Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Re: 2019 Draft Class 

Post#3521 » by Illmatic12 » Sat May 4, 2019 11:52 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
i guess depends on your definition/standard of 'upper tier NBA athlete'...but I don't think Oubre and Winston necessarily qualify. good athletes? sure. top tier? nah.

and again, you keep throwing words like 'top tier' and 'standout' without clearly defining them...guys like RJ and Nas and Cam are all legit NBA level athletes, and I categorically disagree that this class doesn't have 'athletic wings'.

I don’t see a lot of forwards who will be able to switch onto quick guards. I’m not seeing many wings who can elevate and finish above the rim.

There are guys with “plus” athleticism but not game-changing athleticism. Like there is a reason why so many are not excited by this class , don’t think I’m saying anything controversial here.

how the hell does Oubre have 'game changing' athleticism?

Oubre Jr has a 7'2 wingspan and ranks near the top of the NBA in deflections per game. He has catlike reflexes and can stay in front of quick guards like IT and Kemba Walker (his mental focus on D comes and goes, but that's a different discussion) . It's a directly translatable athletic talent, and I struggle to find wing prospects in this class with these qualities. Nas Little.. maybe?? Ehh

If Culver had this kind of footspeed/quickness wouldn't we be talking about him as the surefire #2 pick?

pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 384

Post#3522 » by pad300 » Sun May 5, 2019 2:19 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:Oubre Jr has a 7'2 wingspan and ranks near the top of the NBA in deflections per game. He has catlike reflexes and can stay in front of quick guards like IT and Kemba Walker (his mental focus on D comes and goes, but that's a different discussion) . It's a directly translatable athletic talent, and I struggle to find wing prospects in this class with these qualities. Nas Little.. maybe?? Ehh

If Culver had this kind of footspeed/quickness wouldn't we be talking about him as the surefire #2 pick?

I'm not sure that footspeed is the word I would use. For example, look at the first steal in the video. He finishes the breakaway, but both defenders have caught up with him enough to impact the play (he shield and finishes anyway) - it's not fast feet that gets him steals, it's fast hands and long arms...
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#3523 » by Stillwater » Sun May 5, 2019 4:14 pm

Culver is light years ahead of KO as a basketball player , but Culver does not have the same burst or speed.
The difference between their games is significant and not really worthy of comparison
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#3524 » by King Ken » Sun May 5, 2019 4:18 pm

Stillwater wrote:Culver is light years ahead of KO as a basketball player , but Culver does not have the same burst or speed.
The difference between their games is significant and not really worthy of comparison

BBIQ wise, these two have a significant gap.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#3525 » by Stillwater » Sun May 5, 2019 4:20 pm

King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Culver is light years ahead of KO as a basketball player , but Culver does not have the same burst or speed.

Yeah thats what I said... :o
King Ken
General Manager

Post#3526 » by King Ken » Sun May 5, 2019 4:22 pm

Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:

Yeah thats what I said... :o

I agreed with you.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#3527 » by Stillwater » Sun May 5, 2019 4:26 pm

I am starting to think some people are sleeping on Culver at this point, I mean he remains one of the top prospects in this draft and despite his obvious lack of star 1st option upside could actually be good enough to get the nod once or twice in his career if he can get to his spots and make his ft.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#3528 » by clyde21 » Sun May 5, 2019 11:01 pm

i still see nothing in those vids that shows me Oubre is a 'game-changing' athlete. Not sure what you're watching there.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#3529 » by doordoor123 » Mon May 6, 2019 11:40 pm

I’m starting to see the best players in the NBA are really good at pulling up from 3 (in transition or half court) and mid-range. When you think about LeBron, Kawhi, Durant, Kyrie Irving, Lillard, Paul George, Harden, even Westbrook is a better player when he’s hitting his pull-up shots. All these guys get a lot of points off of pull-ups. Just shows how valuable that shot is. Other than that, it’s guys with great physical ability, like Siakam or Antetokounmpo. But it just puts in perspective how valuable it is to pull up either with the ball in hand or in transition.

Makes me wonder if I’m underrating guys like Jaylen Nowell and overrating guys like Tyler Herro (who is more of a spot up shooter with a floater game around the rim). It could also be why Reddish could be much better in the NBA.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#3530 » by King Ken » Tue May 7, 2019 12:26 am

doordoor123 wrote:I’m starting to see the best players in the NBA are really good at pulling up from 3 (in transition or half court) and mid-range. When you think about LeBron, Kawhi, Durant, Kyrie Irving, Lillard, Paul George, Harden, even Westbrook is a better player when he’s hitting his pull-up shots. All these guys get a lot of points off of pull-ups. Just shows how valuable that shot is. Other than that, it’s guys with great physical ability, like Siakam or Antetokounmpo. But it just puts in perspective how valuable it is to pull up either with the ball in hand or in transition.

Makes me wonder if I’m underrating guys like Jaylen Nowell and overrating guys like Tyler Herro (who is more of a spot up shooter with a floater game around the rim). It could also be why Reddish could be much better in the NBA.

Quality post
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#3531 » by RipCity71252 » Tue May 7, 2019 1:32 am

doordoor123 wrote:I’m starting to see the best players in the NBA are really good at pulling up from 3 (in transition or half court) and mid-range. When you think about LeBron, Kawhi, Durant, Kyrie Irving, Lillard, Paul George, Harden, even Westbrook is a better player when he’s hitting his pull-up shots. All these guys get a lot of points off of pull-ups. Just shows how valuable that shot is. Other than that, it’s guys with great physical ability, like Siakam or Antetokounmpo. But it just puts in perspective how valuable it is to pull up either with the ball in hand or in transition.

Herro is a great pull up shooter...

45% on all pull ups, 51% from 17ft-3pt...

Not sure what his source is though.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#3532 » by Coeur » Tue May 7, 2019 1:58 am

Herro is going to get drafted way sooner than people have him ranked. Nowell is going to be ready right away
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#3533 » by doordoor123 » Tue May 7, 2019 2:25 am

RipCity71252 wrote:

I like to **** on Herro even if he doesn’t deserve it
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect

Post#3534 » by RipCity71252 » Tue May 7, 2019 2:32 am

doordoor123 wrote:
RipCity71252 wrote:

Noted
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#3535 » by doordoor123 » Tue May 7, 2019 2:33 am

RipCity71252 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
RipCity71252 wrote:Herro is a great pull up shooter...

Noted

I couldn’t think of a counter-example off the top of my head.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect

Post#3536 » by RipCity71252 » Tue May 7, 2019 2:37 am

doordoor123 wrote:
RipCity71252 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Noted

I couldn’t think of a counter-example off the top of my head.

I think Keldon Johnson fits the player you're describing.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#3537 » by Roddy B for 3 » Tue May 7, 2019 2:59 am

Where do you think Culver should be drafted?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#3538 » by Stillwater » Tue May 7, 2019 5:14 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:

Where do you think Culver should be drafted?

Anywhere after the top 3 is possible but I'm guessing he goes 6-10 range if there isn't much movement in pick spots there.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#3539 » by clyde21 » Tue May 7, 2019 6:51 am

Herro has a great pull-up game...his shot diversity is already NBA level.

a stronger pull-up game would work wonders for a guy like RJ tho
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#3540 » by No-Man » Tue May 7, 2019 8:08 am

King Ken wrote:

Quality post

my ass quality post :lol: Tyler Herro is exactly the opposite, sucks at spot ups and is really good at pull-ups

Return to NBA Draft