Anyone else expecting a crazy top 5?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Anyone else expecting a crazy top 5? 

Post#1 » by Hogified05 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:38 pm

I could see Boston, LA and Philly all trading their picks/players.

*I think Boston moves their pick. Fultz makes no sense in Boston to me. Yes he can play off the ball, but he won't reach his full potential there. He doesn't compliment IT to me very well. Plus they have a bunch of cheaper guards that already got them to the Eastern finals. Could see them going after Butler (Think they are afraid George would leave). They need a body to go up against LeBron. Plus it's not that risky they have the Nets pick next year, which will probably be top 5 again.

*Lakers could send their pick and a young player to Indy for George. With Magic running things now, he is going want to improve and improve quickly. George would aid in that.

*Philly already has a gang load of young top draft picks. Plus they have Okafor they I assume are still looking to unload. Plus I feel like Monk is the ideal fit for them. An off guard shooter to put around Simmons and Embiid. 3 seems a tad high for Monk.

None of it probably will happen but I feel like at least one of these scenarios will go down. Not too mention teams like Orlando and NY will probably be looking to move up. Could make for a fun night.
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
Xherdan 23
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,537

Re: Anyone else expecting a crazy top 5? 

Post#2 » by Xherdan 23 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:40 pm

Boston - I don't like this idea for Boston.
They're not winning the championship with or without Butler, they're also not coming out of the east until Lebron significantly declines.

I think their best move is to keep their roster, try to sign Hayward and basically not give up young/future assets.

This would put them in great position in about 3-4 years as Horford and IT go off the books, they'll have Smart, Fultz, Brown and whoever the nets picks land them.

Lakers - LA would be crazy to give up assets for a player that will almost certainly sign with them next summer.

They're not contending this year anyway so why give up an asset? It makes no sense.

Sixers - This is something I thought about before.

I like the fit of Monk if they're running the offense through Simmons.

Monk would fit perfectly as an off-guard on offense while guarding PGs on defense.

Not sure who would want to trade up to 3rd though.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,217

Post#3 » by EvanZ » Wed May 17, 2017 10:40 pm

Nope.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#4 » by OGSactownballer » Thu May 18, 2017 10:16 pm

I have a bit of a strange feel about it but it more about where players are slotted right now.

I can completely see Boston moving this pick and going down in search of a defensive rim protector (most of whom are pegged much lower this year because of all the good guards). Also I am not personally sold on Fultz as head and shoulders above the rest of the top possibles. I really questions his drive/motor and that also means ability to lead/make the guys around you better. I see him as a guard version of Carmelo. Self centered and not a true leader. And the fit is atrocious for Boston as well. Isaiah's ball dominance is why he and DMC could not co-exist. Fultz is a PG.

I cannot see the Laker organization - especially with Magic in charge - tolerating LaVar Ball and his circus. They are in control or he won't play there. And I honestly think that Fox is the better all-around player/leader.

Philly is a damn wild card. They always go BPA even if it is a repeat of whatever is in their roster already. I could see them taking Matkkanen because of their love for bugs and a Porzingis envy. I could also see them reading down but not likely. Maybe pick swap up with something for the Lakers pick if Magic wants an excuse to not take Ball.

Not sure in the other teams but I am totally convinced that my Kings will move at least one of our picks with a young player to get a solid vet in the starting lineup with our very young team.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#5 » by HotelVitale » Fri May 19, 2017 4:07 am

Xherdan 23 wrote: Sixers - This is something I thought about before. I like the fit of Monk if they're running the offense through Simmons. Monk would fit perfectly as an off-guard on offense while guarding PGs on defense. Not sure who would want to trade up to 3rd though.
Why does everyone keep saying they love the fit of Monk? Seems a little lazy to say that, since Simmons isn't a great shooter, their one and only need is some other dude who can volume shoot. The Sixers already have a number of shooters and it's not like they're one player away from contending. They need defense, IQ, shooting, play-making (Simmons, Embiid, Saric, and Okafor--their big rotation--are the only real initiators on the team). They're super young and don't know what they have, much too early to say that a shortish shooter will come in and make the team whole.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#6 » by Dr Positivity » Fri May 19, 2017 5:25 am

My theory is Monk could be rated higher internally than media is reporting right now. When you look at how much shooting is in right now, it feels weird that 2-5 right now are a ball dominant pass first PG (Ball), non shooting wing (Jackson), shot creating wing (Tatum) and not shooting PG (Fox). Monk is saying the right things about how they weren't letting him use his on ball skills. His agent can point to Devin Booker and say look at the skills he had that Cal didn't show.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#7 » by jonjames » Fri May 19, 2017 5:32 am

cconventional wisdom says philly will go bpa @ 3 regardless of fit bc of their given history..which would then presumably be Josh Jackson. However his skillset doesn't exactly improve them drsmatically as the Sixers biggest need to address is still playmaker. In theory simmons playing the point sounds great but it won't work in reality. He can bring the ball up andvplay spot minutes at pg but he can not run an offense proficiently. Sixers need to address pg opinion more than anuthing. If they really want to shake up this draft they will go with either of monk or fox..if they play it safe I think they pick jackson and not look back.
luka27
Sophomore
And1: 127

Post#8 » by luka27 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:45 am

Would #2, Randle and Mozgov/Deng for George be possible for both sides? Would LA need to add more for someone who is coming in 2018 anyway?
Indiana gets #2 and Randle for someone who will leave anyway probably.
LA gets the player they want + get rid of one bad contract to have more cap space for this or next offseason.

And on top LA not picking Lonzo is just an added bonus to the trade.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,367

Post#9 » by baldur » Fri May 19, 2017 7:10 am

luka27 wrote:Would #2, Randle and Mozgov/Deng for George be possible for both sides? Would LA need to add more for someone who is coming in 2018 anyway?
Indiana gets #2 and Randle for someone who will leave anyway probably.
LA gets the player they want + get rid of one bad contract to have more cap space for this or next offseason.

And on top LA not picking Lonzo is just an added bonus to the trade.

we are not giving anything up for him.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#10 » by Dr Positivity » Fri May 19, 2017 7:21 am

Succeed or fail (I think it would fail), an entertaining scenario to me is Phoenix drafting Monk and thinking he's a PG. Then they trade Bledsoe, and Monk Booker get hype as baby Splash Bros. They play GSW pace and try as hard as they can to use Bender in Draymond role.
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#11 » by cksdayoff » Fri May 19, 2017 9:50 am

I'm thinking ball drops a bit. not so sure Lakers take him
#failforfultz
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#12 » by EricAnderson » Fri May 19, 2017 2:09 pm

I could see Philly trading the pick.. how many teenagers can one team have?i think Colangelo wants to try to make the playoffs next year
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#13 » by Upperclass » Fri May 19, 2017 3:02 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see Philly trade back for a pick and a pg either. Not sure who they could target though. McCollum would be amazing in Philly if they had the assets
Xherdan 23
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by Xherdan 23 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:48 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Xherdan 23 wrote: Sixers - This is something I thought about before. I like the fit of Monk if they're running the offense through Simmons. Monk would fit perfectly as an off-guard on offense while guarding PGs on defense. Not sure who would want to trade up to 3rd though.
Why does everyone keep saying they love the fit of Monk? Seems a little lazy to say that, since Simmons isn't a great shooter, their one and only need is some other dude who can volume shoot. The Sixers already have a number of shooters and it's not like they're one player away from contending. They need defense, IQ, shooting, play-making (Simmons, Embiid, Saric, and Okafor--their big rotation--are the only real initiators on the team). They're super young and don't know what they have, much too early to say that a shortish shooter will come in and make the team whole.

I think if Monk was 6'5 we wouldn't be having this discussion and he'd be the #1 shooting guard in this draft.

But he isn't, he's 6'2, PG size without PG skills and that pretty much kills his value. Unless you actually have a PG in a PF body that his main weaknesses are outside shooting and guarding PG and you need that small shooter to compliment him.

Now, can you think of a team that has that situation?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#15 » by HotelVitale » Fri May 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Xherdan 23 wrote: I think if Monk was 6'5 we wouldn't be having this discussion and he'd be the #1 shooting guard in this draft.
But he isn't, he's 6'2, PG size without PG skills and that pretty much kills his value. Unless you actually have a PG in a PF body that his main weaknesses are outside shooting and guarding PG and you need that small shooter to compliment him. Now, can you think of a team that has that situation?
Except Monk isn't a good defender, so having him cover opposing 1s doesn't solve that problem. And it creates another problem of needing to play a wing who can guard opposing 2s, which might force Simmons to guard opposing 3s. And it also forces Simmons to be the PG all the time (rather than just being the primary initiator), since Monk doesn't have basic PG skills at the NBA level.

The perfect compliment to Simmons is a good defender and shooter at PG who doesn't need to dominate the ball to be effective but can also do some playmaking and get his own shot when necessary. That sounds more like potential FA targets G Hill or Jrue but it's not Monk--so he's not a great enough fit that we'd want to pass on a better player. And even if he was a great fit, we're not good or proven enough to pass up great upside players whom we have roles for (like Josh Jackson) to seek out missing pieces.
Xherdan 23
Bench Warmer

Post#16 » by Xherdan 23 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:20 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Xherdan 23 wrote: I think if Monk was 6'5 we wouldn't be having this discussion and he'd be the #1 shooting guard in this draft.
But he isn't, he's 6'2, PG size without PG skills and that pretty much kills his value. Unless you actually have a PG in a PF body that his main weaknesses are outside shooting and guarding PG and you need that small shooter to compliment him. Now, can you think of a team that has that situation?
Except Monk isn't a good defender, so having him cover opposing 1s doesn't solve that problem. And it creates another problem of needing to play a wing who can guard opposing 2s, which might force Simmons to guard opposing 3s. And it also forces Simmons to be the PG all the time (rather than just being the primary initiator), since Monk doesn't have basic PG skills at the NBA level.

The perfect compliment to Simmons is a good defender and shooter at PG who doesn't need to dominate the ball to be effective but can also do some playmaking and get his own shot when necessary. That sounds more like potential FA targets G Hill or Jrue but it's not Monk--so he's not a great enough fit that we'd want to pass on a better player. And even if he was a great fit, we're not good or proven enough to pass up great upside players whom we have roles for (like Josh Jackson) to seek out missing pieces.

I'm not suggesting drafting Monk at 3, just pointing out that I think he could be a nice fit next to Simmons.

I saw an offer on the T&T board where Philly send #3 to the Kings for #5 and #10.

I think Kings say no but would you do it as a Philly fan?
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#17 » by HotelVitale » Fri May 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Xherdan 23 wrote: I'm not suggesting drafting Monk at 3, just pointing out that I think he could be a nice fit next to Simmons. I saw an offer on the T&T board where Philly send #3 to the Kings for #5 and #10. I think Kings say no but would you do it as a Philly fan?
I think pretty much all of us would, though some are starting to fall in love with Jackson. Most of us like Monk but just don't want to reach when there are better prospects who have roles waiting for them. And adding on another high-upside guy at 10 would be enough sweetener.

The only downside is that our roster is nearly stuffed so it doesn't make logical sense to trade 1-for-2. We already have a ton of guys on rookie or minimum deals (Simmons, Embiid, Dario, TLC, Covington, Okafor, McConnell, Stauskas, J Anderson), and we have extra likely lotto picks in 2018 and 2019 plus a bunch of 2nd rounders (and Korkmaz stashed, though he might come over this year). At some pt we'll need to trade away assets just to keep them on the team.
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,478

Post#18 » by Karmaloop » Fri May 19, 2017 10:05 pm

No. Boston has pretty much already came out and said they're not trading the pick unless they get a godfather offer. Lakers probably aren't moving that pick unless they get a huge haul. So outside of those two, you're looking at 3-5 if you want to see movement. Philadelphia probably doesn't have any motivation to move up, and they're probably not dangling future picks on a potential rental like Paul George. I suppose Phoenix is the most likely of the top 5 to move their pick.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#19 » by Michael Lucky » Fri May 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Definitely expect all three teams to keep their picks. You might have a better shot at player movement for Boston and La at next year's trade deadline.
T12
Junior
And1: 159

Post#20 » by T12 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:56 am

Its going to be interesting to see how the draft falls. To me the suns and sixers is where it gets interesting. N
either the Suns nor the Sixers need a 3/4 which Tatum and Jackson both are.

Literally the 5 best 76ers are front court players. 3 of them are SF/PF. Their back court right now consists of Stauskas, Rodriguez, McConnell, Barless, and Henderson. You can even tell me that Simmons will run point...but he cant shoot...so you still have an issue. I am not buying that they draft either Tatum or Jackson...trade down possible but they need a guard, and i am willing to bet if they like one enough, they take him and not worry about "reaching" a spot or 3.

Suns, have Bender, Chriss and Warren as forward, with Len as a piece at C. But unlike the sixers they have point/combo guards, be it ones they have tried to trade on numerous occasions. They need a SG or a SG/SF combo...i actually think Jackson fits the bill here because of the all around nature of his game...but even thats not an ideal fit.

With all that being said, if you think a guy is a transcendent player you take him regardless of position, but none of these kids is going to be. good deep draft but Ball might be the only guy i'd sell the farm for.

This is how i see the draft go...

1. Fultz - celtics know ball wont go there, they may also think Fultz is not a PG in the pro's. so makes some sense.

2. Ball - makes too much sense

3. Fox - i think the sixers take Fox, and i dont think its close. He is the only player that makes any sense this high

4. Suns - Jackson, see above

5. Kings - This is tough call, the kings need everything but Center/big PF and SG...i think when its all set and done they will reach for Dennis Smith JR. An aggressive ball dominant point makes a ton of sense there. The other thing is that Gay and Tatum definitely overlap...and i am not sure Sacramento is looking to ship Gay out of town.

6. Magic - another tough call. Tatum seems to be the obvious pick but orlando is in serious need of a dead eye shooter with a fast release and ability to create his own shot. I think Monk is special, and the fit is there. If Monk isnt gone at 3 which i think is possible, i think is the the next spot he could land.

Return to NBA Draft