2019 Draft Class

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Re: 2019 Draft Class 

Post#721 » by doordoor123 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Fischella wrote:it takes no time watching Jontay to realize that he isn't going to be a deterrent at the rim at the next level, he put up nice %BLK and blocks per 100/40 numbers, but the guy can't move back and forth or jump, is smart and has good positioning, so he might be able to challenge randoms at the dude, but against the upper echelon of finishers he is going to get murdered

he would have to evolve as an athlete a ton by getting in better shape, which is unlikely considering his recent injury, I mean I love him and all but a rim-protector he is not

What I was saying last year. The flip side is he’s a smart player and can hopefully draw charges.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#722 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:58 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Fischella wrote:it takes no time watching Jontay to realize that he isn't going to be a deterrent at the rim at the next level, he put up nice %BLK and blocks per 100/40 numbers, but the guy can't move back and forth or jump, is smart and has good positioning, so he might be able to challenge randoms at the dude, but against the upper echelon of finishers he is going to get murdered

he would have to evolve as an athlete a ton by getting in better shape, which is unlikely considering his recent injury, I mean I love him and all but a rim-protector he is not

What I was saying last year. The flip side is he’s a smart player and can hopefully draw charges.

100% a Boston player. The thing that worries me about his weight is that he had the highest BF% despite being the 10th heaviest. That's not good. Spellman's BF% was lower and people complained about him being doughy.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#723 » by doordoor123 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:09 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

100% a Boston player. The thing that worries me about his weight is that he had the highest BF% despite being the 10th heaviest. That's not good. Spellman's BF% was lower and people complained about him being doughy.

Weight can be an issue, but it can also just be immaturity. Marc Gasol, Draymond Green and Christian Wood got into shape after being out of shape. But then there are players like Jared Sullinger who can never fix his weight issue. But Porter comes from a basketball family and worked hard on his skill. I think once he’s in the right environment his body will change. Plus it can also be good that he’s overweight. Once he sheds his weight he might unlock Upside we didn’t know he had. He is fluid and knows the game. So character matters when looking at weight. And I think the Porter family has good character.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#724 » by nolang1 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:34 pm

doordoor123 wrote:I want to like Shamorie Ponds so much, but I can’t see him ever being able to defend in the NBA. At best he’s a third-string point guard for his career. Unless he’s putting up 20-30 points a game he’s going to have a hard time getting minutes.

I don't get what makes him so much worse of a defender than Kemba or someone like that, and if his threes are falling I think he can absolutely be one of the better offensive PGs in the league. He's got way more steals than personal fouls for his career, which is always a good sign.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#725 » by doordoor123 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:08 pm

nolang1 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:I want to like Shamorie Ponds so much, but I can’t see him ever being able to defend in the NBA. At best he’s a third-string point guard for his career. Unless he’s putting up 20-30 points a game he’s going to have a hard time getting minutes.

I don't get what makes him so much worse of a defender than Kemba or someone like that, and if his threes are falling I think he can absolutely be one of the better offensive PGs in the league. He's got way more steals than personal fouls for his career, which is always a good sign.

I don’t see it at all. Kemba is a good on-ball defender, moves fluidly. Ponds doesnt move well on defense and doesn’t have a feel for defending. You have to remember the players that he’s defending right now are not NBA guards, who pretty much can all take someone on one-on-one. He doesn’t have lateral quickness at all (like he’s never going to be able to move that way). The number of steals don’t equate how not good he is defensively in this case.
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,455

Post#726 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:21 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:I’m not overrating his defensive instincts at all, but ok. It’s funny how you’re “not willing” to “waste” a lotto pick on a talented offensive big with good defensive instincts, but appear to be willing to roll the dice with another big with mobility problems and lacking in skills, and another big with major IQ problems.

The +4 is completely arbitrary lol. Absolutely is.

This is pointless. I’m out, take care.

I never said that I would take Jontay over Reid though :lol:. We're strickly talking defense here. You're acting as if Reid will more than likely be some above average defender in the NBA but okay, that's your opinion.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#727 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:23 pm

McDaniels having a great game so far against Xavier - especially the last 5 minutes of the half.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#728 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:I’m not overrating his defensive instincts at all, but ok. It’s funny how you’re “not willing” to “waste” a lotto pick on a talented offensive big with good defensive instincts, but appear to be willing to roll the dice with another big with mobility problems and lacking in skills, and another big with major IQ problems.

The +4 is completely arbitrary lol. Absolutely is.

This is pointless. I’m out, take care.

I never said that I would take Jontay over Reid though :lol:. We're strickly talking defense here. You're acting as if Reid will more than likely be some above average defender in the NBA but okay, that's your opinion.

Just to be clear, I was talking about Bassey and Gafford - thought that was clear.

Ok, now I'm out.
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach

Post#729 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:41 pm

If these bigs were as bad as you make them sound, they wouldn't be considered lottery talent, but okay. Next season will be interesting.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#730 » by Marcus » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:McDaniels having a great game so far against Xavier - especially the last 5 minutes of the half.

I like Jalen, hadn't heard of the kid until i saw his brother shoot up the ranks. They both need to put on some semblance of size though.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,784

Post#731 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:If these bigs were as bad as you make them sound, they wouldn't be considered lottery talent, but okay. Next season will be interesting.

I think that speaks more towards the lack of talent outside of the top 4, moreso of the talent of the bigs in this class.
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach

Post#732 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:20 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:If these bigs were as bad as you make them sound, they wouldn't be considered lottery talent, but okay. Next season will be interesting.

I think that speaks more towards the lack of talent outside of the top 4, moreso of the talent of the bigs in this class.

I think the tier 4(10-16) talent is equal to or better than previous classes.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#733 » by nolang1 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:59 pm

Coming out party for Talen Horton-Tucker. 22 points (4-7 on threes), 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 blocks, and a steal with 4 minutes to go still. He's not even 18 years old yet.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#734 » by doordoor123 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:57 am

nolang1 wrote:Coming out party for Talen Horton-Tucker. 22 points (4-7 on threes), 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 blocks, and a steal with 4 minutes to go still. He's not even 18 years old yet.

I secretly think he will be a lottery pick. He does some things that are elite moves.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#735 » by GimmeDat » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:54 am

As soon as I get home I'm checking out Horton Tucker. That is a massive line for a guy that hasn't even turned 18. Never heard of him before today.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#736 » by GimmeDat » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:00 am

nolang1 wrote:

I was looking in to his defense the other day, because I just pencilled him in as a liability due to his size, but he actually has a reputation of being super active and doing well in spite of his stature. Obviously translation to NBA is another question when it comes to any undersized guy, but it does instill some hope.

If he be a serviceable defender and hit the 3 I'm pretty high on him. I think I like him more than Edwards, who has been mentioned here recently.
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#737 » by peachbucket » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:59 am

Add Luguentz Dort as another potential lottery talent...freshman putting up big numbers early. Reminds me of Harden physically and with the way he moves. This class is getting better and deeper by the day...
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#738 » by big-shot-ROB » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:54 am

peachbucket wrote:Add Luguentz Dort as another potential lottery talent...freshman putting up big numbers early. Reminds me of Harden physically and with the way he moves. This class is getting better and deeper by the day...

I don't think is getting deeper. All I see is a bunch of freshman and 2n year players playing well now, but come february with conference play their weaknesses start getting exposed and then the consensus is the draft is not deep. Then during combine and pre-draft days things get hyped again and some players (Jerome Robinson) explode out of nowhere.

As for Dort, he reminds me of Smart. A lot of bully-ball play in college, similar height/wingspan, really agressive, not overly explosive but really strong and compact. I guess his jumpshot is not completly broken, but his FG% needs to go up.

Don't know how Dort defense looks (for the comparison with Smart), though he averages 2.3 steals a game.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#739 » by No-Man » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:56 am

Dort has good movement skills but no feel/vision, on potential alone he is a 1st rounder probably, but I have a hard time buying in, unless you expect him to get guarded out there as a C&S shooter (which could be, since his form is good enough), and just attack very simple close-outs, dunno what he does for you offensively

I like his body type/versatility on D although I haven't watched enough to see if he is actually any good on that end

As for Ponds, there is no way he is athletic/quick enough to be a stud scorer, he is in sand sometimes while driving and that ain't a good sign, nice craft, handles, can hit the 3 (last year was probably an anomaly) but his vision while dribbling isn't good, and he isn't sudden enough, give me Edwards over him 100%
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#740 » by JHTruth » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:44 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:
peachbucket wrote:Add Luguentz Dort as another potential lottery talent...freshman putting up big numbers early. Reminds me of Harden physically and with the way he moves. This class is getting better and deeper by the day...

I don't think is getting deeper. All I see is a bunch of freshman and 2n year players playing well now, but come february with conference play their weaknesses start getting exposed and then the consensus is the draft is not deep. Then during combine and pre-draft days things get hyped again and some players (Jerome Robinson) explode out of nowhere.

As for Dort, he reminds me of Smart. A lot of bully-ball play in college, similar height/wingspan, really agressive, not overly explosive but really strong and compact. I guess his jumpshot is not completly broken, but his FG% needs to go up.

Don't know how Dort defense looks (for the comparison with Smart), though he averages 2.3 steals a game.

Marcus Smart went 6th overall. IDK why people keep saying this draft sucks. It seems at least as good as your average draft. Even has some real studs at the top..

Return to NBA Draft