Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 384

6'10" tall, 7'4" Wingspan. Who you got? 

Post#1 » by pad300 » Thu Jun 1, 2017 3:58 pm

Ok, there are several very physically similar prospects in this draft;
All of them are roughly 6'10" tall, 7'4" wingspan, ~235 lbs, PF's (some stretchier than others).

Jonah Bolden
DJ Wilson
Jonathan Motley
(Caleb Swanigan also kinda fits the criteria, but his game is very different)

I would actually take them in the order I presented them:

Bolden (demonstrated 3 pt shot, played in a pro league against men )
Wilson (rebounding is weak-ish...)
Motley (no demonstrated range, a year older)

What order would you pick these 3 in and why?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: 6'10" tall, 7'4" Wingspan. Who you got? 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Thu Jun 1, 2017 4:01 pm

Of those, Bolden over the other 2 by a mile, has a better perimeter play, is the lesser athlete but it's still mobile, much better on ball skills

I like Motley as an energy big that can outrun his defender but he aint bringing much on offense unless he can hone that shot, an I am not overly optimistic, as for Wilson, he is just too weak, if you play him at the 4 there are actual wings that are better even if smaller at the big men things and if you play him at the 5 you might get amazing spacing but also get killed everywhere else.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,520

Post#3 » by zzaj » Thu Jun 1, 2017 4:37 pm

Bolden by a long shot. Although his FT% bothers me a little bit...
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#4 » by doordoor123 » Thu Jun 1, 2017 4:43 pm

I would also say Bolden, but I think in terms of how they'll be drafted it'll be like this: Swanigan, Bolden, Wilson, Motley. Think Wilson and Motley could be interchangeable depending on team need.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#5 » by Nolan » Thu Jun 1, 2017 4:45 pm

Add me to the Bolden fan club.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#6 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 1, 2017 5:30 pm

pad300 wrote:Ok, there are several very physically similar prospects in this draft;
All of them are roughly 6'10" tall, 7'4" wingspan, ~235 lbs, PF's (some stretchier than others).

Jonah Bolden
DJ Wilson
Jonathan Motley

Where's Thomas Bryant? Also, for the record, all of these guys are centers. It's guys like Josh Jackson and Jonathan Isaac that will be 4's in the league going forward.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#7 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jun 1, 2017 5:43 pm

Doesnt Giles kind of fit in this group as well? 6'10.5" with a 7'3.5" wingspan. Or are we just talking late 1st round-2nd round guys?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#8 » by doordoor123 » Thu Jun 1, 2017 6:19 pm

EvanZ wrote:
pad300 wrote:Ok, there are several very physically similar prospects in this draft;

Jonah Bolden
DJ Wilson
Jonathan Motley

Where's Thomas Bryant? Also, for the record, all of these guys are centers. It's guys like Josh Jackson and Jonathan Isaac that will be 4's in the league going forward.

Thomas Bryant can barely play 4 or 5 because he's so slow on defense. It'll be hard to keep him in a game unless he could score a lot and he still needs to develop a lot to get to that point. Or he needs to get stronger and learn how to defend.

And there is no way Josh Jackson will be able to play 4. He could play against small-ball fours like Igoudala, but he's in no way a 4.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 384

Post#9 » by pad300 » Thu Jun 1, 2017 6:59 pm

Ok, wrt to Giles and Thomas Bryant, this topic was kind of about the "modern stretch PF" (in the back of my head), which is why I separated Swanigan. I don't really think of Giles or Bryant in that role; Thomas is definitely not a guy who will be switching onto guards on the perimeter; he is much more a Swanigan. Giles is an interesting thought, but again, he is more of a 4/5 prospect than a stretch 4. That being said, if you want to put them into your ranking order go ahead.

The other thing that is interesting about the results so far is that everyone who gave an order/ranking likes Bolden - while both DraftExpress and NBADraft.net currently have them in the Wilson/Motley/Bolden order. Tankathon has Motley/Wilson/Bolden. What are they seeing/thinking that "we" don't?
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#10 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 1, 2017 7:01 pm

pad300 wrote:Ok, wrt to Giles and Thomas Bryant, this topic was kind of about the "modern stretch PF" (in the back of my head), which is why I separated Swanigan. I don't really think of Giles or Bryant in that role; Thomas is definitely not a guy who will be switching onto guards on the perimeter; he is much more a Swanigan. Giles is an interesting thought, but again, he is more of a 4/5 prospect than a stretch 4. That being said, if you want to put them into your ranking order go ahead.

The other thing that is interesting about the results so far is that everyone who gave an order/ranking likes Bolden - while both DraftExpress and NBADraft.net currently have them in the Wilson/Motley/Bolden order. Tankathon has Motley/Wilson/Bolden. What are they seeing/thinking that "we" don't?

Bryant is a better shooter than most of these guys. Also a better athlete than people think. Look at his combine numbers and compare them to these guys. Most of the guys you listed (outside of Swanigan who I like too), can't even shoot free throws. If you can't even shoot free throws, you're not going to stretch anything.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#11 » by reanimator » Thu Jun 1, 2017 7:30 pm

I like Bolden's frame, fluidity, and stroke better than DJ's even if he isn't as long and is a bigger unknown.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,520

Post#12 » by zzaj » Fri Jun 2, 2017 12:03 am

EvanZ wrote:

Jonah Bolden
DJ Wilson
Jonathan Motley

Centers? Bolden has played PF and SF. He plays SF for FMP Beograd. He felt he was being used wrong as a PF at UCLA. As soon as he left and started playing SF, he started playing well.

As a small ball, stretch C in spurts? Sure I could see that. But he'll be a stretch PF or SF in the NBA. Drafting him as a future Center makes no sense, IMO.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#13 » by GimmeDat » Fri Jun 2, 2017 5:45 am

Bolden <3

I feel like there's a lot that separates him to the other guys mentioned so I won't break down everything, but I would simply say he's got the highest offensive potential and arguably the most versatile defender as well.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#14 » by bondom34 » Fri Jun 2, 2017 5:48 am

I want OKC to take Bolden possibly at 21. He's my pick.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
No-Man
RealGM

Post#15 » by No-Man » Fri Jun 2, 2017 5:59 am

bondom34 wrote:I want OKC to take Bolden possibly at 21. He's my pick.

for OKC? why? if anything you need a wing, not a PF/C
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by bondom34 » Fri Jun 2, 2017 6:05 am

Fischella wrote:

He's been playing SF, and if he can swing to the 4 that works because Gibson's probably gone.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#17 » by GimmeDat » Fri Jun 2, 2017 6:17 am

bondom34 wrote:
Fischella wrote:

He's been playing SF, and if he can swing to the 4 that works because Gibson's probably gone.

Would be a great choice at 21 imo. (I'm probably one of the people highest on Bolden here, put him @ 14 on my mock, so I might just be biased, we'll see). I think 20-25 is his more realistic range though - at the end of the day, he is a pretty unknown quantity.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#18 » by No-Man » Fri Jun 2, 2017 6:32 am

bondom34 wrote:
Fischella wrote:

He is clearly a 4, playing him at the 3 aint a good idea, his stroke isnt good enough, neither is he athletic to go by those guys.

Thing is Grant is a PF/C, Roberson should be playing more PF if he is back and you want some modicum of shooting, +Sabonis too, and Bolden ain't even a great shooter.

If I am OKC guys like Hart, Derrick White, Justin and Frank Jackson, or even Kennard (although he'd be a reach at 21 imo) would intrigue me much more if they are there.

I'd probably pick Cyrille Eliezer-Vanerot or Devin Robinson if you consider Bolden a combo-F ahead of him in that regard too, heck Dillon Brooks.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by bondom34 » Fri Jun 2, 2017 6:44 am

Fischella wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Fischella wrote:for OKC? why? if anything you need a wing, not a PF/C

He is clearly a 4, playing him at the 3 aint a good idea, his stroke isnt good enough, neither is he athletic to go by those guys.

Thing is Grant is a PF/C, Roberson should be playing more PF if he is back and you want some modicum of shooting, +Sabonis too, and Bolden ain't even a great shooter.

If I am OKC guys like Hart, Derrick White, Justin and Frank Jackson, or even Kennard (although he'd be a reach at 21 imo) would intrigue me much more if they are there.

I'd probably pick Cyrille Eliezer-Vanerot or Devin Robinson if you consider Bolden a combo-F ahead of him in that regard too, heck Dillon Brooks.

The reason that he left UCLA was because he wasn't a PF, and has played better since. I'd take Semi over either of those guys, I'd love Kennard but think he's gone in the teens. My top 3 are Evans, Kennard, Bolden right now.

Edit: Bolden also just shot 42 percent for 3.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#20 » by No-Man » Fri Jun 2, 2017 7:35 am

bondom34 wrote:
Fischella wrote:
bondom34 wrote:He's been playing SF, and if he can swing to the 4 that works because Gibson's probably gone.

The reason that he left UCLA was because he wasn't a PF, and has played better since. I'd take Semi over either of those guys, I'd love Kennard but think he's gone in the teens. My top 3 are Evans, Kennard, Bolden right now.

Edit: Bolden also just shot 42 percent for 3.

Bolden shot also from the european line and shot only 61.5 from the FT line, not saying he is a bad shooter but saying that he palyed the 3 isnt true, he played a ton of 5 even in Beograd, was the tallest player o nthe court.

Semi is baaaad man, can't bend, can't defend anybody and the only thing he brings on offense is shooting and is better in isolation than coming off screens, I don't see it.

Evans would be okay, he is a good shooter at least, maybe he can play a bit with RW too, I am okay with Kennard in the late 1st, but I'd def take Hart, White and both Jacksons ahead of him, without a doubt.

Return to NBA Draft