Your comparison of Josh Jackson vs Jaylen Brown before the draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Re: Your comparison of Josh Jackson vs Jaylen Brown before the draft 

Post#21 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Jun 5, 2017 9:18 pm

paulbball wrote:Why do people keep on making posts and writing essays on Jaylen Brown. You can find this on every draft forum.

I personally don't care about an underwhelming #3 pick.

Jackson is better than the Brown we know in every way. Pre-draft, they are maybe a bit closer.

Jackson is def the much better prospect coming out yet how was Brown a underwhelming pick after a pretty nice rookie season? Have you watched his play this season? Outside shooting seemed like the biggest question mark coming out for both yet Brown actually looked improved his rookie season, he had improved efficiency and the second best ts% behind Brogdan for non big men in the draft class.He also doesn't have the mechanics question mark nor was he poor at the free throw line, he also seemed better at finishing through contact. There actually a few things Brown has shown over Jackson, Jackson is just a more complete player and more likely to hit his ceiling.Though if anything Brown has negated some of his question marks with his play this season.
Knicks Byke
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,210

Post#22 » by Knicks Byke » Mon Jun 5, 2017 11:01 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:Jackson is the better overall athlete and smarter player - more advanced with the ball. Jaylen has the better first step, so despite being less skilled, I think he has a quicker route to scoring a lot of points.

I think Jackson will end up as a more athletic Josh Howard, Jaylen as a better defending Corey Maggette.

Josh Howard is a name I haven't heard in a long time, good comparison.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#23 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon Jun 5, 2017 11:24 pm

Knicks Byke wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:Jackson is the better overall athlete and smarter player - more advanced with the ball. Jaylen has the better first step, so despite being less skilled, I think he has a quicker route to scoring a lot of points.

I think Jackson will end up as a more athletic Josh Howard, Jaylen as a better defending Corey Maggette.

Yeah, that's an interesting comp for Jackson. Howard had his moments, helping the Mavs reach the Finals, and also making an All-Star appearance. Hopefully, Jackson is able to sustain that caliber of play unlike Howard.
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#24 » by cksdayoff » Tue Jun 6, 2017 12:19 am

concerning jaylen brown, before the draft, i never considered him to be a potential star. josh jackson on the other hand, i believe he has star potential.
#failforfultz
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#25 » by whatchaknow » Tue Jun 6, 2017 2:58 am

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:
Knicks Byke wrote:

Yeah, that's an interesting comp for Jackson. Howard had his moments, helping the Mavs reach the Finals, and also making an All-Star appearance. Hopefully, Jackson is able to sustain that caliber of play unlike Howard.

I used to love josh Howard's game. Streaky shooter but solid in all aspects of the game just never dominate in one. I like the comparison but I think Jackson is quite a bit better athlete and his a higher energy player.

And on another note why is Winslow even compared to jackson? Winslow is like 6'5 Jackson is much longer than him and their style of play is completely different.

I actually like both Jackson and brown as prospects. I'd give jackson an edge coming out because I think he's more assertive than brown coming out. But I've seen glimpses of it in the league from brown so if he can channel that consistently I like his long term potential
XXBKXX
Senior
And1: 253

Re: RE: Re: Your comparison of Josh Jackson vs Jaylen Brown before the draft 

Post#26 » by XXBKXX » Tue Jun 6, 2017 3:55 am

Duke4life831 wrote:....We have a nice young core of these raw athletic wings that have recently come into the league with Wiggins, Winslow, Stanley, Brown and now Jackson. Each one had their own strengths and major question marks, its going to be fun watching these guys improve and see who can fill out their game the best.

JJ and Wiggins are head and shoulders above the rest of that bunch as prospects.. even heads up I'd give JJ the nod over wiggins given his mentality and overall game. The rest are tiers below them.

This thread is kind of silly imo. JJ is getting severely under rated and I think everyone is just knit picking or just shows how deep this draft is. People are putting too much emphasis in the hitch in his shot. It's by no means irreparable or damning. If he had a "normal" shot and had the same percentages (38% from 3) I don't see why he wouldn't be drafted number 1. Reggie Miller had a worse form than JJ imo.

Sent from my XT1650 using RealGM mobile app
BK
-----------------------
Lakers / Angels / Dolphins
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Post#27 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jun 6, 2017 4:13 am

XXBKXX wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:....We have a nice young core of these raw athletic wings that have recently come into the league with Wiggins, Winslow, Stanley, Brown and now Jackson. Each one had their own strengths and major question marks, its going to be fun watching these guys improve and see who can fill out their game the best.

JJ and Wiggins are head and shoulders above the rest of that bunch as prospects.. even heads up I'd give JJ the nod over wiggins given his mentality and overall game. The rest are tiers below them.

This thread is kind of silly imo. JJ is getting severely under rated and I think everyone is just knit picking or just shows how deep this draft is. People are putting too much emphasis in the hitch in his shot. It's by no means irreparable or damning. If he had a "normal" shot and had the same percentages (38% from 3) I don't see why he wouldn't be drafted number 1. Reggie Miller had a worse form than JJ imo.

I agree that I think people are people too much into Jackson's shot mechanics. And I agree that I think the majority of people have Wiggins and JJ as the best 2 prospects in that group. I personally dont, I dont think Wiggins is that special of a talent and his lack of defense, rebounding and facilitating has always been a glaring hole in his game in my opinion.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,591

Post#28 » by SelfishPlayer » Tue Jun 6, 2017 8:56 am

I rank Wiggins ahead of Josh Jackson too. Jaylen Brown and Wiggins are scoring wings that can iso on the wing and get money all day long. Josh Jackson is one of these "positionless basketball" AAU frankensteins where he can handle the ball pretty well against transition defense, and do a nice job if provided a pick, but outside of that he has the game of a stretch four, he wants to post up on the block, or spread the floor possibly attacking closeouts. That's a strange player, he has a huge hole in his game and one of his skills is possibly a duplicate of someone already ten times better than him on the roster during his career. Who is going to let Josh Jackson run the pick & roll with Harden already on the team? John Wall already on the team?
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,045

Post#29 » by The-Power » Tue Jun 6, 2017 11:37 am

whatchaknow wrote:And on another note why is Winslow even compared to jackson? Winslow is like 6'5 Jackson is much longer than him and their style of play is completely different.

Wingspan and standing reach are roughly the same between Jackson and Winslow, fwiw.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#30 » by thamadkant » Tue Jun 6, 2017 11:43 am

Maybe Josh Jackson becomes a more athletic, better defending Evan Turner... but with a better 3pt shot,
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,591

Post#31 » by SelfishPlayer » Tue Jun 6, 2017 11:48 am

Physically and athletically Josh Jackson is built like Chandler Parsons and Steven Jackson.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#32 » by The_Hater » Wed Jun 7, 2017 8:44 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
XXBKXX wrote:

I agree that I think people are people too much into Jackson's shot mechanics. And I agree that I think the majority of people have Wiggins and JJ as the best 2 prospects in that group. I personally dont, I dont think Wiggins is that special of a talent and his lack of defense, rebounding and facilitating has always been a glaring hole in his game in my opinion.

Wiggins might score more points than Rudy Gay, but 3 years later that comparison is still right on point IMO. And I'm Canadian so my hopes and bias for Wiggins to become great were always there.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater

Post#33 » by The_Hater » Wed Jun 7, 2017 8:46 pm

1UPZ wrote:Maybe Josh Jackson becomes a more athletic, better defending Evan Turner... but with a better 3pt shot,

If a prospect is projected better than his comparison in every regard, doesn't that make it a poor comparison?

That's said I loved Turner coming out of college so now you've got me a bit scared for Jackson.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#34 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jun 7, 2017 8:52 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
XXBKXX wrote:

Wiggins might score more points than Rudy Gay, but 3 years later that comparison is still right on point IMO. And I'm Canadian so my hopes and bias for Wiggins to become great were always there.

Yup I remember before he reclassified in high school, a buddy of mine told me he was Rudy Gay 2.0. And ever since then thats how Ive seen him. Hes an athletic long high volume scorer and not much else. Rudy is a slightly better rebounder though and I dont think Rudy has ever been as bad defensively as Wiggins has been these first 3 years.

But just like Rudy I think Wiggins is going to be a guy that always puts up pretty good box score numbers but never really helps a team win, just like Rudy. And the only reason he scores more points than Rudy is because he gets more shots than Rudy.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#35 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jun 7, 2017 8:59 pm

The-Power wrote:
whatchaknow wrote:And on another note why is Winslow even compared to jackson? Winslow is like 6'5 Jackson is much longer than him and their style of play is completely different.

Wingspan and standing reach are roughly the same between Jackson and Winslow, fwiw.

They actually have pretty similar games as well. Both defensive first athletic wings that shot well from 3 in college but with massive question marks because of their form. Winslow like Jackson has good handles and is an underrated facilitator, Winslow was averaging close to 4 assists this year before getting injured. Jackson is a little better on the offensive end while Winslow was a little better on the defensive end.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#36 » by nolang1 » Wed Jun 7, 2017 9:15 pm

1UPZ wrote:Maybe Josh Jackson becomes a more athletic, better defending Evan Turner... but with a better 3pt shot,

The player you described would easily be an All-Star, and this is coming from someone who has never been a fan of Turner. I mean, that basically describes Jimmy Butler.
The_Hater

Post#37 » by The_Hater » Wed Jun 7, 2017 9:28 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Yup I remember before he reclassified in high school, a buddy of mine told me he was Rudy Gay 2.0. And ever since then thats how Ive seen him. Hes an athletic long high volume scorer and not much else. Rudy is a slightly better rebounder though and I dont think Rudy has ever been as bad defensively as Wiggins has been these first 3 years.

But just like Rudy I think Wiggins is going to be a guy that always puts up pretty good box score numbers but never really helps a team win, just like Rudy. And the only reason he scores more points than Rudy is because he gets more shots than Rudy.

I do think Wiggins is a bit better as a scorer. Rudy was an ok scorer on a balanced Memphis team and then a horrific #1 option on the Raptor. He was ok again as the #2 option On the Kings.

I question the bball Iq of both players however. Both are what happens when extremely talented players lack both instincts and smarts.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#38 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jun 7, 2017 9:40 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

I do think Wiggins is a bit better as a scorer. Rudy was an ok scorer on a balanced Memphis team and then a horrific #1 option on the Raptor. He was ok again as the #2 option On the Kings.

I question the bball Iq of both players however. Both are what happens when extremely talented players lack both instincts and smarts.

I havent really seen anything from Wiggins that I havent seen from Rudy. Wiggins might be a little more effective slashing but Rudy is the better mid range shooter. All their shooting numbers are really similar.

But I agree 100%, both of these guys are what you think of as physically perfect basketball players. Both players great athletes and long, Wiggins a little more athletic than Gay but Gay is so freaking long with his 7'3 wingspan. If youre in a lab making the perfect NBA player, these two are it when talking about physical. But ya they both lack the IQ and that fire that you need. Both guys so easily fade away during games and you forget theyre even on the court lots of times.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#39 » by Patsfan1081 » Wed Jun 7, 2017 11:16 pm

Isn't Turner a pretty good defender and facilitator? I dont see the Wiggins comp. As for Jackson, yeah people are underating him, but I also believe people underestimate Brown's potential because he didn't play much this season.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,158

Post#40 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Jun 8, 2017 12:10 am

I wouldn't compare them, Jackson is clearly better.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley

Return to NBA Draft