Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Re: Tacko Fall 7-6, 300lbs / 8'-4" wingspan / 10'-5" standing reach 

Post#81 » by 12footrim » Fri May 26, 2017 3:36 am

azcatz11 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
12footrim wrote:It appears he is returning to UCF. Personally I think that is a mistake.

The older you get doesn't typically help your draft value or attractiveness. He showed a lot of improvement this year and had totally good stats already. I don't see how coming back will make him more attractive when teams would always be buying potiental on him and with another year older is only less.

If you are good enough to play in the NBA you will get there, it doesn't matter if you go undrafted and end up in the Dleague or even europe for a year or 2. If you are good enough they will sign you or give you a 10 day and the sticking is going to be the same and you at that point.

Who has really helped their value with coming back to school anyway? Just about every player has the same career they likely always would have had anyway. Guys like Stephen Jackson, Gerald Green etc were said to have left early but were always going to be what they were. Far more guys hurt their pocketbooks by staying IMO. If nothing else you get the clock started on that 2nd contract if you are actually good enough to get one.

He's really smart, I can imagine he has always wanted to finish school before coming over. He could also get better and prove that he deserves to be drafted.

Yeah, he seems to really care about academics. Who knows if playing in the NBA is even his dream.

I have a hard time believing no one would throw a 2nd rounder draft pick at him this year. Next year he is just a year older and it will be hard for him to improve as much as he did this year. He would have to improve dramatically to offset being older and less attractive as a prospect.

You can always go back to school or finish over the summers, lots of players do it. Jordan did it. He could try to make a million and retire if he really isn't into money. My point is get it while you can. These giant guys health can turn on them really quick. There is no evidence that he has any problems but things like infection even can be problematic. There was a big at UNCA that had some NBA potential and had most of his foot amputated out of the blue. I'm just saying get it while you can.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,479

Post#82 » by azcatz11 » Fri May 26, 2017 4:13 am

12footrim wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
He's really smart, I can imagine he has always wanted to finish school before coming over. He could also get better and prove that he deserves to be drafted.

Yeah, he seems to really care about academics. Who knows if playing in the NBA is even his dream.

I have a hard time believing no one would throw a 2nd rounder draft pick at him this year. Next year he is just a year older and it will be hard for him to improve as much as he did this year. He would have to improve dramatically to offset being older and less attractive as a prospect.

You can always go back to school or finish over the summers, lots of players do it. Jordan did it. He could try to make a million and retire if he really isn't into money. My point is get it while you can. These giant guys health can turn on them really quick. There is no evidence that he has any problems but things like infection even can be problematic. There was a big at UNCA that had some NBA potential and had most of his foot amputated out of the blue. I'm just saying get it while you can.

Yeah, I agree with you. But maybe he doesn't think like you or I think. Maybe he loves college and is committed there. I really have no idea but he could be looking at this from a different POV like we would.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#83 » by 12footrim » Fri May 26, 2017 1:35 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
12footrim wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

Yeah, I agree with you. But maybe he doesn't think like you or I think. Maybe he loves college and is committed there. I really have no idea but he could be looking at this from a different POV like we would.

Most 20 year olds are stupid to how the world works. Hopefully he has or gets some good people around him that could lay out the pros and cons or at least get him some insurance. I've seen far more players be hurt by coming back than I ever have seen one help their draft status. It's all pointless IMO. You'll most likely have the same career you always were going to have regardless of when you enter the draft. Good enough players stick those that don't wash out quick.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
B0naf1d3
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#84 » by B0naf1d3 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:31 pm

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but there being no defensive three seconds plays a huge role in his effectiveness on that side of the ball. I've watched him play a few times and that was the number one thing I noticed, besides how massively long and tall he is..wow.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#85 » by 12footrim » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:56 pm

Bump.

2 years later I still don't know how someone doesn't draft him at least pick 45-60 in the 2nd round. I see him going no where in any of these mock drafts.

The guy has the potiental defensively to be one of the best rim defenders in the NBA if not the best. He anchored a defense for a team that was top 25 team in the nation and just about upset Duke. 2 big games in the NCAA's. Dunks everything around the rim without even jumping. Surely if you were ever going to take a flier this is the guy you would do it on. They just don't make dudes this big and with this much defensive potiental. If they can find places for some of these big men in the NBA no way he can't play some.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#86 » by EvanZ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:05 pm

How do you draft a statue?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#87 » by King Ken » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:16 pm

Moved up my board from no chance in hell to 40th. I would strongly look at him in a Boban role. It has to be the right situation and team like the Jazz, Sixers, Blazers, etc. Teams that drop their centers.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#88 » by doordoor123 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:26 pm

King Ken wrote:Moved up my board from no chance in hell to 40th. I would strongly look at him in a Boban role. It has to be the right situation and team like the Jazz, Sixers, Blazers, etc. Teams that drop their centers.

The difference between him an Boban is that Boban is super skilled offensively, has a soft touch, he’s a good passer and he’s super strong. Tacko is just not, he can get bullied despite his weight. He also just doesnt have touch around the basket, he doesn’t have skill in terms of footwork, he’s not a good passer and his free throw is worse than terrible. One of the worst free throw shooters I’ve ever seen, while Boban is pretty much a 70% free throw shooter. Oh yeah and on top of that, Fall tends to foul a lot. There’s no place for him in the league, he’s just super tall. I wouldn’t draft him at all, but I can see teams trying to make him into a project just because of his size and mobility.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#89 » by King Ken » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:30 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
King Ken wrote:Moved up my board from no chance in hell to 40th. I would strongly look at him in a Boban role. It has to be the right situation and team like the Jazz, Sixers, Blazers, etc. Teams that drop their centers.

The difference between him an Boban is that Boban is super skilled offensively, has a soft touch, he’s a good passer and he’s super strong. Tacko is just not, he can get bullied despite his weight. He also just doesnt have touch around the basket, he doesn’t have skill in terms of footwork, he’s not a good passer and his free throw is worse than terrible. One of the worst free throw shooters I’ve ever seen, while Boban is pretty much a 70% free throw shooter. Oh yeah and on top of that, Fall tends to foul a lot. There’s no place for him in the league, he’s just super tall. I wouldn’t draft him at all, but I can see teams trying to make him into a project just because of his size and mobility.

I don't want him for his offense. I want him for his defense. That's the major difference.

Tacko has gotten a lot stronger over the years, he isn't easy to bully anymore and he has strong hands which might negatively effect his shot but does tremendous value defensively.

Tacko nearly has a foot longer wingspan and his standing reach is a foot longer. His lateral movement is actually shockingly decent for his size. Better than Bobans or Yao. Tacko is a defensive cheat code. I think he will be a big nightmare in the NBA. He takes up an extreme amount of space.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#90 » by doordoor123 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:35 pm

King Ken wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

I don't want him for his offense. I want him for his defense. That's the major difference.

Tacko has gotten a lot stronger over the years, he isn't easy to bully anymore and he has strong hands which might negatively effect his shot but does tremendous value defensively.

Tacko nearly has a foot longer wingspan and his standing reach is a foot longer. His lateral movement is actually shockingly decent for his size. Better than Bobans or Yao. Tacko is a defensive cheat code. I think he will be a big nightmare in the NBA. He takes up an extreme amount of space.

Well yeah, that would be his value, but he also moves in small spaces very slowly. Elite NBA Athletes are still going to do work on him like Zion did and he’s still a huge liability running the floor because he can barely stay in the game 5 minutes at a time. He’s a VERY situational player. But teams are also going to hack the hell out of him because his free throws are pretty much an automatic change of possession.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#91 » by King Ken » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:38 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Well yeah, that would be his value, but he also moves in small spaces very slowly. Elite NBA Athletes are still going to do work on him like Zion did and he’s still a huge liability running the floor because he can barely stay in the game 5 minutes at a time.

Most players won't realize how imposing Fall will be. His ability to cover space while at a distance is not just rare. We have never seen it before. You are undervaluing him. Summer league will really show a lot of people why passing on Fall wasn't that good of an idea.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by doordoor123 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:49 pm

King Ken wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
King Ken wrote:I don't want him for his offense. I want him for his defense. That's the major difference.

Well yeah, that would be his value, but he also moves in small spaces very slowly. Elite NBA Athletes are still going to do work on him like Zion did and he’s still a huge liability running the floor because he can barely stay in the game 5 minutes at a time.

Most players won't realize how imposing Fall will be. His ability to cover space while at a distance is not just rare. We have never seen it before. You are undervaluing him. Summer league will really show a lot of people why passing on Fall wasn't that good of an idea.

I don’t think I’m undervaluing him, I think you’re overvaluing him. Look, he had a plus 15 against Duke while no one else in the game had over plus 8. That’s a big impact, but the NBA is a different game. I think he can still be effective defensively, but he’s not Rudy Gobert and he’s not Boban. He’s just a defender who can rebound a little. Sure, a good defender, but as he is right now he has no other value on the court.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#93 » by Stillwater » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:53 pm

lol 1 of the commentators said he's actually 7'7" with shoes.
He is not a great basketball player, but he is a hell of a lot better than he was a couple seasons ago.
I think he will get drafted for sure on a flier , anybody with that much rim protection is worth the gamble.
If he could improve he ft % to at least 60% he could be playable in a rotation
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
King Ken
General Manager

Post#94 » by King Ken » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:54 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

I don’t think I’m undervaluing him, I think you’re overvaluing him. Look, he had a plus 15 against Duke while no one else in the game had over plus 8. That’s a big impact, but the NBA is a different game. I think he can still be effective defensively, but he’s not Rudy Gobert and he’s not Boban. He’s just a defender who can rebound a little. Sure, a good defender, but as he is right now he has no other value on the court.

You have to understand the geometry of Basketball to understand why Fall is a game breaker. Even at the pro level. He don't have to be Gobert. He can just be Tacko. That's rare in itself
King Ken
General Manager

Post#95 » by King Ken » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:56 pm

Stillwater wrote:lol 1 of the commentators said he's actually 7'7" with shoes.
He is not a great basketball player, but he is a hell of a lot better than he was a couple seasons ago.
I think he will get drafted for sure on a flier , anybody with that much rim protection is worth the gamble.

Way more skilled and much stronger as well. He was a scrub who was tall before with some potential. Now, he doesn't have potential but he is a decent player and a tremendous defensive player. He has really improved in terms of using his length.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#96 » by Stillwater » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:06 pm

King Ken wrote:

Way more skilled and much stronger as well. He was a scrub who was tall before with some potential. Now, he doesn't have potential but he is a decent player and a tremendous defensive player. He has really improved in terms of using his length.

I like him as a 3rd big off the bench as is, but can't play him at end of games shooting sub 40% from the charity stripe.
Somebody is drafting him late 2nd though to see if a shooting coach can fix that,because overall his bb iq is acceptable at this point given his dominating presence to justify it.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,785

Post#97 » by UcanUwill » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:59 pm

Slavko Vranes was 7'7. Tacko doesnt look as tall, but maybe he is?
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#98 » by Roddy B for 3 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:54 am

Taco is SO wide. He's not a scrawny guy. Let Embiid try to post up Taco.

Oh he can't? You better take that three then Joel.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#99 » by Roddy B for 3 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:56 am

Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:

I like him as a 3rd big off the bench as is, but can't play him at end of games shooting sub 40% from the charity stripe.
Somebody is drafting him late 2nd though to see if a shooting coach can fix that,because overall his bb iq is acceptable at this point given his dominating presence to justify it.

@KingKen how is he out of potential now? If DeAndre Jordan can improve his FT% then anyone can.

So, Tacko obviously can still get better.

I like to look at growth over the past few years to see if someone works. Tacko obviously works.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
King Ken
General Manager

Post#100 » by King Ken » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:08 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:Way more skilled and much stronger as well. He was a scrub who was tall before with some potential. Now, he doesn't have potential but he is a decent player and a tremendous defensive player. He has really improved in terms of using his length.

@KingKen how is he out of potential now? If DeAndre Jordan can improve his FT% then anyone can.

So, Tacko obviously can still get better.

I like to look at growth over the past few years to see if someone works. Tacko obviously works.

Of course he can improve but not significantly like he has so far.

Return to NBA Draft