Malik Monk

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Malik Monk 

Post#21 » by No-Man » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:05 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:So if he isn't long enough to compare to JR and not atletic enough to be a Lillard type of player how about Eric Gordon after his injuries as a comparison? They are around the same height and Eric is taking a ton of threes this season, which is something Monk also does.

Gordon is also playing much better D than Monk, and before the injuries he could really go to the rack and put pressure on the defense inside, has had several seasons over 5FTM per game at the NBA level, not seeing that with Malik, Gordon has a different built also, much sturdier and strong, Monk is kind of like LaVine/JR, just shorter and smaller.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,668

Post#22 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:32 pm

This is a league where Louis Williams is currently giving nearly 19 ppg off the bench as a scorer as an 11 year vet. If Monk projects to be as good as Lou is, well, that is without question worth a top-ten pick. Monk has scoring instincts you can't teach. Even if dude projects to be a 6th man scorer deluxe, like say a bigger Jason Terry, that's a guy who has scored over 18,000 points in the NBA.

If you believe Monk is going to be able to score in the NBA like that (forget defense for a moment as no one comes in dominating on D, especially the guards with all the screen roll action), well you'd be foolish to take bums like Hezonja or Cauley-Stein or Smart or Stauskas or Vonleh over him.

All those guys have better height/measurables, yet are all worse basketball players.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
No-Man
RealGM

Post#23 » by No-Man » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:35 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:If Monk projects to be as good as Lou is, well, that is without question worth a top-ten pick.

that's where we differ, I dont think that's even close to be true, Lou is great and all but the cost/opportunity of getting a player like him doesnt warrant a top10 pick.
Plus Lou is a lefty that goes to the rim plenty and is a sick finisher, I dont think their games are that alike honestly.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,668

Post#24 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:44 pm

Fischella wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:If Monk projects to be as good as Lou is, well, that is without question worth a top-ten pick.

that's where we differ, I dont think that's even close to be true, Lou is great and all but the cost/opportunity of getting a player like him doesnt warrant a top10 pick.
Plus Lou is a lefty that goes to the rim plenty and is a sick finisher, I dont think their games are that alike honestly.

So do you actually care about how guys are going to perform on the pro level? Or are you strictly looking at a draft board?

The reason I ask is because there was no way Myles Turner wasn't a top 5 pick, yet for some stupid reason he went 11th. I'm not even using hindsight. Malik Monk, barring injury, is going to score a lot of points in the NBA, probably way more than Doug McDermott, a lottery pick, yet, you still feel he should be picked where?
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
No-Man
RealGM

Post#25 » by No-Man » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:57 pm

I feel like there are better opportunities that high than Monk, who's fine I guess but just doesnt do it for me, it's not all about scoring anyway.
Turner fell due to his lack of mobility/athleticism, and he has pretty awful feet on the PnR, not a strong rebounder, and he has unicorn potential but the shooting is not there yet plus you could tell that his profile was strictly a complimentary guy, a high ceiling one, but there were realistic concerns with his profile, also some teams were dumb enough to draft WCS and Kaminsky crazy high.

I'm fine with Monk as a 1st rounder, just no way I'd draft him that high, I think somewhere after the top15 or so.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#26 » by bigboi » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:17 pm

Fischella wrote:
bigboi wrote:
Fischella wrote:He is still much more like JR Smith than Russell Westbrook, he is rythm shooter but his athleticism is so lost in the suffle, cant really drive, floater game looks promising and his defense on his man is alright, but other than that is LaVine-esque, still, an off guard that can shoot like him and has some untapped potential athletically is interesting, but unless he turns into Avery Bradley as a defender, I am not sure I am buying stock on him, he looks more like a situational guy than a true stud or a first offensive option.

There's zero reason why he can't be a Klay Thompson type player on offense at least

Klay is a much sounder shooter in terms of going to his spots, catching in rythm, he is not gonna go hot/cold as much, plus he can shoot over anybody at 6'8, Monk doesnt have that type of length and he doesnt have the ballhandling or shake that smaller Guards like McCollum do, if he hones his defensive skills he might be able to be an Avery Bradley type or something like that, but most likely than not he ends up as an elite 6th man, which has value and all that, just not top10 of the draft value.

Monk has elite off the ball movement and is excellent at picking his spots. You're comparing him to Avery Bradley although he's much farther ahead. Makes zero sense. If Monk keeps playing like this, he is pretty much guaranteed top 10
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,666

Post#27 » by SelfishPlayer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:41 pm

CJ McCollum and Jason Terry are the comps for this guy from my perspective.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#28 » by CptCrunch » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:08 pm

Shooters get hot. What else do we need to know?

Crappy measurement for a SG. Can't defend well. Can't play PG. Can't distribute or rebound.

Good prospect? Yes. Top 5 prospect, GTFO.

Run of the mill undersized screen shooter. If the guy was 6'6" barefeet like Klay, I would take him top 3.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#29 » by kennydorglas » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:11 am

I dont like his shot selection at all but this guy is just hitting everything.
I like the comp w/ a smaller LaVine.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
tsmith
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#30 » by tsmith » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:58 am

People who are saying he is inconsistent clearly are'nt watching him. He scoring a hell of a lot more consistently then a number of probable lottery picks.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,490

Post#31 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:22 am

bigboi wrote:
Fischella wrote:
bigboi wrote:
There's zero reason why he can't be a Klay Thompson type player on offense at least

Klay is a much sounder shooter in terms of going to his spots, catching in rythm, he is not gonna go hot/cold as much, plus he can shoot over anybody at 6'8, Monk doesnt have that type of length and he doesnt have the ballhandling or shake that smaller Guards like McCollum do, if he hones his defensive skills he might be able to be an Avery Bradley type or something like that, but most likely than not he ends up as an elite 6th man, which has value and all that, just not top10 of the draft value.

Monk has elite off the ball movement and is excellent at picking his spots. You're comparing him to Avery Bradley although he's much farther ahead. Makes zero sense. If Monk keeps playing like this, he is pretty much guaranteed top 10

Much farther ahead? Did you see Bradley play befor he got to Boston? Bradley was the number one overall high school recruit on espn's list and top five on every other. He was excellent off the ball and his defense was way ahead of Monk. He fell in the draft after not putting up eye popping numbers at Texas but he was still a pretty efficient outside shooter and a more explosive athlete. Mocks had him 10-20 in a good 2010 draft. M
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,490

Post#32 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:24 am

paulbball wrote:Shooters get hot. What else do we need to know?

Crappy measurement for a SG. Can't defend well. Can't play PG. Can't distribute or rebound.

Run of the mill undersized screen shooter. If the guy was 6'6" barefeet like Klay, I would take him top 3.

Run of the mill? How many freshman average twenty a game as freshman, let alone for a program like Kentucky?
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#33 » by sipclip » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:52 am

I'm praying that gm's think similar to Fischella so that he drops a little in this draft and the jazz do what they can to trade up. This kid would be an incredible fit with Hayward and Hood since both of them can handle the ball so that Monk is not relied on as a primary ball handler.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#34 » by Hoops23 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:36 am

with the 7th pick in the 2017 NBA draft, the Miami Heat select "Malik Monk" from Kentucky
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#35 » by Marcus » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:06 pm

Hoops23 wrote:with the 7th pick in the 2017 NBA draft, the Miami Heat select "Malik Monk" from Duke

Wrong blue blood
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by bigboi » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:56 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
bigboi wrote:
Fischella wrote:Klay is a much sounder shooter in terms of going to his spots, catching in rythm, he is not gonna go hot/cold as much, plus he can shoot over anybody at 6'8, Monk doesnt have that type of length and he doesnt have the ballhandling or shake that smaller Guards like McCollum do, if he hones his defensive skills he might be able to be an Avery Bradley type or something like that, but most likely than not he ends up as an elite 6th man, which has value and all that, just not top10 of the draft value.

Much farther ahead? Did you see Bradley play befor he got to Boston? Bradley was the number one overall high school recruit on espn's list and top five on every other. He was excellent off the ball and his defense was way ahead of Monk. He fell in the draft after not putting up eye popping numbers at Texas but he was still a pretty efficient outside shooter and a more explosive athlete. Mocks had him 10-20 in a good 2010 draft. M

Austin Rivers was the #1 recruit at one point.... Monk is so much more ahead of Bradley on offense, not even a question. And Bradley more explosive? Rofl
tlee324 wrote:

CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by CptCrunch » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:10 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:

Run of the mill? How many freshman average twenty a game as freshman, let alone for a program like Kentucky?

Ben Mclemore was basically the same player. A better version in fact. Legit 2 guard size, better pure shooter, more efficient to boot.

One dimensional shooter types usually don't do well in the league. You certainly don't take an undersized pure shooting guard in a PG's body in the top 5.
bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by bigboi » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:06 pm

paulbball wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:

Ben Mclemore was basically the same player. A better version in fact. Legit 2 guard size, better pure shooter, more efficient to boot.

One dimensional shooter types usually don't do well in the league. You certainly don't take an undersized pure shooting guard in a PG's body in the top 5.

:lol: Mclemore was barely more efficient. Monk's TS is .627 while Mclemore's is .633 all while Monk scores like 5 points more. So how is Mclemore a better version?
tlee324 wrote:

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#39 » by stitches » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:09 pm

sipclip wrote:I'm praying that gm's think similar to Fischella so that he drops a little in this draft and the jazz do what they can to trade up. This kid would be an incredible fit with Hayward and Hood since both of them can handle the ball so that Monk is not relied on as a primary ball handler.

Yes! I would love Monk on the Jazz! Holy ****, would that be epic! Unfortunately, I don't think he falls far enough for us to take him :(
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by CptCrunch » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:50 pm

bigboi wrote:
paulbball wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:

:lol: Mclemore was barely more efficient. Monk's TS is .627 while Mclemore's is .633 all while Monk scores like 5 points more. So how is Mclemore a better version?

McLemore had a substantially lower usage rate, was actually the first option and playing with future NBA 'superstars' such as Jeff Withey, Travis Relefor and Elijah Johnson.

Monk shares the scoring load this year with Briscoe and Fox. Briscoe is the ball pounder and does most of the creation. Briscoe, Fox, Bam and Gabriel are all guaranteed future NBA players. Putting up numbers on a stack team is substantially easier than being the first and only option on a depleted year for Kansas.

Return to NBA Draft