Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Re: Lonzo Ball 

Post#821 » by Slartibartfast » Wed May 31, 2017 11:21 pm

Anyone see young Brent Barry with better vision as a good comp for Lonzo?
ph1sh55
Senior
And1: 0

Post#822 » by ph1sh55 » Thu Jun 1, 2017 12:09 am

Slartibartfast wrote:Anyone see young Brent Barry with better vision as a good comp for Lonzo?

Barry was definitely a better slasher/more athletic around the rim when he joined the league, but I kinda like that comparison. Barry was a great passer in his own right but probably not as dynamic vision wise as Ball, had a similarly funky looking set shot but it went in at a high rate, and wasn't that great at creating his own shot either from what I recall (though he played around that flaw just fine). One of the better comps imo!

Even if he didn't rise above the level of a solid starter he always seemed to have a positive effect on his teams.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#823 » by nolang1 » Thu Jun 1, 2017 12:32 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:
TheRealKaboom wrote:Lonzo Ball's best comp is Draymond Green? :lol:

Why stop there? How about Shaq as Lonzo's best comp? Or maybe Bryant "Big Country" Reeves?

Some fools comparing him to Jason Kidd, JASON KIDD. You should have been outraged a long time back

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Why is Jason Kidd such an outrageous comparison? Ball is a tall athletic pass first PG with great vision and passing and is ultimate floor and offensive general. He also set the Pac-12 freshman assist record and set the UCLA single season assist record. I think that is a pretty good comparison to Kidd.

Because Kidd was on an all-defense team 9 times and most people are just hoping that Lonzo isn't too much of a negative on that end.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#824 » by JellosJigglin » Thu Jun 1, 2017 2:25 pm

nolang1 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:
Some fools comparing him to Jason Kidd, JASON KIDD. You should have been outraged a long time back

Why is Jason Kidd such an outrageous comparison? Ball is a tall athletic pass first PG with great vision and passing and is ultimate floor and offensive general. He also set the Pac-12 freshman assist record and set the UCLA single season assist record. I think that is a pretty good comparison to Kidd.

Because Kidd was on an all-defense team 9 times and most people are just hoping that Lonzo isn't too much of a negative on that end.

So then just ignore all the other similarities? :crazy:
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#825 » by Jkam31 » Thu Jun 1, 2017 2:33 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Like what besides passing cause Kidd was able to create for him self and run pick and rolls

Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Re: RE: Re: Lonzo Ball 

Post#826 » by Rockmaninoff » Thu Jun 1, 2017 4:13 pm

Jkam31 wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

Like what besides passing cause Kidd was able to create for him self and run pick and rolls

Yes, Jason Kidd could create for himself and run pick and roll and post a career .507 TS. I think Ball could be inefficient too if he did stuff he wasn't good at.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#827 » by reanimator » Thu Jun 1, 2017 4:37 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:Anyone see young Brent Barry with better vision as a good comp for Lonzo?

Stylistically I can see this but on steroids...much better rebounder and defensively to go with the vision. I expect Lonzo to shoot a higher volume of 3s at a similar clip, too.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,531

Post#828 » by zzaj » Thu Jun 1, 2017 4:40 pm

Rockmaninoff wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:

Yes, Jason Kidd could create for himself and run pick and roll and post a career .507 TS. I think Ball could be inefficient too if he did stuff he wasn't good at.

People also tend to forget that Kidd was probably the best rebounding guard of his generation. I highly doubt Ball is going to be anywhere near the rebounder Kidd was.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#829 » by Marcus » Thu Jun 1, 2017 5:06 pm

zzaj wrote:
Rockmaninoff wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:

People also tend to forget that Kidd was probably the best rebounding guard of his generation. I highly doubt Ball is going to be anywhere near the rebounder Kidd was.

because?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#830 » by Slartibartfast » Thu Jun 1, 2017 5:09 pm

reanimator wrote:

Stylistically I can see this but on steroids...much better rebounder and defensively to go with the vision. I expect Lonzo to shoot a higher volume of 3s at a similar clip, too.

Rebounding yes. I love how Ball rebounds - really puts his length and bounce to work.

Not as sure about defense. They both have long skinny legs problems - better team/off-ball defenders than man defenders as a result.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#831 » by Slartibartfast » Thu Jun 1, 2017 5:14 pm

Marcus wrote:
zzaj wrote:
Rockmaninoff wrote:Yes, Jason Kidd could create for himself and run pick and roll and post a career .507 TS. I think Ball could be inefficient too if he did stuff he wasn't good at.

because?

I think Lonzo will be a fine rebounder because of his length, timing and leaping ability.

But the big thing separating him from Kidd is strength and power. Kidd was a brute.

Lonzo closer to Rondo as a rebounder than Kidd, I think.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Lonzo Ball 

Post#832 » by Rockmaninoff » Thu Jun 1, 2017 5:16 pm

zzaj wrote:
Rockmaninoff wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:

Jason Kidd career rebounding %:

O - 4.0
D - 16.0

Lonzo Ball freshman year rebounding %:

O - 3.2
D - 16.3

Rebounding is said to be the most transferable stat. :dontknow:
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#833 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jun 1, 2017 6:15 pm

Rockmaninoff wrote:
zzaj wrote:
Rockmaninoff wrote:Yes, Jason Kidd could create for himself and run pick and roll and post a career .507 TS. I think Ball could be inefficient too if he did stuff he wasn't good at.

O - 4.0
D - 16.0

O - 3.2
D - 16.3

Yup. Ball grabbed 6 boards a game as a freshman compared to Kidd grabbing 5. Not saying Ball is the better rebounder, but not seeing why Ball cant be considered as good of a rebounding prospect coming into the league as Kidd was.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#834 » by Lalouie » Thu Jun 1, 2017 9:29 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Rockmaninoff wrote:
zzaj wrote:

O - 4.0
D - 16.0

O - 3.2
D - 16.3

Yup. Ball grabbed 6 boards a game as a freshman compared to Kidd grabbing 5. Not saying Ball is the better rebounder, but not seeing why Ball cant be considered as good of a rebounding prospect coming into the league as Kidd was.

Zo has a nose for the ball. Yes every good player does but zo proved it by making timely huge plays again and again and again all year. He is a big play player which no one has brought up
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#835 » by Marcus » Thu Jun 1, 2017 10:01 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Rockmaninoff wrote:
zzaj wrote:

O - 4.0
D - 16.0

O - 3.2
D - 16.3

Especially considering it's not like Kidd was banging ala Ben Wallace or Antonio Davis for boards. He read the ball off the rim, got rebounds by hitting the open area on the floor and excellent timing with his pursuit. Its the same thing Lonzo shows when he grabs boards. It's essentially a staple of rebounders who aren't traditional bigs. Read the ball, time your pursuit, give the necessary effort.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,531

Post#836 » by zzaj » Thu Jun 1, 2017 11:57 pm

These are all fair points re: Ball vs. Kidd as rebounders in the NBA.

Ball certainly has the makings of a good rebounder in the NBA (especially if he's used at PG). Part of my thinking was the context in which they in the NBA. For various reasons, I think Ball will be a lot more perimeter oriented which doesn't lend itself to rebounding. Kidd's game changed over time but it seemed like in his peak years, he always ended up near the rim when shots were going up and he could use his smarts, size and strength to corral rebounds.

I guess my question is, do you think the difference in the NBA style of play, then vs. now, will effect Ball's game at the NBA level. Even in his peak years, I guess I just have a hard time seeing him average 7+ rebounds a game.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#837 » by Marcus » Fri Jun 2, 2017 12:27 am

zzaj wrote:These are all fair points re: Ball vs. Kidd as rebounders in the NBA.

Ball certainly has the makings of a good rebounder in the NBA (especially if he's used at PG). Part of my thinking was the context in which they in the NBA. For various reasons, I think Ball will be a lot more perimeter oriented which doesn't lend itself to rebounding. Kidd's game changed over time but it seemed like in his peak years, he always ended up near the rim when shots were going up and he could use his smarts, size and strength to corral rebounds.

I guess my question is, do you think the difference in the NBA style of play, then vs. now, will effect Ball's game at the NBA level. Even in his peak years, I guess I just have a hard time seeing him average 7+ rebounds a game.

I think a lot of it is dependent on his role with the team he's with, the same way it did with Kidd, the same way it does with a lot of high IQ players. If you noticed a lot of the big board games Zo racked up or big rebound stretches he had were in conjunction with team need at the time. the ball needed to be pushed and the outlets weren't coming quick enough so he went and positioned himself for defensive boards.

It's a function of need. If the team needs him to crash and help out or the pace calls for him to do so then he can grab those 5 to 7 boards any given game. If the team has bigs that will get the ball out fast enough to get the pace jumping and play to his strengths he won't need to and therefore those numbers may dip.

Kidd was the same way and always played with fast pace teams where the rebounding help was necessary. Only time we didn't see that he was OAF so it wasn't expected and even then when he clearly wasn't athletic enough or had a sturdy build to bang he still grabbed a good number of boards with the same strengths that he and Lonzo both posses which I mentioned in an earlier post.
Watch More Basketball

Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#838 » by Lalouie » Fri Jun 2, 2017 2:17 am

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Rockmaninoff wrote:Jason Kidd career rebounding %:

O - 4.0
D - 16.0

O - 3.2
D - 16.3

Especially considering it's not like Kidd was banging ala Ben Wallace or Antonio Davis for boards. He read the ball off the rim, got rebounds by hitting the open area on the floor and excellent timing with his pursuit. Its the same thing Lonzo shows when he grabs boards. It's essentially a staple of rebounders who aren't traditional bigs. Read the ball, time your pursuit, give the necessary effort.

The team that drafts Zo and uses him well, IMHO of course, will ALLOW Zo Ball to get boards and take early advantage of the way his brain sees the whole floor unfolding.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#839 » by Chris76 » Fri Jun 2, 2017 2:58 am

Lalouie wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

The team that drafts Zo and uses him well, IMHO of course, will ALLOW Zo Ball to get boards and take early advantage of the way his brain sees the whole floor unfolding.

Ball seems to get good position and anticipation for rebounds. Its amazing how some bigs don't look for position, first when rebounding. Anyway, those long rebounds allow Ball to start fast breaks and pinpoint passing for quick points. Similarly, ben simmons gets good position for rebounds which he uses to start fast breaks. Both, should add excitement and uptempo for their teams.
FuriousRiles
Senior
And1: 749

Post#840 » by FuriousRiles » Sun Jun 4, 2017 2:49 am

Read on Twitter

Return to NBA Draft