Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,481

What are your thoughts on Jawun Evans? 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:59 am

Oklahoma State ran a pick and roll heavy offense with 56.3% of Evans' total derived offensive possessions (which includes shots, passes, fouls drawn, and turnovers) ending as the pick and roll ball handler according to Synergy Sports Technology. He showed that he is comfortable attacking the ball screen in a variety of ways, whether by rejecting the screen to get into the lane or forcing a switch to attack a big man off the dribble. He gets into space with a creative change of pace and impressive downhill quickness to bend the defense, and he should be able to seamlessly make the transition to a NBA style offense as he led the most efficient offense in the country primarily through his pick and roll attack. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jawun-Evans-76420/ ©DraftExpress

That's the good...here's the bad..

Evans has little trouble getting into the lane off the dribble but has struggled to score once he gets there as his 45.3% 2-point field goal percentage ranked fourth worst among NCAA prospects in our top-100. He isn't afraid to attack the basket and challenge rim protectors, but hasn't found much success finishing from close range at the college level, as he converted just 47% of his half-court attempts inside the paint last season according to Synergy Sports Technology. His lack of size and just decent explosiveness are major issues here, and is something he'll have to work to overcome in the NBA. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jawun-Evans-76420/ ©DraftExpress
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Re: What are your thoughts on Jawun Evans? 

Post#2 » by GimmeDat » Tue May 23, 2017 3:20 am

I think at minimum, he will be a very solid back up. He deserves to go somewhere in the first. However, the sheer depth of PG talent in the league now may see him passed on by a bunch of teams.

He's undersized but makes up for it a bit with his length. He's an NBA caliber player without much doubt in my mind. We also saw the success of Tyler Ulis last year despite height and weight concerns, and Evans has far less of a disadvantage to someone like Ulis. Felder was very decent as well.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,040

Post#3 » by Mr B » Tue May 23, 2017 5:09 am

Sounds perfect for the D-League. Sounds like the skill is there but will have to get better at finishing and work his way up the hard way.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,190

Post#4 » by cedric76 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:21 pm

Steal of the draft

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
PickMeUpASixer
Junior
And1: 93

Post#5 » by PickMeUpASixer » Tue May 23, 2017 6:54 pm

Nobody in CBB could stay in front of him, that alone makes me think he'll find a spot in the league. Far from a complete scorer though.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#6 » by jonjames » Wed May 24, 2017 4:03 am

Ish smith who was solid at wake forest he's somehow carved out a niche for himself in the league being an undersized guard. Evans has very strong point guard skills and innate feel for game I feel confident whichever team picks him will be getting a very good backup at the least..in my eyes he has legit starter potential and to get that kind value in late 1st is a steal.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,677

Post#7 » by SelfishPlayer » Wed May 24, 2017 5:00 am

He's too small and not an explosive enough athlete to make it in the NBA IMO. I believe that It's more probable for him to never play a single regular season minute in the NBA than it is for him to ever become a starter.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#8 » by The-Power » Wed May 24, 2017 11:28 am

I can see him coming off the bench as a spark on offense as a back-up PG if he works on his weaknesses. It's not a given, though, so he's probably a 2nd round pick due to teams in the late 1st either going for more perceived potential or for a more NBA-ready role player.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#9 » by doordoor123 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:28 pm

I thought Evans was one of the best point guards in college this past year, I wouldn't overlook him. If Ish Smith can be a solid starter, I think Evans will be really good. He has so much explosiveness, he's shifty, good vision and can get really hot. He really needs to learn to slow down in the NBA and that's what might hurt him, but I see him at least being a back up. At most, a solid starter.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#10 » by Old Man Game » Thu May 25, 2017 2:16 am

He's got great feel offensively but his defense leaves a lot to be desired. Still think he can be a quality backup akin to a DJ Augustin.

Return to NBA Draft