Which player projected in the 1st round will go entirely undrafted?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Re: Which player projected in the 1st round will go entirely undrafted? 

Post#21 » by kalenclayton » Tue May 30, 2017 3:14 pm

machu46 wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:To be honest, I don't see anyone being projected in the first that will go undrafted this year. I see some guys that can drop pretty darn far, but not go undrafted. IMO, the player I see being overdrafted is:

John Collins (DX - 18; tankathon - 13; nbadraft.net - 13): I think this kid is good, but I don't see anything more than good bench big. I can totally see him being drafted in the late 20s or early 2nd.

Am I just not seeing something?

It's tough to say what Collins will become. I'm personally very high on him. He was one of, if not the best pick-and-roll finisher in the country this season and is also probably the best rebounder in the draft. He's also the same age as many of the freshmen in this draft.

I think a lot of his success will come down to two things:
1. If he can learn the defensive side of the ball; he has the physical tools to be a pretty good defender but his fundamentals and awareness are both very spotty (and that's probably being generous)
2. The development of his jumpshot. He's a solid free throw shooter, shot the mid-range jumper well, and shot the 3 point ball well at the combine. But the volume (outside of the FT shooting) is very small at this point. But if the small sample sizes both in college and at the combine carry over, he could be a very dynamic offensive player who also rebounds at a very high rate.

I'm hoping he's the guy for Milwaukee at #17, but I think he'll be taken in the lottery.

I hope you are right. I don't like being down on guys. Currently, I see Collins as a guy from a different era. Hopefully it works out for him.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#22 » by Ruzious » Tue May 30, 2017 4:42 pm

Fischella wrote:
Ruzious wrote:And it depends on what mocks you're talking about. For example, Kyle Kuzma is projected 17th by nbadraft.net, while draftexpress has him 43rd. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not drafted.

I'd be shocked, he is closer to get picked in the 1st than not getting drafted

I don't know that we're that far off unless you think he'll go first. I think he has a good chance of going second, but again it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't. I think his position has to be stretch 4, but in 3 college seasons, he never reached 33% on his 3's. He's not an impact defender - doesn't block shots or come up with steals. And he turns the ball over a lot for someone who doesn't do a whole lot on offense. At this point, he just doesn't excell at anything. But there's hope for him a couple years down the road if he can develop an NBA 3, because he's a smooth athlete with okay skills. Still, with his FT% being in the 60's, there's not a lot of reason to believe he'll develop that NBA 3.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#23 » by Ruzious » Tue May 30, 2017 4:56 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
machu46 wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:To be honest, I don't see anyone being projected in the first that will go undrafted this year. I see some guys that can drop pretty darn far, but not go undrafted. IMO, the player I see being overdrafted is:

John Collins (DX - 18; tankathon - 13; nbadraft.net - 13): I think this kid is good, but I don't see anything more than good bench big. I can totally see him being drafted in the late 20s or early 2nd.

Am I just not seeing something?

It's tough to say what Collins will become. I'm personally very high on him. He was one of, if not the best pick-and-roll finisher in the country this season and is also probably the best rebounder in the draft. He's also the same age as many of the freshmen in this draft.

I think a lot of his success will come down to two things:
1. If he can learn the defensive side of the ball; he has the physical tools to be a pretty good defender but his fundamentals and awareness are both very spotty (and that's probably being generous)
2. The development of his jumpshot. He's a solid free throw shooter, shot the mid-range jumper well, and shot the 3 point ball well at the combine. But the volume (outside of the FT shooting) is very small at this point. But if the small sample sizes both in college and at the combine carry over, he could be a very dynamic offensive player who also rebounds at a very high rate.

I'm hoping he's the guy for Milwaukee at #17, but I think he'll be taken in the lottery.

I hope you are right. I don't like being down on guys. Currently, I see Collins as a guy from a different era. Hopefully it works out for him.

I like both of the Collins'. I think people underrated John's athletic ability. While he's not real long, he's got a 37.5 inch vertical and has a good feel for running in transition. Terrific rebounder, did make an impact on defense - though has big problems with footwork that he needs to work on, and was pretty much unstoppable scoring inside. I would not assume he can't develope a perimeter game, because natural scorers like him tend to adjust. And I hear he has been doing well in 3 point shooting drills. I can understand why people are hesitant about him, but when a 19 year old produces big number so efficiently, I perk up. He's younger than some of the freshman in the draft.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
JohnWillow
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,702

Post#24 » by JohnWillow » Wed May 31, 2017 10:52 am

Fotis St wrote:Kurucs from Barcelona FC ... projected 1st but he could go undrafted...

Celtics fan. :crazy:
We also face the Kings twice in the near future. I think it's time Yabu pays back some of that free money he's been given his entire career and bounces Fox for a nice 2 week ankle sprain.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#25 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 1, 2017 11:44 pm

Collins is like a poor man's Blake.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Post#26 » by ThatBoyNick » Fri Jun 2, 2017 5:21 am

Definitely think Justin Jackson could slip big time, like a mid second slip. I personally wouldn't even take him with either of the Rockets 2nds.

Return to NBA Draft