D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,349

Re: Mt. Zion from the FT line 

Post#441 » by D.Brasco » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:58 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Ya hes a better athlete than AD. I might even give him the edge over LeBron (again just on athleticism, not skill). The dude basically gets an As and A+ in almost every category athletically. He is truly a freak athlete.

How do you balance his athleticism with his perceived average physical attributes in reach and wingspan?

AD is a great athlete with an amazing wingspan for example.

His wingspan has been measured from 6'10 to 6'11. The guys I know at Duke always tell me they have his at 6'11. Either way, a 6'10 or 6'11 wingspan is not bad for a guy that is 6'6. Also another thing to factor in is how freaking big and strong he is. We are basically talking about a dude that is the same height and length as Michael Jordan, can jump like MJ but is also close to 70 pounds more than what MJ was. That is a freak among freaks athletically speaking.

That's an interesting point. If his lateral movements are up there with his straight up and downs that would be very impressive.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,580

Post#442 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:38 pm

D.Brasco wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:
How do you balance his athleticism with his perceived average physical attributes in reach and wingspan?

His wingspan has been measured from 6'10 to 6'11. The guys I know at Duke always tell me they have his at 6'11. Either way, a 6'10 or 6'11 wingspan is not bad for a guy that is 6'6. Also another thing to factor in is how freaking big and strong he is. We are basically talking about a dude that is the same height and length as Michael Jordan, can jump like MJ but is also close to 70 pounds more than what MJ was. That is a freak among freaks athletically speaking.

That's an interesting point. If his lateral movements are up there with his straight up and downs that would be very impressive.

I dont think his lateral movement is on the same freakish level as his leaping. But it is definitely not bad and in my opinion really good. Again athletically to me this dude is as elite as they come. I personally have him #1 because of the things Ive heard about his handle so far. Ive heard his jumper is still a long ways away though, really struggling to find any consistent form and touch.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,070
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#443 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:56 pm

clyde21 wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Ya hes a better athlete than AD. I might even give him the edge over LeBron (again just on athleticism, not skill). The dude basically gets an As and A+ in almost every category athletically. He is truly a freak athlete.

Same you balance how Davis is taller than Zion yet can't jump as high.

So you think if they both go up for a rebound or to block a shot, that Zion will end up with the ball/block over AD in most cases?

Because honestly, I think that's preposterous, and if Zion ever had to guard Davis, it will be a blood bath because of his lack of reach.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Post#444 » by PistolPeteJR » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:57 pm

D.Brasco wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:Guy's listed weight is 285lbs, he's dunking from the FT line, and that's basic.

I just don't get RealGM sometimes.

So he's still pretty big but he says he's not currently as heavy as his listing

he's listed at 6-foot-7 and 285 pounds on the roster but says he's currently at 6'7 and 271 pounds

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Zion-Williamson-Talks-Versatility-And-Freshman-Adjustment-Ahead-Of-Canada-Trip-120491994/

285, 271, both are ridiculous.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#445 » by clyde21 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:00 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:

So you think if they both go up for a rebound or to block a shot, that Zion will end up with the ball/block over AD in most cases?

Because honestly, I think that's preposterous, and if Zion ever had to guard Davis, it will be a blood bath because of his lack of reach.

I think Zion would have a better chance at that rebound than you'd think based on their height/reach.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#446 » by kuclas » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:00 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Zion can dunk. We get that.

How about duke basketball showing us Zion practicing jump shot after jump shot. That would be more entertaining. Heck they can edit out all the missed shots and only show the made shots for all I care. Show us something new.

Like 10 jump shots in a row in practice
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#447 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:10 pm

clyde21 wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I think Zion would have a better chance at that rebound than you'd think based on their height/reach.

We'll see. I think his only chance at stardom is if his quickness/handling is good enough to attack smaller and weaker guys on the perimeter. Sadly for him, playing in the paint doesn't allow you the time to get full run ups or gathers to reach your peak vertical for blocks and rebounds, and the real big men are just going to snatch the ball over you. I think if length is part of the equation, is definitely not the best overall physical package in the league since LeBron, not that close really. And if it isn't part of the equation, then there are small guys that are faster and more explosive that are better athletes. It's just weird that people seem to include size as an athletic component, but only to a certain extent.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,605

Post#448 » by Repeat 3-peat » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:12 pm

I'm not a huge Duke fans but I'll be tuning in every game I can. Zion can be special but I worry about his upside in the NBA with the lack of jump shot.
skiz2
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#449 » by skiz2 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:13 pm

I think it is a mistake for him not to be used (at least some of the time) on the block in college, IMHO. I am a UNC homer so I hope this is the case that K isn’t using him on the block. However, I think Zion is a likeable kid and in the long run it would be in his best interest to at least be more comfortable down there. Not many 4’s in college could hang with him on the block, and not many 3’s in the NBA.

Guess we will see. I may be eating crow. I want him to succeed against anyone but UNC and in a hypothetical championship game. As it stands now I see him having a similar year to Aaron Gordon at Arizona, but think that Zion has MUCH higher upside.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#450 » by clyde21 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:13 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:

We'll see. I think his only chance at stardom is if his quickness/handling is good enough to attack smaller and weaker guys on the perimeter. Sadly for him, playing in the paint doesn't allow you the time to get full run ups or gathers to reach your peak vertical for blocks and rebounds, and the real big men are just going to snatch the ball over you. I think if length is part of the equation, is definitely not the best overall physical package in the league since LeBron, not that close really. And if it isn't part of the equation, then there are small guys that are faster and more explosive that are better athletes. It's just weird that people seem to include size as an athletic component, but only to a certain extent.

Out of curiousity, why do you see 6'10 reach for a 6'6" guy as a weakness? That's above average reach.

LeBron also had just 'above average' reach, yet that didn't affect his athletic prowess.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#451 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:41 pm

clyde21 wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Out of curiousity, why do you see 6'10 reach for a 6'6" guy as a weakness? That's above average reach.

LeBron also had just 'above average' reach, yet that didn't affect his athletic prowess.

LeBron had over 2 inches of wingspan over Zion at the same age, and over 3 inches of standing reach. That's nothing to sneeze at, at all. There is a bigger gap between LeBron and Zion's reach than there is between Zion and Russell Westbrook's reach.

Plus, if LeBron wasn't so quick and fluid with the ball, he wouldn't be the best athlete in the NBA either. But LeBron's agility and short area movement combined with his explosion and power has made him the best physical package and able to take over a game at will on the offensive end.

But even with all those physical tools, he doesn't stack up with some of the taller guys as an athletic package defensively, but he more than makes up that ground on the offensive end. Does Zion? I don't buy that he has the short area quickness, agility and fluidity to create from nothing on the wing like guys like LeBron or a Wade can, that helps them make up the gap they give up defensively to prospects like say, Joel Embiid for instance.

I think Zion has potential to be a stud offensively, but he has a way lower ceiling defensively than a LOT of guys that can reach similar levels of offensive prowess, and it's not all skill based. Power is a great asset on the wing, but speed and explosion is still the best thing to have when creating offense from the perimeter, so he kind of ends up as a bit of a tweener in terms of athletics prowess.

Maybe he's more fluid and quick than I expect, and if he is, it gets a lot more interesting, but I felt the same way with Andrew Wiggins, despite him being such a phenomenal leaper, the rest of his athleticism didn't wow me like it did others, though ZIon has a MASSIVE bulk advantage that can't be discounted, I don't think bulk matters as much when you give up to much reach. Barkley was a HUGE exception, because other guys haven't been able to use their bulk and explosion to that degree before or after, but I guess it's bound to happen again.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,817

Post#452 » by cgf » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:51 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:

LeBron had over 2 inches of wingspan over Zion at the same age, and over 3 inches of standing reach. That's nothing to sneeze at, at all. There is a bigger gap between LeBron and Zion's reach than there is between Zion and Russell Westbrook's reach.

Plus, if LeBron wasn't so quick and fluid with the ball, he wouldn't be the best athlete in the NBA either. But LeBron's agility and short area movement combined with his explosion and power has made him the best physical package and able to take over a game at will on the offensive end.

But even with all those physical tools, he doesn't stack up with some of the taller guys as an athletic package defensively, but he more than makes up that ground on the offensive end. Does Zion? I don't buy that he has the short area quickness, agility and fluidity to create from nothing on the wing like guys like LeBron or a Wade can, that helps them make up the gap they give up defensively to prospects like say, Joel Embiid for instance.

I think Zion has potential to be a stud offensively, but he has a way lower ceiling defensively than a LOT of guys that can reach similar levels of offensive prowess, and it's not all skill based. Power is a great asset on the wing, but speed and explosion is still the best thing to have when creating offense from the perimeter, so he kind of ends up as a bit of a tweener in terms of athletics prowess.

Maybe he's more fluid and quick than I expect, and if he is, it gets a lot more interesting, but I felt the same way with Andrew Wiggins, despite him being such a phenomenal leaper, the rest of his athleticism didn't wow me like it did others, though ZIon has a MASSIVE bulk advantage that can't be discounted, I don't think bulk matters as much when you give up to much reach. Barkley was a HUGE exception, because other guys haven't been able to use their bulk and explosion to that degree before or after, but I guess it's bound to happen again.

What other guys have had that kind of bulk and explosiveness since Chuck? Larry Johnson had the power & was explosive, but he wasn’t Chuck- or Zion-explosive.

If he’s as quick and his handle is as tight as it sounds...kid could be big time.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
KyletheDingbat
Veteran
And1: 1,656

Post#453 » by KyletheDingbat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:20 am

Barkley had an insane wingspan and I think the game came more naturally to him than Zion. I actually think a case can be made for Barkley being one of the top 2-3 most gifted players ever. Before you laugh, he played against the best in the world in the 84 Olympic trials and the Dream Team, and both times he was the best player on the court with the exception of maybe Michael Jordan. He's become more famous for his personality, but it's possible the only thing separating him from GOAT was his mentality, and also probably cause Jordan just was better.

Not trying to derail, all that to say, if Zion reaches some of those plateaus we're looking at an all time great. I think he can get there. Maybe not Barkley level, but I wouldn't rule it out. To me he's the clear cut #1, and I'd probably take him without seeing anyone else in the draft, or any draft over the last 10 or so years. I don't think you'll be able to stop him.
cgf
RealGM

Post#454 » by cgf » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:37 am

Wasn’t Barkley’s wingspan around 6’10”?

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#455 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:59 am

Holy crap. He has to prove he can play but athleticism wise this is looking like a generational situation
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,580

Post#456 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:09 am

cgf wrote:Wasn’t Barkley’s wingspan around 6’10”?

Ya everything I've read has his wingspan at 6'10 or 6'11. Just like Zion's. What we're people expecting? The dude is a 6'6" guy with a 6'10-6'11 wingspan. When did that become a negative?
cgf
RealGM

Post#457 » by cgf » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:14 am

Duke4life831 wrote:

Ya everything I've read has his wingspan at 6'10 or 6'11. Just like Zion's. What we're people expecting? The dude is a 6'6" guy with a 6'10-6'11 wingspan. When did that become a negative?

When Frank Ntilikina decided to have a 7’1” wingspan at 6’5” 8-)

eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,739

Post#458 » by eminence » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:10 am

Barkley was shorter though (like 6'4.5 or something).

Zion's an insanely explosive/strong athlete. I don't think he has the quicks/ball skills for a perimeter spot. He'll need to be a big in the NBA, which I think he can do successfully, could take awhile to figure it out though.
I bought a boat.
rygar
Junior
And1: 464

Post#459 » by rygar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:26 am

Geez. The Flying Meatball is going to beast if he stays healthy.
cgf
RealGM

Post#460 » by cgf » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:38 am

eminence wrote:

Barkley was shorter though (like 6'4.5 or something).

Zion's an insanely explosive/strong athlete. I don't think he has the quicks/ball skills for a perimeter spot. He'll need to be a big in the NBA, which I think he can do successfully, could take awhile to figure it out though.

Is 6’4.5” w/o shoes really that different from a Duke 6’7”? ;-)

Return to NBA Draft