Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

crazy_me_87
Analyst
Posts: 3,238
And1: 1,877
Joined: Jul 08, 2010
 

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#121 » by crazy_me_87 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 9:11 am

Catchall wrote:
baldur wrote:is he going to start this season?


He's not expected to start. Rubio and Hood are expected to be the starting backcourt. Mitchell and Exum are expected to come off the bench and be given a long leash to play fast and attack. If Mitchell progresses quickly though, the Jazz could make a roster move and start him towards the end of the season. Exum, Hood and Favors all need new contracts for next season, and likely one of them will be moved.


I think he will start later in his Rookie year. I think he will just be too good not to. Also Ingles while not horrible is not a Starting caliber SF and Hood can easilly switch to SF.
The_Hater
RealGM
Posts: 69,534
And1: 22,461
Joined: May 23, 2001
     

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#122 » by The_Hater » Sat Aug 5, 2017 10:26 am

crazy_me_87 wrote:
Catchall wrote:
baldur wrote:is he going to start this season?


He's not expected to start. Rubio and Hood are expected to be the starting backcourt. Mitchell and Exum are expected to come off the bench and be given a long leash to play fast and attack. If Mitchell progresses quickly though, the Jazz could make a roster move and start him towards the end of the season. Exum, Hood and Favors all need new contracts for next season, and likely one of them will be moved.


I think he will start later in his Rookie year. I think he will just be too good not to. Also Ingles while not horrible is not a Starting caliber SF and Hood can easilly switch to SF.


Hood was awful last season and that flew right under the radar. Its very possible Hood being moved to a bench role before Ingles as Ingles is the better all around player.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.


April 14th, 2019.
crazy_me_87
Analyst
Posts: 3,238
And1: 1,877
Joined: Jul 08, 2010
 

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#123 » by crazy_me_87 » Mon Aug 7, 2017 9:43 am

The_Hater wrote:
crazy_me_87 wrote:
Catchall wrote:
He's not expected to start. Rubio and Hood are expected to be the starting backcourt. Mitchell and Exum are expected to come off the bench and be given a long leash to play fast and attack. If Mitchell progresses quickly though, the Jazz could make a roster move and start him towards the end of the season. Exum, Hood and Favors all need new contracts for next season, and likely one of them will be moved.


I think he will start later in his Rookie year. I think he will just be too good not to. Also Ingles while not horrible is not a Starting caliber SF and Hood can easilly switch to SF.


Hood was awful last season and that flew right under the radar. Its very possible Hood being moved to a bench role before Ingles as Ingles is the better all around player.


He actually was. Damn really showed how much of last season i did kinda miss. Usually i am totally in for such details. Wow.

I think if Mitchell keeps looking as good on defense while suprising as a Scorer he could actually start sooner than many think. Depending on how Training Camp goes maybe even from day One.

He is my sleeper Pick for ROY. If he starts i think a 16/4/4 Statline with good defense and maybe even a Playoff Spot will be a strong Case.
sip
Sophomore
Posts: 201
And1: 153
Joined: Apr 14, 2009

Re: RE: Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#124 » by sip » Tue Aug 8, 2017 8:57 pm

crazy_me_87 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
crazy_me_87 wrote:
I think he will start later in his Rookie year. I think he will just be too good not to. Also Ingles while not horrible is not a Starting caliber SF and Hood can easilly switch to SF.


Hood was awful last season and that flew right under the radar. Its very possible Hood being moved to a bench role before Ingles as Ingles is the better all around player.


He actually was. Damn really showed how much of last season i did kinda miss. Usually i am totally in for such details. Wow.

I think if Mitchell keeps looking as good on defense while suprising as a Scorer he could actually start sooner than many think. Depending on how Training Camp goes maybe even from day One.

He is my sleeper Pick for ROY. If he starts i think a 16/4/4 Statline with good defense and maybe even a Playoff Spot will be a strong Case.

Hood was really good last year before hurting his knee. After that injury he was horrible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
Catchall
General Manager
Posts: 8,254
And1: 3,065
Joined: Jul 06, 2008

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#125 » by Catchall » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:18 pm

Mitchell working out in NY with Frank Ntilikina, Carmelo, JR Smith, others... He's explosive enough to drive, can pull up on a dime, and can create space with a step-back or side-step. Shooting touch looks good. He sure looks like he'll be able to score in the league, especially with a spaced out floor.





User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,056
And1: 15,751
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#126 » by GimmeDat » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:39 am

I've seen enough from Mitchell, I'm convinced he's going to be a stud in the NBA. I liked him a lot going in to the draft, but now I'm pretty concrete on it, the guy is a heck of a package and will go a hell of a way towards making Jazz fans feel content after losing Hayward.
crazy_me_87
Analyst
Posts: 3,238
And1: 1,877
Joined: Jul 08, 2010
 

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#127 » by crazy_me_87 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:17 pm

GimmeDat wrote:I've seen enough from Mitchell, I'm convinced he's going to be a stud in the NBA. I liked him a lot going in to the draft, but now I'm pretty concrete on it, the guy is a heck of a package and will go a hell of a way towards making Jazz fans feel content after losing Hayward.


Me too, He looks like he could score 20 every night in a few years all with his already elite defense.
He also looks to be the propably 2nd NBA ready Rookie(after or next Ben Simmons) body wise. He looks strong and fast.
He propably will suprise a lot of people. He has the tools(atletism,body,wingspan) the skills(nice step back moves,etc) and a great motor.. His game will translate well to the NBA. He is a guy who look better in the NBA then he did in College. He can easilly grow into a No1 Option. The more Spaced out NBA Game will help him too.

If he gets minutes from the start i easilly could see him as a dark horse Rookie of the Year canidate. If he gets the minutes 15/4/4 with around 2 steals are possible.
Catchall
General Manager
Posts: 8,254
And1: 3,065
Joined: Jul 06, 2008

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#128 » by Catchall » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:39 pm

Posted by Stiches in the Utah Jazz forum, playing with JR Smith and Carmelo.

jonjames
Veteran
Posts: 2,688
And1: 1,752
Joined: Apr 02, 2016

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#129 » by jonjames » Sat Dec 2, 2017 4:09 am

Its early but barring any injury im convinced he will be a top 25 player in the league in his prime. He is much much better than i ever expected coming out of louisville. Hes only 6'2 in shoes but with a 6'10 wingspan superb athleticism and a strong build it doesnt matter..this kid is a star in the making.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,339
And1: 1,063
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#130 » by doordoor123 » Sat Dec 2, 2017 2:49 pm

jonjames wrote:Its early but barring any injury im convinced he will be a top 25 player in the league in his prime. He is much much better than i ever expected coming out of louisville. Hes only 6'2 in shoes but with a 6'10 wingspan superb athleticism and a strong build it doesnt matter..this kid is a star in the making.


I thought he would be really good, but I didn’t think he would be this good this soon. He might be the best player in this class.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,339
And1: 1,063
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#131 » by doordoor123 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:53 am

doordoor123 wrote:I think if there's a sleeper in this draft, he's it. I have no idea where he's going to go in th draft, but he does everything well. He can play off ball, handle a little, has complicated moves to get around defenders, plays off ball, has a beautiful arc to his shot, defends, has a soft touch, is a good passer, finishes with contact, can dunk and I think his speed is sneakily underrated. He doesn't have a great first step, but he's a tricky player to stay in front of because he's so comfortable around the 3 point line. He seems to be quicker on fast breaks than in the lane. I don't think he has PG speed, but he's pretty quick. He's a back up handler or starting SG. Would be amazing for a team like Houston.


Interesting to see this. We need to watch how quick players are in the fast break to see how quick they’ll be in the lane in the NBA. That’s how Mitchell got so such quicker, the lanes are clogged in college. Trae Young is going to be better in the NBA and I have no doubt.
Alatan
Veteran
Posts: 2,689
And1: 2,166
Joined: May 06, 2017

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#132 » by Alatan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:28 am

doordoor123 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:I think if there's a sleeper in this draft, he's it. I have no idea where he's going to go in th draft, but he does everything well. He can play off ball, handle a little, has complicated moves to get around defenders, plays off ball, has a beautiful arc to his shot, defends, has a soft touch, is a good passer, finishes with contact, can dunk and I think his speed is sneakily underrated. He doesn't have a great first step, but he's a tricky player to stay in front of because he's so comfortable around the 3 point line. He seems to be quicker on fast breaks than in the lane. I don't think he has PG speed, but he's pretty quick. He's a back up handler or starting SG. Would be amazing for a team like Houston.


Interesting to see this. We need to watch how quick players are in the fast break to see how quick they’ll be in the lane in the NBA. That’s how Mitchell got so such quicker, the lanes are clogged in college. Trae Young is going to be better in the NBA and I have no doubt.


You deserve an internet beer for pointing out DM. Cheers! :party:
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,339
And1: 1,063
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#133 » by doordoor123 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:49 am

Alatan wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:I think if there's a sleeper in this draft, he's it. I have no idea where he's going to go in th draft, but he does everything well. He can play off ball, handle a little, has complicated moves to get around defenders, plays off ball, has a beautiful arc to his shot, defends, has a soft touch, is a good passer, finishes with contact, can dunk and I think his speed is sneakily underrated. He doesn't have a great first step, but he's a tricky player to stay in front of because he's so comfortable around the 3 point line. He seems to be quicker on fast breaks than in the lane. I don't think he has PG speed, but he's pretty quick. He's a back up handler or starting SG. Would be amazing for a team like Houston.


Interesting to see this. We need to watch how quick players are in the fast break to see how quick they’ll be in the lane in the NBA. That’s how Mitchell got so such quicker, the lanes are clogged in college. Trae Young is going to be better in the NBA and I have no doubt.


You deserve an internet beer for pointing out DM. Cheers! :party:


Haha someone liked my post and I decided to read over it just to see how I saw him and make the comparison to his NBA version. I think this shows that even if someone might look slower in the half-court, in the NBA where they have more space they’ll need to run down the lanes. In college they can mosey into the paint without much resistance.
Alatan
Veteran
Posts: 2,689
And1: 2,166
Joined: May 06, 2017

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#134 » by Alatan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:53 am

doordoor123 wrote:
Alatan wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
Interesting to see this. We need to watch how quick players are in the fast break to see how quick they’ll be in the lane in the NBA. That’s how Mitchell got so such quicker, the lanes are clogged in college. Trae Young is going to be better in the NBA and I have no doubt.


You deserve an internet beer for pointing out DM. Cheers! :party:


Haha someone liked my post and I decided to read over it just to see how I saw him and make the comparison to his NBA version. I think this shows that even if someone might look slower in the half-court, in the NBA where they have more space they’ll need to run down the lanes. In college they can mosey into the paint without much resistance.


Yeah, nice catch. College and Euroleague are quite different than NBA. The differences are subtle but their effects are major.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,294
And1: 212
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#135 » by Jazzfan12 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:20 am

What's been impressive about Mitchell is how much better he's gotten at passing, definitely an NBA PG in a year or two which no one really expected.

... Then again, no one expected him to immediately score 20 PPG either.
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,056
And1: 15,751
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#136 » by GimmeDat » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:46 pm

I cringe at my opening 'reminds me of E'Twaun Moore' opening post in this thread, but I understand what I saw in that, and I do really value Moore as a player. Really multi-positional, multi-skilled, can pass, spot up, etc.

I did defend him in subsequent posts though, I really warmed to his dynamism athletically. I didn't expect him to be so good attacking the hoop and facilitating, he's done great on those areas, and of course while he looked like a talented scorer, no one could predict him being this insanely good so early.

I liked him a lot, and a lot of people leading up to the draft liked him a lot, I remember, but I wasn't willing to give him the benefit of the doubt over some of the bigger names even though I probably saw more in him. I think that's my lesson with Mitchell, is to not get caught up in the reputation of some of the bigger guys and look at things more objectively.

For instance, I never had Monk that high, I remember there was a period when he was on fire and people and sites had him at like 3-4 and I kept him around 6-8, but when he was quieter I didn't drop him beyond there. I think I overvalued his production as opposed to tools. Mitchell did more with his athleticism, much better defender, etc. I also think I overvalue youth at times, sometimes I'm a bit scared of falling in love with the slightly older guy, especially when they've made a big jump between college seasons and I'm scared it's a flash in the pan.

And I still have hope for Monk, I don't think he's been in a great situation, I think he should definitely be getting minutes instead of MCW, they need to commit to developing him if they're going to keep him, he's got all the tools to be a shot creator/maker at this level. As for Mitchell, I don't see PG in his future, maybe as a secondary position but not full time.
User avatar
cksdayoff
RealGM
Posts: 13,320
And1: 3,623
Joined: Jun 21, 2010

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#137 » by cksdayoff » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:21 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:I think if there's a sleeper in this draft, he's it. I have no idea where he's going to go in th draft, but he does everything well. He can play off ball, handle a little, has complicated moves to get around defenders, plays off ball, has a beautiful arc to his shot, defends, has a soft touch, is a good passer, finishes with contact, can dunk and I think his speed is sneakily underrated. He doesn't have a great first step, but he's a tricky player to stay in front of because he's so comfortable around the 3 point line. He seems to be quicker on fast breaks than in the lane. I don't think he has PG speed, but he's pretty quick. He's a back up handler or starting SG. Would be amazing for a team like Houston.


Interesting to see this. We need to watch how quick players are in the fast break to see how quick they’ll be in the lane in the NBA. That’s how Mitchell got so such quicker, the lanes are clogged in college. Trae Young is going to be better in the NBA and I have no doubt.


there's much better spacing in the nba. that's why fultz is going to be great at attacking the rim, and do better offensively than he did in college, because he was always double teamed and the paint was always clogged, yet he still managed to get to the rim and finish against 2 or 3 defenders.

people are sleeping on fultz so bad, he's an offensive weapon who knows how to score. and with embiid and a bunch of shooters, fultz is going to be a star
#failforfultz
User avatar
cksdayoff
RealGM
Posts: 13,320
And1: 3,623
Joined: Jun 21, 2010

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#138 » by cksdayoff » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:23 pm

GimmeDat wrote:For instance, I never had Monk that high, I remember there was a period when he was on fire and people and sites had him at like 3-4 and I kept him around 6-8, but when he was quieter I didn't drop him beyond there. I think I overvalued his production as opposed to tools. Mitchell did more with his athleticism, much better defender, etc. I also think I overvalue youth at times, sometimes I'm a bit scared of falling in love with the slightly older guy, especially when they've made a big jump between college seasons and I'm scared it's a flash in the pan.

And I still have hope for Monk, I don't think he's been in a great situation, I think he should definitely be getting minutes instead of MCW, they need to commit to developing him if they're going to keep him, he's got all the tools to be a shot creator/maker at this level. As for Mitchell, I don't see PG in his future, maybe as a secondary position but not full time.


not a fan of monk. the guy is one dimensional, he's jamal crawford without the handles. i had him in the top 10, but no where near the top 5.
#failforfultz
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,056
And1: 15,751
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#139 » by GimmeDat » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:17 pm

cksdayoff wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:For instance, I never had Monk that high, I remember there was a period when he was on fire and people and sites had him at like 3-4 and I kept him around 6-8, but when he was quieter I didn't drop him beyond there. I think I overvalued his production as opposed to tools. Mitchell did more with his athleticism, much better defender, etc. I also think I overvalue youth at times, sometimes I'm a bit scared of falling in love with the slightly older guy, especially when they've made a big jump between college seasons and I'm scared it's a flash in the pan.

And I still have hope for Monk, I don't think he's been in a great situation, I think he should definitely be getting minutes instead of MCW, they need to commit to developing him if they're going to keep him, he's got all the tools to be a shot creator/maker at this level. As for Mitchell, I don't see PG in his future, maybe as a secondary position but not full time.


not a fan of monk. the guy is one dimensional, he's jamal crawford without the handles. i had him in the top 10, but no where near the top 5.


Oh yeah, I had him further back than that as well, like I think a lot of people did. But he should still be a quality shot maker at the NBA level, it's a pity he's had such a quiet rookie season. He's shown a few flashes.
JMac1
Suns Forum Training Specialist
Posts: 10,032
And1: 4,004
Joined: May 23, 2009

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#140 » by JMac1 » Sat Mar 3, 2018 6:30 pm

I love these bump threads....lot of praise and a lot of crow to go around! Lol

Return to NBA Draft