Harry Giles

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

WalterBenjamin
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Re: Harry Giles 

Post#41 » by WalterBenjamin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 pm

And one more year in college at this level of play will make him a lottery pick? If we are talking about a scenario in whitch a player will get to his second contract then in any case it is better to get there early. If u hope to signe a rookie deal and that is your only hope good luck with that.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#42 » by DrCoach » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Somebody is going to Thon Maker him
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#43 » by Cammo101 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:29 pm

WalterBenjamin wrote:And one more year in college at this level of play will make him a lottery pick? If we are talking about a scenario in whitch a player will get to his second contract then in any case it is better to get there early. If u hope to signe a rookie deal and that is your only hope good luck with that.

If he's playing at a garbage level next year it doesn't much matter what he does this year. But, another year in college has a much better chance to get him back on track than riding some team's bench for a year or playing in the D League. And the upside if he does break out is much better because he'd make a lot more money in that first contract.
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#44 » by nurseryc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:56 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
WalterBenjamin wrote:Well if his condition is ok he will have a promise. If he ain't ok then he also risks another injury and his whole career. Rabb is the proof that if u have any kind of body of work and are a lottery or near lottery pick you should declare.

Rabb averaged 12.5 and 8.6 as a Freshman. Giles is averaging under 4 points and rebounds a game. Rabb had a body of work and should have declared, Giles does not.

Giles averages under 4 points for the mere fact that coach K won't play him. Even if Giles does a really nice play he is taken out of the game. I've seen it all season and listened to the commentators make reference to it. Duke is a terrible fit for Giles. He should transfer and do his second year at another school. Rabb would have seen even less minutes under coach K.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#45 » by Cammo101 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 pm

nurseryc wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:
WalterBenjamin wrote:Well if his condition is ok he will have a promise. If he ain't ok then he also risks another injury and his whole career. Rabb is the proof that if u have any kind of body of work and are a lottery or near lottery pick you should declare.

Rabb averaged 12.5 and 8.6 as a Freshman. Giles is averaging under 4 points and rebounds a game. Rabb had a body of work and should have declared, Giles does not.

Giles averages under 4 points for the mere fact that coach K won't play him. Even if Giles does a really nice play he is taken out of the game. I've seen it all season and listened to the commentators make reference to it. Duke is a terrible fit for Giles. He should transfer and do his second year at another school. Rabb would have seen even less minutes under coach K.

Yeah, I'm not buying that at all. Coach K doesn't have some vendetta against Giles and it's not like he's blocked by other amazing frontcourt players. Duke would have loved for Giles to take that step forward and prove he could be a 25 minute a game guy playing next to Jefferson. Giles simply never developed. He has been an average rotational big man all year long. That has nothing to do with Coach K or some perceived bad fit at Duke, it's just poor play. Giles wasn't half the player or prospect this year that Rabb was last year. Giles is coasting on name reputation and not much else right now.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,745

Post#46 » by eminence » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:07 pm

If he's there at the end of the 1st for the GSW pick that Utah has I'd like to see us roll the dice on him. Wouldn't be overly upset with using our pick on him either, but wouldn't feel as good about it.
I bought a boat.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#47 » by Cammo101 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:12 pm

eminence wrote:If he's there at the end of the 1st for the GSW pick that Utah has I'd like to see us roll the dice on him. Wouldn't be overly upset with using our pick on him either, but wouldn't feel as good about it.

I think fans of a lot of teams picking in the 20s would roll the dice. But, with high upside fallers fans are often a lot more willing to take that swing that teams actually are. We see guys every year fall out of the first round that fans of teams picking late in the first would have loved to see their team take a crack at. Look no further than Deyonte Davis and Skal last year.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#48 » by doordoor123 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:13 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
eminence wrote:If he's there at the end of the 1st for the GSW pick that Utah has I'd like to see us roll the dice on him. Wouldn't be overly upset with using our pick on him either, but wouldn't feel as good about it.

I think fans of a lot of teams picking in the 20s would roll the dice. But, with high upside fallers fans are often a lot more willing to take that swing that teams actually are. We see guys every year fall out of the first round that fans of teams picking late in the first would have loved to see their team take a crack at. Look no further than Deyonte Davis and Skal last year.

I guarantee he will be taken before 20. This guy was head above heels above the class before the college season. No chance a team doesn't take him before 20. I wouldn't look at Davis or Skal, I would look at Embiid and Noel (who were both going to be the number 1 pick before injury issues). He'll fall farther than those guys, but he will go before 20. I also guarantee his agent will be pushing that he is still recovering and needs more time, etc. I also wouldn't be surprised if he plays better with more space.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#49 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:42 pm

Coach K definitely do Giles any favors, and his development was (Please Use More Appropriate Word) because of that - which is unfortunate. He played well enough in the few minutes he did play to have earned more PT - which likely would have helped Duke. Per 40, he averaged 13.3 rebounds, 2.3 blocks, and 13.5 points despite rarely getting passed the ball - and his TS% and eFG were both 58%. And if he had gotten more minutes, he could have developed into the defensive rim-protector that Duke sorely needed. That's a lesson for all defensive-minded bigs - Don't go to Duke.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,485

Post#50 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:42 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

I guarantee he will be taken before 20. This guy was head above heels above the class before the college season. No chance a team doesn't take him before 20. I wouldn't look at Davis or Skal, I would look at Embiid and Noel (who were both going to be the number 1 pick before injury issues). He'll fall farther than those guys, but he will go before 20. I also guarantee his agent will be pushing that he is still recovering and needs more time, etc. I also wouldn't be surprised if he plays better with more space.

He was not heads and shoulders above the rest of the class and it is far from certain he'll be drafted in the top 20. Two knee surgeries, showed nothing at Duke -- these things matter.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,093

Post#51 » by The-Power » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:02 am

Ruzious wrote:Per 40, he averaged 13.3 rebounds, 2.3 blocks, and 13.5 points despite rarely getting passed the ball - and his TS% and eFG were both 58%. And if he had gotten more minutes, he could have developed into the defensive rim-protector that Duke sorely needed.

Not to mention the 7.7 PFs that would have prevented him from even playing anything close to 40 MPG. Who knows how he would have adjusted to playing more minutes but using per40 numbers for a player who averaged only 11.5 MPG and played only 26 Games doesn't make much sense - at least not if you want to argue with the numbers while not adding relevant context.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,461

Post#52 » by Saints14 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:51 am

Chad Ford seems to think he's a lotto pick if the knee checks out. If Thon Maker, questionable age and all can be drafted 10th it's certainly not unreasonable for Giles to be.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,485

Post#53 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:04 am

Saints14 wrote:Chad Ford seems to think he's a lotto pick if the knee checks out. If Thon Maker, questionable age and all can be drafted 10th it's certainly not unreasonable for Giles to be.

I think the top 10 is too locked for Giles to crack it. But I could see him going in the lottery if he kills his workouts.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Disposable Hero
Sophomore
And1: 60

Post#54 » by Disposable Hero » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:00 am

Ruzious wrote:Coach K definitely do Giles any favors, and his development was (Please Use More Appropriate Word) because of that - which is unfortunate. He played well enough in the few minutes he did play to have earned more PT - which likely would have helped Duke. Per 40, he averaged 13.3 rebounds, 2.3 blocks, and 13.5 points despite rarely getting passed the ball - and his TS% and eFG were both 58%. And if he had gotten more minutes, he could have developed into the defensive rim-protector that Duke sorely needed. That's a lesson for all defensive-minded bigs - Don't go to Duke.

I agree. It was inexplicable how Giles was utilized. I watched every game I could and even when he played well he would get yanked. I don't recall many plays being run for him, any PnR on offense where he could shine and for a team that needed rebounding they sure shied away from turning to Giles who is actually an excellent one. I can see why people thought he would look more skilled but big men always take longer to come around especially after injury. He should stay in school and come back and dominate but he'll probably come out due to the potential of him getting injured again. This was the worst coaching job from Coach K I can remember.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#55 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:21 am

nurseryc wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

So you think he should take next year off so he can play for a different college in 2019? Players have to sit out a year if they transfer schools.
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#56 » by nurseryc » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:38 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
nurseryc wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

So you think he should take next year off so he can play for a different college in 2019? Players have to sit out a year if they transfer schools.

Giles has the chance to be something really special, just not under coach K.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#57 » by Marcus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:45 am

Ruzious wrote:Coach K definitely do Giles any favors, and his development was (Please Use More Appropriate Word) because of that - which is unfortunate. He played well enough in the few minutes he did play to have earned more PT - which likely would have helped Duke. Per 40, he averaged 13.3 rebounds, 2.3 blocks, and 13.5 points despite rarely getting passed the ball - and his TS% and eFG were both 58%. And if he had gotten more minutes, he could have developed into the defensive rim-protector that Duke sorely needed. That's a lesson for all defensive-minded bigs - Don't go to Duke.

Your closing theory will be tested next year with Wendell Carter.

If Bolden goes back to school like he should Harry could be pushed out ala Chase Jeter (who should also consider leaving)
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:57 am

The-Power wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Per 40, he averaged 13.3 rebounds, 2.3 blocks, and 13.5 points despite rarely getting passed the ball - and his TS% and eFG were both 58%. And if he had gotten more minutes, he could have developed into the defensive rim-protector that Duke sorely needed.

Not to mention the 7.7 PFs that would have prevented him from even playing anything close to 40 MPG. Who knows how he would have adjusted to playing more minutes but using per40 numbers for a player who averaged only 11.5 MPG and played only 26 Games doesn't make much sense - at least not if you want to argue with the numbers while not adding relevant context.

He probably would have done better with more minutes and more experience and perhaps learned to avoid foul trouble. Just because the numbers don't tell the entire story - doesn't mean it makes any sense to ignore them.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:00 am

Marcus wrote:

Your closing theory will be tested next year with Wendell Carter.

If Bolden goes back to school like he should Harry could be pushed out ala Chase Jeter (who should also consider leaving)

And like I said in the beginning of the season, I'm doubtful that Duke is a good place for Bolden.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#60 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:05 am

nurseryc wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
nurseryc wrote:

Giles has the chance to be something really special, just not under coach K.

Sitting out a whole year to just play another year of college ball doesnt sound like the smartest choice for Giles. He could just get drafted late in the 1st round and the team could shut him down so he can train with the training staff all year.

Trust me I have not been one to defend K this year. From the start I have been very critical and think if it was any other coach, the talk today would be how he needs to get fired after how this year played out. K did a horrible job not letting the freshmen (not named Tatum) play through their mistakes. Giles who I thought shouldve gotten more minutes was never dominant like you said. He would put together a good 10 minute stretch then for the next 3 games he looked like he never played basketball before.

K has been horrible with bigs, im not denying that. But Giles was clearly extremely limited from his injuries this year and not playing basketball for basically 2 years really showed.

Return to NBA Draft