Caleb Swanigan

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

User avatar
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,979
And1: 487
Joined: Aug 16, 2003
 

Caleb Swanigan 

Post#1 » by SaintofKillers » Fri Jun 2, 2017 1:49 pm

I really, really love his game and I feel like offensively, there's a market for guys like him.

I'm just wondering how he would work in today's NBA wherein pick and roll defense and some semblance of rim protection from your big (regardless of size) are absolutely crucial.

Caveat: I've only seen YouTube highlights so if I'm reading him wrong, my apologies. I would love to be wrong, actually.

edit - Is it just me or does he have a habit of stealing rebounds from his teammates? :rofl:
Image
Knicks Byke
Analyst
Posts: 3,129
And1: 2,173
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
   

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#2 » by Knicks Byke » Fri Jun 2, 2017 1:54 pm

Caleb Swaginan :nod:
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,354
And1: 1,072
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#3 » by doordoor123 » Fri Jun 2, 2017 3:02 pm

SaintofKillers wrote:I really, really love his game and I feel like offensively, there's a market for guys like him.

I'm just wondering how he would work in today's NBA wherein pick and roll defense and some semblance of rim protection from your big (regardless of size) are absolutely crucial.

Caveat: I've only seen YouTube highlights so if I'm reading him wrong, my apologies. I would love to be wrong, actually.

edit - Is it just me or does he have a habit of stealing rebounds from his teammates? :rofl:


He could defend the rim a little and has the size to play both PF and C. He's not a great roller, but he's mobile and sets good screens. I'll say this time and time again because he reminds me so much of a more developed Zach Randolph. There have been whispers around the league that a lot of people think he's underrated. I have him going 14 because he would fit really well on the Heat.
4PointPIay
Ballboy
Posts: 10
And1: 12
Joined: Jun 02, 2017

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#4 » by 4PointPIay » Fri Jun 2, 2017 4:10 pm

He's going to play in the league for a long time imo

I don't know how high his ceiling is, but he is a solid safe pick that does a little of everything.

One of the things I like best about him is his work ethic. He used to be a 400lbs 8th grader..To go from 400lbs 8th grader to on the verge of being a Professional basketball player shows incredible work ethic. A very underrated quality to have and a sign he will only get better.

I feel like the Spurs would take a guy like this.
The_Hater
RealGM
Posts: 70,705
And1: 23,879
Joined: May 23, 2001
     

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Fri Jun 2, 2017 4:15 pm

I think his skill set fits in much better with today's league then many people are giving credit. He could be David West with better range.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.


April 14th, 2019.
the sea duck
Senior
Posts: 515
And1: 356
Joined: Jun 27, 2007

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#6 » by the sea duck » Fri Jun 2, 2017 6:14 pm

The_Hater wrote:I think his skill set fits in much better with today's league then many people are giving credit. He could be David West with better range.


Offensively, I agree. Defensively, he's very slow. I wonder if he can get consistent court time.
The_Hater
RealGM
Posts: 70,705
And1: 23,879
Joined: May 23, 2001
     

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#7 » by The_Hater » Fri Jun 2, 2017 6:17 pm

the sea duck wrote:
The_Hater wrote:I think his skill set fits in much better with today's league then many people are giving credit. He could be David West with better range.


Offensively, I agree. Defensively, he's very slow. I wonder if he can get consistent court time.


With his long arms and big body he could play a lot of Center imo. Other than that it would likely be based on matchups but those long arms and hard work could help him make up for slower feet on the perimeter.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.


April 14th, 2019.
jonjames
Veteran
Posts: 2,688
And1: 1,752
Joined: Apr 02, 2016

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#8 » by jonjames » Sat Jun 3, 2017 1:14 am

Some ppl view him as another jared sullinger i see him as zach randolph lite. Really nice pick up for any team picking in late 1st early 2nd.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,354
And1: 1,072
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#9 » by doordoor123 » Sat Jun 3, 2017 1:51 am

jonjames wrote:Some ppl view him as another jared sullinger i see him as zach randolph lite. Really nice pick up for any team picking in late 1st early 2nd.


He's not Sullinger at all. I would be glad to debunk that thought. I'm not saying he's better because there are things that Sullinger is better at, like rebounding. But Sullinger can't run the floor, Swanigan can. Swanigan has a 7'4 wingspan (same as Randolph), Sullinger has a 6'11 wingspan. Swanigan has a better post game. Sullinger is stronger physically. Both are slow defensively. Swanigan lost a lot of weight, Sullinger didn't. Oh yeah and Swanigan is a better shooter than Sullinger was. I think both have solid timing for blocks, but I also think that wingspan will go a long way in terms of getting more blocks than Sullinger in the NBA.

I'd say the big difference between Sullinger and Randolph and one of the reasons I think Randolph was so successful was his agressiveness. And I think Randolph was a bit more fluid, but Sullinger has a more advanced game at that age.

I also think losing all that weight gives Swanigan some more upside and the fact that he did it all in one year says something about his work ethic to be in the NBA. He really loves basketball and wants to get better, I think that goes a long way.
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,150
And1: 15,882
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#10 » by GimmeDat » Sat Jun 3, 2017 3:54 am

I think his value will be determined by whether he can prove to be a decent rim protector and therefore a smaller 5. He's got the length but maybe not the lift.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,354
And1: 1,072
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#11 » by doordoor123 » Sat Jun 3, 2017 4:16 am

GimmeDat wrote:I think his value will be determined by whether he can prove to be a decent rim protector and therefore a smaller 5. He's got the length but maybe not the lift.


He has good shot-blocking instincts, I don't necessarily think he's going to be a rim protector. He definitely can't start as a 5 IMO, but I think he can be successful as a 4 next to a guy like Nerlens Noel, Hassan Whiteside, Willie Cauley-Stein. He can stretch the floor and would be good with any center that can slide with wings or a center that can hold his ground with size and length (Like Blake Griffin to DeAndre Jordan). And the reason I think he would work on Miami is because they have a good pace that he can work with and Hassan Whiteside just makes it so easy for him. Swanigan is a good passer too. Also think he would be good on the Knicks in the Triangle next to Porzingis. Indiana also worked him out, but I'm not sure how well Turner defends the wing.
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,150
And1: 15,882
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#12 » by GimmeDat » Sat Jun 3, 2017 5:26 am

doordoor123 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:I think his value will be determined by whether he can prove to be a decent rim protector and therefore a smaller 5. He's got the length but maybe not the lift.


He has good shot-blocking instincts, I don't necessarily think he's going to be a rim protector. He definitely can't start as a 5 IMO, but I think he can be successful as a 4 next to a guy like Nerlens Noel, Hassan Whiteside, Willie Cauley-Stein. He can stretch the floor and would be good with any center that can slide with wings or a center that can hold his ground with size and length (Like Blake Griffin to DeAndre Jordan). And the reason I think he would work on Miami is because they have a good pace that he can work with and Hassan Whiteside just makes it so easy for him. Swanigan is a good passer too. Also think he would be good on the Knicks in the Triangle next to Porzingis. Indiana also worked him out, but I'm not sure how well Turner defends the wing.


I'm just more concerned about his ability to step out on D, I guess, so I'm not sure about him as a PF. Maybe if he slims down even more?
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,354
And1: 1,072
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#13 » by doordoor123 » Sat Jun 3, 2017 5:59 am

GimmeDat wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:I think his value will be determined by whether he can prove to be a decent rim protector and therefore a smaller 5. He's got the length but maybe not the lift.


He has good shot-blocking instincts, I don't necessarily think he's going to be a rim protector. He definitely can't start as a 5 IMO, but I think he can be successful as a 4 next to a guy like Nerlens Noel, Hassan Whiteside, Willie Cauley-Stein. He can stretch the floor and would be good with any center that can slide with wings or a center that can hold his ground with size and length (Like Blake Griffin to DeAndre Jordan). And the reason I think he would work on Miami is because they have a good pace that he can work with and Hassan Whiteside just makes it so easy for him. Swanigan is a good passer too. Also think he would be good on the Knicks in the Triangle next to Porzingis. Indiana also worked him out, but I'm not sure how well Turner defends the wing.


I'm just more concerned about his ability to step out on D, I guess, so I'm not sure about him as a PF. Maybe if he slims down even more?


I'm thinking he's a 4 offensively and on defense he would be a 5. And the 5 would have to be able to guard the opposing 4.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,769
And1: 279
Joined: Apr 04, 2009
Location: Utah
 

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#14 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Sun Jun 4, 2017 6:22 am

I'm a massive fan of Swanigans' offensive game. The dude is just incredibly skilled on that end of the floor.

That being said, I haven't seen much tape of him as a defender, and when I've watched him play (limited), he's looked like a pretty big liability on the perimeter. Can anyone that's seen him play more shed some light on this? I mean, if he was even a slightly below average perimeter defender and showed flashes of being able to stay in front of guys, I think he's easily a lottery talent. But most mocks have him projected to go mid to early 2nd round. That seems too low to me, but if his perimeter defense is bad enough that he'll be a major liability, then I get it.

Any additional insight on his perimeter D?
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
Bucks2585
Junior
Posts: 413
And1: 62
Joined: Jun 16, 2013

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#15 » by Bucks2585 » Tue Jun 6, 2017 3:33 am

Think he's hes pretty clearly a C. But his wingspan makes up for it. For example, a guy like Jarrett Allen has only an inch and a half standing reach on him. But he also seems like a simply natural bigger guy in terms of bulk and power. For a centers game, that going to help a ton on defense.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,354
And1: 1,072
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#16 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jun 6, 2017 3:37 am

Bucks2585 wrote:Think he's hes pretty clearly a C. But his wingspan makes up for it. For example, a guy like Jarrett Allen has only an inch and a half standing reach on him. But he also seems like a simply natural bigger guy in terms of bulk and power. For a centers game, that going to help a ton on defense.


Positions are based on offense, not defense. He's a power forward/center. He can definitely play both positions offensively. He just needs a center next to him that can defend wings.
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,150
And1: 15,882
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#17 » by GimmeDat » Tue Jun 6, 2017 4:42 am

doordoor123 wrote:
Bucks2585 wrote:Think he's hes pretty clearly a C. But his wingspan makes up for it. For example, a guy like Jarrett Allen has only an inch and a half standing reach on him. But he also seems like a simply natural bigger guy in terms of bulk and power. For a centers game, that going to help a ton on defense.


Positions are based on offense, not defense. He's a power forward/center. He can definitely play both positions offensively. He just needs a center next to him that can defend wings.


I disagree, I think positions are based on defense. There's nothing about Caleb that suggests to me that he's not a C skill-set wise either. He's got a pretty all-around big man game and his frame is ideally suited to C, should he be able to defend the position adequately.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,354
And1: 1,072
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#18 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jun 6, 2017 4:56 am

GimmeDat wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
Bucks2585 wrote:Think he's hes pretty clearly a C. But his wingspan makes up for it. For example, a guy like Jarrett Allen has only an inch and a half standing reach on him. But he also seems like a simply natural bigger guy in terms of bulk and power. For a centers game, that going to help a ton on defense.


Positions are based on offense, not defense. He's a power forward/center. He can definitely play both positions offensively. He just needs a center next to him that can defend wings.


I disagree, I think positions are based on defense. There's nothing about Caleb that suggests to me that he's not a C skill-set wise either. He's got a pretty all-around big man game and his frame is ideally suited to C, should he be able to defend the position adequately.


Defense is so switchable nowadays, there are centers that can defend wings. If you're a power forward, you can stretch the floor, shoot 16 footer and play from the high post. Centers nowadays are rollers and low post players. In small line-ups they're rim-runners and stretch the floor. Caleb offensively can play power forward. When I think of power forward on defense, I really don't know what to think that is because it could be anything. Center kind of has a position on defense because they usually need to roam in the middle, but other than that not really.

I was taught positions are offensive.
Roy The Natural
Head Coach
Posts: 6,274
And1: 2,744
Joined: Nov 07, 2014

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#19 » by Roy The Natural » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:54 am

So now that Portland has drafted them. How would watchers compare him to guys like:

Kevin Love?

Zach Randolph?

Jared Sullinger?

Boris Diaw?

Aren't these some players who have somewhat similar skills and limitations? What's the pie in the sky? What's the reasonable? What's the floor?
jonjames
Veteran
Posts: 2,688
And1: 1,752
Joined: Apr 02, 2016

Re: Caleb Swanigan 

Post#20 » by jonjames » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:38 pm

Portland is gonna love swanigan..great great pickup for you guys. despite his defensive woes he will crack the starter rotation sooner or later bc of his offensive prowess and rebounding.

Return to NBA Draft