Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Ettorefm
Head Coach
And1: 5,260

Re: Zach Collins 

Post#121 » by Ettorefm » Thu May 11, 2017 7:03 pm

Fischella wrote:
Ettorefm wrote:
WalterBenjamin wrote:He still has an understanding for protecting the rim so i don't thing it is such a big deal. He will need time to develope but the potential is still there. And also this draft outside of the lottery is just not that deep. Don't see him falling.

Why not go for high risk, high reward guys like Giles, Ferguson, Motley, John collins or Anunoby if you're sure that he's never going to be anything other than a nice player?

Anunoby sure, what gives you any insight about those other guys having any high reward? :o

Basketball knowledge?

Terrence Ferguson is a freak athlete who's 19 and we have no idea if he'll become a great player. But I'd much rather bet on him than poor man's Cody Zeller.

Giles has amazing potential. I don't think he'll become what he was once groomed to be, but a team who's willing to risk a lottery pick over getting a role player (Zach Collins) might do it. Thon Maker was a reach, and he's looking like a pretty solid prospect.

Would you have preferred the bucks pick an "exciting" guy like Sabonis or Ellenson who we know have limited upside? Might as well go for broke

I never said those guys are better, just said that they have a much higher upside. It's just that the risk might be too big. Who knows? Maybe some GM has the balls to bet on one of those guys.

MAybe John Collins was a stretch. My bad
bagsboy wrote:For two hundred years Democrats stole the productive output of slaves and now they seek to enrich themselves with the productive output from the 'rich'. First, Republicans needed to end slavery and next they need to fix taxation with a flat fair tax.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,876

Post#122 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu May 11, 2017 8:52 pm

Cody Zeller never had near the block % or rebounding rate as Zach, and hit a grand total of zero 3PT shots in college, while Zach managed 10 at a respectable %.

I think Zach is considerably less robotic and more 'bouncy' than Zeller. I think he is going to be an excellent 4th option, with an outside chance of being a low end, low usage #3.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Re: RE: Re: Zach Collins 

Post#123 » by yosemiteben » Thu May 11, 2017 9:02 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:He isn't as fluid as Myles, but he is certainly a better athlete than Cody Zeller...

Um...when you see Collins's agility stats and compare then to Cody's you will need to rethink this statement.

Cody is the far superior athlete to both Turner and Collins.

I see Collins as less athletic but more skilled and well rounded than Cody.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#124 » by 916fan » Fri May 12, 2017 1:21 am

Ettorefm wrote:Collins screams role player. It's like teams never learn that picking the Cody Zeller's, Kelly Olynyk's and Frank Kaminsky in the lottery never change any franchise.

Shoot for the stars. You can sign a Zach Collins dude every offseason. What can he bring overall (not specific skills) that Kris Humphries or Brandon Bass can't?

And people are considering drafting him top 10?

Ahh I see. The lazy comparison of comparing a white player to another white player...

Collins is an athletic PF/C who displays potential as a two-way big. On defense, he showed that he was a very good shotblocker. In his limited 17.3mpg, he averaged 1.8blks. On defense, he has the quickness to defend the perimeter and PnR. He's not strong enough to guard the likes of Cousins, but once he bulks up, he should be a good post defender. As a rebounder, Collins is a very good in that area. He actually knows how to box out unlike a lot of the bigs coming into today's game. Collins seems to have a good motor. On offense, he doesn't have a go to-move, but he shows potential all over the place. He can finish above the rim, post up, shoot the mid-range, and draw fouls. Collins has an incredibly high FTR..means he gets to the line at a very good rate. His 74% FT and good stroke displays a lot of potential for his jumpshot. He attempted 21 3s this year and made 10 of them. This makes him promising as a stretch big too. He has a lot of more developing and learning to do, but this doesn't mean he can't ever improve.

So maybe watch more than 1 game before you decide to bash him?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#125 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:39 am

IMO he compares to Al Horford
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#126 » by Masterfully » Fri May 12, 2017 1:59 am

I think there are legitimate reasons to compare Zach to Cody. They are of similar size and both had amazing freshman seasons. The biggest difference is the deep ball. Zach already has it, Cody never has.

I see Zach's basement is at the Cody Zeller level. I think ceiling is sky high.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#127 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:11 am

Masterfully wrote:I think there are legitimate reasons to compare Zach to Cody. They are of similar size and both had amazing freshman seasons. The biggest difference is the deep ball. Zach already has it, Cody never has.

I see Zach's basement is at the Cody Zeller level. I think ceiling is sky high.

Cody Zeller is a lot more fluid, which is why he's so good defensively. Collins is kind of fluid, but he's not that fluid.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#128 » by DirtyDez » Fri May 12, 2017 4:26 am

Fischella wrote:combine numbers are pretty meh, below avg length, slim and not in top shape, which was obvious and could mean that he might be even better with a proper training and smallish hands.

Should we be that concerned over a 19 year old's body especially at 7"? It's pretty rare they come in perfected physically. I'd like to FF three years and see how his frame looks. From what little I saw of Collins he looked pretty coordinated (for that age and height).
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#129 » by DrCoach » Fri May 12, 2017 5:02 am

Ettorefm wrote:
WalterBenjamin wrote:He still has an understanding for protecting the rim so i don't thing it is such a big deal. He will need time to develope but the potential is still there. And also this draft outside of the lottery is just not that deep. Don't see him falling.

Why not go for high risk, high reward guys like Giles, Ferguson, Motley, John collins or Anunoby if you're sure that he's never going to be anything other than a nice player?

Collins has one of the Higest PER's the draft, has size and a chance to bet he best at his position in the draft.

That's lower risk High reward
Ettorefm
Head Coach

Post#130 » by Ettorefm » Fri May 12, 2017 1:13 pm

DrCoach wrote:
Ettorefm wrote:

Collins has one of the Higest PER's the draft, has size and a chance to bet he best at his position in the draft.

How is "best at his position" relevant when...there aren't actually good bigs in this draft? The best one decided to stay one more year...

He's competing with the other Collins, Allen, Anigbogu, Patton, Adebayo, 2017 Giles...congrats. Any of the guys I mentioned before and some others who are worse would also be the best guy at the 4/5 position in this draft.
bagsboy wrote:For two hundred years Democrats stole the productive output of slaves and now they seek to enrich themselves with the productive output from the 'rich'. First, Republicans needed to end slavery and next they need to fix taxation with a flat fair tax.
Ettorefm
Head Coach

Post#131 » by Ettorefm » Fri May 12, 2017 1:17 pm

916fan wrote:
Ettorefm wrote:Collins screams role player. It's like teams never learn that picking the Cody Zeller's, Kelly Olynyk's and Frank Kaminsky in the lottery never change any franchise.

Shoot for the stars. You can sign a Zach Collins dude every offseason. What can he bring overall (not specific skills) that Kris Humphries or Brandon Bass can't?

And people are considering drafting him top 10?

Ahh I see. The lazy comparison of comparing a white player to another white player...

Collins is an athletic PF/C who displays potential as a two-way big. On defense, he showed that he was a very good shotblocker. In his limited 17.3mpg, he averaged 1.8blks. On defense, he has the quickness to defend the perimeter and PnR. He's not strong enough to guard the likes of Cousins, but once he bulks up, he should be a good post defender. As a rebounder, Collins is a very good in that area. He actually knows how to box out unlike a lot of the bigs coming into today's game. Collins seems to have a good motor. On offense, he doesn't have a go to-move, but he shows potential all over the place. He can finish above the rim, post up, shoot the mid-range, and draw fouls. Collins has an incredibly high FTR..means he gets to the line at a very good rate. His 74% FT and good stroke displays a lot of potential for his jumpshot. He attempted 21 3s this year and made 10 of them. This makes him promising as a stretch big too. He has a lot of more developing and learning to do, but this doesn't mean he can't ever improve.

So maybe watch more than 1 game before you decide to bash him?

It's laughable that you think you're the only one that watched colllins play, and any other opinion different from yours is simply ignorant :lol:

None of the things you said are false. That doesn't change the fact that he's a role player in the NBA, 5th starter at most, and I would never draft this kind of player in the top 10. Ever.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#132 » by blazeyo » Fri May 12, 2017 1:19 pm

Collins has a face of a role player. Can't see that guy as a star with that face. Same with Olynyk.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#133 » by DrCoach » Fri May 12, 2017 2:07 pm

Ettorefm wrote:
DrCoach wrote:
Ettorefm wrote:

How is "best at his position" relevant when...there aren't actually good bigs in this draft? The best one decided to stay one more year...

He's competing with the other Collins, Allen, Anigbogu, Patton, Adebayo, 2017 Giles...congrats. Any of the guys I mentioned before and some others who are worse would also be the best guy at the 4/5 position in this draft.

Because there good bugs in the draft , I will go on record as saying at least a third of the first Rd picks will be bigs.

Thanks for highlighting all the good bigs in the draft
ph1sh55
Senior
And1: 0

Post#134 » by ph1sh55 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:29 pm

Ettorefm wrote:
It's laughable that you think you're the only one that watched colllins play, and any other opinion different from yours is simply ignorant :lol:

None of the things you said are false. That doesn't change the fact that he's a role player in the NBA, 5th starter at most, and I would never draft this kind of player in the top 10. Ever.

It's laughable that you seem to think your opinion of a college freshman's entire projection is indeed FACT. That's...not a fact at all, that's pure speculation on your part. Players develop after their freshman years. Players may possess skills we didn't even see them display much in college due to the specific systems and roles they played in.

Stick with reasonable language and we get better discussions. In your view he fits the profile of a role player based on his current skillset, and you think that's his ceiling. Maybe it's true, we'll see if NBA GM's agree.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#135 » by Slartibartfast » Fri May 12, 2017 4:18 pm

DirtyDez wrote:
Fischella wrote:combine numbers are pretty meh, below avg length, slim and not in top shape, which was obvious and could mean that he might be even better with a proper training and smallish hands.

Should we be that concerned over a 19 year old's body especially at 7"? It's pretty rare they come in perfected physically. I'd like to FF three years and see how his frame looks. From what little I saw of Collins he looked pretty coordinated (for that age and height).

I think that was kinda Fisch's point - that he could be even better with pro conditioning - though Fisch is rating him pporly.

But his measurements aren't actually bad. 7'1 wingspan isn't great but it's significantly better than the guy he's getting compared to most - Cody Zeller has a 6'11 wingspan.

Standing reach is the more indicative number for rim protection (the key skillset for Collins given his offensive skills) anyway and Collins is a very respectable 9'3. That's 4 inches better than Cody Zeller and only an inch shy of Myles Turner.

He's a legit center with that standing reach. A viable rim protector.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#136 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:49 pm

I like the way Collins plays, but that 7'0 wingspan is kind of a big deal if he's a C. I compare him to Al Horford because Horford has similar measurements, also a skilled post player, was good rebounder, had solid defensive input, he was also a good passer and he was also athletic. At the same time, I think this is a different age. At the combine there was an interview with someone from Warriors management who emphasized the importance of wingspan and athleticism. Those are the guys that become successful. I like him more as a back up 4/5 in the 20s. I'd take a more diverse offensive player over him like TJ Leaf.
Ettorefm
Head Coach

Post#137 » by Ettorefm » Fri May 12, 2017 5:59 pm

DrCoach wrote:
Ettorefm wrote:
DrCoach wrote:

Because there good bugs in the draft , I will go on record as saying at least a third of the first Rd picks will be bigs.

Thanks for highlighting all the good bigs in the draft

This makes no sense. Technically, if you have centers from 20-30, you also have 1/3 of the 1st round. That doesn't mean that there are tons of good bigs.

There is a reason why the best C/PF according to scouts, GMs and NCAA websites is Zach Collins, a prototypical role player who at most can be your 5th best starter. That's not who I'd pick with a top 10 pick.

Go ask the kings how drafting 'safe' guys ended up for them. At least Collins is not a senior, like most guys with his skillset and athleticism drafted in the lottery. That alone makes him interesting - just not top 10 material
Ettorefm
Head Coach

Post#138 » by Ettorefm » Fri May 12, 2017 6:03 pm

doordoor123 wrote: I like him more as a back up 4/5 in the 20s. I'd take a more diverse offensive player over him like TJ Leaf.

That's my point. We can discuss Leaf or Collins, I actually like Collins more (to those who think I'm hating on the guy), but top 10 to me is too high. Even lottery is too high.

Some franchises like the Kings, Hornets and Celtics love to draft these kind of prospects. I hoped they would've noticed the flaw in that strategy by now.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#139 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 12, 2017 6:39 pm

Ettorefm wrote:
doordoor123 wrote: I like him more as a back up 4/5 in the 20s. I'd take a more diverse offensive player over him like TJ Leaf.

That's my point. We can discuss Leaf or Collins, I actually like Collins more (to those who think I'm hating on the guy), but top 10 to me is too high. Even lottery is too high.

Some franchises like the Kings, Hornets and Celtics love to draft these kind of prospects. I hoped they would've noticed the flaw in that strategy by now.

I'm not saying he can't outperform his length because it's possible, a la Al Horford. He has the athleticism, fluidity, passing and defensive instincts to do so. And if a team believes in him at the end of the lottery, I can see them taking him. It's just a bit riskier.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#140 » by Roy The Natural » Fri May 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Who the hell gives two **** about wingspan for bigs!!??? His standing reach is fine. That's all that matters for bigs.

Wingspan is only really a major plus for perimeter defenders.

Collins doesn't just have good standing reach, he's got impeccable timing for contests. He should be able to provide solid defense very early in his career.

Who exactly is this better bigman prospect? Allen?... no, not even close. Pasecniks will skyrocket up boards, but at best he'll be tail end of the lottery. I'm not seeing who the better prospects at the 4/5 spots are.

Return to NBA Draft