a league of his own.

I have him as my #1 overall pick with all things considered skill, size, athleticism, feel for the game etc. The thing I like about him he is a winner and he makes the game look easy and enjoyable for his teammates. In their current stage of develpment, he is behind Smith jr tho as a player/pg bc he can't execute as well in the halfcourt as DSJ.
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#47 » by peachbucket » Sun Dec 4, 2016 5:08 am

SlowPaced wrote:
Worm122 wrote:Lonzo Ball could be a poor Rajon Rondo?

Doubt it. He could end up being Rajon Rondo but a poor version of him, don't think so.

I see his ceiling as Jason Kidd right now, he's really impressed me so far.

I would have to agree I see more potential than Rondo. I don't know if he will ever be the finisher that Kidd was due to his slighter build but he is already a better shooter than Kidd was at the same stage.
Worm122
Senior
And1: 91

Post#48 » by Worm122 » Sun Dec 4, 2016 10:16 am

Why Ball is being put over Fultz? I think that Fultz is more versatile on the offense than Ball.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,640

Post#49 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Dec 4, 2016 10:21 am

Marcus wrote:
paulbball wrote:I'm not sold on Lonzo. I believe he is on one of those hot shooting streaks. He was never a good shooter in high school and has extremely questionable shot mechanics.

This game, he struggled against NBA caliber guards disrupting his game during the first half.

Wait so 58/44/80 over his high school career means never a good shooter?

Ya he was actually first known as a really good shooter. He just had an off year shooting the 3 his senior year and he still shot 36%. He just has that very funky release, but his results have always been good and he still gets it off with ease.

Athleticism was a legit question mark for him during his earlier high school years, but he definitely started to gain athleticism his junior year, and his explosion has been increasing ever since. Now his athleticism is a strength.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,640

Post#50 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Dec 4, 2016 10:34 am

Worm122 wrote:Why Ball is being put over Fultz? I think that Fultz is more versatile on the offense than Ball.

I don't think anyone is saying their is a clear #1. I think most people agree there is a very close 3 horse race when it comes to who is the best PG.

I think most agree that it's mainly a preference choice. With that said Ball is the better defender, has been the more consistent shooter over the past few years and Ball is truly an elite setup man. He's a throw back pass first PG in the mold of Kidd. Also one thing you can't really look over is Ball has always been a winner. In high school his team was pretty much unbeatable and he's been a big reason that this UCLA team is going to be a top 5 team by Monday. Basically this same UCLA team didn't make the tournament last year and finished under .500.

Fultz isn't a great setup man. But he is an elite scorer. Fultz is a score first guy which is what the majority of the guards are now adays in the NBA. He's got great size for a combo guard and us very skilled and crafty. The dude is a stud. All 3 guys are studs, just in different ways.

Ball stud pass first PG.
Fultz stud scoring combo guard.
DSJ stud athletic freak PnR PG.

The nice thing with all 3 is they're very complete players. All good defenders, aren't extremely weak in any areas. Again I think it's a 3 horse race, it's all up to personal preference.
Goner
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#51 » by Goner » Sun Dec 4, 2016 11:17 am

Marcus wrote:
Goner wrote:
TheBunk wrote:Those turnovers came(for the most part) on errant passes. His handle looked fine. More disconcerting is his lack of penetration.

He wasn't getting ball screens very often in that game, idk why, but it looked like Kentucky's length was bothering him a lot early in the game. He cleaned it up in the second half and seemed to make adjustments.

He got a bunch of Ball screens just didn't attack the bigs enough. Settled a bit too much for jumpers on those switches. Needed to penetrate a little more.

I would agree with all of this, but I don't think he received enough ball-screens to learn the defense in the typical sense. It was enough for a solid sample size, but not enough for a rhythm.
Worm122
Senior
And1: 91

Post#52 » by Worm122 » Sun Dec 4, 2016 1:41 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Worm122 wrote:Why Ball is being put over Fultz? I think that Fultz is more versatile on the offense than Ball.

I don't think anyone is saying their is a clear #1. I think most people agree there is a very close 3 horse race when it comes to who is the best PG.

I think most agree that it's mainly a preference choice. With that said Ball is the better defender, has been the more consistent shooter over the past few years and Ball is truly an elite setup man. He's a throw back pass first PG in the mold of Kidd. Also one thing you can't really look over is Ball has always been a winner. In high school his team was pretty much unbeatable and he's been a big reason that this UCLA team is going to be a top 5 team by Monday. Basically this same UCLA team didn't make the tournament last year and finished under .500.

Fultz isn't a great setup man. But he is an elite scorer. Fultz is a score first guy which is what the majority of the guards are now adays in the NBA. He's got great size for a combo guard and us very skilled and crafty. The dude is a stud. All 3 guys are studs, just in different ways.

Ball stud pass first PG.

The nice thing with all 3 is they're very complete players. All good defenders, aren't extremely weak in any areas. Again I think it's a 3 horse race, it's all up to personal preference.

Thanks man, now i understand what the users are saying, in yours opinion wich of this three will be a better fit to the Sixers?
LonZoBallin
Rookie

Post#53 » by LonZoBallin » Sun Dec 4, 2016 3:47 pm

Worm122 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Ball stud pass first PG.

Thanks man, now i understand what the users are saying, in yours opinion wich of this three will be a better fit to the Sixers?

I'd stay Fultz only because I don't think Ball would play that well with Simmons. I think the sixers will play Simmons a lot at the 1. Fultz is more of a 2 guard.

sixers need shooting/scoring that's fultz
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#54 » by Marcus » Sun Dec 4, 2016 4:18 pm

Worm122 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Ball stud pass first PG.

Fultz by a landslide. Playing Ball with Ben puts him in a spot up catch and shoot capacity and takes away from his game I think. Especially considering he's a pass first PG.

DSJ could work just because Philly needs another scorer in general BUT for Ben to be maximized early on in his career think he'd be better off with the ball in his hands. Dennis IMO takes that away and vice versa. They could end up in a Kyrie/Bron capacity but Dennis isnt a consistent shooter at the moment. Plus there's the Embiid element and making sure he gets his touches.

Fultz is ideal because he can shoot the rock and play off the ball. Ben can be primary ball handler with Fultz attacking when needed and being an outlet in the half court for JoJo and Ben. Nobody loses touches, everybody gets fed, just a better fit. The best fit IMO.
Watch More Basketball

LonZoBallin
Rookie

Post#55 » by LonZoBallin » Sun Dec 4, 2016 5:20 pm

Marcus wrote:
Worm122 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Ball stud pass first PG.

Fultz by a landslide. Playing Ball with Ben puts him in a spot up catch and shoot capacity and takes away from his game I think. Especially considering he's a pass first PG.

DSJ could work just because Philly needs another scorer in general BUT for Ben to be maximized early on in his career think he'd be better off with the ball in his hands. Dennis IMO takes that away and vice versa. They could end up in a Kyrie/Bron capacity but Dennis isnt a consistent shooter at the moment. Plus there's the Embiid element and making sure he gets his touches.

Fultz is ideal because he can shoot the rock and play off the ball. Ben can be primary ball handler with Fultz attacking when needed and being an outlet in the half court for JoJo and Ben. Nobody loses touches, everybody gets fed, just a better fit. The best fit IMO.

If the sixers can get Fultz or DSJ with their pick and a wing like (monk, Tatum, Issac, Bridges or Fergouson) with the lakers pick, they could turn things around very fast.

Because the draft is so Point guard heavy, if I was the sixers drafting top 3(their pick) 8-14(lakers pick) I might go after Josh Jackson if he's available in the top 3. Then fill my point guard spot with the lakers pick.

If they can walk away with Josh Jackson and Ntilikina, fox or Frank Jackson it might be the way to go. I also think one of Fultz, DSJ, Ball and Fox will drop just due to a team not needing a point guard. I just don't see 3 point guards going top 5. Especially when the Suns and Boston will almost be locks for top 5 picks.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Post#56 » by madmaxmedia » Sun Dec 4, 2016 6:11 pm

I am actually thinking Ball would work well with the Sixers, or any team with some significant scoring threats. I guess that's because I'm unsure what Simmon's most effective position will be in the NBA. Ball doesn't seem to be as ball-dominant (irony haha) at PG than other top PG's. If Simmons favorite/most effective spot is anywhere other than facing the basket from top of the key, then a good PG may help him and the team overall.

OTOH if your team is in early rebuilding mode and doesn't have a #1 scorer, then Fultz is obviously your guy. He has been amazing to watch so far.

Ball didn't have a great Kentucky game but did much better in the 2nd half, and the fact that they won is pretty incredible. So far this season, I am pretty sure he is a big reason guys like Leaf (who is great freshmen too) and Welsh are looking as good as they do. Leaf is shooting 67% FG and Welsh 57%.
LonZoBallin
Rookie

Post#57 » by LonZoBallin » Sun Dec 4, 2016 7:08 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:I am actually thinking Ball would work well with the Sixers, or any team with some significant scoring threats. I guess that's because I'm unsure what Simmon's most effective position will be in the NBA. Ball doesn't seem to be as ball-dominant (irony haha) at PG than other top PG's. If Simmons favorite/most effective spot is anywhere other than facing the basket from top of the key, then a good PG may help him and the team overall.

OTOH if your team is in early rebuilding mode and doesn't have a #1 scorer, then Fultz is obviously your guy. He has been amazing to watch so far.

Ball didn't have a great Kentucky game but did much better in the 2nd half, and the fact that they won is pretty incredible. So far this season, I am pretty sure he is a big reason guys like Leaf (who is great freshmen too) and Welsh are looking as good as they do. Leaf is shooting 67% FG and Welsh 57%.

The problem is the sixers don't have significant scoring threats. I would agree that Ball isn't a ball-dominant guard. Lots of his assists come from touch passes to bigs as soon as he gets it. He's already thinking about who he's going to pass to before he gets it and keeps the flow of the game moving without making turnovers.

I will admit watching 4 big guys that can pass like Embiid, Simmons, Saric and Ball on the court at the same time could be a beautiful thing to see. I just believe they need scoring and shooting so Fultz or DSJ...maybe even Fox, would be a better fit.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,533

Post#58 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Dec 4, 2016 7:28 pm

Well he has the most natural tanking motto/hashtag of any prospect in a few years #FallforBall
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,810

Post#59 » by HotelVitale » Mon Dec 5, 2016 1:13 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Well he has the most natural tanking motto/hashtag of any prospect in a few years #FallforBall

#Smell4Markelle?
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#60 » by Slartibartfast » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:24 pm

There are so many penetrating guards and wings in the league nowadays that a guy who can run an offense outside of spamming pick and rolls can be a huge weapon. Especially when that guy can hit the 3, rebound and defend multiple positions.

Return to NBA Draft