dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,817

Re: Dennis Smith Jr 

Post#341 » by dirkforpres » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:37 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
damecurry wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
If the Mavericks get Jrue Holiday do they still draft a guard?

The draft happens before FA does so your question doesn't make sense.

Yes, but its been reported both Jrue and his brother could go to the Mavericks. Would the Mavericks draft a point guard to make them a back up? Or would they want them to start? Why does that rumor exist if they've been talking about drafting a point guard? Maybe the rumor is false then. But I think the Mavericks want to compete right now with Dirk's career dwindling and I don't think they could do that by starting a rookie point guard.

I doubt the Holidays come. Doesn't make financial sense without the moving around of some bad contracts (Matthews/Powell) and the increasing likelihood that the Mavs are in a position to draft a legit PG like Smith or Ntilikina.

If Dallas trades Wes and drafts either Monk or Isaac, then I'd be more interested in turning the wheels on the Mavs and Holiday
FIRE JASON KIDD
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,316

Post#342 » by Knightro » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:47 pm

I'm so torn with this kid.

On one hand, he has everything you want from a "modern" NBA lead guard. He insanely athletic. He can finish around the rim at a high level. He has that aggressive mentality that fits so well in the pace and space era. And it looks like he's going to put in the work to develop that jumper.

The problem is everything else. I watch him play and I see a guy who doesn't defend, doesn't pass effectively, doesn't make great decisions with the ball, hangs his head when things aren't going well. Basically anything that isn't scoring, he hasn't shown an ability to do effectively.

I have no doubt that Dennis Smith Jr. could step onto an NBA court right now and average 18 a game.

I just don't know if he's good enough at anything else.

There's a very fine line between pre-injuries Derrick Rose and Steve Francis.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#343 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:03 pm

Knightro wrote:I have no doubt that Dennis Smith Jr. could step onto an NBA court right now and average 18 a game.

Most players can't do this. If you can find a player who can do this, you draft him very high. In so many cases the freakishly athletic point guards seem to work out pretty well.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#344 » by doordoor123 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Knightro wrote:I'm so torn with this kid.

On one hand, he has everything you want from a "modern" NBA lead guard. He insanely athletic. He can finish around the rim at a high level. He has that aggressive mentality that fits so well in the pace and space era. And it looks like he's going to put in the work to develop that jumper.

The problem is everything else. I watch him play and I see a guy who doesn't defend, doesn't pass effectively, doesn't make great decisions with the ball, hangs his head when things aren't going well. Basically anything that isn't scoring, he hasn't shown an ability to do effectively.

I have no doubt that Dennis Smith Jr. could step onto an NBA court right now and average 18 a game.

He's what, 19? If he could score that much it's pretty damn good at 19. The rest can be learned if he has the mental capacity.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,607

Post#345 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Not too many 19 year olds can step in and give you 18 points right off the bat. While yes he is a score first guy, he definitely showed pretty good vision and passing out of the PnR, he did lead the ACC in assists.

Is getting Steve Francis a bad thing? Francis was ROY and a 3x All Star. If we are talking about a guy that could be Francis but without budding heads with every head coach and getting suspended for conduct detrimental to the team then suffering bad knees, we are talking about a guy that is going to give you probably 20+ points and 7+ assists while being a 5X+ all star.

We are talking about a freak athlete that has elite handles and can run the PnR very well both scoring and passing. Dont ever expect him to be a great defender, but there are like only 1 or 2 good defensive PGs in the league that give you any offense anyways. This dude has the potential to be an elite offensive PG.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#346 » by LofJ » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:33 pm

Smith is going to slip to Dallas and light the league on fire once he matures a bit. And then we can add yet another North Carolina born All-Star point guard to the list (CP3, Curry, Wall, and DSJ).

At least the Hornets have Kemba.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#347 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:47 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

Not too many 19 year olds can step in and give you 18 points right off the bat. While yes he is a score first guy, he definitely showed pretty good vision and passing out of the PnR, he did lead the ACC in assists.

Is getting Steve Francis a bad thing? Francis was ROY and a 3x All Star. If we are talking about a guy that could be Francis but without budding heads with every head coach and getting suspended for conduct detrimental to the team then suffering bad knees, we are talking about a guy that is going to give you probably 20+ points and 7+ assists while being a 5X+ all star.

We are talking about a freak athlete that has elite handles and can run the PnR very well both scoring and passing. Dont ever expect him to be a great defender, but there are like only 1 or 2 good defensive PGs in the league that give you any offense anyways. This dude has the potential to be an elite offensive PG.

Sure they can, getting 18ppg isnt heard now will he get the mimutes or fga to get that 18 is another story but for any of these high level freshman scoring points is very easy its the defense and other things involved that dont give them minutes or freedom offensively to do that
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#348 » by Knightro » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:20 pm

Scoring 18 PPG isn't *THAT* difficult to do. 44 guys did it this year.

Doing it efficiently and also making winning plays in other areas of the game = much tougher.
toussaud
Junior
And1: 238

Post#349 » by toussaud » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:53 pm

i'm a firm believer that i can teach a kid to shoot as long as his shot isn't MKG broke. at 19 years old i'm more weary of a kid who is a 40% three point shooter than a kid who can't shoot.. the kid who can't shoot hasn't had to learn to shot yet cause no one has yet to be able to stop him from doing what he wnts to do.

lebron couldn't shot., wade still can't shot lol.

i don't want a freshman that is used to pulling up and has prefected his three point shot.. not picking in the top 10
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#350 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:40 pm

Knightro wrote:Scoring 18 PPG isn't *THAT* difficult to do. 44 guys did it this year.

As rookies? Wow!

I was under the impression last year's rookie class wasn't that great. But maybe I'm wrong.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#351 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:42 pm

toussaud wrote:i'm a firm believer that i can teach a kid to shoot as long as his shot isn't MKG broke. at 19 years old i'm more weary of a kid who is a 40% three point shooter than a kid who can't shoot.. the kid who can't shoot hasn't had to learn to shot yet cause no one has yet to be able to stop him from doing what he wnts to do.

This is really dumb.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#352 » by Knightro » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:10 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Knightro wrote:Scoring 18 PPG isn't *THAT* difficult to do. 44 guys did it this year.

As rookies? Wow!

I was under the impression last year's rookie class wasn't that great. But maybe I'm wrong.

:lol:

Snarkyness aside. There's usually at least one rookie who gets to 18 PPG every year. Mayo, Tyreke, Blake, Kyrie, Lillard, Towns, Embiid. It happens more than you think.

Smith Jr. will definitely get there if he goes to a team without a lot of scoring. It might not be that efficient and his team might not win a lot, but considering team success is rarely factored in when determining Rookie of the Year, I think Smith is a great dark horse candidate.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#353 » by EvanZ » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:36 am

Knightro wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

As rookies? Wow!

:lol:

Snarkyness aside. There's usually at least one rookie who gets to 18 PPG every year. Mayo, Tyreke, Blake, Kyrie, Lillard, Towns, Embiid. It happens more than you think.

I mean, aside from Mayo or Tyreke, you'd be doing well if you got those other guys even with the #1 pick.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#354 » by reanimator » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:48 am

Novocaine wrote:Don't think Ast/Tov rates are particularly enlightening statistics to make the point

Read on Twitter

At the least, it shows he is unselfish and values the ball, especially when his situation warranted chucking.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#355 » by rzzzzz » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:53 am

so...DSJ is in Boston tonight, and will work out for them tomorrow. (just coincidence.)

http://nesn.com/2017/06/nba-rumors-celtics-holding-workout-for-dennis-smith-jr-a-potential-pottery-pick/
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#356 » by DrCoach » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:25 am

Doing it efficiently and also making winning plays in other areas of the game = much tougher.

?
How many were rookies
toussaud
Junior
And1: 238

Post#357 » by toussaud » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:52 am

this is silly

rookies don't score 18 a game cause they don't get 20 shots a game. no one is going to give a rookie 20 shots a game.

unless you're lebron, KD
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#358 » by E-Balla » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:20 pm

reanimator wrote:
Novocaine wrote:Don't think Ast/Tov rates are particularly enlightening statistics to make the point

Read on Twitter

At the least, it shows he is unselfish and values the ball, especially when his situation warranted chucking.

Any reason he's being compared to guys that ran SG when he ran PG at Washington?
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,669

Post#359 » by SelfishPlayer » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:57 pm

toussaud wrote:i'm a firm believer that i can teach a kid to shoot as long as his shot isn't MKG broke. at 19 years old i'm more weary of a kid who is a 40% three point shooter than a kid who can't shoot.. the kid who can't shoot hasn't had to learn to shot yet cause no one has yet to be able to stop him from doing what he wnts to do.

i don't want a freshman that is used to pulling up and has prefected his three point shot.. not picking in the top 10

Dennis Smith Jr. gets credit for having a great handle when that isn't the case. He doesn't have much of a break down dribble game, but he does have a crazy first step that he will use to attack an open driving lane. For The space that he needs to get his shot off he overly relies upon picks/screens and people greatly respecting his first step daring him to shoot or just simply falling asleep infront of a shooter. DSJ is not nearly as impressive of a ball handler as the guys he's commonly compared.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#360 » by reanimator » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:21 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:

Dennis Smith Jr. gets credit for having a great handle when that isn't the case. He doesn't have much of a break down dribble game, but he does have a crazy first step that he will use to attack an open driving lane. For The space that he needs to get his shot off he overly relies upon picks/screens and people greatly respecting his first step daring him to shoot or just simply falling asleep infront of a shooter. DSJ is not nearly as impressive of a ball handler as the guys he's commonly compared.

I have to agree. I'm not seeing this super slick creative handle I keep hearing about. DSJ is a north-south downhill attacker who uses power and his 1st step to get to the rim. Doesn't have amazing footwork or shiftiness.

Return to NBA Draft