Who's the best FIT for the Sixers

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Assuming Fultz and Ball got 1 and 2 who's the best fit?

Malik Monk
57%
Josh Jackson
10%
Jayson Tatum
14%
De'Aaron Fox
9%
Jonathan Iaasic
1%
Frank Ntilikina
8%

Total votes: 77

Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Re: Who's the best FIT for the Sixers 

Post#21 » by Village Idiot » Mon May 29, 2017 6:43 am

Donovan Mitchell is the ideal fit. Good outside shooter, athletic defender with really long arms. They should consider trading down or getting a 2nd pick in the 6-11 range
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
TheMadTopher
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#22 » by TheMadTopher » Mon May 29, 2017 6:45 am

The-Power wrote:
JoJoEmbiid wrote:Try to defend this-
Simmons
3 and D guard
Tatum
Saric
Embiid

Good luck with your own defense.

I think,
C: Embiid
PF: Simmons (covers 4 on D, point forward on offense)
SF: Covington
SG: ? / TLC / UFA / Stauskas /Anderson
SG2: Monk (covers PG on D).

Bench
Saric (getting 24-30 min / night) & Holmes
McConnel & Bayless
TLC and Anderson can also play a few minutes at the 3 depending on the situation.

Would love the ? SG to be Ntilinka if they could get back in the bottom of the top 10. Maybe also a 2 year rental on Reddick. Two year deal won't interfere with the cap later when we can land marquee free agents or just have to resign our own.
TheMadTopher
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#23 » by TheMadTopher » Mon May 29, 2017 6:49 am

GimmeDat wrote:
TheMadTopher wrote:I'm just not sure how good Lonzo would be playing off ball.

He actually has an exceptionally low usage rate for a PG. Swings the ball quickly, doesn't hold it up with his dribble, and a good slasher/shooter off ball.

Interesting. I wonder how Ball could do shooting 3s off a high screen or shooting contested 3s. I really hope Monk ends up in a Sixer uniform.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#24 » by Kolkmania » Mon May 29, 2017 9:00 am

GimmeDat wrote:
whitehops wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:I think it's obviously Ntilikina or Monk, but they're not the best talents available.

Unless Philly trades back, they're going to have to balance the trade-off between fit and talent.

I voted for Ntilikina because in theory he's a 3/D PG (and then some of course, not limiting him to that) that can spot up, be a lock down defender, and create from the PG spot. That said, he's also the lowest rated out of these players for a reason, I think with the lowest floor, or perhaps least likely to reach their ceiling.

Monk's next best fit, you *could* play him at PG assuming Simmons is the full time offensive PG and he would thrive with his shooting/scoring.

Side note: If Ball drops to 3 I think he's a very intriguing fit for Philly.

i was really hoping that philly got the lakers pick so they could potentially get someone like jackson (BPA) and then take monk with their second pick. monk is not a PG (nor will be, imo) but he could be a secondary ball handler to simmons, provide spacing which the sixers need and defend point guards which he's better suited for anyways. also, the thought of a simmons/emiid pick and roll with some off-ball action like monk coming off screens and covington and saric spreading the floor is drool-worthy. having simmons lead the offense with the spacing of monk, covington, saric and embiid could be deadly, especially when you consider that monk and saric can create a bit on the wing as second/third ball handlers and then obviously have embiid.

thinking about it now, i think the sixers almost should take monk anyways. ball being available is the exception like you said. i think them taking monk over tatum is a no-brainer but passing on jackson is tough. i really like fox as a prospect but don't like the fit with philly.

I don't like the fit for Fox either, assuming Simmons is what we think he is at the NBA level.

I think it makes a lot of sense to try and move down a few spots.

Someone mentioned 3 for LaVine and 7 in the trade board not too long ago and I don't think it's the worst idea (if you subscribe to the notion that Wiggins and LaVine aren't a great fit together and both are best at SG). I think Philly would have to add something like Okafor/Anderson on to that for Minny to pull the trigger, imo, but if so, I think that would very interesting.

Resulting rotations -

Spoiler:
Rubio/Jones/Dunn
Wiggins/Dunn/Rush
Jackson/Anderson
KAT/Casspi
Dieng/Okafor

Monk/McConnell
LaVine/TLC/Stauskas
Covington/TLC/Simmons
Simmons/Saric/Covington
Embiid/Holmes

This makes sense for both sides. Having Wiggins, LaVine and KAT playing 40 minutes per game is really limiting the Wolves on the defensive end, trading LaVine for a more team-orientated player like Jackson would lead to a more balanced line-up.
For the Sixers it's a viable option as well, I probably prefer drafting Jonathan Isaac (who knows, perhaps he's available at 7), but drafting Monk/DSJ/Isaac/Fox/Tatum at 7 is good value. Plus, LaVine is a really good fit next to Simmons, I really like him as a 2 guard, shooting off screens and he's a huge targets for lobs. Not the best player defensively, but being surrounded by Covington and Embiid helps a lot.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#25 » by The-Power » Mon May 29, 2017 9:06 am

TheMadTopher wrote:Would love the ? SG to be Ntilinka if they could get back in the bottom of the top 10.

Fit-wise I like Ntilikina more than anybody in this draft your the 76ers. Whether he makes sense early in the draft depends on how high you are on his talents (I rate him pretty highly compared to the average).
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#26 » by GimmeDat » Mon May 29, 2017 9:08 am

Kolkmania wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
whitehops wrote:
i was really hoping that philly got the lakers pick so they could potentially get someone like jackson (BPA) and then take monk with their second pick. monk is not a PG (nor will be, imo) but he could be a secondary ball handler to simmons, provide spacing which the sixers need and defend point guards which he's better suited for anyways. also, the thought of a simmons/emiid pick and roll with some off-ball action like monk coming off screens and covington and saric spreading the floor is drool-worthy. having simmons lead the offense with the spacing of monk, covington, saric and embiid could be deadly, especially when you consider that monk and saric can create a bit on the wing as second/third ball handlers and then obviously have embiid.

thinking about it now, i think the sixers almost should take monk anyways. ball being available is the exception like you said. i think them taking monk over tatum is a no-brainer but passing on jackson is tough. i really like fox as a prospect but don't like the fit with philly.

I don't like the fit for Fox either, assuming Simmons is what we think he is at the NBA level.

Someone mentioned 3 for LaVine and 7 in the trade board not too long ago and I don't think it's the worst idea (if you subscribe to the notion that Wiggins and LaVine aren't a great fit together and both are best at SG). I think Philly would have to add something like Okafor/Anderson on to that for Minny to pull the trigger, imo, but if so, I think that would very interesting.

Resulting rotations -

Spoiler:
Rubio/Jones/Dunn
Wiggins/Dunn/Rush
Jackson/Anderson
KAT/Casspi
Dieng/Okafor

Monk/McConnell
LaVine/TLC/Stauskas
Covington/TLC/Simmons
Simmons/Saric/Covington
Embiid/Holmes

This makes sense for both sides. Having Wiggins, LaVine and KAT playing 40 minutes per game is really limiting the Wolves on the defensive end, trading LaVine for a more team-orientated player like Jackson would lead to a more balanced line-up.
For the Sixers it's a viable option as well, I probably prefer drafting Jonathan Isaac (who knows, perhaps he's available at 7), but drafting Monk/DSJ/Isaac/Fox/Tatum at 7 is good value. Plus, LaVine is a really good fit next to Simmons, I really like him as a 2 guard, shooting off screens and he's a huge targets for lobs. Not the best player defensively, but being surrounded by Covington and Embiid helps a lot.

I actually lean towards drafting Ntilikina in this scenario instead of Monk for Philly, because he's more of a PG and a much better defender - makes more sense next to LaVine. I just put Monk in there because he's more popular in the poll.
drone3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,525

Post#27 » by drone3 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:09 am

Monk makes the most sense fit wise, but you just can't pass on J. Jackson​. Top 10 picks this year a very good, JJ will be better then Wiggins.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#28 » by Kolkmania » Mon May 29, 2017 9:19 am

GimmeDat wrote:I actually lean towards drafting Ntilikina in this scenario instead of Monk for Philly, because he's more of a PG and a much better defender - makes more sense next to LaVine. I just put Monk in there because he's more popular in the poll.

I haven't seen enough of Frank Ntilikina to make a strong argument, but from the 2/3 games I've seen I don't think he has the burst to play PG in the NBA, I see him as an secondary playmaker who can defend wings and some slower point guards. Not that high on Monk either, I can see the upside if he'll improve his handles and become a better shot creator, but he's too one dimensional for me.

I'm really high on Jonathan Isaac and Dennis Smith and drafting one of them at 7 would be tremendous value for that range, but so are Fox, Monk, Tatum and even Ntilikina, if you like him more than I do, compared to recent years.
LALifer49
Rookie
And1: 862

Post#29 » by LALifer49 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:08 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
whitehops wrote:

Resulting rotations -

Spoiler:
Rubio/Jones/Dunn
Wiggins/Dunn/Rush
Jackson/Anderson
KAT/Casspi
Dieng/Okafor

Monk/McConnell
LaVine/TLC/Stauskas
Covington/TLC/Simmons
Simmons/Saric/Covington
Embiid/Holmes

That Twolves starting unit has exactly 1 shooter in the lineup, and he's their bigman
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,282

Post#30 » by PhilBlackson » Mon May 29, 2017 9:51 pm

The answer is Josh Jackson.

Yes Monk is a great fit in the sense that you add a great shooter which is wonderful and all but they have Korkmaz joining them next year as well and if they are really pressed for shooting there will be guys like JJ Reddick etc around.

But Jackson is the total package. The kid does so many things for a team on the court that aren't just limited to spot up shooting which he has already started improving on and he is good off the ball. In addition to bringing more defence (which is much needed that Monk lacks) and rebounding, he has great on court intagibles. He plays with a tremendous amount of fire, competitiveness, leadership and desire to win that's hard to find and even more sorely needed in PHI. You can count on Jackson to put up a fight game in and game out. Philly needs a winner and Jackson is one.

Guys like Fox, Tatum, Ntlinka all need the ball in their hands to be effective so you will be forcing either them or Simmons to play off the ball and none them are good off the ball...while all 3 of those names are good on the ball, Ben is great and Jackson finds other ways to effect a game in addition to being able to find lanes to cut in or find an open spot on the court as he had to next to Mason.

His overall impact on the court and multiple ways to contribute on the court will have a much greater effect than any of the other names not named Fultz or Ball could offer. Philly needs to take Jackson and don't look back.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#31 » by reanimator » Mon May 29, 2017 10:22 pm

Out of those options, its Ntilikina but DSJ is the best ideal fit IMO outside of Ball/Fultz.
PickMeUpASixer
Junior
And1: 93

Post#32 » by PickMeUpASixer » Tue May 30, 2017 1:32 pm

Frank is the best "fit" as a secondary playmaker, with defensive versatility and shooting ability. However, the talent difference is substantial, Sixers end up with Jackson who is the consensus best talent.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#33 » by Worst_to_First » Fri Jun 2, 2017 10:38 pm

I am quite certain that the Sixers and Magic could work out a trade involving the #3 and #6 picks that would be agreeable to both sides.
Mr Magic Fan
Senior
And1: 433

Re: RE: Re: Who's the best FIT for the Sixers 

Post#34 » by Mr Magic Fan » Fri Jun 2, 2017 11:10 pm

Worst_to_First wrote:I am quite certain that the Sixers and Magic could work out a trade involving the #3 and #6 picks that would be agreeable to both sides.

As Magic fan I hope this happens. Just not sure what Sixers would need to close the gap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#35 » by EvanZ » Sat Jun 3, 2017 12:01 am

PhilBlackson wrote:The answer is Josh Jackson.

But Jackson is the total package. The kid does so many things for a team on the court that aren't just limited to spot up shooting which he has already started improving on and he is good off the ball. In addition to bringing more defence (which is much needed that Monk lacks) and rebounding, he has great on court intagibles. He plays with a tremendous amount of fire, competitiveness, leadership and desire to win that's hard to find and even more sorely needed in PHI. You can count on Jackson to put up a fight game in and game out. Philly needs a winner and Jackson is one.

Well, you could replace "Josh Jackson" with "Michael Kidd-Gilchrist"...that didn't go so well. Really don't see JJ being worthy of such a high pick.

If I'm Philly I trade down and pick up Monk or Donovan Mitchell, a better fit.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#36 » by Worst_to_First » Sat Jun 3, 2017 12:01 am

Mr Magic Fan wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:I am quite certain that the Sixers and Magic could work out a trade involving the #3 and #6 picks that would be agreeable to both sides.

As Magic fan I hope this happens. Just not sure what Sixers would need to close the gap.

At the end of the day the Sixers should be more focused in building a team rather than go BPA. They already have a solid foundation in place with Embiid, Saric and Simmons and could be a contender in the East sooner rather than later with Monk spreading the floor for their current guys to wreak havoc on opposing teams' defenses.

We do not really know who BPA is until after the fact. An example of this is the 2015 draft wherein Philly could have chosen Porzingis, who obviously would have been a better fit with Embiid and back then Noel. That team blew it big time in going for Okafor, who was viewed as BPA back then but definitely was not the best fit. Imagine having KP in that Sixers team right now?

The talent gap between 3 and 6 in this draft is not that huge anyway and it will not be surprising if the ROY or later down the road the best overall player was chosen in that 6th slot. I don't think it should take too much for the Magic to give up to move up unless other teams bid high in their trade proposals for #3.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#37 » by Chris76 » Sat Jun 3, 2017 2:37 pm

Worst_to_First wrote:
Mr Magic Fan wrote:

At the end of the day the Sixers should be more focused in building a team rather than go BPA. They already have a solid foundation in place with Embiid, Saric and Simmons and could be a contender in the East sooner rather than later with Monk spreading the floor for their current guys to wreak havoc on opposing teams' defenses.

We do not really know who BPA is until after the fact. An example of this is the 2015 draft wherein Philly could have chosen Porzingis, who obviously would have been a better fit with Embiid and back then Noel. That team blew it big time in going for Okafor, who was viewed as BPA back then but definitely was not the best fit. Imagine having KP in that Sixers team right now?

The talent gap between 3 and 6 in this draft is not that huge anyway and it will not be surprising if the ROY or later down the road the best overall player was chosen in that 6th slot. I don't think it should take too much for the Magic to give up to move up unless other teams bid high in their trade proposals for #3.

Monk would be a good fit with his 3 point shooting, but the sixers need perimeter defense, too. Monk may struggle with defense. Jackson and fox seem to be elite defensive prospects. Although, jackson seems to be BPA at 3, he also fits well with simmons. Embiid, Saric, and hopefully Simmons will be able to provide enough spacing to allow jackson's other impactful skills flourish. It would take a lot to move from 3 to 6.
ChiBullsBears
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#38 » by ChiBullsBears » Sat Jun 3, 2017 8:13 pm

I don't think Josh Jackson is even a top 5 player in the draft. I go with malik monk for the Sixers.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,649

Post#39 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jun 3, 2017 8:50 pm

I think the question should be whos the best fit between Tatum/Jackson/Fox. Anyone else taken at the 3rd pick would be a massive reach. Overall in the top 10 I think Monk or Mitchell (if you have him in the top 10) are the best fits. But no way am I taking either one of those guys at 3. So if its between the first 3 guys then I would have to say Tatum. You need a true elite perimeter scorer to pair with Embiid and Simmons and Tatum looks to be that guy. Its weird before the season Tatum was known as a bad defender then during the season he was known as a good defender then after the season is over he is being called a bad defender again. I think Tatum alongside Simmons would give you two giant forwards that are capable ball handlers and Tatum would be able to play off Simmons very well.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#40 » by Chris76 » Sat Jun 3, 2017 9:25 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I think the question should be whos the best fit between Tatum/Jackson/Fox. Anyone else taken at the 3rd pick would be a massive reach. Overall in the top 10 I think Monk or Mitchell (if you have him in the top 10) are the best fits. But no way am I taking either one of those guys at 3. So if its between the first 3 guys then I would have to say Tatum. You need a true elite perimeter scorer to pair with Embiid and Simmons and Tatum looks to be that guy. Its weird before the season Tatum was known as a bad defender then during the season he was known as a good defender then after the season is over he is being called a bad defender again. I think Tatum alongside Simmons would give you two giant forwards that are capable ball handlers and Tatum would be able to play off Simmons very well.

Before the draft selection, i thought the sixers were getting the 4th pick from standings and i wanted Tatum as BPA at 4, thinking Jackson would be gone. He seems like a Melo type shooting potential, very valuable. Anyway, its amazing how Hinkie is still affecting the sixers in a positive way. The pick swap was a smart additon to his trades. Jerry Colangelo recently said on Phila talk radio, Hinkie didn't have a plan and took to long. However, the sixers are still benefiting from his shortsightedness a year after he was forced to leave. A pick swap moving from 5 to 3 and 2 unprotected picks from the lakers and kings the next 2 years.

Return to NBA Draft